5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Warbling Noise When Moving. Any ideas?

Old 07-15-2018, 05:07 PM

Warbling Noise When Moving. Any ideas?

I know this is a long shot since it's difficult to guess what I'm hearing without actually hearing the noise but I'm throwing this out there for ideas. The best way I can describe it is a warbling type noise when moving. It's not very loud, I guess I would say it's almost like a droning warble. It's pretty faint but I can hear it mostly over 30 mph.

Also the brakes are fine under light braking but under heavier breaking the brakes feel almost vibrating. The thing is though that it definitely does not feel the same as warped rotors. I wish I could explain it better. As for the noise my initial thought was maybe a bad wheel bearing but I don't think that would cause any issues with the brakes. Could it maybe be a bad axle? Any other ideas?
Old 07-15-2018, 06:16 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Dust N Bones
I know this is a long shot since it's difficult to guess what I'm hearing without actually hearing the noise but I'm throwing this out there for ideas. The best way I can describe it is a warbling type noise when moving. It's not very loud, I guess I would say it's almost like a droning warble. It's pretty faint but I can hear it mostly over 30 mph.

Also the brakes are fine under light braking but under heavier breaking the brakes feel almost vibrating. The thing is though that it definitely does not feel the same as warped rotors. I wish I could explain it better. As for the noise my initial thought was maybe a bad wheel bearing but I don't think that would cause any issues with the brakes. Could it maybe be a bad axle? Any other ideas?
It does sound like a wheel bearing and they can cause vibration, although, it's anyone's guess under what conditions that'll happen if it's not constant.

Take all the wheels off and see if you can find any play, stiffness, rough rotation/noise when spinning and push/pulling the hubs. I'm sure one will stand out.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 07-15-2018 at 06:18 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:53 PM

Sounds like a wheel bearing. Is the sound constant while vehicle in motion? Does it increase in volume or steadiness at speed? If so wheel bearing is likely. It could also be rubbing from a dust shield on a rotor, but that is less likely...
Old 07-16-2018, 05:47 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to try to look at it tomorrow, I just didn't have time today. One more question though, would a bad wheel bearing cause a vibration during braking? I don't don't even know if vibration is the best way to explain it because like I said it does not feel like a vibration that you would have with a warped rotor. The brakes just don't feel right.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Look into the wheel bearings for sure. Take the wheels off and look for play. I wouldn't drive that car. Seems that a lug nut is loose or something.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:27 AM

I agree with the Wheel bearing being bad. I wouldn't take the wheel off yet.

Jack up the side you want to check. Once the tire is off the ground check for play vertically. Put your hands in the 12 and 6:00 positions and rock it in and out. If it's making that much noise there should be a little bit of play.

Another test is to listen to the sound while driving. Cruise at a speed where it's making the sound. Weave left and right and see if the sound changes. As you put more stress on one side or the other the sound will change or even go away.

If you're not sure just take it to any alignment or underbody shop. Those guys will diagnose a bad bearing in no time and probably not charge for it.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:20 PM

wheel bearing.