5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Am I crazy, or just in love with the 5th Gen?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 06:14 PM

Am I crazy, or just in love with the 5th Gen?

First off, greetings from a new member who literally registered 10 min ago. I've been perusing off and on for a matter of years but have recently made a leap into what may very well be Maxima Hell and thought where better to meet those most friendly and familiar with my new project?

Back story:

I have never owned a Maxima. I fell in love with the 5th gen in 2001 and just never ended up with one. Fast forward to 2018, and after tormenting myself for long enough, on Monday I pulled the trigger on a one-thousand dollar, 2003 SE! That's right, $1000! I bought it sight unseen from a Craigslist ad. I know, I know, that can be quite the dice roll, but this is a project car. The ad stated the gist of the car and was fairly accurate. Ad even stated "mechanics special" along with the two dreaded P0011 and P0021 codes, but that car started and ran but was in "limp mode". Ok, not bad. Should be an interesting learning process as well as a fun little wrenching project, right? Well, maybe...

The Good:

The interior is on par. Minor repair needed to center console. Passenger side window regulator needs replaced, but the glass is fine. All accessories function normally. It has it's quirks, of which are expected of a 15 year old car. 119k clocking in on the odometer. AC blows but is obviously in need of a charge. All interior and exterior lights work. No apparent fluid leaks. Body is straight sans a small driver side door dent and a dime size dimple here and there. Paint is fair. New battery. New Continentals on the rear, and new brand "X" tires in the front. All matching sizes, yay! I count 6 lug nuts missing in total, so better than 50% remain, awesome! So far so good!

The Bad:

Car starts and runs, but sounds amiss and has NO power. Open the hood and let out a gasping sigh. Project car indeed! I'm not sure who let what monkey wrench on this thing, but oh my, my my. Let's see, there are at least 4 rolls of electrical tape holding the wiring harness together. More harness splices (you know, the kind where you twist the wires together and bury in electrical tape?) to connectors than there are connectors. Missing top engine mount bolt on passenger side engine mount. Radiator fans zip tied to the radiator. No stock plastic engine cover. Miscellaneous bolts and fasteners missing. Blue and grey silicone gasket material squeeze-out on the timing cover/s and associated parts. Alternator sticker reads "Remanufactured in China". Coolant tank has holes in it and looks more brittle than an ice cream cone. Oh and looky here, a bin full of spare, greasy cylinder head, camshafts, and timing chain parts in the trunk! NICE! Front engine mount has salvage yard chalk markings. Etc. etc. etc. ad nauseam.

But it runs.... Kind of...

This is the direction I am leaning, just yank the engine out, set it up in the garage and start going through it. Take my time and do a proper rebuild. I have downloaded the FSM and read through the section regarding the two codes, P0011 and P0021. I threw two new cam sensors on it to no avail. I removed the surprisingly clean VVT solenoids and bench tested each with success. I am almost certain the timing chain repair was botched, as evidenced by the blue silicone gasket material around the perimeter of the timing cover, and the overall unkempt, disheveled appearance of the engine bay. So unfortunately my P0011 and P0021 issue will not be as easy as throwing a few sensors at it and cleaning junk out of solenoid mesh.

I really, really want to keep this car! I am in love with it and am even excited to work on it. But I am not sure where to begin? This is not my primary means of transportation, so it can sit for a while. What is the maxima.org census on repair? Does this warrant an engine pull and rebuild?

Or,

I am out of my mind and in way deeper than I know and should just post another Craigslist ad and get out while I still can? At a thousand bucks, I know I could list it and pass it on to another more willing, knowledgeable individual with more money and time on his hands than I. Conversely, it was only a thousand bucks! And I don't care if it sits for a while while I gather my senses and resources.

So, in my quest for knowledge, first and foremost, does anyone know where I can find a new or used complete engine wiring harness? Despite the massive support for this vehicle, this single part eludes me even after thorough online searches! If I can get my hands on a GOOD harness, I may very well start down the rebuild rabbit hole.

Gotta run, but thats a quick scenario. Please comment with your opinions, experience, and ideas! Thank you so much!
Attached Thumbnails Am I crazy, or just in love with the 5th Gen?-20180627_181145.jpg   Am I crazy, or just in love with the 5th Gen?-20180627_181240.jpg   Am I crazy, or just in love with the 5th Gen?-20180627_181216.jpg   Am I crazy, or just in love with the 5th Gen?-20180627_181410.jpg   Am I crazy, or just in love with the 5th Gen?-20180627_181451.jpg  

Am I crazy, or just in love with the 5th Gen?-20180627_181347.jpg   Am I crazy, or just in love with the 5th Gen?-20180627_181359.jpg   Am I crazy, or just in love with the 5th Gen?-20180627_181503.jpg   Am I crazy, or just in love with the 5th Gen?-20180627_181512.jpg   Am I crazy, or just in love with the 5th Gen?-20180627_181432.jpg  

Old 06-29-2018, 07:10 AM

Welcome to the Org. Looks like you've got a project on your hands.

My 1st piece of advice is to get really familiar with the U-Pull It style salvage yards in your area. These cars are becoming more common in the yards now. You can get any part you want. Even tiny clips, plugs and things like that that you can't buy on their own. I've saved thousands over the years pulling my own parts. Sometimes you can get lucky and find a car with lots of new parts on it. You can also see how things come apart before breaking your own car.

That's the only place you'll get the harness unless you go to the Ni$$an dealer. Even a traditional salvage yard will want a lot for it if they'll bother pulling it.

You can pull a window glass while you're there too.
Old 06-29-2018, 07:29 AM

I was just rereading your post. It's very rare for these cars to need timing chain work even with very high miles. The 6th gen had issues with timing but not these. I wonder if it overheated and popped a head gasket.

I hate to say it but a good 5th gen can be had for pretty cheap and you're looking at a LOT of work and cost to get this one up to "good".

An option for the engine could be a 7th gen swap. Search this site for it.
Old 06-29-2018, 03:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sr 20 swap!, looks great dude, congrats!
Old 06-29-2018, 05:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Car looks clean tho, I bet its rust free. As someone mentioned, an HR swap sounds like a better option.
Old 06-30-2018, 12:19 PM

For the sake of documentation throughout my journey, I am going to post for each step I take along the way. So despite the fact that much of what I may post has been thoroughly covered, the first oder of business is to secure the car. The car only came with one key and no fobs. So I picked up a cheap set of fobs here:

Amazon Amazon

Programming was easy using the process demonstrated in this video:

The package insert that came with the key fobs stated that use with chip keys is not compatible. Now, I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure my 2003 Maxima has a chip key? At any rate, the programming process went smoothly and all stock functionality seem to be retained, including roll down of the driver window while holding down the unlock button.
Attached Thumbnails Am I crazy, or just in love with the 5th Gen?-20180630_145640.jpg  
Old 06-30-2018, 12:45 PM

I'm a big fan of the stock 5th gen wheel, and so I went ahead and pulled the trigger on this wheel and tire combo. I'll have them balanced on a road force balancer and nitrogen filled. Should make for a smooth ride.

Wheels:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NISSAN-MAXI...19.m1438.l2649

Tires:

https://www.carid.com/continental-ti...32&vehicle=911
Old 06-30-2018, 06:55 PM

^ same here. i think the stock 17'' wheels look the best. Maybe with alittle spacer they look perfect.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:18 PM

They definitely look good! Wheel spacers are a bit of a leap for me. In my opinion, they negatively alter the geometry of the suspension components to a degree I am not comfortable with. I have no problem lowering a vehicle and correcting camber, but spacers put a lot of stress and wear on components on which the math was already worked out by engineers with IQ's I could only dream of having.

@Derrick2k2SE sparked some interest in me to pursue a 7th gen swap. I'm reading as I go, but I think I can handle most of it with the exception of a couple of issues I have yet to determine the solutions to. I think I'll have it figured out soon.

Basically:
1) Grab a 2012/13/14 motor from these guys:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-Nissan...19.m1438.l2649
2) Pair it with the same gen ECU, here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Maxima...19.m1438.l2649

Following this basic guide:
http://www.nisformance.com/Articles.asp?ID=252

And viola! New/er motor in the 5th gen I plan on keeping forever! I plan on picking up a 7th gen engine harness, of course, just for the sake of similar generation components. Plus mine is cooked, as you will notice in a post I wrote earlier that is pic-heavy and therefore currently awaiting mod approval to be posted.

As long as the engine bolts up to my 5th gen tranny, I can manage the detail devils in terms of modification and fabrication.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:24 PM

The Maxima keys have been chipped for years. I wouldn't worry about it. Especially since it works.

The stock wheels are ok but they're really heavy. Lots of rotating mass.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:31 PM

Don't need a 7th gen ECU for an HR swap. You need to keep your ECU, but sounds like you need a new wiring harness. You might find a better donor though, one that hasn't been so badly butchered, so maybe keep an eye open if you're gonna sink a pile of cash into a 5th gen.
Old 07-01-2018, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by freezer
Don't need a 7th gen ECU for an HR swap. You need to keep your ECU, but sounds like you need a new wiring harness. You might find a better donor though, one that hasn't been so badly butchered, so maybe keep an eye open if you're gonna sink a pile of cash into a 5th gen.
Thanks for the tip. But yes, I definitely need a new harness. Even if I'm into the motor a couple grand, I'm still under $5k for the car even with the rest of the crap I want to do to it. $3-$5k seem to be the market rate for a decent 5th gen in my area, and I'm getting a late model, low mile engine with mine along with lots of new chassis and HVAC components. Should be a good driver for a couple hundred thousand miles. I'm not going for performance, but rather adequate overtaking power with soundness and longevity. Frankly, as long as my AC system blows arctic winds through my cab I'll be happy.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:23 PM

How long does it take mods to approve a post and publish it? Been two days since my last post write up with pics and still nothing?
Old 07-03-2018, 04:23 AM

Congrats! The overall body on your car looks mighty good. Any 02-03 Complete Parts Cars in your area?

I just purchased my 5th Maxima this past Sunday... This is, however, my first 3.5.

Bro - please put some lug-nuts on the beast! That gives me anxiety!

Cheers!