Spare tire(donut) - Maxima Forums



5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Spare tire(donut)

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-12-2018, 07:51 AM   #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Florida
Posts: 922
Spare tire(donut)

I pulled the spare earlier this week to rotate the tires. I dont like lifting the car from the side so i lifted the front and removed the wheel replacing it with the spare.

I noticed that if you tighted the lugs too tight on the spare the steel begins bending.

What is the tightest you can get the lugs on the spare?

Last time i had it on while driving it almost came off!
I like this car but the spare tire sucks! I didnt even see that you cant go over 50MPH on it until it almost came off!
maximatech12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:00 AM   #2  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SE PA
Posts: 4,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximatech12 View Post
I pulled the spare earlier this week to rotate the tires. I dont like lifting the car from the side so i lifted the front and removed the wheel replacing it with the spare.

I noticed that if you tighted the lugs too tight on the spare the steel begins bending.

What is the tightest you can get the lugs on the spare?

Last time i had it on while driving it almost came off!
I like this car but the spare tire sucks! I didnt even see that you cant go over 50MPH on it until it almost came off!
this is common practice w a spare, they are not built for durability and speeds, they are meant to get you around town to get the problem fixed.

i dont know about the too tight thing... but snug should be good , its not like you should put a lot a miles on that wheel. maybe 10 ??

if you are worried about snug and falling off, check it again in a couple miles, again by then those couple miles u should be at a shop picking up the fixed regular wheel.
Prophecy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:19 AM   #3  
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 2,367
It's alright if it deforms a little bit. Just torque it several times in a star pattern like you would any wheel. It's mild/soft steel so it wont crack or hurt if it flexes a little. Way better than having it come off. Even if you did damage it somehow, you can get one from the salvage yard for cheap. Also, make sure you regularly check the pressure. It has a higher pressure than the regular tires and we tend to ignore them for years.

Get some jack stands instead of using the spare. You can find them used on Craigslist, pawn shops or the local flea market for very little money.

I also keep a tire plugging kit in the car. I've used it enough, on my car and others, that I've had to buy more plugs. If you can pull the nail, plug it and get to an air compressor you can be down the road $20 richer without wasting time in a tire shop. Most shops keep business hours too so...

Last edited by Derrick2k2SE; 01-12-2018 at 08:29 AM.
Derrick2k2SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:52 PM   #4  
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 10,097
The torque spec for wheels is 80 lb/ft. Don't be jumping on the wrench or using an impact.

I have driven a lot of miles on donut spares, one was an approx 400 mile trip. I did keep the speed down to 60, though.
DennisMik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:09 PM   #5  
Senior Member
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,566
You can cut the bottom of the spare wheel well and go with a full size spare
nestorlugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:45 PM   #6  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Florida
Posts: 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisMik View Post
The torque spec for wheels is 80 lb/ft. Don't be jumping on the wrench or using an impact.

I have driven a lot of miles on donut spares, one was an approx 400 mile trip. I did keep the speed down to 60, though.
why not donuts on all four?
maximatech12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:50 AM   #7  
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 10,097
I've had 2 donuts on the car at one time. Had a delivery job back in 2012 and was getting more than my fair share of flats. Because of that, I had 3 spares, one in the trunk and 2 more in the garage. Still have them, too.
DennisMik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:05 AM   #8  
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 2,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximatech12 View Post
why not donuts on all four?
That would be a good way to increase fuel economy. Four donuts pumped to 60 PSI would greatly reduce rolling resistance and rotating mass.

When I sold Acuras I noticed the 6-speed TL had a nice aluminum spare with a low profile donut to clear the larger brakes that came on that car. I thought about putting two of those on the rear to go to the drag strip. Never did it though.
Derrick2k2SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:19 AM   #9  
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 10,097
I don't think those toy spare tires would work very well. The footprint is too small for good traction if used on the drive wheels. You burn rubber on those tires and they will probably explode.

But if you meant using them on the non driving wheels, then that would probably be an advantage.
DennisMik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:15 PM   #10  
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 2,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisMik View Post
I don't think those toy spare tires would work very well. The footprint is too small for good traction if used on the drive wheels. You burn rubber on those tires and they will probably explode.

But if you meant using them on the non driving wheels, then that would probably be an advantage.
Yeah, they would go on the rear. I wouldn't even limp home with one on the front.

I never did it because I didn't want to swap wheels at the strip and I didn't want to make the 1/2 hour interstate drive on them. Especially playing around with other people on the way there.
Derrick2k2SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:01 PM   #11  
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 10,097
The toy tires do fine on the front. My 400 mile trip was with the spare on the front. While they certainly don't look like it, they are more rugged than they appear. But having proper inflation and driving conservatively are probably key to this.
DennisMik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:36 PM   #12  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 79
I put over 5000 miles on my first max spare. Drove over 100mph on it as well. So yeah if you want it's possible to beat on them. Driving with one on the front is just plain crazy though. I have never done that. I also have never had a spare tire in any car since. Waste of space. A can of fix-a-flat and some tire plugs take care if 95% of flat tires.
Theslaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:21 AM   #13  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SE PA
Posts: 4,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE View Post
I also keep a tire plugging kit in the car. I've used it enough, on my car and others, that I've had to buy more plugs. If you can pull the nail, plug it and get to an air compressor you can be down the road $20 richer without wasting time in a tire shop. Most shops keep business hours too so...
This !! has saved me a lot, so easy to do on the spot when you are in a pinch.
Prophecy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:22 AM   #14  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SE PA
Posts: 4,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theslaking View Post
I put over 5000 miles on my first max spare. Drove over 100mph on it as well. So yeah if you want it's possible to beat on them. Driving with one on the front is just plain crazy though. I have never done that. I also have never had a spare tire in any car since. Waste of space. A can of fix-a-flat and some tire plugs take care if 95% of flat tires.
driving that speed on a dount rated at 55mph or less is just as crazy even on the back. and being lazy not getting the regular tire fixed for 5000 miles is crazier.
Prophecy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:19 AM   #15  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophecy99 View Post
driving that speed on a dount rated at 55mph or less is just as crazy even on the back. and being lazy not getting the regular tire fixed for 5000 miles is crazier.
Not lazy, ignorant. I was a 19 year old kid and bought the car off the lot. I had it all decked out visually and got a flat one day before I put my first system in the car. That's why I even had the spare still in it. The car was only a few months old. Since they were low profile on aftermarket rims no shop around me could get the tire off the rim to repair it. I rode around on it for a couple days until I could get to the city to get it repaired. All my friends kept telling me how stupid the nice car looked with it. I remember the tire saying something like do not drive on for more than 50 miles ( or whatever low rating it was ) so I decided to upset everyone else by riding around on it until the spare failed. I did have the fixed wheel in the trunk. The spare never failed and still had tread after more than 5k. I actually just threw it out a couple years ago. I was saving as a reminder of how much of an idiot I can be.

Last edited by Theslaking; 01-16-2018 at 07:21 AM.
Theslaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:56 AM   #16  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SE PA
Posts: 4,237
I hear ya man, 5000 miles is a long time though ! =) and yea i remember upside down priories that time in life , oh the beauty...

today those obnoxious light bars are a good example of upside down priorities....

i saw one on a white work van recently ! lol
Prophecy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:07 AM   #17  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 107
I was interested to read that the US 5th gens have a space saver spare, or what you guys call a donut. In New Zealand our 5th gen Maximas, and all previous generations, have full size spares, matching alloy for those with them, or steel rim for those with hubcaps. In the 1999-2002 Maximas, the spare wheel fitted into the wheel well with a small 3/4" or so protrusion above the trunk floor and the trunk mat raised as such. In the 2003 Maxima they have a polystyrene ring in the well that the spare sits on, and protrudes about 2" above the trunk floor. The floor mat is moulded specifically to fit over the wheel.

Last edited by stevesmax; 01-19-2018 at 02:10 AM.
stevesmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:25 AM   #18  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SE PA
Posts: 4,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesmax View Post
I was interested to read that the US 5th gens have a space saver spare, or what you guys call a donut. In New Zealand our 5th gen Maximas, and all previous generations, have full size spares, matching alloy for those with them, or steel rim for those with hubcaps. In the 1999-2002 Maximas, the spare wheel fitted into the wheel well with a small 3/4" or so protrusion above the trunk floor and the trunk mat raised as such. In the 2003 Maxima they have a polystyrene ring in the well that the spare sits on, and protrudes about 2" above the trunk floor. The floor mat is moulded specifically to fit over the wheel.
thats dope !! i would take that over the space saver donut !!
Prophecy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTB: 6th Gen Maxima Spare tire /donut dansmax2003 6th Generation Classifieds (2004-2008) 6 11-21-2008 09:38 PM
Where To Buy A New Donut Spare Tire? vipergtsr6 5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) 14 02-20-2006 07:11 AM
Summer tire or donut for spare? RapidMax Tires and Wheels 2 10-12-2004 08:14 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:21 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.