5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

No fuel, no pump sound?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 10:24 AM

No fuel, no pump sound?

Good morning, I’m hoping someone can help?
my 2000 Maxima is not getting fuel to the engine
it’s also NOT making any sort of noise that would tell
me it’s getting power to it. Has anyone ever had that
problem?? I figured fuel pump so I bought it and the
screen. But, I’m not sure it’s the pump? I tried testing
the power but it seems I’m not Get’n a proper ground.
Test light works but... Not lightning up. Any suggestions?
Old 08-07-2018, 01:56 PM

How the fuel pump is supposed to work is one of the more misunderstood systems of the car. The fuel pump does not run whenever you turn the ignition key on.

The first thing I would suggest is to remove the rear seat cushion and remove the access plate. Then using 2 wires, jumper 12 volts AND GROUND to the fuel pump and see if it runs. The 12 volts goes to the black/yellow stripe wire and the ground goes to the green/red stripe wire in connector B19. Connector B19 is a 5 wire connector, but I can't remember if it has all 5 openings filled..

If the pump runs, we have to troubleshoot the control circuit. If the pump does not run, then the pump needs to be replaced.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:03 AM

No fuel, no pump sound? (Thanks Dennis!)

I’m up Northern Oregon right now... Weathers nice so my Wife and I jumped on the Deuce and rode up to my Sons place in Lake Oswego. (Just over night.) I wanna thank you for the suggestion! My manual seems to not list scamatic for 2000 “specifically” so I’m
hesitant about poke’n around with test stuff... I also wanna take back the fuel pump and screen If it’s NOT
the problem, just try’n Too work smart and quit tossing time and parts at it, I love this little rig and try’n to keep it stock and in good condition.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:41 PM

I had a problem one time with my fuel pump, But i have an 02 I35 VQ35 engine. Car was running fine before i stopped at a car wash to change the fuel pump. So i get everything back togather and attempt to start the car, and she would not start/ no power to fuel pump. It took me hours to figure it out, I was even about to take it to a shop until i did remembered reading a thread on here about the terminals on the fuel pump housing corroding. So i looked a the top of the pump housing plug and it looks like one had broken off. Sopposed to be 5 prongs that the wire harness plugs into, and mine had only 4. So grabbed one from the u-pull it. And she started right up. Hope this helps.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:20 PM

No fuel/no pump sound?

Great news!
I’m taking the fuel pump and screen back!!
Turns out I was having wiring/connections issues.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am editing this so if anyone might lose power to the fuelpump it might be the problem.
#1) During the process of repair, I lost my CEL and the car started blowing ECU#2 fuse.
(I believe that happed due to replacing the fuelpump relay but, I am NOT positive.)
#2) What solve the problem with the no fuel/no pump sound, do this ASAP when it happens.

#3) A. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
B, Disconnect both connects to the throttle body.
C. Reinstall all the connections.

Thank you too
the folks who
gave me some
Feedback..
DaDeuce

Last edited by DaDeuce; 08-23-2018 at 12:33 PM. Reason: What fixed it.
Old 09-01-2018, 07:59 PM

Hey folks, I continued to have the ecu#2 fuse blow out. I did find the problem and it wasn't the T body connections.
I removed all of the air intake plastic and found a Black wire that had 3 wires in it RE: outer coat was Black. Anyway,
it had been squeezed in-between the starter and had started grounding out. Just wanna keep you informed so if you
might have this happen too you,,, Check it out!
Thanks again!
DaDeuce