Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003-7/)
-   -   Getting her right (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003/703650-getting-her-right.html)

blkmax1 02-12-2019 04:36 PM

Getting her right

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/maxima....08aef2bdd0.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/maxima....d5c35e858a.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/maxima....6c980da91b.jpg
Upgrading the clutch with a stage 2 Competition Clutch, new motor mounts, New duralast gold axles, etc. Looking to do another street tune once clutch is broken in...🏁. What other things can I do? I would like to know if the car has bigger injectors and if any internal work was done to the motor...Any of y'all know the original owner...

Slamrod 02-12-2019 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by blkmax1 (Post 9194997)
Upgrading the clutch with a stage 2 Competition Clutch, new motor mounts, New duralast gold axles, etc. Looking to do another street tune once clutch is broken in...🏁. What other things can I do? I would like to know if the car has bigger injectors and if any internal work was done to the motor...Any of y'all know the original owner...

If its not too late id steer clear of getting a stage 2 clutch, its overkill unless you plan on installing a turbo. Stage 1 is more than plenty for anything N/A. The stock clutch is even good enough for most applications. Also id recomend against the autozone axles unless you dont mind changing them every year. ES motor mounts can never hurt but you should make sure that they arent already installed, they dont break or go bad so replacing them would be pointless lol.

As far as injectors, theres no way to tell unless you look lol. Theres like a million modded maximas out there, no one is going to be able to tell you exactly what has been done to the car or the motor just from some exterior shots, or be able to tell you who the owner was. Based on the pictures it looks like a standard intake + exhaust job, coilovers, wheels... my bad if im not understanding you correctly but what exactly is your question here??

All in all though it looks fresh. How many miles and what did you pay?

blkmax1 02-13-2019 10:16 PM

Yeah it has mods such as Cattman 3" exhaust, headers, tein coilovers, ss intake manifold, some sort of street tune but I'm not sure. I already got the stage 2 clutch. I had to order the axles from Advance Auto, it sucks in the area I'm in its so hard to find parts in stock! Motor mounts are stock.

blkmax1 02-13-2019 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Slamrod (Post 9195001)

If its not too late id steer clear of getting a stage 2 clutch, its overkill unless you plan on installing a turbo. Stage 1 is more than plenty for anything N/A. The stock clutch is even good enough for most applications. Also id recomend against the autozone axles unless you dont mind changing them every year. ES motor mounts can never hurt but you should make sure that they arent already installed, they dont break or go bad so replacing them would be pointless lol.

As far as injectors, theres no way to tell unless you look lol. Theres like a million modded maximas out there, no one is going to be able to tell you exactly what has been done to the car or the motor just from some exterior shots, or be able to tell you who the owner was. Based on the pictures it looks like a standard intake + exhaust job, coilovers, wheels... my bad if im not understanding you correctly but what exactly is your question here??

Car has 132k right now but I know the car originally came from N.Y. Alot of work was done by Petrol works... I'm pretty sure it has minor bolt ons but I want to keep it realiable and upgrade injectors and maf if needed and maybe a set of cams then get it tuned so I know what I have. I'm looking for a Hlsd trans for next clutch job

blkmax1 02-13-2019 10:26 PM

I also plan on checking and replacing front end parts with Es polyurethane bushings etc, The car also has the 300zx big brake kit. By Summertime I want to have everything freshened up... I'm also putting Lucas 75w gear oil in trans. Is that the correct weight?

blkmax1 02-13-2019 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Slamrod (Post 9195001)

Bought it at 131k and paid $3300. Was that too much? Lol but at this point she's a keeper! Just want to keep it as the ultimate sleeper it is...

Slamrod 02-14-2019 07:19 AM

Well, the car definitely has bolt ons, considering you listed a bunch of them.. Before you go and start thinking about other mods/upgrades you should probably make sure that what you have currently is working properly. I heard some real horror stories about petrolworks here on long island, im not saying they are all bad because i have personally zero experience with them but people i have spoke to have told me that they were a nightmare to deal with. That being said, make sure what you have is properly installed. More importantly, make sure your car is tuned. You will need to have a wideband o2 sensor, your very first step here should be to make sure that you are not running lean or an otherwise dangerous tune. You might already have upgraded injectors, again, you need to actually look and see what you have, which means taking off that engine cover and inspecting your motor. Chances are you dont need bigger injectors for your current setup. For your trans, you will want MT-85 gear oil. Its formulated specifically for nissan transmissions.

3.3k is a fair price for the car you got at least in my opinion. The one MAJOR thing i would be looking out for, again, is that the car doesnt have some sort of issues. Modding these cars or any car for that matter gets to be very expensive - nobody is going to simply eat that loss by selling the car unless they have a good reason to. Not to be a pessimist but you need to make sure that your car is running well and that you didnt simply inherent someone elses mess that they got sick of dealing with. Make sure your oil/fluids are clean, theres not any knocking or nasty noises, no codes, no misfires, that your AFR isnt too lean or too rich, no electrical issues, etc etc... You want to make sure the car is healthy before you dump more money into it. If the car isnt what you thought it was, youll want to figure that out before you go and drop hundreds if not thousands of more dollars into it.

One last thing - what are your goals for this car? Is this going to be a daily driver or something that you want worked to the balls and only for the track? If its going to be a daily, again, id recommend against the stage 2 clutch. Even though you have it already, you are not going to come anywhere close to the power output a stage 2 is designed to handle, plus an aggressive clutch like that will not make for an enjoyable daily driver. From what you stated you seem to already have a pretty solid list of mods, realistically there isnt much more you could do other than going for a large bore MAF/intake (ie; 3.5inch or 4inch), injectors, and a tune to match it.

blkmax1 02-14-2019 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Slamrod (Post 9195160)
Well, the car definitely has bolt ons, considering you listed a bunch of them.. Before you go and start thinking about other mods/upgrades you should probably make sure that what you have currently is working properly. I heard some real horror stories about petrolworks here on long island, im not saying they are all bad because i have personally zero experience with them but people i have spoke to have told me that they were a nightmare to deal with. That being said, make sure what you have is properly installed. More importantly, make sure your car is tuned. You will need to have a wideband o2 sensor, your very first step here should be to make sure that you are not running lean or an otherwise dangerous tune. You might already have upgraded injectors, again, you need to actually look and see what you have, which means taking off that engine cover and inspecting your motor. Chances are you dont need bigger injectors for your current setup. For your trans, you will want MT-85 gear oil. Its formulated specifically for nissan transmissions.

3.3k is a fair price for the car you got at least in my opinion. The one MAJOR thing i would be looking out for, again, is that the car doesnt have some sort of issues. Modding these cars or any car for that matter gets to be very expensive - nobody is going to simply eat that loss by selling the car unless they have a good reason to. Not to be a pessimist but you need to make sure that your car is running well and that you didnt simply inherent someone elses mess that they got sick of dealing with. Make sure your oil/fluids are clean, theres not any knocking or nasty noises, no codes, no misfires, that your AFR isnt too lean or too rich, no electrical issues, etc etc... You want to make sure the car is healthy before you dump more money into it. If the car isnt what you thought it was, youll want to figure that out before you go and drop hundreds if not thousands of more dollars into it.

One last thing - what are your goals for this car? Is this going to be a daily driver or something that you want worked to the balls and only for the track? If its going to be a daily, again, id recommend against the stage 2 clutch. Even though you have it already, you are not going to come anywhere close to the power output a stage 2 is designed to handle, plus an aggressive clutch like that will not make for an enjoyable daily driver. From what you stated you seem to already have a pretty solid list of mods, realistically there isnt much more you could do other than going for a large bore MAF/intake (ie; 3.5inch or 4inch), injectors, and a tune to match it.

Thanks I definitely will look for a shop where I can get it tuned. It currently has a wideband sensor but I believe it needs a new sensor. It keeps a steady reading of 14.7 or 14.8. I'll see how she feels with the stage 2 clutch after initial break in. If not happy ill go with a Fidanza flywheel and Stage 1 Clutch.

Slamrod 02-14-2019 11:30 AM

that sounds like its probably an innovate wideband unit which uses a bosch sensor - which seem to die all the time. In any case you can pretty much count that sensor as being dead. If you do your hw you could definitely tune it yourself using something simple such as a VAFC2/apexi neo, but youll need to know what you are doing or else you can blow your motor.

blkmax1 02-14-2019 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Slamrod (Post 9195193)
that sounds like its probably an innovate wideband unit which uses a bosch sensor - which seem to die all the time. In any case you can pretty much count that sensor as being dead. If you do your hw you could definitely tune it yourself using something simple such as a VAFC2/apexi neo, but youll need to know what you are doing or else you can blow your motor.

Car does have a apexi unit. I'll see how I can tune it and what's needed.

Turbobink 02-15-2019 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by User1 (Post 9195010)
Paint those ugly radiator mounts and replace that rusty hardware.

Ever heard anyone say, "don't take financial advice from some who ain't a whole helluva-lot rich than you are."?

I think you should stop trying to give assembly, detailing and appearance maintenance advice until you become more the example.

Jus sayin ...

Slamrod 02-15-2019 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Turbobink (Post 9195284)
Ever heard anyone say, "don't take financial advice from some who ain't a whole helluva-lot rich than you are."?

I think you should stop trying to give assembly, detailing and appearance maintenance advice until you become more the example.

Jus sayin ...

If user1’s engine bay isnt clean then i dont know what is :confused:

god forbid you guys see the snarled crusty mess that is my engine bay lol

Turbobink 02-15-2019 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Slamrod (Post 9195310)
If user1’s engine bay isnt clean then i dont know what is :confused:

It's not a total train-wreck, but it certainly isn't at the level where he should feel free to condescend to others.

Slamrod 02-15-2019 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by User1 (Post 9195356)
I put my entire air box, both rocker covers AND my engine cover through two cycles in the dishwasher. TWO CYCLES! And you're tellin me my $hit ain't clean? For shame!

https://i.ibb.co/BNdtYPF/A292-ABCD-5...7936-B9-EF.jpg
Absolutely disgusting. You should be ashamed. :squint:

Turbobink 02-16-2019 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by User1 (Post 9195356)
I put my entire air box, both rocker covers AND my engine cover through two cycles in the dishwasher. TWO CYCLES! And you're tellin me my $hit ain't clean? For shame!

I do appreciate your sense of humor.

blkmax1 02-16-2019 06:40 PM

Ok finished the clutch but I'm having some issues at times selecting gears. I also put a new master cylinder and slave cylinder on car. I know the clutch pedal spring needs replacing because the pedal sticks... I have to pump pedal twice and I select the gears fine. Otherwise the car drives great and grabs great! I need to make sure its tuned right also.

blkmax1 02-19-2019 09:38 AM

Now I want to get this right. My wideband sensor stays like this at all times
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/maxima....b4bf5de281.jpg

Slamrod 02-19-2019 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by blkmax1 (Post 9195599)
Now I want to get this right. My wideband sensor stays like this at all times

dead sensor, make sure your unit is wired in correctly before you replace it or else youll burn that one out too

blkmax1 02-19-2019 09:46 AM

Im looking to upgrade injectors and maybe a 4" intake etc. Is it worth it? Also what can I do to get more power out the set-up? Bolt ons I know of are:

Cattman headers &3"exhaust system
Some kind of street tune
Cold air Intake
Stage 2 Competition Clutch just installed
The car has an Hks twin power ignition amplifier but it isn't connected. Will post pic soon... Next setup will be a Jwt or Fidanza flywheel. As I see more that it has as far as performance wise I'll keep posted... Thanks for all advice but I'm looking thru other post and work that other memebers have done

blkmax1 02-19-2019 09:48 AM

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/maxima....2efca21f05.jpg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/maxima....793408ad61.jpg
Will start cleaning all rust etc and painting the engine area

Slamrod 02-19-2019 11:54 AM

4'' intake + injectors is a very involved mod, not in terms of installing but in terms of needing tuning. You need a professional tune for that, if you need to ask then you cant do it yourself. im actually working on some tuning pricing right now for my own setup so keep an eye out for a thread in the near future.

As for that HKS thing, its totally useless. It has zero use for any potential setup you might do. Apparently they go for like $600 new, so go ahead and rip it out and sell it on ebay, youll get some nice money to pay for real mods lol. You pretty much listed most of the mods you can do for a NA setup. You just need to use the search bar and research what goes into running a setup like that.

blkmax1 02-19-2019 12:04 PM

Just ordered all the Es polyurethane bushings i can find for my Maxima. Looking to get everything firm, also moog inner and outer tie rod ends. Is there anyway i can check the coilovers to see if they need replacing

blkmax1 02-19-2019 12:07 PM

Good info but I still will take it out and keep it if I need it for my 87 GN Turbo. I'll start looking for shops where I can get it tuned