Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003-7/)
-   -   03 Nissan Maxima 3.5 help!!!!!!! (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003/703247-03-nissan-maxima-3-5-help.html)

Bigb83 12-25-2018 11:38 AM

03 Nissan Maxima 3.5 help!!!!!!!

I recently bought a Maxima a couple months ago. When I first bought it I didn’t have any issues. Couple weeks later it started having problems inside like the power windows, auto headlamp, cruise, transmission won’t shift, heated seats all don’t work. Every time I crank the car to drive it I have to let it idle for 10-15 minutes and then it’ll beep 3 times and everything that doesn’t work will go to working. I’ve replaced ECM, TCM, SECU. Cleaned all grounds and re-tightened that I’m aware of. I’ve looked all over the post for the 5th gen and cannot find anything. Any help would be sure appreciated. I’m at my wits end with it. Has U1000 and U1001 codes. Also SLIP and TCS OFF stay on until it beeps and resets.

ajahearn 12-25-2018 12:19 PM

This is a guess - but based on reading the ESM, there may be a intermittent short on the CAN lines. Since you've gone ahead and replaced the logical devices and checked the ground, I think you are going to have to check the wiring entirely of these lines (high and low). Again just a guess. The ESM suggests using a CONSULT II to check for errors - not sure if you have tried that or gotten someone to check for you.

Bigb83 12-25-2018 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by ajahearn (Post 9191220)
this is a guess - but based on reading the esm, there may be a intermittent short on the can lines. Since you've gone ahead and replaced the logical devices and checked the ground, i think you are going to have to check the wiring entirely of these lines (high and low). Again just a guess. The esm suggests using a consult ii to check for errors - not sure if you have tried that or gotten someone to check for you.

esm?

Bigb83 12-28-2018 07:54 PM

Electronic Service Manual. Slipped my mind lol. Well I had access to a Consult II but the card messed up. So I’m down to a Matco scanner and I hooked it up and it shows some possibilities. One was the instrument cluster and the other was the auto air head unit?? Not sure. Are they linked through the CAN system?

DennisMik 12-29-2018 10:16 AM

What part beeps 3 times? I've never heard of that. Does the car have an aftermarket add-on like an alarm, remote starter?

The heated seats have absolutely nothing to do with the CAN and I don't think that the CAN is used with the instrument cluster or the auto a/c control panel. It is used with so many other things, though, such as the TCM, the SECU, door locks, windows, lights. The auto a/c control panel does have its own LAN that is used to control the motors for the air ducts, but I don't think the CAN is involved.

After the ECU/ECM, the SECU module is the next most involved control module in the car. It has a say in just about everything on the CAN. While the service manual says the U1000/U1001 codes are wiring related, I would be willing to bet that info is far from accurate. Any module the CAN goes to could interfere with operations. Without having a CONSULT unit, I have no idea how to diagnose this.

Bigb83 12-31-2018 01:07 PM

The beep is the same beep as the door beep when you have the door open. Every time I go to drive the car you have to let it set idling for 10-15 min until it beeps those three times and then the stuff that doesn’t work will start working. It doesn’t have any after market alarm. It has the factory one and that’s it. I already thought about that and looked. On my Matco scanner it gives you some options as to what the possibilities could be. That’s where it said about the cluster or the auto air unit could be bad. I’ve already been through the things it could be by what I’ve been told or talking to other mechanics. I heard they had problems with the engine harness but I haven’t replaced it. I’ve wiggled and pulled on it to see if anything would change but no luck. Even the little lights in the power window switches don’t work. The transmission stays in what feels like 2nd or 3rd gear. The heated seats. The cruise flashes. And the auto headlights all don’t work. But when it sets at idle for that 10-15 min it’ll beep three times and all that stuff will come on and work. The transmission will shift and all. And I also have to cut it off and then crank it right back up for the SLIP and TCS/off light to go off before the cruise will work. Then I can drive on with no issues until I cut it off again and it sets for a few min. Then the process starts all over again.

Bigb83 12-31-2018 01:10 PM

I don’t know if this will help but it also had a code for one of the o2s and the ABS module.