5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Wet Driverside Floorboard When it Rains

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 10:25 AM

Wet Driverside Floorboard When it Rains

I keep getting water in my driverside floorboard when it rains. I don't have a sunroof. I had a mechanic look at the drain tubes and claims he cleaned them out. So I'm not sure if that's it or not.

Another thread on here had a guy who's Maxima had a tiny rusted out hole in his floorboard. So I'll probably check that next.

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:34 AM
Got Retrofit?

I would look under the car to see what's going on down there. If that checks out okay, next place I'd check is around the windshield and wiper cowl area.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:11 PM

^^^ this

https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...ger-floor.html
Old 10-15-2018, 05:33 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

Have a little leak in the passenger side, will look into this....thanks for the info
Old 10-16-2018, 04:37 AM

i have the same leak, i am thinking it is the Door Gasket
Old 10-16-2018, 04:59 AM

Different car, but I had a leak on the Drivers side, was dripping down through the dash onto my feet form a bad windshield seal. Bad windshield seal is my first guess for sure. To repair it they needed a new windshield, as they expected to damage/break the old one. Was covered under warrantee so no need to call the insurance. Down side was waiting 2 weeks for a new windshield, also getting the dealership to concede it was in fact the windshield took a couple visits.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:52 AM

first guess is door gasket, because i have same issue. i get extra water on the door sill when it rains and have messed w the door hinge to get the door to shut better and it slowed the water entry, but still is existant, and it pretty much is a sign that it is the door seal.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
first guess is door gasket, because i have same issue. i get extra water on the door sill when it rains and have messed w the door hinge to get the door to shut better and it slowed the water entry, but still is existant, and it pretty much is a sign that it is the door seal.
They sell it by the foot on ebay. after you install you'll have a butt joint so what I did was used tape but you could probably get the right stuff for the joint.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:26 AM

My 4th Gen was involved in 2 accidents and I believe it could be the windshield itself....cause mine leaks right near the driver's left kick panel. the windshield was cracked when the car was given to me 7 yrs ago. The top windshield seal appears to be damaged. I replaced the driver's side fender when I first received the car and I've resealed the lower windshield and cowl area and didn't see any defects in those areas. I'll get out the water hose and start at the lowest position possible to find the leak. Start at the cowl with someone else and a light til you find about where the water was hitting just before the leak started...I'm hunting mine down and it'll probably disappear after the windshield is replaced!
Old 10-16-2018, 11:30 AM

Thanks. I'll have to check the door gasket. I think the bottom has a gap in it but it's not at a point where it would leak into the floorboard. Mechanic checked it already, I'm assuming, but I'll ask.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:38 AM

look into where the water is coming in, maybe go as far as getting a friend to go to car wash or a hose at your house and sit inside the car and have them throw water on it to see the leak in action.

in my case its definately creeping in at the door sill near the hinge side (front). i am going to look into that ebay stuff, i almost was gonna buy a full oem gasket but yea thats the whole side of the car (2 driver side doors)
Old 10-17-2018, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by CMax03
My 4th Gen was involved in 2 accidents and I believe it could be the windshield itself....cause mine leaks right near the driver's left kick panel. the windshield was cracked when the car was given to me 7 yrs ago. The top windshield seal appears to be damaged. I replaced the driver's side fender when I first received the car and I've resealed the lower windshield and cowl area and didn't see any defects in those areas. I'll get out the water hose and start at the lowest position possible to find the leak. Start at the cowl with someone else and a light til you find about where the water was hitting just before the leak started...I'm hunting mine down and it'll probably disappear after the windshield is replaced!
good info !, i am getting some weird very spotty water in my sunglass holder from my sun roof, its really confusing because its not everytime, i thought it was the windshield (it was replaced and under warranty) but it only comes in at the sunglass holder near the map lights. and only is 4-5 oz per rain storm, smaller stomrs I dont get any water there.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:03 AM

good info !, i am getting some weird very spotty water in my sunglass holder from my sun roof, its really confusing because its not everytime, i thought it was the windshield (it was replaced and under warranty) but it only comes in at the sunglass holder near the map lights. and only is 4-5 oz per rain storm, smaller stomrs I dont get any water there.
I had a problem with water leaking from there and when i got my windshield replaced, they said there was quite a bit of rust where the top of the windshield mounts, allowing some water to come in. They sanded it and sprayed primer before mounting the new one and the problem was solved.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:57 AM

thanks man, if i get mroe annoyed w it, i am going to have them redo the windshield. Thanks.!
Old 10-17-2018, 09:07 AM

thanks man, if i get mroe annoyed w it, i am going to have them redo the windshield. Thanks.!
no problem, As a temporary solution before I got the windshield replaced, I put a thin microfiber cloth half in the sunglasses holder and half out (or what ever portion of it that allow visibility not to be blocked), like that the cloth absorbed the water so it didn't leak down.
Old 10-18-2018, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by flames101sully
no problem, As a temporary solution before I got the windshield replaced, I put a thin microfiber cloth half in the sunglasses holder and half out (or what ever portion of it that allow visibility not to be blocked), like that the cloth absorbed the water so it didn't leak down.
sounds perfect and a good idea, so i wanted to ask you a little more about this, was it like every other rain storm you had this? and is it literally in the sunglass holder and it like drips small amounts? i remember if i started driving on flat ground I wouldn't notice it till I hit a hill or turned and then it would drip, it was almost like the sunglass hodler held the water in untill tipped out. is that similar to what you had?

PS. this is not related to the floor board, and I have a leak with that as well, and I am thinking that is door gasket to keep on topic
Old 10-19-2018, 01:48 AM

sounds perfect and a good idea, so i wanted to ask you a little more about this, was it like every other rain storm you had this? and is it literally in the sunglass holder and it like drips small amounts? i remember if i started driving on flat ground I wouldn't notice it till I hit a hill or turned and then it would drip, it was almost like the sunglass hodler held the water in untill tipped out. is that similar to what you had?

PS. this is not related to the floor board, and I have a leak with that as well, and I am thinking that is door gasket to keep on topic
If just drizzled then no, but if it actually rained a good amount then yes every time. I don't believe it was pilling up in the holder, it would be damp inside the holder but there was no pilled up water, and yet even when closed the water would drip down from around the cover of the holder. I think it was pilling up in a crevice above the holder near the windshield, not 100% sure. And exactly like mine, wouldn't happen on flat surfaces, but on turns or hills then it would drip, sometimes quite a good amount. definitely surprised some passengers on left turns.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:16 AM

thanks man! sounds very very simlar! gonna call the window people to resolve.
Old 10-26-2018, 09:29 AM

I having the same issue with my I30; rained hard lately and noticed water on my passenger side floor area; having a difficult time tracing the source of the leaks
Old 10-27-2018, 07:21 AM

You guys with the sunroof leaks. There is only one way for anyone to fix if the gasket is in acceptable condition and it's super easy. On the left a right side there is two 10mm bolts/nuts. Either loosen and adjust or take out glass and shim. A quick realign fixes the leaks most of the time. The dealership still has shims (c washers) and they are cheap. If you get those you don't even have to take out the glass. Or regular washers. It usually just takes a little adjusting. Most sunroofs work this way. I just went through this a couple months ago. I had a leak and the glass was sitting kinda low so I figured a shim would take care of both. It was in the shop so theu said they would just do it real quick. The glass was now sitting a little to high and you could hear extra wind noise. Not to mention the leak was still there albeit much less. So I took the shims back out. Fixed the leak and the glass sits correctly. In the end it just took an adjustment.

Last edited by Theslaking; 10-27-2018 at 07:27 AM.