Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003-7/)
-   -   Key losing programming? aniti theft or tansponder problems? (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003/703667-key-losing-programming-aniti-theft-tansponder-problems.html)

Mickey1268 02-14-2019 10:23 AM

Key losing programming? aniti theft or tansponder problems?

2000 nissan maxima key wouldnt turn and steering wouldnt unlock, got new ignition had keys programmed works one time then had programmed again then wouldnt work, so just had one key done. It worked once then like other times its back to a no start. Key is turning with new ignition and steering unlocks. Any ideas?

Sorry about typos in the header..apparently its hard to type when holding a sick fur baby

Slamrod 02-14-2019 12:32 PM

sounds like an ignition cylinder issue. the programming with the chip has nothing to do with the key turning - a key that is not programmed will still turn the cylinder, and the motor will still crank - it just wont allow the fuel pump to get power or the car to start. Try just simply jiggling the key around, I have this issue once in a blue moon on my car (key wont turn + steering stuck locked) and this typically fixes it. Idk why you would still have the issue if you replaced the cylinder though, maybe the replacement is defective?

All i can really do for you is say that its not the anti theft if the key turning/steering is the issue youre having.

Mickey1268 02-14-2019 01:14 PM

I dont have issues with the steering wheel or key not turning since I changed out the ignition switch and cylinder. The issues im having is that I keep having to have my keys reprogrammed. They work once then need programmed again. Any idea why? Is it the immobilizer, anti theft or computer gone bad? If I dont get it fixed even a temporary solution I will lose my job ..utilities... home etc

Slamrod 02-14-2019 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mickey1268 (Post 9195213)
I dont have issues with the steering wheel or key not turning since I changed out the ignition switch and cylinder. The issues im having is that I keep having to have my keys reprogrammed. They work once then need programmed again. Any idea why? Is it the immobilizer, anti theft or computer gone bad? If I dont get it fixed even a temporary solution I will lose my job ..utilities... home etc

i never heard of such a thing. What happens exactly when they lose programming? Like does it still crank, not crank at all, etc? How are you programming the keys?

DennisMik 02-14-2019 04:25 PM

It is a strange problem.

When you had the key cylinder replaced,maybe the antenna module for the chip in the key was somehow messed with. Maybe the wires were disconnected and not fully locked in. Maybe the antenna module is loose and can move out of range.

Child_uv_KoRn 02-14-2019 07:26 PM

Sounds like failing immobilizer.

Mickey1268 02-27-2019 10:06 AM

The whole ignition was replaced. The immobilizer was just moved over to the side. I will check the wiring, thanks

Mickey1268 02-27-2019 10:06 AM

ok thanks...I was hoping it was that not the computer

Mickey1268 02-27-2019 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn (Post 9195253)
Sounds like failing immobilizer.

Today when I was checking the wiring and plugs I did notice when I had the key turned on the security light was solid, but when turned off it blinked. I remeber reading that means the keys need to be reprogrammed. So since I had them programmed, drove the car home from where it sat for 3 days in a business parking lot and then the keys not working as soon as I got home that it should be the Immobilizer? This is so frustrating

Child_uv_KoRn 02-28-2019 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Mickey1268 (Post 9196304)
Today when I was checking the wiring and plugs I did notice when I had the key turned on the security light was solid, but when turned off it blinked. I remeber reading that means the keys need to be reprogrammed. So since I had them programmed, drove the car home from where it sat for 3 days in a business parking lot and then the keys not working as soon as I got home that it should be the Immobilizer? This is so frustrating

Idk for sure, but the immo failing is common enough on here that I've seen the threads multiple times. I'd also think that if the chip in the ECU was bad, then it wouldn't program or work at all. Whereas, the immos have a reputation of losing the programming.

You can program keys yourself with NDS2 and cheapo KKL cable. PIN is 5523. It's very easy to do. Windows even installs the driver, now.

Mickey1268 03-07-2019 12:22 PM

OK so I replaced the immobilizer and still not keeping the programming. Security light staying on.. I talked to a mechanic shop they said call the foreign specialty shop. I explained to them the issue and had the car towed over there, They are idiots they just tried programming the keys too. I already told them it didnt work, the guy said I didnt tell them..anyways..said what I replaced wasnt the immobilizer (although my receipt said it was and the box the part came in as well) The motor blew up in my other car, I have no ride, I cant keep having it towed everywhere and certainly cant afford to have nissan fix it by what they were saying. Any other ideas?

Mickey1268 03-07-2019 12:46 PM

let me add the security light stays on even when being programmed after programmed etc...only time it blinks is if the key is out of the ignition.

Costee 03-07-2019 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mickey1268 (Post 9197015)
let me add the security light stays on even when being programmed after programmed etc...only time it blinks is if the key is out of the ignition.

Have the car scanned and post the codes. What was the part number of the immobilizer you bought?

almostblue 11-23-2020 10:04 AM

woops sorry