Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003-7/)
-   -   PO507 after cleaning TB (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003/700801-po507-after-cleaning-tb.html)

MaxinO2 03-09-2018 01:10 AM

PO507 after cleaning TB

ok so.. I was replacing my spark plugs and noticed the throttle body was pretty dirty, so I thought cleaning it would benefit. Big mistake!!

High idle (1200 rpm) and horrible gas mileage now.

I inspected for vacuum leaks, bad gaskets, PCV valve, performed idle air relearn, throttle Learning, and all the jazz many times.

I drove it for weeks like this and decided I'd get an OEM salvage throttle body for $40. I basically just wiped this one with a rag and installed it. I performed the pedal dancing moves and cleared the code. I start the car and it sounds better and the idle is about 200 rpms lower than the last TB. However the code comes back shortly after driving and the rpm are still idling at 1000. It's been a week with the new TB and nothing has changed.

So what am I missing here? Maybe the salvage TB is somewhat faulty or the problem is somewhere else?

All idea's welcome, thank you.

MadMax07SL 03-09-2018 04:55 AM

I don't want to sound like I know exactly, but I'd venture to guess the Mass Airflow sensor may be damaged...

MaxinO2 03-09-2018 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL (Post 9170474)
I don't want to sound like I know exactly, but I'd venture to guess the Mass Airflow sensor may be damaged...

Thanks for reply, so I didn't tamper with the MAF and I think the odb code for that problem is PO101 which I've never had. Pretty sure that's not my problem here. :)

colt149 03-10-2018 06:09 AM

I believed you better off to buy a new throttle body assembly , never buy a used one because you never know if they move the butterfly of the said part. Buy it at courtesyparts.com. P0507 possible causes : intake leak and throttlle control actuator.
Make sure you torque the intake manifold and used a new intake manifold gasket. The rpm for automatic 750 rpm for manual is around 710 rpm

maximatech12 03-10-2018 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by colt149 (Post 9170555)
I The rpm for automatic 750 rpm for manual is around 710 rpm

Where did you get this info?
I was under the impression it was
675RPM for A/T
625RPM for M/T
This is target idle speed figures for the 2002

A couple things I had to check after cleaning the TB
re set accelerator cables untill the hook up is resting on the stopper
And re-set TPS closed position. This is 2001 and the 2002-03 you may not need to perform that

MaxinO2 03-10-2018 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by colt149 (Post 9170555)
I believed you better off to buy a new throttle body assembly , never buy a used one because you never know if they move the butterfly of the said part. Buy it at courtesyparts.com. P0507 possible causes : intake leak and throttlle control actuator.
Make sure you torque the intake manifold and used a new intake manifold gasket. The rpm for automatic 750 rpm for manual is around 710 rpm

Yeah I know buying a new OEM from wherever would be the way to go, but for $600, that's not gonna happen. At $40 used, I guess I will try as many as I need until this thing works.

I just got another used TB yesterday and am going to try this one out soon. The salvage place I got it from said I can return for full refund or keep exchanging until one works. Not a bad place.

Gonna install the other probably tomorrow. I'll let ya know how it goes.

Thanks for the reply. Cheers!! :redbull:

mclasser 03-10-2018 12:42 PM

Good luck man. People on here have replaced the ECU to get rid of that code.

maximatech12 03-10-2018 01:05 PM

What about this TB? Its Hitachi only $172.62 free shipping

2002-2008 Nissan Maxima Throttle Body - Fuel Injection - Hitachi 02-08 Maxima Throttle Body - 6738-01161758 - PartsGeek
https://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts...ad=47433949932

colt149 03-10-2018 06:18 PM

From Factory Service Manual: Idle speed
M/T: 625 +/- 50 rpm
A/T: 675 +/- 50rpm

colt149 03-10-2018 06:25 PM

You can buy the throttle body in http://www.nwpengineering.com/Phenol...cers.html#BBTB

Child_uv_KoRn 03-11-2018 03:17 AM

I'd exchange it for another at the junkyard. Maybe someone played with it, too. Pushing the butterfuly is known to **** them up in some cases. You did the right thing by swapping and pedal dance. That should fix it. Worst case should be idle air relearn, but reset always works for me.

Or if you know someone locally do a swap to test.

MaxinO2 03-12-2018 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn (Post 9170610)
I'd exchange it for another at the junkyard. Maybe someone played with it, too. Pushing the butterfuly is known to **** them up in some cases. You did the right thing by swapping and pedal dance. That should fix it. Worst case should be idle air relearn, but reset always works for me.

Or if you know someone locally do a swap to test.

Yes! So I went to pick up the second TB and it looked filthy. Can barely see the metal on the butterfly and it had a small piece of plastic stuck to the end holding it open more. So I was hesitant, but said screw it. What do I have to lose.

Ready for install. I disconnected the battery, removed the plastic piece from TB and do nothing else but install/relearn. So far so good. I noticed a difference almost immediately after starting the car. Idle is down and engine sounds good.

Ohh and most importantly, it's holds a normal idle through every car start and the code seems to be gone. Hope everything continues to work out. ;)

Thanks!

Child_uv_KoRn 03-12-2018 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by MaxinO2 (Post 9170668)
Yes! So I went to pick up the second TB and it looked filthy. Can barely see the metal on the butterfly and it had a small piece of plastic stuck to the end holding it open more. So I was hesitant, but said screw it. What do I have to lose.

Ready for install. I disconnected the battery, removed the plastic piece from TB and do nothing else but install/relearn. So far so good. I noticed a difference almost immediately after starting the car. Idle is down and engine sounds good.

Ohh and most importantly, it's holds a normal idle through every car start and the code seems to be gone. Hope everything continues to work out. ;)

Thanks!

Just spray the **** out of it. If someone cycles the key for you, then you should be able to hit it while it flips.

I guarantee it's black, b/c the precats were killing the engine in the junkyard car...is that what happened to your original engine? Nice mod list, btw.

MaxinO2 03-12-2018 01:31 PM

Actually, I'm not touching this TB and yes it's black. I'm worried that I will mess it up like the first one. If it runs good why clean it? The ECM is made to compensate for however dirty the TB gets.. The computer will re-adjust accordingly I've read. Wish I would of known that before I messed with it..

Although when I cleaned my original I removed it and sprayed that crap out of it. I also used a rag to wipe the entire circumference including the butterfly. I actually moved the butterfly to get a thorough cleaning. That was probably my mistake.. The butterfly has a coating on it, if this coating gets worn off, then the ECM and TB can't communicate within spec and there for causes problems. High idle and horrible gas mileage.

;)

colt149 03-12-2018 06:50 PM

I recommend to use Techron injector cleaner.

Child_uv_KoRn 03-12-2018 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by MaxinO2 (Post 9170700)
Actually, I'm not touching this TB and yes it's black. I'm worried that I will mess it up like the first one. If it runs good why clean it? The ECM is made to compensate for however dirty the TB gets.. The computer will re-adjust accordingly I've read. Wish I would of known that before I messed with it..

Although when I cleaned my original I removed it and sprayed that crap out of it. I also used a rag to wipe the entire circumference including the butterfly. I actually moved the butterfly to get a thorough cleaning. That was probably my mistake.. The butterfly has a coating on it, if this coating gets worn off, then the ECM and TB can't communicate within spec and there for causes problems. High idle and horrible gas mileage.

;)

As long as you don't touch it...so yeah, that was your downfall :p