Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003-7/)
-   -   Any OG 5th-genners still around here? (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003/702833-any-og-5th-genners-still-around-here.html)

irish44j 11-04-2018 06:13 PM

Any OG 5th-genners still around here?

Just dropping in to say hi, it's been a while. Hope you are all doing well

:.orgy:

cgilley 11-04-2018 07:46 PM

OG? old guys?

The Wizard 11-04-2018 08:20 PM

Original Gangstas..... :naughty:

Theslaking 11-05-2018 04:31 AM

Original Gunners of the 5th gens?

Derrick2k2SE 11-05-2018 05:57 AM

At this point it probably is more like Old Guys.
Still here and still have the 02.
Just sold the stock 00 a few months ago though.

Prophecy99 11-05-2018 06:38 AM

still here dude ! hope all is well with you !! still have the max, im around 241k !, nice to have you stop in, whats new with you !? hows the subbie ?

TSelanne 11-05-2018 07:37 AM

Nice timing Irish.......I was just re-reading some of your old threads on your SFC install. :)

I'm not an OG, but definitely qualify as an old guy. Most of the OG's moved to facebook. Which sucks, because information gets lost so quickly over there. Would be great if there were a way to connect the two platforms. A bunch of guys are doing some pretty cool things these days with their 5th gens.

TallTom 11-05-2018 08:19 AM

I still have mine. I think I just passed 180k. It's only driven on the weekends, if that.

maxiiiboy 11-05-2018 09:03 AM

I still drive mine - original owner of 2000SE.
I was forced to replace my precats couple of years ago (I am in California), but other than that it drives like new.

CMax03 11-05-2018 09:16 AM

I'm still here dealing with trying to help the younger orgers as much as I can...

stockmax 11-05-2018 04:10 PM

183K on my 2000. Retired as my daily driver back in 2010, now being driven by my younger son. Car is doing great, still looks great, original clutch even after me and two teenage drivers. Don't think I'll ever get rid of this car.

Child_uv_KoRn 11-05-2018 04:31 PM

Oil Gulpers? XD

Prophecy99 11-06-2018 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by TSelanne (Post 9186979)
Nice timing Irish.......I was just re-reading some of your old threads on your SFC install. :)

I'm not an OG, but definitely qualify as an old guy. Most of the OG's moved to facebook. Which sucks, because information gets lost so quickly over there. Would be great if there were a way to connect the two platforms. A bunch of guys are doing some pretty cool things these days with their 5th gens.

are you gonna fab your own SFC's? if u want bolt on , there are ones from Ultra Racing, i have em and love em !

Derrick2k2SE 11-06-2018 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn (Post 9187001)
Oil Gulpers? XD

:spit:

Chris8428 11-06-2018 07:44 AM

I am late to the party as I have only owned my 2001 SE Max for about a year and half. It has 193,6XX miles and is my daily driver. Everything on the car works and although I only bought the car to save on gas from the SUV I was driving I have really enjoyed the car. Thanks to everyone who contributes advice and info on this site as I am not using FB to learn about fixing my car.

LA02MAX 11-06-2018 08:24 AM

Mine still looks like new with 250k miles :) Still drive it just as hard as I did on day one.

irish44j 11-06-2018 01:27 PM

5 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by TSelanne (Post 9186979)

Oh yeah, I'm still in the DCMax facebook group and talk to a lot of the locals (most of them 5th genners) a good bit. I still occasionally hang out with Cutlr, Soonerfan, Pat Henry, and a few other old-timers who are local. A few other old-school maxima.org'ers are on other forums or do other stuff I do (several of them are into e30s these days), so occasionally run into them online here and there.

Originally Posted by CMax03 (Post 9186985)
I'm still here dealing with trying to help the younger orgers as much as I can...

lol, well someone has to!

Originally Posted by Prophecy99 (Post 9186974)
still here dude ! hope all is well with you !! still have the max, im around 241k !, nice to have you stop in, whats new with you !? hows the subbie ?

After 10 years and 175,000 the WRX was just sold a couple months. Was starting ton need more work that I wanted to do on it (it did most of those miles with a 280awhp tune, full suspension, etc). Just picked up a new GTI for my commute. Otherwise, still doing rallycross/stage rally in my e30, and wrapping up a rebuild of a $1000 craigslist Porsche 924S, which is my road-trip car these days.

Still miss the niche community here. Though it's funny, I went into this forum to see about answering questions and damn I've forgotten everything about 5th gens at this point it seems lol.

My current toys:
Attachment 59384

Attachment 59385

Attachment 59386

Hard parking next to Ken Block at New England Forest Rally...before his Cossie went up in flames

Attachment 59387

and my tow pig

Attachment 59388

Prophecy99 11-07-2018 12:53 PM

great to hear all the updates man ! pretty impressive ! did you get to meet block? in hindsight what would you say to a maxima guy who would consider a subbie as a next vehicle? its nice to hear from guys who left the maxima world and went other makes and hear their hindsight's.

man that toyota nice get up, is that your mobile garage with the lights etc, pretty kool!? how do the tools hold up in that box? i would worry a drawer wasn't locked shut or something.

and have you started any mods on the commuter !? you must be tempted to do some small things =)

Donkeypunch 11-07-2018 06:37 PM

nice white power avatar brother.

cdoublejj 11-07-2018 08:38 PM

i may have to give mine up, the electrical gremlins are getting me. rust too i don't wanna give it up. i'd restore it on rotisserie if i could but, if i do that i'll need a reliable commuter.

EDIT: Any OGs have 5th gen pics?

Prophecy99 11-08-2018 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by cdoublejj (Post 9187206)
i may have to give mine up, the electrical gremlins are getting me. rust too i don't wanna give it up. i'd restore it on rotisserie if i could but, if i do that i'll need a reliable commuter.

what do u wanna see ? plenty of old pics of my maximas going back 10 years...

irish44j 11-08-2018 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeypunch (Post 9187194)
nice white power avatar brother.

Well, it's a Celtic wheel cross - an Irish Christian cross created by Saint Patrick about a thousand years ago that has nothing to do with racism or white power bull****. Though upon looking things up on the internet, it appears douchebag racists seem to have appropriated it, which is sad and disappointing (guess I haven't been keeping up with my racist-appropriated symbols...). So, I actually appreciate you pointing it out so I can remove it. ****ing racists.....gotta ruin everything.

Lontar1 11-08-2018 07:38 PM

Long time Irish.... How you been... I'm still around..... Nice to hear from you

irish44j 11-08-2018 08:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Prophecy99 (Post 9187164)
great to hear all the updates man ! pretty impressive ! did you get to meet block? in hindsight what would you say to a maxima guy who would consider a subbie as a next vehicle? its nice to hear from guys who left the maxima world and went other makes and hear their hindsight's.

man that toyota nice get up, is that your mobile garage with the lights etc, pretty kool!? how do the tools hold up in that box? i would worry a drawer wasn't locked shut or something.

and have you started any mods on the commuter !? you must be tempted to do some small things =)

Sure, I said hi to him. The thing about rally is that nobody really gets treated like a celebrity by other drivers. Block is "Ken," Patrana is "Travis," and both of them are slower than David Higgins (who is so badass he is just "Higgins" lol. I won't pretend like they're good buddies or anything (low-budget teams like us tend to know the other low-budget teams that grid near us, not the guys at the front of the line!), but I've certainly talked with all of them here and there. They're all nice guys, nothing bad to say abou them - just like most rally drivers/navigators.

What would I say? Meh. I am not brand-loyal at all. I buy whatever car I enjoy driving and meets my needs. I mean, I've had a Jeep, two Toyota SUVs, Maxima, Integra, Accord, WRX, Mazda3, GTI, two BMWs, two Porsches, a Triumph, and a few other cars lol.... The WRX was a great car for 170,000 miles, moderately modded and the fastest car I've owned. I do miss it, but it was getting to be too much work after a decade and i wanted something new that got better fuel mileage. If I didn't commute 50+ miles a day I'd likely have gotten a new WRX.

As to the truck, it used to be my wife's baby-hauler (she has a CX-9 now). The tool chest is only on there when we're at local transits to rally service parks (since you can't take a trailer there). Otherwise, it lives on the trailer. That hitch platform is more than enough to hold it, and we've done some pretty gnarly mountain driving with the toolchest back there lol. There's a lock-bar so the drawers dont' slide out haha...it's way better than trying to lug that whole thing up into the truck (which is usually full of tires and bins of spare parts)

Attachment 59383

The GTI won't get much. I already got rid of the hideous stock wheels and terrible tires and replaced them with some CC wheels and better tires. Tinted it, added some mudflaps (since I'll use it for rally recconnaisance "recce" runs), and deleted a resonator to give it a bit more sound. Otherwise, no plans to do anything to it....I bought a car with a 6 year/72k bumper-to-bumper warranty for a reason lol. Plus, I have a limited amount of car money and I'd rather spend it on the Porsche and the rally car. The GTI is just a reasonably fun appliance for me, really.

irish44j 11-08-2018 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Lontar1 (Post 9187286)
Long time Irish.... How you been... I'm still around..... Nice to hear from you

yeah man, good good. Though I'm gonna laugh at you a bit still having a cardomain link down there in your sig. Damn that's some old-school. :) Car looks good though!

irish44j 11-08-2018 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by cdoublejj (Post 9187206)

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/maxima....7988b679a3.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/maxima....50afd937ba.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/maxima....7b73820d1a.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/maxima....99ac57a322.jpg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/maxima....910c6b593d.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/maxima....dcd66d3a17.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/maxima....7f4fcedd3.jpeg

Prophecy99 11-09-2018 05:35 AM

nice updates ! and nice to hear those big name drivers/riders are humble regular guys, very kool man !, and thanks for all of your insight, and all of your logic w cars and what they are designated for makes sense, and i am glad you slightly modded the commuter ! i knew u couldnt leave it bone stock =) , i am doing 50 miles a day for work as well, killing my only car. =(

glad all is well brother ! time is freaking flying ! what do you do with all the toys in the winter? is there still a driving season in the cold months?

irish44j 11-09-2018 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Prophecy99 (Post 9187307)
nice updates ! and nice to hear those big name drivers/riders are humble regular guys, very kool man !, and thanks for all of your insight, and all of your logic w cars and what they are designated for makes sense, and i am glad you slightly modded the commuter ! i knew u couldnt leave it bone stock =) , i am doing 50 miles a day for work as well, killing my only car. =(

glad all is well brother ! time is freaking flying ! what do you do with all the toys in the winter? is there still a driving season in the cold months?

Rally car runs in winter rallies (it has two full sets of snow tires). In fact, we won the 2WD class at one in PA last year. Rallycross season here ends this month, but there are winter rallycrosses in other nearby regions I can go to if I want to. There is also a winter track-cross series at Summit Point raceway all winter long, so I may go do one or two of those events either in the rally car or the Porsche. In any case, all the cars will get their miles in over the winter too, lol. We don't get a ton of snow here anyhow.

Scottwax 11-10-2018 03:09 PM

Still check in from time to time. Considered buying another '02 6 speed about a year ago but it went really quick, ad had only been up a couple days and it was gone. Maxima supply, even with the automatic are getting really slim around here. Was looking for one as a work car, then I could sell my girlfriend's Escape and she can drive my Accord. But haven't seen a 6MT pop up around here in several months now. Frankly, I've seen more V6/6 speed Accord sedans in the last two years than 6 speed Maximas.

G35 going strong, had it tuned at Jotech in Garland, TX last fall, picked up 16 hp and 23 lb-ft torque on top of the bolt ons. Only put out 238 hp at the wheels after but it was nearly 90 and they left my a/c on. They said to come back in the winter to get my hero numbers...and of course pay for my dyno time. But the gains were very noticeable and lets just say I know its quicker than a friend's Q50 which went 14.1 at 99 at the Motorplex in the summer heat this year. Still on the original clutch at 171,000 miles. The '04 Accord I bought after my 6MT Maxima was totaled in 2011 with 75k miles on it is now over 248k miles. Still runs great.

Prophecy99 11-13-2018 04:33 AM

great to hear from you Scottwax, the g35 sounds great, especially with those miles ! nice. glad all is well

Maxout92 01-19-2019 07:44 PM

a33i30 01-22-2020 11:22 PM

I'm going to bump this thread.. I hadn't visited this site in so long but remember all of your posts I would follow over 10 years ago. I moved on to 2 G37s then an A6 3.0t and have had my E92 M3 for 4 years now and a 986 Boxster. I do still have the I30 but it wasn't being driven and now I'm slowly getting it road worthy again. Great to see I'm not the only one still checking in. This community was definitely a good one.

LA02MAX 01-23-2020 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by a33i30 (Post 9216037)
I'm going to bump this thread.. I hadn't visited this site in so long but remember all of your posts I would follow over 10 years ago. I moved on to 2 G37s then an A6 3.0t and have had my E92 M3 for 4 years now and a 986 Boxster. I do still have the I30 but it wasn't being driven and now I'm slowly getting it road worthy again. Great to see I'm not the only one still checking in. This community was definitely a good one.

:wavey:

Good collection of cars! I traded my 335i in on a 2018 Titan, and I have a 981 Boxster S. Plus the maxima lol. Too many cars, maybe, but they all have a purpose and I can't seem to let the maxima go for pennies when it doesn't cost me much to keep it.

Prophecy99 01-23-2020 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by a33i30 (Post 9216037)
This community was definitely a good one.

is still a great community*** =)

slvr2KSE5 01-23-2020 08:47 AM

Kinda. I lose interest in things quickly then will revisit them 15 years later.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/maxima....fac0166ac2.jpg

Prophecy99 01-28-2020 04:37 AM

nice to see you still have the maximas =)

crazy97 02-08-2020 03:28 PM

Still have my 03 6spd I bought in 07. Still a great car. In the middle of a water outlet gasket fix(drivers side) PITA.. But worth it. If anything happens to it, would most likely get a 13 G37x. I hate any newer Maxes than ours.

slvr2KSE5 02-08-2020 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by crazy97 (Post 9216784)
Still have my 03 6spd I bought in 07. Still a great car. In the middle of a water outlet gasket fix(drivers side) PITA.. But worth it. If anything happens to it, would most likely get a 13 G37x. I hate any newer Maxes than ours.

Truth. I also dislike the 04+. Love the looks of the new ones but too heavy and no manual kills it for me.

G37 is a great car.

03_GLE 02-13-2020 09:38 AM

What's up guys? OG member here - formerly Steves01max. Left the Maxima game after it got into an accident and ended up purchasing a Grey Luster 2003 GLE in September of last year with a soft 68,000 original miles on it; every option except navi. Full service record history to boot (literally an entire file folder chock full of everything down to oil changes and tire rotations) with an interior and exterior you could eat off of. I will probably never sell this beauty unless another tractor trailer pulls another Maxima hit job.
:dog:
After having an 08 GS350 and '17 Q50, the Maxima still captures my heart for a car. Prior car was a Super Black Anniversary Edition -- sorely missed. Great to see 5th gens still carry this much love (and hate depending on who you ask). Future mods to come once the weather starts warming up. Best wishes to all of you!

Prophecy99 02-14-2020 08:33 AM

nice to here dude !! does it feel old after the q50 ?