New Cats, Any Experience With These? - Maxima Forums

Go Back  Maxima Forums > Maxima Discussions > 5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003)
Reload this Page >

New Cats, Any Experience With These?

5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Old 10-19-2018, 08:57 PM

Anyone had a run with these? I just ordered both.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/162180589893

https://www.ebay.com/itm/162133668835
Old 10-20-2018, 12:14 AM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by User1 View Post
Anyone had a run with these? I just ordered both.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/162180589893

https://www.ebay.com/itm/162133668835
Who has cats? tsk tsk
Old 10-20-2018, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn View Post
Who has cats? tsk tsk
*****, apparently...

Remember, going for longevity and economy here. And silence. I'm an old man now and have grown wise in my years. My days of attracting the attention of the Man with obscenely loud performance exhaust systems are over. I want to blow by smokey without making a sound.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:19 AM
Bad *** Newb

*****, apparently...

Remember, going for longevity and economy here. And silence. I'm an old man now and have grown wise in my years. My days of attracting the attention of the Man with obscenely loud performance exhaust systems are over. I want to blow by smokey without making a sound.
Cops don't pay attention to maximas. I've been ripping by and antagonizing them for years with full exhaust. They don't care. Headers/gutted cats barely increases sound with stock catback.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:34 AM

Cops don't pay attention to maximas. I've been ripping by and antagonizing them for years with full exhaust. They don't care. Headers/gutted cats barely increases sound with stock catback.
Funny you mention gutted cats. I pulled my old motor earlier this week at around noon in the blazing hot heat and humidity in the middle of what is certainly the hottest summer Florida has ever seen in history and guess what I saw inside the cats that came loosely bolted to my engine... That's right, nothing. I didn't take notice of the tone or volume when I had it running (in limp mode) for the 5 minutes or so that it ran since I had it towed to my house in July, but I do recall it wasn't that bad. I thought the excessive noise was just because it was in P0021/20 limp mode and was running like ****. I'm still not swayed. I will be stealth.

"I will be as a fly on the wall. A grain of salt in the ocean. I shall slip amongst them like a transparent........ thing."

-Ace Ventura
Old 10-21-2018, 12:42 AM

Funny you mention gutted cats. I pulled my old motor earlier this week at around noon in the blazing hot heat and humidity in the middle of what is certainly the hottest summer Florida has ever seen in history and guess what I saw inside the cats that came loosely bolted to my engine... That's right, nothing. I didn't take notice of the tone or volume when I had it running (in limp mode) for the 5 minutes or so that it ran since I had it towed to my house in July, but I do recall it wasn't that bad. I thought the excessive noise was just because it was in P0021/20 limp mode and was running like ****. I'm still not swayed. I will be stealth.

"I will be as a fly on the wall. A grain of salt in the ocean. I shall slip amongst them like a transparent........ thing."

-Ace Ventura
IM with you also i did not want a loud car after the thought of gutting cats. But now I have all 3 cats gutted and no resonator just straight pipe, from the y-pipe to muffler. It sounds nice Just like an infiniti FX.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:34 AM

i hate loud exhaust, i gutted cats w no worries. the tone slightly chagned to a nicer tone, but not loud at all even on WOT.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:41 AM

FWIW, I purchased those pre cats from CA off of ebay in 2016 for my '03 Maxima because I didn't want to just gut and reinstall the originals (also the bank 2 OEM pre cat was in pretty rough shape, rust is an issue up here in Philly). The results with the Ebay pre cats were OK. The Bank 2 fit perfectly and is running good with no issues. However, the Bank 1 pre cat that I purchased from them wasn't specd properly, and it actually rubbed on the passenger side cv axle as the body of the pre cat was larger in diameter than the OEM bank 1 pre cat. Thought I'd throw you a heads up before you purchase!
Old 10-22-2018, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by sanford7575 View Post
FWIW, I purchased those pre cats from CA off of ebay in 2016 for my '03 Maxima because I didn't want to just gut and reinstall the originals (also the bank 2 OEM pre cat was in pretty rough shape, rust is an issue up here in Philly). The results with the Ebay pre cats were OK. The Bank 2 fit perfectly and is running good with no issues. However, the Bank 1 pre cat that I purchased from them wasn't specd properly, and it actually rubbed on the passenger side cv axle as the body of the pre cat was larger in diameter than the OEM bank 1 pre cat. Thought I'd throw you a heads up before you purchase!
thanks for the info ! good to know ! i def understand the camp with keeping things the same and just replacing. what did you do to fix the conflict in hitting the CV axle?
Old 10-22-2018, 01:10 PM

I hope they work for him....I have Cattman Headers...I would've switched to headers if I was him...
Old 10-22-2018, 08:36 PM

Big thanks for the heads up! I actually ordered them the day before the original post. I emailed the guy that owns warpspeed and he actually recommended them after I had already had them saved to my ebay watch list, so I just went ahead and ordered them. Also, Prophecy already asked, but I'm interested in your response as well about bank 1 not fitting. How did you resolve that? Hope mine doesn't have that issue or I'll be sending it back!
Old 10-23-2018, 03:07 PM

Apologies on the delayed response. I never really fixed the issue. The passenger side axle actully rubs against the body of the pre cat. There's marks on the axle and the pre cat body to prove it. There's enough room to install, but it rubs.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:47 PM

Apologies on the delayed response. I never really fixed the issue. The passenger side axle actully rubs against the body of the pre cat. There's marks on the axle and the pre cat body to prove it. There's enough room to install, but it rubs.
No problem. Well, my cats will be here Thursday. Hopefully they clear everything! I don't really feel like modding a cat to clear an axle. We'll see.
Old 01-01-2019, 05:27 PM

Sure enough, my passenger side axle rubs bank 1 pre cat too. I hope someone has a solution! I have the engine 98% ready to drop in and will be doing so tomorrow afternoon. The axle only needs about 2-3mm clearance. Any ideas? I really don't want to delay this swap any longer and have nothing else to use! I don't want to just let it rub and end up grinding a hole in the cat. Can't really beat on the wall of the cat because that will destroy substrate. Any ideas would be appreciated!
Old 01-01-2019, 06:54 PM
Bad *** Newb

Sure enough, my passenger side axle rubs bank 1 pre cat too. I hope someone has a solution! I have the engine 98% ready to drop in and will be doing so tomorrow afternoon. The axle only needs about 2-3mm clearance. Any ideas? I really don't want to delay this swap any longer and have nothing else to use! I don't want to just let it rub and end up grinding a hole in the cat. Can't really beat on the wall of the cat because that will destroy substrate. Any ideas would be appreciated!
Just say NO to cats. They're worse than drugs.

Multiple exhaust gaskets would space the manifold back and you could wallow the Y pipe bolt holes some.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 01-01-2019 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-01-2019, 06:59 PM

Just say NO to cats. They're worse than drugs.

Multiple exhaust gaskets would space the manifold back and you could wallow the Y pipe bolt holes some.
I don't have anything else to use at the moment. Won't torch and hammer fracture substrate and eventually be ingested by the engine?
Old 01-01-2019, 07:11 PM
Bad *** Newb

I don't have anything else to use at the moment. Won't torch and hammer fracture substrate and eventually be ingested by the engine?
Yeah, it'll weaken it for sure.

What happened to the old gaskets? B/c I thought you bought new ones with that super puckered *******.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:20 PM

Yeah, it'll weaken it for sure.

What happened to the old gaskets? B/c I thought you bought new ones with that super puckered *******.
I bought new everything. And some stuff twice even (see: front cover re-do with all associated gaskets). I still have the old stuff in the pile of junk that was once the old engine. I may try the multiple gaskets. I would rather try heating and making an indent with a piece of one inch steel pipe though. I mean it when I say I only need 3mm. Fragmented substrate particles in the cat scares me though. I have an email out to the Ebay seller as well. We'll see what he says. He needs to rectify somehow. It's basically unusable in this state.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:13 PM

maybe take cat off and put it in a press and put something on the spot that is interfering and squeeze. I'm sure that will do much less damage if any to the substrate when compare to banging on it to get the 3mm you need
Old 01-01-2019, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by fd3rew View Post
maybe take cat off and put it in a press and put something on the spot that is interfering and squeeze. I'm sure that will do much less damage if any to the substrate when compare to banging on it to get the 3mm you need
Excellent idea! I have a big bench vise. I'll use a piece of steel pipe on the side I need clearance and some wood on the other. Do you or anyone know if the substrate is brittle?
Old 01-02-2019, 10:54 AM

Well here it is. I am really debating whether or not to let this fly. I only need a couple mm to clear. It rubs ever so slightly. Is this something you would let ride? Will a trip or two around the block grind away the minuscule amount of material it needs to clear then stop rubbing and not be a problem? ? It barely makes any noise when I rotate the axle. I filed a tiny amount of material from the surface of the cat and it helped. i don't want to put a hole through the wall though.

So, let it ride or buy a new cat?

Old 01-02-2019, 05:55 PM

I'm going to order another cat. Heat expansion will put a hole in it over time. There's nothing that can be done without damaging the substrate. Stand by...
Old 01-02-2019, 08:46 PM

I'm going to order another cat. Heat expansion will put a hole in it over time. There's nothing that can be done without damaging the substrate. Stand by...
It looks like you got the wrong size cat, or the wrong year, that cat should not have been that wide. Its a tight fit so its a very slim design no wonder its rubbing, its too big. I recommed you order a cat from rockauto thats where i got mine from and it fit perfect.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by maxinout93 View Post
It looks like you got the wrong size cat, or the wrong year, that cat should not have been that wide. Its a tight fit so its a very slim design no wonder its rubbing, its too big. I recommed you order a cat from rockauto thats where i got mine from and it fit perfect.
Unknown. Either way, it makes contact ever so slightly and I don't want to run it like that. If I don't hear back from the seller tomorrow, I'll remove it, heat the area of contact and put a small dimple in it. If that doesn't look good to me, I'll order another cheap Ebay cat.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:18 PM

Can I run gutted cats and O2 extenders on the post cat sensors? Will that work without any problems? I bought new OEM Bosch precat sensors. I don't really care about the post cat sensors right now (they look ok).
Old 01-03-2019, 12:41 PM

Can I run gutted cats and O2 extenders on the post cat sensors? Will that work without any problems? I bought new OEM Bosch precat sensors. I don't really care about the post cat sensors right now (they look ok).

Yes, it how a lot of us are set up. Gut and run o2 spacers post cat.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by TallTom View Post
Yes, it how a lot of us are set up. Gut and run o2 spacers post cat.
I was trying to avoid the noise with gutted cats but that may be the way to go. I was trying to remain silent exhaust.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:57 PM

Done deal. I'm not effing with this exhaust anymore. I just ordered a new cat.

Amazon Amazon
Old 01-04-2019, 08:06 AM

I was trying to avoid the noise with gutted cats but that may be the way to go. I was trying to remain silent exhaust.
You would barely notice an increase in sound with gutted precats. Noise doesn't really increase, the sound just slightly deepens in octave if that makes sense. If you rode in my car, you wouldn't even notice the difference (running OEM style catback).

The only other indication of gutted precats, is a slightly gurgling sound when standing outside behind the car. I wished I could hear it inside but cannot. It's that subtle.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:18 AM

+1 subtle as anything, slight slight different deeper tone, but no increase in volume, i have stock catback as well. sounds stock.