5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Spare tire(donut)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 07:51 AM

Spare tire(donut)

I pulled the spare earlier this week to rotate the tires. I dont like lifting the car from the side so i lifted the front and removed the wheel replacing it with the spare.

I noticed that if you tighted the lugs too tight on the spare the steel begins bending.

What is the tightest you can get the lugs on the spare?

Last time i had it on while driving it almost came off!
I like this car but the spare tire sucks! I didnt even see that you cant go over 50MPH on it until it almost came off!
Old 01-12-2018, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by maximatech12
I pulled the spare earlier this week to rotate the tires. I dont like lifting the car from the side so i lifted the front and removed the wheel replacing it with the spare.

I noticed that if you tighted the lugs too tight on the spare the steel begins bending.

What is the tightest you can get the lugs on the spare?

Last time i had it on while driving it almost came off!
I like this car but the spare tire sucks! I didnt even see that you cant go over 50MPH on it until it almost came off!
this is common practice w a spare, they are not built for durability and speeds, they are meant to get you around town to get the problem fixed.

i dont know about the too tight thing... but snug should be good , its not like you should put a lot a miles on that wheel. maybe 10 ??

if you are worried about snug and falling off, check it again in a couple miles, again by then those couple miles u should be at a shop picking up the fixed regular wheel.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:19 AM

It's alright if it deforms a little bit. Just torque it several times in a star pattern like you would any wheel. It's mild/soft steel so it wont crack or hurt if it flexes a little. Way better than having it come off. Even if you did damage it somehow, you can get one from the salvage yard for cheap. Also, make sure you regularly check the pressure. It has a higher pressure than the regular tires and we tend to ignore them for years.

Get some jack stands instead of using the spare. You can find them used on Craigslist, pawn shops or the local flea market for very little money.

I also keep a tire plugging kit in the car. I've used it enough, on my car and others, that I've had to buy more plugs. If you can pull the nail, plug it and get to an air compressor you can be down the road $20 richer without wasting time in a tire shop. Most shops keep business hours too so...

Last edited by Derrick2k2SE; 01-12-2018 at 08:29 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:52 PM

The torque spec for wheels is 80 lb/ft. Don't be jumping on the wrench or using an impact.

I have driven a lot of miles on donut spares, one was an approx 400 mile trip. I did keep the speed down to 60, though.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:09 PM

You can cut the bottom of the spare wheel well and go with a full size spare
Old 01-12-2018, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
The torque spec for wheels is 80 lb/ft. Don't be jumping on the wrench or using an impact.

I have driven a lot of miles on donut spares, one was an approx 400 mile trip. I did keep the speed down to 60, though.
why not donuts on all four?
Old 01-13-2018, 12:50 AM

I've had 2 donuts on the car at one time. Had a delivery job back in 2012 and was getting more than my fair share of flats. Because of that, I had 3 spares, one in the trunk and 2 more in the garage. Still have them, too.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by maximatech12
why not donuts on all four?
That would be a good way to increase fuel economy. Four donuts pumped to 60 PSI would greatly reduce rolling resistance and rotating mass.

When I sold Acuras I noticed the 6-speed TL had a nice aluminum spare with a low profile donut to clear the larger brakes that came on that car. I thought about putting two of those on the rear to go to the drag strip. Never did it though.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:19 AM

I don't think those toy spare tires would work very well. The footprint is too small for good traction if used on the drive wheels. You burn rubber on those tires and they will probably explode.

But if you meant using them on the non driving wheels, then that would probably be an advantage.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
I don't think those toy spare tires would work very well. The footprint is too small for good traction if used on the drive wheels. You burn rubber on those tires and they will probably explode.

But if you meant using them on the non driving wheels, then that would probably be an advantage.
Yeah, they would go on the rear. I wouldn't even limp home with one on the front.

I never did it because I didn't want to swap wheels at the strip and I didn't want to make the 1/2 hour interstate drive on them. Especially playing around with other people on the way there.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:01 PM

The toy tires do fine on the front. My 400 mile trip was with the spare on the front. While they certainly don't look like it, they are more rugged than they appear. But having proper inflation and driving conservatively are probably key to this.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:36 PM

I put over 5000 miles on my first max spare. Drove over 100mph on it as well. So yeah if you want it's possible to beat on them. Driving with one on the front is just plain crazy though. I have never done that. I also have never had a spare tire in any car since. Waste of space. A can of fix-a-flat and some tire plugs take care if 95% of flat tires.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
I also keep a tire plugging kit in the car. I've used it enough, on my car and others, that I've had to buy more plugs. If you can pull the nail, plug it and get to an air compressor you can be down the road $20 richer without wasting time in a tire shop. Most shops keep business hours too so...
This !! has saved me a lot, so easy to do on the spot when you are in a pinch.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Theslaking
I put over 5000 miles on my first max spare. Drove over 100mph on it as well. So yeah if you want it's possible to beat on them. Driving with one on the front is just plain crazy though. I have never done that. I also have never had a spare tire in any car since. Waste of space. A can of fix-a-flat and some tire plugs take care if 95% of flat tires.
driving that speed on a dount rated at 55mph or less is just as crazy even on the back. and being lazy not getting the regular tire fixed for 5000 miles is crazier.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
driving that speed on a dount rated at 55mph or less is just as crazy even on the back. and being lazy not getting the regular tire fixed for 5000 miles is crazier.
Not lazy, ignorant. I was a 19 year old kid and bought the car off the lot. I had it all decked out visually and got a flat one day before I put my first system in the car. That's why I even had the spare still in it. The car was only a few months old. Since they were low profile on aftermarket rims no shop around me could get the tire off the rim to repair it. I rode around on it for a couple days until I could get to the city to get it repaired. All my friends kept telling me how stupid the nice car looked with it. I remember the tire saying something like do not drive on for more than 50 miles ( or whatever low rating it was ) so I decided to upset everyone else by riding around on it until the spare failed. I did have the fixed wheel in the trunk. The spare never failed and still had tread after more than 5k. I actually just threw it out a couple years ago. I was saving as a reminder of how much of an idiot I can be.

Last edited by Theslaking; 01-16-2018 at 07:21 AM.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:56 AM

I hear ya man, 5000 miles is a long time though ! =) and yea i remember upside down priories that time in life , oh the beauty...

today those obnoxious light bars are a good example of upside down priorities....

i saw one on a white work van recently ! lol
Old 01-19-2018, 02:07 AM

I was interested to read that the US 5th gens have a space saver spare, or what you guys call a donut. In New Zealand our 5th gen Maximas, and all previous generations, have full size spares, matching alloy for those with them, or steel rim for those with hubcaps. In the 1999-2002 Maximas, the spare wheel fitted into the wheel well with a small 3/4" or so protrusion above the trunk floor and the trunk mat raised as such. In the 2003 Maxima they have a polystyrene ring in the well that the spare sits on, and protrudes about 2" above the trunk floor. The floor mat is moulded specifically to fit over the wheel.

Last edited by stevesmax; 01-19-2018 at 02:10 AM.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by stevesmax
I was interested to read that the US 5th gens have a space saver spare, or what you guys call a donut. In New Zealand our 5th gen Maximas, and all previous generations, have full size spares, matching alloy for those with them, or steel rim for those with hubcaps. In the 1999-2002 Maximas, the spare wheel fitted into the wheel well with a small 3/4" or so protrusion above the trunk floor and the trunk mat raised as such. In the 2003 Maxima they have a polystyrene ring in the well that the spare sits on, and protrudes about 2" above the trunk floor. The floor mat is moulded specifically to fit over the wheel.
thats dope !! i would take that over the space saver donut !!