Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003-7/)
-   -   Bought a Genesis G70, time to move on (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003/704191-bought-genesis-g70-time-move.html)

Kevin Trout 04-14-2019 07:52 PM

Bought a Genesis G70, time to move on

Earlier this week I picked up a dealer demo/salesman driven Genesis G70 3.3T Sport AWD. It is a pretty amazing car, and all the more amazing is considering that it only costed about $10000 more than what I bought my 2003 Maxima SE for almost 17 years ago. The new ride is a real beast, and the handling and braking are superb as well.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/maxima....a0bfaf7b4b.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/maxima....d51ccd4986.jpg

As such it's time to move on from my 2003 Maxima. Who knows how long this thing will take to sell, given that it suffers from quite a bit of rust, particular at the rear wheel wells. Not to mention that it's very heavily modified from stock. Here is a list of everything I've done to it over the years, most of which falls in the last 10 years since I had my own garage to wrench on stuff.

Performance:
OBX stainless Headers and y-pipe
Cattman 3” stainless steel exhaust
NWP Performance; big throttle body, phenolic intake+throttle body spacers, block off plate
Frankencar intake with velocity stack and washable AEM dryflow filter
Custom tuned ecu
Sprint booster throttle enhancer
Grounding Kits (Big 3+other)
Mishimoto Catch Can
AEM wideband O2 sensor

Suspension/Chassis:
Tokico Illumina adjustable struts
H&R lowering springs
Subframe Connectors
Subframe Collars
Polyurethane Bushings in; lower+upper motor mounts, transmission mount, front sway bar, rear trailing arm
Lower Tie Bar II
Adjustable link for rear beam
Addco rear sway bar
NWP Performance engine torque link bracing kit
Upgraded phenolic steering column bushing (more precise than stock rubber bushing)
Ebay front strut tower bar, Stillen rear strut tower bar

Brakes:
Performance brake pads all around
Stainless steel brake lines
Wilwood Big Brake kit in front, 4 piston, 2 piece slotted rotor (lightweight)
Fastbrakes rear rotor upgrade (larger rotors, drilled and slotted)

Transmission/Shifter:
2004 6 Speed Transmission with LSD
Watkins 2 piece short throw shifter kit
Energy Suspension Polyurethane shifter bushing kit
Shortened shift lever
Redline Mt-80 synthetic transmission fluid

Appearance:
Clear side marker light covers
Nappa leather armrest cover and shift boot cover
Upgraded interior LED lighting

Sound System:
Pioneer DEH-80PRS Head Unit
Hertz HSK 165 component speakers
Dual Hertz 12 inch subwoofers in ported box
Polk Audio 4 channel amp for components
Phoenix Gold amp for subwoofers
Stinger stiffening capacitor

Wheels/Tires
18 inch Enkei PF-01 rims (lightweight aluminum) with continental DWS06 ultra high performance all season tires
OEM nissan 17 inch rims with Michelin X-ICE 3 winter tires, includes Ichiba bolt on wheel spacers to clear Wilwood big brake kit

Convenience:
Remote starter/alarm system combination

freezer 04-14-2019 08:59 PM

Lurking for a part-out :p

Kevin Trout 04-14-2019 09:03 PM

Lol I'm not surprised. There is almost zero chance I'll part this car out. I'm located in Canada, and cost to ship to US where most potential buyers would reside is pretty crazy. Plus I would hate to tie up my garage for months or years until all of the valuable parts had finally sold.

freezer 04-14-2019 09:19 PM

Congrats on the new ride. I just got into my max 2 years ago and it became my way too expensive project car. I'm still enjoying it but having sunk the cash in it I can't even think about letting it go.

Did you post your Max for sale already? I took a peek on Kijiji but didn't see anything like you're describing. I want your BBK and have everything you need to go back to stock!

Kevin Trout 04-14-2019 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by freezer (Post 9199905)
Congrats on the new ride. I just got into my max 2 years ago and it became my way too expensive project car. I'm still enjoying it but having sunk the cash in it I can't even think about letting it go.

Did you post your Max for sale already? I took a peek on Kijiji but didn't see anything like you're describing. I want your BBK and have everything you need to go back to stock!

I haven't gotten it posted up for sale yet. I want to clean up the car inside and out before I get it listed for sale, I'll probably get it up for sale within the next week or two.

I actually have the stock brakes still in storage at my house, so I can go back to stock already if I were inclined. I'm going to try to sell the car as a complete package and see where that goes. Speaking of which you should totally buy the whole car, combine the best of both (if your body is in great shape) and combine the best of both!

MadMax07SL 04-15-2019 05:11 AM

The best looking color of that car, hands down. It'll out perform the Stinger and quite a few BMW's without even trying hard!

What price did you get it for? I'm seeing asking prices for the 3.3 range anywhere from about 46-53k...

Kevin Trout 04-15-2019 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL (Post 9199918)
The best looking color of that car, hands down. It'll out perform the Stinger and quite a few BMW's without even trying hard!

What price did you get it for? I'm seeing asking prices for the 3.3 range anywhere from about 46-53k...

I got the car reduced down to $51000, then added on cilajet paint protection and a set of 18 inch OEM rims with Pirelli Sottozero 3 winter tires for a total of $55000. I wasn't going to add paint protection, but it turned out the car has a crack in the windshield, and a new one costs $1700. The cilajet package includes two full windshield replacements, so it just about pays for itself with a single windshield replacement.

The car already had window tint, all weather floormats, and a lifetime llumar film on the front facing areas of the car, so I saved about $10000 compared to a brand new similarly equipped car.

flames101sully 04-15-2019 10:14 AM

Looks like an excellent car. What's behind the grille?

Kevin Trout 04-15-2019 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by flames101sully (Post 9199931)
Looks like an excellent car. What's behind the grille?

In front of the grille there is a radar type sensor. It is used for adaptive cruise control, collision avoidance, etc.

Child_uv_KoRn 04-15-2019 01:11 PM

Idiots still won't make a Q50 with a manual and they're losing sales.

Kevin Trout 04-15-2019 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn (Post 9199939)
Idiots still won't make a Q50 with a manual and they're losing sales.

That certainly wasn't the case with me. After 20 years of rowing gears I was ready to move onto an automatic with paddle shifters.

Child_uv_KoRn 04-15-2019 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Trout (Post 9199946)
That certainly wasn't the case with me. After 20 years of rowing gears I was ready to move onto an automatic with paddle shifters.

:ban2:

Kevin Trout 04-15-2019 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn (Post 9199953)
:ban2:

I'm more of an old spice antiperspirant kind of guy personally. :gapteeth:

It's actually been nice oddly enough just to be able to drive without worrying about shifting. But when I do decide to have some fun the shifts with the paddle shifters are very fast. Quickly dropping several gears leading into a corner and mashing the gas on exit leaves me with the biggest grin imaginable on my face. With modern automatics being faster than manual transmissions, and this transmission being an 8 speed, not to mention that my wife will finally be able to drive my car if we take it for road trips, the decision to go automatic was pretty easy.

I took the maxima to the car wash today, and it was nice to get behind the wheel again after driving the G70 exclusively for several days. There are still things I prefer with the good old maxima, like the lighter feeling of the accelerator pedal, the seating position feels better as does outward visibility. But the driving dynamics of the G70 are so amazing (ridiculous amounts of grip and torque) that I'll be able to move on quickly once the maxima sells.

stockacura 04-18-2019 03:48 PM

Moved on as well but got new 2018 c43 past fall and still have 03 max that was bought brand new that have 68k kms using for winter beater.

The max is showing it's age even with low kms and been on more on ORG lately looking on dyi how-to fixing various things that are "rusted and falling apart" instead of breaking down from wear and tear.

Kevin Trout 04-18-2019 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by stockacura (Post 9200159)
Moved on as well but got new 2018 c43 past fall and still have 03 max that was bought brand new that have 68k kms using for winter beater.

The max is showing it's age even with low kms and been on more on ORG lately looking on dyi how-to fixing various things that are "rusted and falling apart" instead of breaking down from wear and tear.

Wow that's incredibly low mileage for the age. I thought my 03 with 160000 was a low use car!

If I wasn't worried about long term cost of ownership I absolutely would have bought an AMG C43, those cars look amazing.

Kevin Trout 05-15-2019 09:15 AM

The old girl cleaned up surprisingly well. I spent several hours claying the car all over first. It took awhile to remove some old road tar on the drivers side doors. I followed that with Meguiars ultimate compound polish, then Klasse all in one, finally followed by 2 coats of Klasse sealant.

I detailed the interior with Meguiars quik interior detailer as well.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/maxima....52a81c3c29.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/maxima....394960bccb.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/maxima....ee2c22104d.jpg

Prophecy99 05-15-2019 11:55 AM

nice man, all the mods you have done have been grade A and sad to see you have to let it go. there are mods on your car that are barely around any more, if at all.. are u going to post a FS thread ?

Kevin Trout 05-15-2019 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Prophecy99 (Post 9201952)
nice man, all the mods you have done have been grade A and sad to see you have to let it go. there are mods on your car that are barely around any more, if at all.. are u going to post a FS thread ?

I've placed ads on Kijiji and Facebook locally. I threw up a for sale sign in the back window and someone from my community noticed and is coming to check it out tonight. If I make a quick sale the prudent thing to do would be to pay down my credit card debt, but it's awfully tempting to pick up a piggback tuner and intake for the G70. :jump:

User1 05-15-2019 07:58 PM

Clean ride. Your console lid looks nice, is that stock? If not, any links?

Kevin Trout 05-15-2019 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by User1 (Post 9201999)
Clean ride. Your console lid looks nice, is that stock? If not, any links?

I purchased the arm rest cover and shift boot cover from redlinegoods.com.

User1 05-15-2019 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Trout (Post 9202017)
I purchased the arm rest cover and shift boot cover from redlinegoods.com.

Awesome, thanks!

MadMax07SL 05-16-2019 07:16 AM

How's the G70 treating you? How has the MPG's been in it, I know that's a dumb question on a performance car with twin turbo, but I know the competition to it boast better MPG's. Would be nice to know it does better then it's rated

Kevin Trout 05-16-2019 08:29 AM

The G70 has been awesome. There is a crazy amount of power and seemingly unlimited amounts of grip with the summer tires. I had a chance to try it out with my winter setup in a crazy spring blizzard and it performed admirably as well. Fuel mileage is actually better than I get in my maxima, in the 23-25 MPG range so far. Most of my driving is highway/freeway travel, so that certainly helps out.

MadMax07SL 05-16-2019 09:43 AM

Yeah, I bent that AWD makes that thing a monster with agility. I'd imagine if it was one of the RWD's it would likely be all over the road when you're stomping on it...I was at a dealership looking for a car for my son and they had that exact one you're driving there, pretty sure it was AWD too...it took everything I had to avoid asking for a test drive...

Kevin Trout 05-16-2019 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL (Post 9202045)
Yeah, I bent that AWD makes that thing a monster with agility. I'd imagine if it was one of the RWD's it would likely be all over the road when you're stomping on it...I was at a dealership looking for a car for my son and they had that exact one you're driving there, pretty sure it was AWD too...it took everything I had to avoid asking for a test drive...

I wasn't going to buy until towards the end of summer when my wife's car payment was finished, but the chance to get one this much sooner at a nice price reduction was too tempting to pass up. The car was pretty much sold before I even sat in it, but as soon as I opened the car up fully for the first time it was a totally done deal. :bowdown:

For those in warmer climates the RWD version is supposed to be super fun. We get some pretty rough winters here, so it makes sense for AWD for this country.

Kevin Trout 05-16-2019 07:42 PM

So after less than a week the car is tentatively sold already. The guy from my neighborhood absolutely loved the car. Unfortunately he doesn't have the necessary cash on hand at the moment. Hopefully he can figure out a loan asap.

User1 05-16-2019 07:50 PM

How many Loonies were you asking for it?

Kevin Trout 05-16-2019 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by User1 (Post 9202094)
How many Loonies were you asking for it?

I asked for 3500 loonies, negotiated to 3000. So like $25 US or so :laugh:

User1 05-16-2019 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Trout (Post 9202095)

Haha nice!

krismax 05-16-2019 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Trout (Post 9202095)

I would have snatched it up but to hard to arrange a car from a different country. it hard as it is from another state.

Kevin Trout 05-17-2019 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by krismax (Post 9202108)
I would have snatched it up but to hard to arrange a car from a different country. it hard as it is from another state.

Not to mention basically the opposite end of the continent.

Donkeypunch 05-17-2019 03:37 PM

dang i thought the can dollar was about the same

3,500 is 2,598 us

Kevin Trout 05-23-2019 12:27 PM

The first guy that wanted to buy the Maxima basically fell off the face of the earth, so I assume he wasn't able to come up with the cash. I have another guy taking the car to be inspected tomorrow. Last night I sat down and came up with an estimated value of all of the mods on the car, and came up with about $16000. I then roughly calculated how much I could sell the easily removed/replaced mod parts for, and came up with almost $4000. That leaves me thinking REALLY hard about cancelling the sale of the car for the time being and returning the car to as stock as possible with what I have available for parts. The thought of doing all of those mod jobs in reverse isn't very appealing, but could lead to several thousand dollars extra in my pocket when it's all said and done. I think if the current buyer falls through, I'll end up doing a performance part out after all.

Prophecy99 05-24-2019 06:05 AM

yea dollar for dollar, you are best doing that but , yea time is money, but your mod list is A+ and the mods you have a valuable and hold thier value here (i understand your in canada, but lets leave that aside). ill closely be watching maybe shipping wont be too bad =)

freezer 05-24-2019 08:53 AM

Interested in the brakes, and I'm in the same province:D

Kevin Trout 05-24-2019 05:12 PM

So the inspection showed some issues that I need to address. There are cracked coil springs front and back, so I will be replacing the H&R springs with the stock SE set that have been sitting in a box for the last 15 years. The bigger concern is there are brake issues all around apparently. The pads and rotors for the front need to be replaced, and there are issues with the rear brakes as well, the calipers are acting up and most likely need to be rebuilt/replaced. It seems I will have to get my hands on some brake parts.

I suppose I'm best off at this point in seeing who would like to purchase any of the mod parts, feel free to send me a PM and we can try to work out a deal on anything people are interested in. The headers are likely staying on the car, I don't think I have the oem cats anymore. For the Cattman exhaust I would need to trade for a different exhaust system, the stock system fell apart years ago so I don't have a replacement available for it.

Kevin Trout 05-25-2019 08:49 PM

Final update in this thread, despite the disappointing to say the least inspection results, the dude just seem to decide that he loved the car enough that he was still willing to pay only $100 less than we originally agreed to. I feel super lucky that I don't need to go through the trouble of fixing up a bunch of stuff, and potentially spending a large amount of money on parts. I don't know what exactly led to the deal being sealed, whether it was me mentioning that a partial performance part-out was about to happen, but it seems that this sale was destined to happen somehow. A really cool note is that after I mentioned that there were only a few bolt on parts still remaining that can be added (4" intake, ssim, injectors) he said that if he wanted to make more power he would end up turbocharging the car. That would be a truly fantastic fate for the old girl.