Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003-7/)
-   -   Having problems keeping it running/ looking to get rid of it if possible. (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003/703390-having-problems-keeping-running-looking-get-rid-if-possible.html)

Cayden245 01-11-2019 01:38 PM

Having problems keeping it running/ looking to get rid of it if possible.

Hey All, never reached out much like this before but I figured that I'd have better luck talking with people who actually understand these things. I purchased a 2001 Nissan Maxima 20th anniversary edition a few years back and have had struggles trying to keep the dang thing running. The problem I'm having now is, the rare occasion it starts and drives it seems like it just wants to die. The last time I drove it, it was driving fine then all of a sudden my foot went to the floor and the dash lit up like a Christmas tree and it all shut off and the steering and brakes became cement. So it hasn't been driven since, and I struggle to even get it to start half the time. I'm about to be attending college, and was hoping I could get at least another year out of it but if not that's fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated, or even if it could be bought by somebody on here to help me out some. Thank you, And have a Good day.

DennisMik 01-11-2019 01:43 PM

The first thing you need to do is connect an OBD code reader to the car and read codes. The engine doesn't have to be running, but the ignition key has to be in the ON position.

Then come back and tell us what those codes are.

Cayden245 01-11-2019 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik (Post 9192609)
The first thing you need to do is connect an OBD code reader to the car and read codes. The engine doesn't have to be running, but the ignition key has to be in the ON position.

Thank you for the quick and speedy response; I will get it read asap, And will get back as soon as I do. All the auto stores are closed around here, so I gotta wait for my neighbor to get home.

Mike88SE 01-11-2019 03:33 PM

You could buy a Bluetooth scan tool to use an app on your phone to read codes and do other cool stuff. From what you wrote it sounds like this would be useful if you keep the car. It's handy even if you don't keep this car. You can use it on any OBDII vehicle. I'd recommend having your alternator checked.

Child_uv_KoRn 01-12-2019 02:13 PM

Want to make a pool on whether it's cam, crank or maf sensor?

Cayden245 01-12-2019 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik (Post 9192609)

Not sure if it sent or not because it didn't post on here, but I scanned it today with my neighbors Actron Autoscanner ® Plus and it showed up with no codes. Now online I've seen some people say that if it shows no codes it could be the battery or alternator, Any thoughts about that? And I charged my battery before I had put it in and when I unplugged the scanner, I try to start it and it all shutdown again. But when I took out the key, the door lights were still on. So I'm leaning towards it may have something to do with the battery or alternator, or even if the alternator has been bad for awhile even with a newer battery, wouldn't it slowly Kill the battery itself?

Child_uv_KoRn 01-12-2019 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Cayden245 (Post 9192675)
Not sure if it sent or not because it didn't post on here, but I scanned it today with my neighbors Actron Autoscanner ® Plus and it showed up with no codes. Now online I've seen some people say that if it shows no codes it could be the battery or alternator, Any thoughts about that? And I charged my battery before I had put it in and when I unplugged the scanner, I try to start it and it all shutdown again. But when I took out the key, the door lights were still on. So I'm leaning towards it may have something to do with the battery or alternator, or even if the alternator has been bad for awhile even with a newer battery, wouldn't it slowly Kill the battery itself?

Sensors don't have to throw codes at all. Crank sensors seem highly suspect since it doesn't want to start. You're gonna have to check for spark/fuel to narrow it down. You should be getting fuel, but not spark.

I just reread your post...foot to the floor?

Cayden245 01-12-2019 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn (Post 9192693)
Sensors don't have to throw codes at all. Crank sensors seem highly suspect since it doesn't want to start. You're gonna have to check for spark/fuel to narrow it down. You should be getting fuel, but not spark.

I just reread your post...foot to the floor?

Gotcha. How would I go about doing/checking that? And Yes, It was the weirdest thing. Was driving fine and then all of a sudden when the dash lit up there was no pressure behind the gas pedal which made my foot go to the floor, and then the steering and brakes were like cement to move.

DennisMik 01-13-2019 12:19 PM

All the dash lights on combined with the brakes and steering being hard means the engine stopped running.

Start by getting the battery tested. Once you have a known good and fully charged battery in the car, start the engine. Once the engine is running, use a voltmeter to measure the battery voltage. The voltage should be between 13.8 and 14.2. If the reading is not in that range, you need to replace the alternator.

If the engine won't start, unplug the wire connector from the MAF and see if it will start that way.

Prophecy99 01-14-2019 07:14 AM

i have never had any codes for my CPS sensors, and your symptom of dying and loosing power steering and power brakes is simalar to what happened to me on the freeway when the CPS sensors crapped out. again no codes at all, i even had a dealership visually inspect the sensors and they said they were good, still had problems, replaced with OEM (very important) and havent had one issue since.

also once the sensors were really bad, the car wouldnt want to start but cranked. had to use throttle to help it start, and it barely puttered to the mechanic shop 1-2 miles away.

Prophecy99 01-14-2019 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Cayden245 (Post 9192695)
Gotcha. How would I go about doing/checking that? And Yes, It was the weirdest thing. Was driving fine and then all of a sudden when the dash lit up there was no pressure behind the gas pedal which made my foot go to the floor, and then the steering and brakes were like cement to move.

the dash lit up because the car shut off on you while driving, sounds like CPS sensors, replace w OEM

TallTom 01-14-2019 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn (Post 9192670)
Want to make a pool on whether it's cam, crank or maf sensor?

Are Hitachi sensors good enough for crank and cam, or just get them from the dealer?

Child_uv_KoRn 01-14-2019 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by TallTom (Post 9192793)
Are Hitachi sensors good enough for crank and cam, or just get them from the dealer?

Hitachi are oem (afaik).

NC5thGen 01-16-2019 12:23 AM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/maxima....4468b42fe1.jpg
Works great and I use it while driving