5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Enthusiast or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 10:31 AM

Enthusiast or Not?

Hey guys and gals, I hope all are well in Maxeyland. A few weeks ago, somebody brought up what it means, in their mind, to be a true enthusiast.

The way I understand it is this: a true enthusiast is the person who buys a Maxima with eyes wide open - knowing all it strengths and weaknesses - and plans to keep that car for a very long time. An enthusiast is not necessarily the person looking for a cheap car to take to the track and beat it to hell. Nor is it the person looking for a reliable daily driver who plans to do no maintenance on the car, but rather drive it into the ground and then move on. Of course the Maxima can handle either of these scenarios just fine - what they have in common is the 'drive it into the ground and move on' mentality.

The enthusiast is the person totally committed to investing the time, money, energy, blood sweat and tears into keeping the car in tip-top shape, regardless of how it's being used, for the next 20 years. Also - don't confuse 'top-shape' with performing upgrades - those don't count. Adding coil-overs is not the same thing as changing the oil every 3-5k miles and replacing all the random craps that break along the way. There's nothing wrong with adding coilovers, but doing that and neglecting basic maintenance does not make you an enthusiast. The essence of the argument is this: if you have a well-running, good condition Max after 20 years, you are an enthusiast.

I don't remember the name of the person who posited this theory, and I may still be getting it wrong. I had to ask several questions before I could understand what they were getting at. Please correct me if I've gotten this totally wrong!

I do realize that this is an extremely narrow definition of the concept, but it does present an interesting way to think about the ownership of these cars; and it brings me to a question for you all:

Based on the above definition of an enthusiast, would you consider yourself to be one or not?
Old 03-19-2019, 12:21 PM

YoungMike85, I never did and still don't consider myself to be an "enthusiast" as per the definition you used. Although, I do tend to take much better care of my cars than say my close friends. Example, I had a black 4th Gen 97 Maxima SE, 5 speed with cloth interior. I kept that car in great shape and even went so far as to install the components to make the "low fluid" washer light illuminate when the fluid was low. I upgraded the radio to a double din from a 2007 350Z and then continually looked for ways to keep the car modern.

Jump ahead to my 2010 Maxima, SV, I still maintain it like it's a new car, even at 150k plus miles I'm confident that I can get in that car and drive it across country without any issues whatsoever. As per your definition, I read about and became familiar with the inherent issues the Maxima presented and decided I could deal with them. I kept my 97 Maxima for nine yrs then I sold it to a friend, I still have my 2010 Maxima and I plan on keeping it until it dies or I may give it to one of my brothers kids who are about to head off to college. It still is a highly dependable car for a 19 year old. That will probably be in the year 2025 or so.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

If youre regularly browsing a forum specifically for a car thats almost two decades old, youre an enthusiast.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:58 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by Slamrod
If youre regularly browsing a forum specifically for a car thats almost two decades old, youre an enthusiast.
Not necessarily,people even spend a year on this site and post. They might need a fix for this and that.Then the'll be gone.

Also i wouldn't say. It is not someone who just found a used car,and when they find something better ,the'll move on. Doesn't matter the car,they stick with it through thick and thin.

Because they like something about it.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:24 PM

Originally, I thought I was an enthusiast. Because I loved the body style of the 5th gen more than any other, and I spent a good amount of time looking for mine.

I thought I was an enthusiast after doing an extensive renovation of the interior.

But, I think I was probably fooling myself. Yes, I do love the body style - but not enough to endure the cascade of issues that comes with owning an already 16 year old car for another 20 years (or even 5 years). Because the truth is, I did the interior reno because what I really wanted was a modern interior. And after doing all that work, I was so close to being on top of the world - and very close to spending even more money on it. However, the passenger window randomly stopped working, and the power locks also stopped working. Seems like a small thing, but I'm at my wits end trying to fix it and I've just given up. I'm so tired of screwing with it.

Especially because what I want is a modern car, with modern features - that work. So, as much as I love the style of this car, I'm not an enthusiast. I'm shopping for a new car as we speak, and it's not going to be a Maxima. I won't sell mine - for the simple fact it's not worth it. Might bring 1k on a trade, a bit more private sale. It's worth more to keep as a backup ride.

Just wanted to vent a bit, as it is kinda sad to admit this to myself. But also glad I didn't sink more money into the car before admitting this.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:07 AM

sad to hear that you are that fed up with the window and locks that it turned into moving on, you went above and beyond many people on your interior overhaul, i hope u can keep that passion alive w fixing the window. i know how u feel, but with that effort you gave to the interior, you can put just a little bit of that into the 16 yr maintence and renovation of the thing to be "back on top of the world" as you put it.

what modern features are you looking for besides the audio electronics you completely overhauled to your taste? you got this far, i don't see why you cant go a little further to be more than content.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:32 AM

I think by 'modern features' what I mean is 'features that don't randomly break'. Which can happen to any car at any age, but is probably more likely to happen to a car at 16 years old than a car at 2 years old.

I'm not a mechanic by training. Nor an electrician. Or computer scientist. Or HVAC technician. There is only so much you can learn about a subject using the 'Top-down, hands-on' approach. At a certain level, many of the problems with a newer car will require a fundamental understanding of mechanical, electrical and computer systems in order to properly diagnose and fix. This results in a very steep learning curve.

The time spent fixing a power window could be as simple as swapping a switch, and if it was that easy, I'd be done and have moved on. However, if you've exhausted nearly all the 'easy' fixes (like I have) and you're now faced with having to learn nearly every single function and connection of every relay, fuse, plug and pin between the battery and the switch - it's a daunting task. I'm not interesting in spending weeks learning about the electrical systems in this car just to fix a stupid window.

I bought this car thinking I'd have a fun project car, and doing projects on the car is what made me an "enthusiast". I've even changed my mind on that!

If I ever bought another 'project car', I'd choose to restore a car built in the 1950's rather than a car built in the 2000's. Even though parts may be harder to find for the nearly 70 year old car, I believe it would still be way simpler to restore - mostly because there are less parts. And parts that can't be found could likely be fabricated. Wiring is much easier. And computers were non-existent, which makes a rebuild super easy. Of course, you'd have literally no modern features...but would have a very simple project.

But, thanks for your encouraging words. Maybe I just needed to vent, and be told to suck it up...lol
Old 03-20-2019, 05:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by YoungMike85
I think by 'modern features' what I mean is 'features that don't randomly break'. Which can happen to any car at any age, but is probably more likely to happen to a car at 16 years old than a car at 2 years old.

I'm not a mechanic by training. Nor an electrician. Or computer scientist. Or HVAC technician. There is only so much you can learn about a subject using the 'Top-down, hands-on' approach. At a certain level, many of the problems with a newer car will require a fundamental understanding of mechanical, electrical and computer systems in order to properly diagnose and fix. This results in a very steep learning curve.

The time spent fixing a power window could be as simple as swapping a switch, and if it was that easy, I'd be done and have moved on. However, if you've exhausted nearly all the 'easy' fixes (like I have) and you're now faced with having to learn nearly every single function and connection of every relay, fuse, plug and pin between the battery and the switch - it's a daunting task. I'm not interesting in spending weeks learning about the electrical systems in this car just to fix a stupid window.

I bought this car thinking I'd have a fun project car, and doing projects on the car is what made me an "enthusiast". I've even changed my mind on that!

If I ever bought another 'project car', I'd choose to restore a car built in the 1950's rather than a car built in the 2000's. Even though parts may be harder to find for the nearly 70 year old car, I believe it would still be way simpler to restore - mostly because there are less parts. And parts that can't be found could likely be fabricated. Wiring is much easier. And computers were non-existent, which makes a rebuild super easy. Of course, you'd have literally no modern features...but would have a very simple project.

But, thanks for your encouraging words. Maybe I just needed to vent, and be told to suck it up...lol
I 10000000% agree with everything youre saying. I remember being so f'ing mad at my first maxima over bs problems that I was literally going to throw a brick through the windshield and send it to the crusher out of pure spite. That being said, here I am, two more maximas and the better half of a decade later. It definitely can be absolutely infuriating to work on these cars sometimes. It isnt all bad though. Once you get over that hump and actually figure out what a problem is and solve it, you will feel like a million bucks and you wont even be able to contemplate wanting to get rid of the car. That being said, im not saying not to. It is a commitment to some extent in the sense that you will absolutely have issues in the future. The thing is - you are the one who is choosing to fix them rather than going to a mechanic. Thats an awesome thing and a curse in itself. With a new car its very unlikely you will have issues, at least not for a while. But when you do, you almost definitely will need to bring it to a shop.

tldr; it all boils down to how willing you are to play driveway mechanic. Experience had+skills learned+money saved VS. less hair pulling + money spent.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:53 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by YoungMike85

It is harder to work on the new cars.

But if you have to have the car for your life then i understand. If you restored a 1950's car would you use it as a daily driver? A daily driver is a really hard car to have as a project car.

My project car was destroyed in an accident,took the winds out of my sales,for years.Car in signature ,destroyed now.1996 5 peed .If i had it now it would be 22 years i had it. I started this maxima love with a newer car. Not something on it's last leg.

Had it for 10 years ,put a lot of time in it. Didn't use it as a daily driver,but one day i let my mother use my daily driver. So i had to use it to go to work,that's when someone hit me and totaled it.

That's why i say if you really love a car,it can't be a daily driver. The wear and tear ,tests your loyalty with the realities of life.
I love these cars also because there cheapest cars i have ever driven. And are very sporty,for sedans.

Last edited by krismax; 03-20-2019 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by krismax
Car in signature ,destroyed now..

LOL, sorry but I can't imagine why?
You got clipped?

I just got the 0442, getting a new education!

Last edited by J P D; 03-20-2019 at 06:28 PM.