5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Why is the 5th gen Maxima impossible to sell?

Old 10-21-2017, 02:08 PM

Why is the 5th gen Maxima impossible to sell?

I've had an '03 Titanium edition 6-speed manual listed for several months, lowered the price many times, it's clean and drives good. It has some synchro wear but not horrid, a slightly noisy throwout bearing, and some rust around the rear fenderwells. Everything works on this car and the only options I don't have are leather/memory seats, limited slip, and the satellite nav.

Just feel like venting. I have looked at cars that cost more than what I'm asking and they look awful and things are broken on them (AC doesn't work, doesn't start good, needs tires, etc.). I had an old Buick years ago that unsurprisingly wasn't worth anything even though everything worked. But this is a Japanese car and yet it's still viewed as worthless by 95% of car buyers. Do people just have no idea how decent these cars are? Or is anything this old just considered **** unless it's a sports car? Every time I see comments on Maximas people remark how they like the 4th and 5th gens, and here I have the least common configuration with the most power and barely get one contact per week that flakes and never responds after I contact them.

Selling cars sucks really bad. Everyone just wants you to give your car away essentially unless you have some uber rare unicorn car. And even then most will flake and never contact you again.
Old 10-21-2017, 02:16 PM

"Doesn't start good"
No "A.C."
Two reasons
Old 10-21-2017, 02:30 PM

Maximas have always had a low resale value. I used to make a killing on them when I was a car salesman. We could buy them cheap at auction but people fell in love with them if I could get them on a test drive. I'm not sure why the resale is so low but it makes them a great value.

How much are you asking?
I think rust scares more people these days. Anyone can hop online and find a completely rust free car from the south and ship it for around the same price.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:12 PM

I know it sucks but factually these are bland, boring, grandma cars.
For the money these are an excellent value though!
but nobody buys these looking for power because it's a big boring looking boat 5th gen maxima.

nobody wants a manual. you say it grinds too?
it's a 3.5 so can i assume it eats oil? What do they say after you tell them you need to put 1qt a week in it?

how much are you asking?

here's one thats kinda like yours looks.

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/...291710576.html

another one on the first page.

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/...317521565.html

here's a super clean one kinda on the expensive side but you get it.
probably market value is about $2,000 in my opinion.

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/...349279738.html

btw i'm not trying to be negative just saying what i think the reality is.

probably the people that buy these are ppl who want to buy something for their kid as a 1st car.
and people that just need something that runs and has a/c that isn't a civic or a compact car.

Last edited by Donkeypunch; 10-21-2017 at 03:15 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by maximatech12
"Doesn't start good"
No "A.C."
Two reasons
You need to slow down and read the thread again.
Old 10-21-2017, 04:08 PM
Administrator

The economy is doing somewhat ok at the moment, people are willing to spend money and don't want a 14 year old car w/o all the latest gadgets, let alone deal with rust. Plus tranny work = $$$.

the car may be a manual, but anyone looking for manual probably wants something rear wheel drive and designed as a sports car.
Old 10-21-2017, 04:15 PM

heres the sad reality of today's buyers, not very many people today know how to drive stick. like myself I can drive stick. A lot of people are going for automatic. if you look at the market today's cars are all automatic. Only manual are usually gonna be found on very far and few which are usually sports car such as Mustang and Camaros and the 370Z. not a lot of people want a manual on a 4 door, which is pretty much died few years ago.
Old 10-21-2017, 04:33 PM

I have it at $3k, for kicks I poke around and see what other cars are out there and I see $5k cars that still are old and don't look that great and have more miles. I have around 156k miles on it so all the examples provided are higher mileage than mine too. Really, if I kept driving this car besides adding a quart of oil every 1k miles or so I don't think I'd have any issues at least until 200k. It doesn't do anything like burn blue out the back, doesn't need tires, doesn't need new brakes or rotors.

Ironic really, to me the fact that it's a manual sedan is great since it's practical and yet still fun. I test drove a 370z, it's faster and better handling than the old Maxima but for what it cost it was way less practical and not as comfortable. Plus that VQ37 is surprisingly very mechanical sounding, old VQ35 sounds better IMO. More reality is probably everyone just wants SUVs anymore, that's all I ever see driving around me. In my ads I have very explicitly mentioned it's manual and shown pictures of the pedals and shifter and still get people that when I call and mention it are like "Oh I thought it was an automatic"...really.

I know it's just $500 or so to take $2,500 for it but man it feels like just getting beat up on price something awful. I have a buddy who got $3,200 for a '97 Civic and it was not anything special and here I can't get even less than that for a newer car with more power and features.

Last edited by Vistance; 10-21-2017 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 06:05 PM

I agree with Derrick, rust would be a huge deterrence for me and a lot of other people. A simple Google search yields that radiator support rot is a super common issue for cars from the north, which can cause structural integrity issues (I found that my hole is like 6 inches long now).

How you word your ad makes a huge difference as well. It's easy to list all the negatives of your car, but focus more on the positives. Most people who buy these are gonna be parents buying it for their kids. They don't know what Altima SE-R rims are or what Titanium Edition means. You have to cater it towards them. Tell them how it has full power windows and the A/C works or how it has a sunroof. Then throw in the little defects one by one, but making them seem small.

Last edited by SubwayVQ; 10-21-2017 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 06:26 PM

They are getting pretty old, but my wonder is how will these newer cars sell at 10 plus years old with pcb boards inop and a zillion cool gadgets inop because the cost to fix the issues is too prohibitive.

As aftermarket supply gets harder to produce due to rising investment costs, owners will have to choose more and more between not fixing, not having a car, trading it in, etc. Or getting gouged beyond all measure on dealer service. Brakes and suspension parts are one thing, but expensive electronics are another.

This really concerns me. I like my old mans 5th gen for 13 years now.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by FanaticMadMax
heres the sad reality of today's buyers, not very many people today know how to drive stick. like myself I can drive stick.
FanaticMadMax pretty much summed it up. My 5.5 Meridian Edition is also a manual and the reality is that the demand for this type of car is low. That's why I am going to just keep it. Blue Book on the Dealer trade in with 105k miles is less than $1000 and the car is worth way more than that to me. I paid 17k in 2004 for it.

Advertisers are no longer emphasizing power but instead Bluetooth, Apple / Android Connectivity, Rear Camera, auto parking, etc.

Stick shift drivers are a rare breed in the U.S. With the onslaught of CVT's and flappy paddle shifters we are sure to see less and less on the road. I hope I get to drive my 5.5 for many more years.

Every time I walk up to a performance car and I look for the shiftgate and see an automatic I just feel like crying. I remember in the 80's when my brother had a GTI. All the performance cars could only be bought with a stick. Now some performance cars can only be had with a flappy paddle shifter. It's sad.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:43 PM

Dual clutch automatics are faster than manuals though. The only reason for companies producing manual transmissions these days is for price. It's cheaper to make a manual. There is no demand for them anymore, so most companies don't bother anymore.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Vistance
I've had an '03 Titanium edition 6-speed manual listed for several months, lowered the price many times, it's clean and drives good. It has some synchro wear but not horrid, a slightly noisy throwout bearing, and some rust around the rear fenderwells. Everything works on this car and the only options I don't have are leather/memory seats, limited slip, and the satellite nav.

Just feel like venting. I have looked at cars that cost more than what I'm asking and they look awful and things are broken on them (AC doesn't work, doesn't start good, needs tires, etc.). I had an old Buick years ago that unsurprisingly wasn't worth anything even though everything worked. But this is a Japanese car and yet it's still viewed as worthless by 95% of car buyers. Do people just have no idea how decent these cars are? Or is anything this old just considered **** unless it's a sports car? Every time I see comments on Maximas people remark how they like the 4th and 5th gens, and here I have the least common configuration with the most power and barely get one contact per week that flakes and never responds after I contact them.

Selling cars sucks really bad. Everyone just wants you to give your car away essentially unless you have some uber rare unicorn car. And even then most will flake and never contact you again.
Your going to have to put someone in it! You can't look at it like your selling a car you have to be more aggressive.
If you wouldn't drive it then why would you expect someone else to? If you think it's nice tell someone "this is what you want" "this is a used car" buy it!
slow down and read the post
Yeah your right but I haven't been involved with the Vistance posts so most of the time when a member who isn't in contact with the others here about the progress at first it establishing contact

Last edited by maximatech12; 10-21-2017 at 08:23 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:59 PM

Here's the thing. There are basically 3 types of buyers for a car this price range.
1) Parents looking for a 1st car for their kid. They want an automatic.
2) someone broke. They're not impressed by how nice or rare it is.
3) A young guy who wants a hot stick shift. He's probably looking at Civics, Accords or something like that. He doesn't even know this car exists and wont even notice it in the classifieds.

I'd park it where people have cars for sale and write "6-speed manual" and "3.5 Liter" on the windshield along with your phone#. It'll get the attention of the right people who wouldn't see it any other way. I have no doubt that you'll get calls on it if you do that.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:08 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Put it at $2300.00 and be prepared to take $1900.00

It will sell. That car probably needs a ton of work. people research things more than ever now.

Parts for those cars aren't made anymore. it is very hard to find parts for the 5th gens.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by krismax
Put it at $2300.00 and be prepared to take $1900.00

It will sell. That car probably needs a ton of work. people research things more than ever now.

Parts for those cars aren't made anymore. it is very hard to find parts for the 5th gens.
Ton of work? Then what are the other cars where stuff actually doesn't work?

My ad was very honest of the flaws, because why lie and get someone looking at it who will be disappointed I wasn't forthcoming about these things? I'll look into finding somewhere I can park it, I have it listed on multiple sites so I definitely have far more reach there than I will locally.

I am not driving it regularly anymore but I drive it maybe once a month so it doesn't sit too long. Every time I do it's enjoyable, so I agree if someone will actually get in this car and drive it I think they'll really like it.

Here's what the rust looks like btw, how awful is this? This is the only place I see it (both rear fenderwells).

Last edited by Vistance; 10-21-2017 at 09:56 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:30 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Vistance
Here's what the rust looks like btw, how awful is this? This is the only place I see it (both rear fenderwells).
2 grand for the fenders themselves and there's a lot more that you can't see from the outside. It's likely eaten into the trunk along with the side rails. Anywhere the salt has penetrated the undercoating will be rusted all the way through (likely a couple at least). Plus, we all know about the rad support.

Sure, most people won't know any of that, but it's pretty bad.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:22 AM

All these new age hipster millenial slackers are the reason car sales in general will be low. Some of them think that getting their drivers license is a chore mandated by their parents and refuse to do it! They just want to Uber everywhere and can't wait until driverless cars become a reality. Try putting your car up on Cargurus, and be prepared for people far and away to see it. Selling local might be a loosing fight for you. Hell, I'm travelling the next state over to get my car, and it's 700 miles away.

Last edited by Jagalag; 10-22-2017 at 05:25 AM.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:49 AM

Take a peek in the lowest part of bumper where the hood latch bracket bolts to the radiator support. Is there a giant rust hole there?
Old 10-22-2017, 06:15 PM

Vistance---i just noticed you have pirelli tires. I have those exact same ones...the cinturato. Those things ROCK.

​​​​​​​Brag on your tires because they are no doubt excellent treads.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:26 PM

can you post a link to your add?
Old 10-23-2017, 02:21 AM

You know why.... because for 2k more I can get an 09 Maxima with only 160k in flawless condition and all options..... most people looking for that car are the ones that really know what it is and might want a specific one.....HLSD as an example
Old 10-23-2017, 02:23 AM

Also they don't burn oil, have no rust problems, are faster, look better, etc
Old 10-23-2017, 05:04 AM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by BronxSleeperMax187
You know why.... because for 2k more I can get an 09 Maxima with only 160k in flawless condition and all options..... most people looking for that car are the ones that really know what it is and might want a specific one.....HLSD as an example
But no one wants a dead CVT when you're driving it home, either
Old 10-23-2017, 07:55 AM

I think you'll have better luck at the beginning of the year too.

Many young people in this market will have Christmas money burning a hole in their pockets. These are your customers on this car.

We'll also be entering what we called "Tax Season" in the car business. People start getting their early tax returns and looking for a cheap car to spend it on. Leading up to it, we would actually start hanging onto older trade in cars that would normally go to auction. We knew we'd be flooded with people looking for cars under $3,000 cash.

The end of the year can be a tough time to sell large ticket items. Especially to people who don't have a lot of money.
Money from summer jobs is long gone.
Students are focusing on school and not work.
Christmas spending is around the corner.
Outdoor and restaurant jobs are starting to slack in business.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by MichMaxFan
Vistance---i just noticed you have pirelli tires. I have those exact same ones...the cinturato. Those things ROCK.

​​​​​​​Brag on your tires because they are no doubt excellent treads.
me too.
they got good reviews on tire rack for a budget tire.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ll+Season+Plus
Old 10-23-2017, 09:33 AM

Which is why im driving mine till i need a new engine or tranny lol. Ive kept mine in top shape though, anything that goes bad gets replaced since it my family car and i dont wanna chance with anything going wrong on it while theyre in there. On the other hand, its a 15 year old car so you have to look at that part as well and draw a line on how much you want to spend on it to keep it in top shape. People looking at buying a $3k-$5k car or pretty much any used car are doing it to save money, the last thing they want is something with a 'few' issues that can be fixed for $100. Theyd rather give you the $100 and have a perfect car in return so yes used car market can be tough, especially on 15 year old cars which are to some extent gas guzzlers.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:09 PM

Any average guy's used car of value will normally see $700-1200 per year loss in depreciation alone, driven or not. That's my guideline and prices reflect those numbers pretty closely.

If I can fix my car for that price range i consider it the cheapest route. Maybe not the most time effective, but cheapest. Because any car has repair, and that's all in addition to the depreciation loss. Mine, of course, cannot depreciate any more so I save $1000+ per year if I can keep repair costs low. And the newer the car It just gets more costly on depreciation.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
But no one wants a dead CVT when you're driving it home, either
True....but most people that don't have problems which are way more than that do have em don't give good reviews. Nissan extended the warranty too, can't beat 120k warranty. On the 7th gen groups on FB, I see many 170-200k on original CVT still going good....another words don't stomp the pedal at every stop light lol.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:33 PM

https://www.edmunds.com/nissan/maxim...sumer-reviews/
Old 10-23-2017, 11:33 PM

Looks good here
Old 10-24-2017, 06:23 AM

old car, w secret underground enthusiast values, w rust, oh and you gotta think its less than half of the people who actually want manuals. how many miles??

do you have it for sale here in the most ideal selling platform?
Old 10-24-2017, 12:00 PM

Resale

G35s and Altimas give you the same motor and a better rear suspension for the same price. The enthusiasts will take RWD or AWD g35s. The non enthusiasts will take the more spacious and better looking Altima.

Iacv and electronic mounts, oil burning, rad support, MAF, coils, knock sensor, cam/crank position sensor, pre cats, Bose, oil pans, etc. Lots of reliability issues with 5 and 5.5 gens.

Nissan reliability went to hell when they joined up with Renault.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by ssneakster
G35s and Altimas give you the same motor and a better rear suspension for the same price. The enthusiasts will take RWD or AWD g35s. The non enthusiasts will take the more spacious and better looking Altima.

Iacv and electronic mounts, oil burning, rad support, MAF, coils, knock sensor, cam/crank position sensor, pre cats, Bose, oil pans, etc. Lots of reliability issues with 5 and 5.5 gens.

Nissan reliability went to hell when they joined up with Renault.
I would agree with half of what you listed. Lets be honest, the 5th gen doesn't share the same problems that the 5.5get has. Clearly the fist generation VQ35s were full with problems which is expected. I am sure he will be able to sell the car but once again its a pretty niche market. For comparison I sold my 98 Corolla with 248K miles in 3 days for my asking price. But again when you say Corolla everyone knows the reliability which follows those cars...
Old 10-24-2017, 02:31 PM

i feel like jalapnik should do a think on why people are mad there 2010 $40,000 535i bmw is now worth $5000 or something like that.

btw. for 3k give or take alittle but you can find much mmmmuuch better cars then the 03 maxima if you look.

clean g35
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sf...356331414.html

ya i'm just searching 2500 to 4k on craigslist there are a **** ton of way better cars out there.
too much to give examples.

not the best but what u expect for 3k?

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...323514932.html

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...352800277.html

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...359312103.html

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...355382554.html

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...359251799.html

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...352288263.html

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...358656067.html

Last edited by Donkeypunch; 10-24-2017 at 03:05 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:43 PM

LOL... the only real add was the 7 series bimmer... and honestly it would cost you another 3 grand before it becomes semi drivable
Old 10-25-2017, 01:56 PM

Just my 2 cents, but you gotta be realistic about what you can expect to get for a 14 year old car. I love the Max (I've had 4 of them over the years), and realize the value of a good used one, but I bought my '02 GLE back in '15 from a dealership, one owner, 93K miles and I only paid $2900. In addition while a manual may be a good thing for enthusiasts, it's a PITA for most people due to the heavy traffic that most people drive in. A clutch is fun if you have space to drive, but in stop and go traffic back and forth clutch action sucks! You should just keep it and drive it till the wheels fall off!
Old 10-25-2017, 03:31 PM

I'm surprised a KY car has any rust. you in a salt area?
Old 10-25-2017, 07:12 PM

still waiting to see the add on craigslist....
Old 10-26-2017, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by sanford7575
In addition while a manual may be a good thing for enthusiasts, it's a PITA for most people due to the heavy traffic that most people drive in. A clutch is fun if you have space to drive, but in stop and go traffic back and forth clutch action sucks! You should just keep it and drive it till the wheels fall off!
this was my point, the average buyer dosent even want a manual and will not even look at it if so.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why is the 5th gen Maxima impossible to sell?