5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

cross threaded a valve cover bolt

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 10:53 PM

cross threaded a valve cover bolt

I some how managed to cross thread a front valve cover bolt now its seeping oil pretty good smh. How can i fix this, ive tried putting some gasket maker along the area, but it didnt help.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:58 AM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by maxinout93
I some how managed to cross thread a front valve cover bolt now its seeping oil pretty good smh. How can i fix this, ive tried putting some gasket maker along the area, but it didnt help.
Remove VC, clean everything, then RTV it. It'll hold. Retap it to do it correctly.
Old 09-21-2018, 04:30 AM

Heli-Coil kit, give that a try. I had a dealership do about the same thing. Took off valve covers so many times they stripped a few bolts. They also never used torque settings, everything was just done by hand, F-d my Sh## up. I went back like 7 times, wasn't leaking fluid for the most part, just pumping oil smells out, then at stoplights the smell would come into the car. They tried the Heli-Coil and that still didn't solve it. I traded in the car after that. Couldn't deal with it anymore.
https://www.stanleyengineeredfasteni...ands/heli-coil
I wish you luck!
Old 09-21-2018, 06:09 AM

Heli-coil would be the best fix if you can reach it with the tools you have.

If you want to go the RTV route do it right. Get some high quality RTV (Permatex grey, hondabond etc...) and let it sit over night before starting the car. Make sure you tighten it down in a pattern going around several times before the final torque. Don't over torque it either.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
Heli-coil would be the best fix if you can reach it with the tools you have.

If you want to go the RTV route do it right. Get some high quality RTV (Permatex grey, hondabond etc...) and let it sit over night before starting the car. Make sure you tighten it down in a pattern going around several times before the final torque. Don't over torque it either.

OK im gonna see if i can put some good rtv on that spot. Its pretty easy to access because its right near the injectors.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:12 PM

I broke a bolt when I was doing my valve covers. Best way is to drill and re-tap. Same thing in your case. Worked well.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL
Heli-Coil kit, give that a try. I had a dealership do about the same thing. Took off valve covers so many times they stripped a few bolts. They also never used torque settings, everything was just done by hand, F-d my Sh## up. I went back like 7 times, wasn't leaking fluid for the most part, just pumping oil smells out, then at stoplights the smell would come into the car. They tried the Heli-Coil and that still didn't solve it. I traded in the car after that. Couldn't deal with it anymore.
https://www.stanleyengineeredfasteni...ands/heli-coil
I wish you luck!
Heli Coil installation might be to much for some vehicle owners....All I can say is make sure you're perfectly square if you're drilling by hand and eye!
Old 09-22-2018, 01:27 PM
Bad *** Newb

BTW, Right Stuff definitely won't leak.
Old 09-22-2018, 04:35 PM

Like stated above, hondabond seems like a good solution. From what I've heard talking to someone about the hondabond and considering this is just a valve cover it seems to me that putting on the cover minus one bolt and a smear of it and you'd be fine.

They do entire oil pans with it so why would it not work on a simple valve cover? I don't know how to do helicoil but I wouldn't bother considering the situation.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:25 AM

OK im gonna see if i can put some good rtv on that spot. Its pretty easy to access because its right near the injectors.
The Heli-coil kit would be very easy since you have easy access. It seems intimidating but it's really a simple process if you follow the instructions. Especially since it's just stripped threads in aluminum. This is as easy as it gets.The hole is already there and straight and aluminum is easy to work with. Just one pass with the proper drill, run the tap down it and screw the coil in.

If it somehow doesn't work you can still fall back on the RTV plan.
Old 09-23-2018, 04:19 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
The Heli-coil kit would be very easy since you have easy access. It seems intimidating but it's really a simple process if you follow the instructions. Especially since it's just stripped threads in aluminum. This is as easy as it gets.The hole is already there and straight and aluminum is easy to work with. Just one pass with the proper drill, run the tap down it and screw the coil in.

If it somehow doesn't work you can still fall back on the RTV plan.
Works great for spark plugs, too. Damn BMWs....
Old 09-23-2018, 08:41 PM

I broke a bolt on my valve cover along the front row of bolts, just above the alternator. then i messed up the threads trying to extract it.

Luckily it was in the front, and i was able to drill the hole through to the other side and fish a bolt through, and tighten it with a nut on the other side
Old 09-24-2018, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by MichMaxFan
Like stated above, hondabond seems like a good solution. From what I've heard talking to someone about the hondabond and considering this is just a valve cover it seems to me that putting on the cover minus one bolt and a smear of it and you'd be fine.

They do entire oil pans with it so why would it not work on a simple valve cover? I don't know how to do helicoil but I wouldn't bother considering the situation.
Yah helicoil seems a little advanced, where do i get hondabond from, does walmart sell it?
Old 09-26-2018, 03:55 PM

Yah helicoil seems a little advanced, where do i get hondabond from, does walmart sell it?
If you need it today you can get it from the Honda dealer. If you're willing to wait you can search online to get it a little cheaper. It's not a cheap product but it's worth it.

Just be sure to clean both surfaces really clean. I would treat it like you were going to be painting it. I'll usually finish by wiping the surface with brake parts cleaner on a CLEAN rag right before applying the RTV. Don't contaminate the surface with oil from inside the VC or head. In this case I'd let it sit over nite or for several hours before starting it.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:50 PM

If you have access to or someone with a welder, you can clean it up and try weld a nut to it. I've been able to do this even when the broken bolt is counter sunk. The weld won't stick to the aluminum, it'll weld to the bolt, expand, contract and thread out. Standard process for broken exhaust manifold studs on aluminum head engines.
Old 09-26-2018, 05:33 PM

Hondabond varies big-time in price by me. $13 or $24. I paid $8-9 for a tube of rtv black so I was surprised they were so close in price to the cheap one.

Amazon has it too i believe.

I think you really have to let it cure well or results will be poor.
Old 09-29-2018, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by MichMaxFan
Hondabond varies big-time in price by me. $13 or $24. I paid $8-9 for a tube of rtv black so I was surprised they were so close in price to the cheap one.

Amazon has it too i believe.

I think you really have to let it cure well or results will be poor.
Oh ok Kool thanks for the response