5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Replacement struts - are KYB worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 09:44 PM

Replacement struts - are KYB worth it?

I'm in $$$ Canada, trying to figure out what to replace my worn out struts with.

Parts cost would be similar for KYB struts + mounts + bump stop/boot compared to a Monroe quick strut- BUT I could do the work and save on labor if I get a quickstrut. Shop labor in Canada for struts is ~$500.

Are the KYBs worth it? I'm on stock springs and looking for a stock/comfortable ride.

From what I've read neither is a great choice, but they seem to be the best choices...
Old 04-12-2018, 08:12 AM

I wish KYB made quick struts for our application. I went with Monroe quick struts a couple of years back because it was easier to DIY and my springs and dust boots were also shot. The rear left sagged almost 0.75 in compared to the other side lol
Old 04-12-2018, 08:58 AM

KYB will give you a firmer ride. This translates into a bumpier ride. If you want the stock ride, don't get the KYB.
Old 04-12-2018, 01:03 PM

I have Monroe quick struts all the way around for the same reason you are thinking. My fronts squeek. One of my rears is shot. Both rears came to me of alignment for install, requiring me to get the spring compressor and fix so I could mount them. They are probably only 3yrs old.

Thus, I don't recommend Monroe struts. I have two kyb rears waiting for install when I get around to it.

It seems as though I've seen kyb quick struts on rockauto. Unsure.
Old 04-12-2018, 02:43 PM

Yes, the KYBs are worth it. I don't agree with Denis; I don't think the ride is firner, I like them because I get the same ride as my original 2000 SE had. Even with KYB's, you can do the installation yourself. The only thing is .... you need to buy/borrow string compressors, but that's a minor expense, IMHO (Harbor Freight sells them for $35.- here in the US: https://www.harborfreight.com/macphe...set-63262.html ).
Old 04-12-2018, 03:25 PM

Just a thought...so do the parts swap over exactly for the new kyb struts? Read where some parts don't work with the kyb so trying to figure this out.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by MichMaxFan
Just a thought...so do the parts swap over exactly for the new kyb struts? Read where some parts don't work with the kyb so trying to figure this out.
Yes, all other parts swap over without any problems. Of course, you should buy new bellow, and a new strut mount, but you should do that regardless.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by mclasser
I wish KYB made quick struts for our application. I went with Monroe quick struts a couple of years back because it was easier to DIY and my springs and dust boots were also shot. The rear left sagged almost 0.75 in compared to the other side lol
Did the rear left sag immediately? Did you replace them under warranty?
Old 04-12-2018, 08:31 PM

I'm not keen on compressing springs:
<--

I'm sure with the right precautions its totally safe, but I'm also pretty sure that people filming a video on compressing springs were probably doing it the right way as well... eh, I'm a scaredy cat

So if not Monroe or KYB, then who? I don't mind paying a bit more for quality.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:00 AM
Former Sponsor

You can't go wrong with the KYB as their suspension components provide a very good ride comfort. As an alternative you can check out replacement shocks and struts by Monroe: https://www.carid.com/2003-nissan-ma...447739470.html It's another big name in the field of suspension components, that makes high-quality replacements.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by AaronL
Did the rear left sag immediately? Did you replace them under warranty?
I meant that the factory springs were sagging, which is why I replaced them with quick struts.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by mclasser
I meant that the factory springs were sagging, which is why I replaced them with quick struts.
How would you describe the ride of the monroes? And did they hold up over time?
Old 04-16-2018, 08:56 PM

i feel compelled to comment and tell you kyb are great struts coming from totally blow original struts
they do feel very firm but in a good way.
Feels like a new car. ya it was a big surprise how much firmer the suspension got at first.
if you liked the super light floaty ride blown shocks provide, yes, kyb is pretty stiff.
What i'm basically saying is coming from blow shocks new ones will feel surprisingly firm.

Why i went with kyb instead is i don't think monroe matches the exact spring rate or else they would publish it and from my internet research the kyb is a better shock.

They've been in for some years now still absorbing and such. idk how long they're supposed to last though

Last edited by Donkeypunch; 04-16-2018 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:37 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

I'm in $$$ Canada, trying to figure out what to replace my worn out struts with.

Parts cost would be similar for KYB struts + mounts + bump stop/boot compared to a Monroe quick strut- BUT I could do the work and save on labor if I get a quickstrut. Shop labor in Canada for struts is ~$500.
There are a few quick struts fom Monroe. Which parts numbers are you looking at?
Old 04-17-2018, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by JSutter
There are a few quick struts fom Monroe. Which parts numbers are you looking at?
171419, 171418 and 171327 from Rockauto: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...assembly,15174

For a laugh I asked the local dealership how much OEM struts cost.... $510 for the fronts! And the bump stops are $120. That's Canadian prices for you
Old 04-18-2018, 02:09 AM

i went with KYB G2 Excels for more handling. my mechanic said he doesn't touch monroe anymore since it's all chinese now and causes too many come backs.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by cdoublejj
i went with KYB G2 Excels for more handling. my mechanic said he doesn't touch monroe anymore since it's all chinese now and causes too many come backs.
He's partially correct....I'd be more inclined to blame the poor engineering specs from the manufacturer such as tenneco than the production location. Both might be to blame, but problems i see are in materials and design and less that could be attributed to production itself.

That said, I won't go with Monroe ever again and I hope the kyb i have in a box for install will be good for me.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:00 AM

well don't get me wrong i have bought some good solid performing par ...well engines from china before. china stuff can be good i have a beast of chinese engine i abuse.

However a number of brands have gone down hill in the the past years. Moog is another one.

No problems with my KYBs that i have had in the years since i installed them, except the crap suspension all around the them and the complete utter lack of any bushings or rubber left in said clapped out suspension. Also aftermarket H&R springs don't properly lower the car in the front so it looks weird and sits crooked but, the struts seem fine as far as i can tell. so i'd stay away from H&R i've seen the same complaint from others. they just don't lower the car as advertised and they won't warranty.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:48 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

171419, 171418 and 171327 from Rockauto: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...assembly,15174

For a laugh I asked the local dealership how much OEM struts cost.... $510 for the fronts! And the bump stops are $120. That's Canadian prices for you
I wonder how those compare to OESpectrum. I have used OESpectrum with stock springs. I feel these are the best Monroe offers.

Does Nissan still offer OEM struts? They used to be Tokico. The closest thing was HP, the blue struts. I like those for comfort.

I do all my own suspension stuff. I'd go with KYB and rebuild the assemblies with whatever other parts are worn. KYB are a bit stiff though.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:21 PM

How would you describe the ride of the monroes? And did they hold up over time?
I've had them for about 4 yrs/40k miles. These obviously aren't performance struts, but for what I paid (buy 3 + get 1 free), I'm quite satisfied. They were pretty firm initially but softened up over time. Coming from completely blown OEMs that rode like bricks, these were a welcome change. My only complaint is that they're inconsistent. I drive the same roads every day and going over the same bumps at the same speeds yield different results from these struts. Some days, I barely feel anything but other days it can be jarring. In the end, it's something I can live with on a 16 yr old car.

Last edited by mclasser; 04-18-2018 at 02:23 PM.