5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Nissan Data scan 2 - not 5.5 compatible??

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 01:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Nissan Data scan 2 - not 5.5 compatible??

Recently got NDS2 and my cable finally came in the mail. Was looking to reprogram my keys so i could install a new ecu because i suspect my original one is toast. Long story short, i cannot get NDS2 to connect to the ecu - the nds2 forum is of little help. Im using a KKL VAG-COM 409.1 FT232RL chip cable, the cable led lights up when connected, laptop detects cable just fine, USB drivers are all updated, tried the com settings, ini settings, everything recommended on the NDS2 forum - no success. However it has come to my attention that my OBD2 port is white while everything im reading is speaking about a gray OBD2 port? Am i missing something? I could have sworn i read about people using this program successfully with 5.5 gen maximas. Anyone able to chime in on the topic? Does this mean my car's port is not compatible with the cable + nds2 software? Is the pinout somehow different and if so, can it be rewired? Just cant catch a damn break with this car, its been whooping my *** for the last week now. Any help as always is hugely appreciated, i certainly do need it

UPDATE: i managed to get "find ecu" to work - it comes up with Active ecu id: FE. Im also getting the id FC when i mess with the ini settings and run "find ECU" again. Apparently this confirms that NSD2 is able to verify that the ecu exists so in theory, i should be able to connect. Obviously that is still not the case though. I also dont know what that ID is supposed to mean or what im supposed to do with it, the user manual has no information i can find regarding it, and the forums are equally devoid of info on that. Still mindlessly trying different stuff to try and connect, if anyone can help me get this figured out ill legit paypal you money thats how desperate im getting..

Last edited by Slamrod; 08-29-2018 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-30-2018, 09:06 PM

It works

The 5.5 gen is most certainly compatible. Where did you get the cable? Most of these cables are cheap as hell and faulty ones are common.
When you try to connect, is the car on or just in ACC position? I dont always connect first try. Sometimes a 2nd or 3rd try pressing the 'connect' button is required.
Have you tried different COM ports? My NDS2 runs on Win7 and uses COM port 24. I assume you are setting this in Device Manager as well.
Do you have DTR checked under Settings -> Communications? Im using the generic adapter(CH341) with this option checked.
Exact one I bought:
Amazon Amazon
Ive had this for four years and use it for flashing the ECU as well.
For what its worth, I always wait until the three audible bells you hear after turning the key, then plug both sides of the cable in, OBD side first.

Last edited by NotYou; 08-30-2018 at 09:21 PM.
Old 08-30-2018, 09:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by NotYou
The 5.5 gen is most certainly compatible. Where did you get the cable? Most of these cables are cheap as hell and faulty ones are common.
When you try to connect, is the car on or just in ACC position? I dont always connect first try. Sometimes a 2nd or 3rd try pressing the 'connect' button is required.
Have you tried different COM ports? My NDS2 runs on Win7 and uses COM port 24. I assume you are setting this in Device Manager as well.
Do you have DTR checked under Settings -> Communications? Im using the generic adapter(CH341) with this option checked.
Exact one I bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LTO2P4U Ive had this for four years and use it for flashing the ECU as well.
For what its worth, I always wait until the three audible bells you hear after turning the key, then plug both sides of the cable in, OBD side first.
i actually got it from walmart’s website, it took twice as long as their “garanteed” delivery date said it would arrive so i imagine they simply resold it from god knows where. Initially the cable was given com3 (using a windows 10 laptop) but that didnt work, so i tried several different com settings after changing the cable’s com port manually under device manager. Ive also tried every combination of checking the DTR box as well as all ini settings (-5 to 5), i also made sure to attempt several connections with each setup. I always had the battery on (key turned far as possible without cranking), i did try a few attempts with the motor running but its running on 3 cylinders so i really want to avoid that as much as possible. I believe i always had the cable plugged in first though, ill try doing that as the last step to see if that makes a difference. I suppose the cable i got is just **** then lol, the one you linked is out of stock but theres plenty of others like it, for under 10$ W/ prime it cant hurt to try another.

Just want to say also - THANK YOU SO MUCH for replying. I know its not really a big deal on your end but this car has been driving me absolutely fking nuts for over a week now and considering its (was) my daily its a pretty damn big deal for me to have it knocked out of commission. Ive been basically stumbling around blind trying to fix it the last couple of days and its been beyond stressful, your post helps more than you could know. Im glad to hear NDS2 indeed works, sort of gives me a light at the end of the tunnel of this nightmare ive been having with this damn car. Ill give another cable a go and let you know how that turns out lol
Old 08-31-2018, 03:05 AM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by Slamrod

i actually got it from walmart’s website, it took twice as long as their “garanteed” delivery date said it would arrive so i imagine they simply resold it from god knows where. Initially the cable was given com3 (using a windows 10 laptop) but that didnt work, so i tried several different com settings after changing the cable’s com port manually under device manager. Ive also tried every combination of checking the DTR box as well as all ini settings (-5 to 5), i also made sure to attempt several connections with each setup. I always had the battery on (key turned far as possible without cranking), i did try a few attempts with the motor running but its running on 3 cylinders so i really want to avoid that as much as possible. I believe i always had the cable plugged in first though, ill try doing that as the last step to see if that makes a difference. I suppose the cable i got is just **** then lol, the one you linked is out of stock but theres plenty of others like it, for under 10$ W/ prime it cant hurt to try another.

Just want to say also - THANK YOU SO MUCH for replying. I know its not really a big deal on your end but this car has been driving me absolutely fking nuts for over a week now and considering its (was) my daily its a pretty damn big deal for me to have it knocked out of commission. Ive been basically stumbling around blind trying to fix it the last couple of days and its been beyond stressful, your post helps more than you could know. Im glad to hear NDS2 indeed works, sort of gives me a light at the end of the tunnel of this nightmare ive been having with this damn car. Ill give another cable a go and let you know how that turns out lol

Buy a cable that NDS website recommends ... not one from walmart, amazon. They only recommend 2-3 cables.
I would buy one from the top two. (and that's what i did)
http://home.exetel.com.au/nds/NDSII/...portedadaptors

I set my com to 1. When i hooked up it failed the first time. Then i double clicked again and it connected.

Too bad you live so far from me,i would do it for you

Last edited by krismax; 08-31-2018 at 03:09 AM.
Old 08-31-2018, 05:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by krismax
Buy a cable that NDS website recommends ... not one from walmart, amazon. They only recommend 2-3 cables.
I would buy one from the top two. (and that's what i did)
http://home.exetel.com.au/nds/NDSII/...portedadaptors

I set my com to 1. When i hooked up it failed the first time. Then i double clicked again and it connected.

Too bad you live so far from me,i would do it for you
bought the one from walmart because it was the same cable that OBD2innovations used to offer on their website. Again im assuming i simply got a faulty one. I ended up buying another one off amazon so i could get it by saturday. I saw a handful of good reviews that mention using it specifically for NDS2 and having it work like a charm so it appears it shouldnt be an issue at all.

also thanks for the offer, id totally take you up on that if you were local lol.

Last edited by Slamrod; 08-31-2018 at 05:47 AM.
Old 08-31-2018, 11:54 AM

You're very welcome! Theres plenty of people here who could have confirmed that it does work with the 5.5 gen. Surprised you didn't get an answer more quickly. Hopefully it is the cable and the new one works, because it seems you have covered all the bases. Also remember, like krismax and I said, it may not always connect first try. Let it fail and press connect again. Hopefully you'll be all set and making new keys with the new cable.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:23 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Following this. I bought the el-cheap-o from Ebay for $6.00 and now I'm thinking its a knock off. I'll buy the one from ODBInnovations and try this again.

I need to program 2 keys from which I picked up a 01 SE this past weekend.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:32 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Andrew
Following this. I bought the el-cheap-o from Ebay for $6.00 and now I'm thinking its a knock off. I'll buy the one from ODBInnovations and try this again.

I need to program 2 keys from which I picked up a 01 SE this past weekend.
Pretty sure Obd2 innovations is out of stock for the cables. i ended up having success with this cable;
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00871CJ1W?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00871CJ1W?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title
Dont bother with the disc it comes with, just plug the cable in, windows should automatically install the drivers. Took a little messing around with settings inside NDS2 but in the end it worked.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:48 PM

Pretty sure Obd2 innovations is out of stock for the cables. i ended up having success with this cable;
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0087...op_mb_pd_title
Dont bother with the disc it comes with, just plug the cable in, windows should automatically install the drivers. Took a little messing around with settings inside NDS2 but in the end it worked.
Okay, I might have to buy this one then because the ebay one doesn't seem to work. let me play around with some settigs on the NDS2
Old 09-16-2018, 06:18 AM

Nds2 does work on the 5.5 i have used it plenty of times over the years.the issue is the cable not all of them are compatible your best bet is to get one from darren at nisformance he keeps the correct cable in stock and its like $10
Old 10-10-2018, 06:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Set your timer offset to -3 use generic adaptor
Old 10-11-2018, 06:55 AM

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0087...op_mb_pd_title
ODB2 innovations has these in stock! $20 bucks shipped! Great deal. And when I goto connect it with my car, VOILA! It worked!

So this morning I paid for the nissandata scan program. I'm going to program my keys this weekend.