Motor swap - Maxima Forums



5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Motor swap

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-11-2018, 07:35 PM   #1  
Newbie - Just Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 8
Motor swap

Are there any known issues with the newer de motors? I知 planning on purchasing an 08 de motor from a quest to swap on my 5th gen
Angel_a33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 04:14 AM   #2  
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 2,421
What year 5th gen?
Swapping a 3.5 into a 3.0 car will require several mods.
I don't know if it extends to 08 but the 04+ 3.5 engines were prone to timing chain tensioner issues.
The 09+ motor swap is popular too.
Derrick2k2SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 05:06 AM   #3  
Newbie - Just Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE View Post
What year 5th gen?
Swapping a 3.5 into a 3.0 car will require several mods.
I don't know if it extends to 08 but the 04+ 3.5 engines were prone to timing chain tensioner issues.
The 09+ motor swap is popular too.
I have an 03 max. & the 08 quest comes with a 3.5L motor as well. I was told that all I would need to swap over is the upper & lower intake manifold, fuel rail & oil pans.
Angel_a33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 06:51 AM   #4  
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 2,421
I believe that motor will work. Personally I'd look for a low mileage 02/03 FWD 3.5 instead. This is a case where newer isn't necessarily better. When I worked in a shop I saw several of that gen 3.5 (Maximas and a Quest) with timing issues. It's not a low cost fix either. It's very rare on the 02/03.
Derrick2k2SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:25 AM   #5  
Newbie - Just Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE View Post
I believe that motor will work. Personally I'd look for a low mileage 02/03 FWD 3.5 instead. This is a case where newer isn't necessarily better. When I worked in a shop I saw several of that gen 3.5 (Maximas and a Quest) with timing issues. It's not a low cost fix either. It's very rare on the 02/03.
I was hoping to not settle for an 02-03 3.5 because of the oil issue, which I知 dealing with right now. What if I was to prep the motor & change the timing chain & water pump, would I eventually end up with that timing issue?
Angel_a33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 04:57 PM   #6  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Lloydminster, CAN
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel_a33 View Post
I was hoping to not settle for an 02-03 3.5 because of the oil issue, which I知 dealing with right now. What if I was to prep the motor & change the timing chain & water pump, would I eventually end up with that timing issue?
I "think" the timing chain tensioner was fixed by 07. Since the motor is out, just replace the tensioner and guides, upgrade the oil gallery gaskets so you never have to worry about what's under the timing chain cover ever again.
freezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 05:16 AM   #7  
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 2,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezer View Post
I "think" the timing chain tensioner was fixed by 07. Since the motor is out, just replace the tensioner and guides, upgrade the oil gallery gaskets so you never have to worry about what's under the timing chain cover ever again.
I wasn't aware of that. If that's the case then it looks like the OP is right on track.

A lot of people are saying the cats are the cause of the 02/03 oil consumption. I'd do some research here and make sure the problem is sorted out before you put the new motor in and it gets chewed up too. I went with headers before 100,000 miles and have no oil consumption at 235,000 so I haven't really looked into it. There's a lot of info in the forum though.
Derrick2k2SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 05:21 AM   #8  
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 2,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel_a33 View Post

I was hoping to not settle for an 02-03 3.5 because of the oil issue, which I知 dealing with right now. What if I was to prep the motor & change the timing chain & water pump, would I eventually end up with that timing issue?
If you're going to do all that it may be cheaper and easier to do the 09+ engine. With a few parts you can have a nice upgrade and you should be able to put one in without having to replace any wear items. Search for 5.7 swap here.
Derrick2k2SE is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
6th gen to 5.5 gen motor swap. Upper oil pan swap. Which oil plate baffle to keep?!? nismopc 5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) 8 07-24-2013 12:51 PM
Part 2 2004Motor Swap- Old Motor 100K, New motor 17K! kevin007 6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) 15 01-27-2009 02:22 PM
04Motor Swap- Old Motor 100K, New motor 17K! kevin007 All Motor 7 01-18-2009 09:04 AM
00vi doesnt work after motor dek motor swap.. DcMaN All Motor 5 09-05-2007 02:45 AM
VG vs. VQ motor mounts...installing new motor g9s0x 3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) 12 04-14-2003 09:53 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:19 AM.


© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.