5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Picked up a 00 i30T gonna fix it up.......

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 04:16 AM
Father of the 00 VI

Picked up a 00 i30T gonna fix it up.......

Ok got this car for $2500 Florida car drove in NY few years. Pic's later.

74K miles ,black interior and sandy kind of color. Just got it yesterday.

Has the IACV code. Hope the ECU is fine.

Question is what ECU's can i use? Can i use a 01 maxima, I30 ecu? With the same options?

And gonna unhook the motor mounts on it. How many are on it ?

Has anyone gotten NDS 2 to work on a 00 maxima or i30?

Last edited by krismax; 04-23-2019 at 05:30 AM.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:41 AM
Father of the 00 VI

Just ordered this stuff from rockauto.

2001 NISSAN MAXIMA 3.0L V6
HITACHIABV0039 Idle Air Control (IAC) Valve $ 112.79

MOOGK90587 Stabilizer Bar Bushing $ 5.21

MOOGK90431 Stabilizer Bar Link $ 13.65

MOOGK90432 Stabilizer Bar Link $ 13.75

ShippingPriority Mail $ 8.89

Tax $ 12.34

Order Total $ 166.63

Old 04-24-2019, 10:00 AM
Banned

So you ordered a $112 part without knowing for sure whether it will fix the problem??
Makes me think immediately back to the post I just made on the auto sound thread....
Old 04-24-2019, 10:24 AM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by chop_sooie
So you ordered a $112 part without knowing for sure whether it will fix the problem??
Makes me think immediately back to the post I just made on the auto sound thread....
It's got the power sunshade didn't even know they made those.

Just push a button and it cover the whole back window. Will be good for my granddaughter.
Old 04-24-2019, 05:47 PM

Being a Florida car I'm guessing it doesn't need as much body work as your previous projects? I think it's cool how you you've made a hobby into fixing up Maxima's & I30's. I have a 2004 I35 and I still love the car after all these years.

There's an I35 sitting in a driveway in Loudonville, I pass by it just about everyday. I can tell it hasn't moved all winter because there was always snow on it & I noticed the other day the tires are flat. I keep wondering what the story is on it & if the owners are looking to get rid of it. I thought a few times of knocking on the door & asking but I just didn't feel comfortable doing that. I don't want to creep anyone out. Now we're in the process of planning an addition on our house so I don't need another project at this time anyway. But over the winter it would have given me something to do. Anyway good luck with the newest project, keep us updated, I enjoy following progress of projects on cars.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by krismax

Just push a button and it cover the whole back window. Will be good for my granddaughter.
Wait, thats a thing? I absolutely love those little knick knacks that are designed for such a specific purpose. The pop up center console arm rest is another example that comes to mind. As for having a granddaughter that is old enough to be driving.. yikes. Where tf did all the time go lol

Wish I could be of actual help though. Nice find. Id imagine any AT ecu should work just fine but dont quote me on that. My spidey senses tell me that for some reason, one of the old salty crusty farts on the 4th gen subforum will somehow have the answer to that question. As for the motor mount, I think its just the one towards the rear on the crossbeam that is electronic.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:27 PM
Banned

Not to hijack the thread (and I realize this is the 5th gen forum) but I do have my eye on this one myself:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...roduct_details

Old 04-25-2019, 01:36 AM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by Dust N Bones
Being a Florida car I'm guessing it doesn't need as much body work as your previous projects? I think it's cool how you you've made a hobby into fixing up Maxima's & I30's. I have a 2004 I35 and I still love the car after all these years.

There's an I35 sitting in a driveway in Loudonville, I pass by it just about everyday. I can tell it hasn't moved all winter because there was always snow on it & I noticed the other day the tires are flat. I keep wondering what the story is on it & if the owners are looking to get rid of it. I thought a few times of knocking on the door & asking but I just didn't feel comfortable doing that. I don't want to creep anyone out. Now we're in the process of planning an addition on our house so I don't need another project at this time anyway. But over the winter it would have given me something to do. Anyway good luck with the newest project, keep us updated, I enjoy following progress of projects on cars.
Wife will drive it she didn't like the MAX,to loud but when i fix the exhaust ,that will solve that. I30 is for her,she likes it a lot. It has black leather and has every option a 00 I30 touring can have. It even has a CD changer in the trunk.
We want a summer fun car,so we can cruze around.She we need two winter cars. So we will prob get a 370Z or Infiniti coupe.

As for that I35 ,i may go looking for it But as for me no more rusty cars. Body has no rust. But it's strange the rad support has some rust? Maybe people from the south can tell me if the cars down there have a little rust on them?

But it has all the service records from Infiniti,This old woman went in for every sound she heard. 2015-16 she only had like 40k miles. Bought it from a girl who just treated it like a beater,drove back and forth to Newburg everyday.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:44 AM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by Slamrod
Wait, thats a thing? I absolutely love those little knick knacks that are designed for such a specific purpose. The pop up center console arm rest is another example that comes to mind. As for having a granddaughter that is old enough to be driving.. yikes. Where tf did all the time go lol

Wish I could be of actual help though. Nice find. Id imagine any AT ecu should work just fine but dont quote me on that. My spidey senses tell me that for some reason, one of the old salty crusty farts on the 4th gen subforum will somehow have the answer to that question. As for the motor mount, I think its just the one towards the rear on the crossbeam that is electronic.
Yeah when i was sitting in the car ,i wondered what a button did. It's by the heated seat switches ,flicked it and to my surprise the screen went up.

This woman who owned it first kept every record and service,she only went to the Infiniti dealer.

I post a picture of the window sticker. It even says the body panels are laser etched Dura steel,i know Dura steel is very hard steel.

Unfortunately the 00-01 have IACV,Motor mounts and ECU issues. That's why she was selling it,and didn't want to deal with it.
Old 04-25-2019, 06:09 AM
Banned

Yeah when i was sitting in the car ,i wondered what a button did. It's by the heated seat switches ,flicked it and to my surprise the screen went up.

This woman who owned it first kept every record and service,she only went to the Infiniti dealer.

I post a picture of the window sticker. It even says the body panels are laser etched Dura steel,i know Dura steel is very hard steel.

Unfortunately the 00-01 have IACV,Motor mounts and ECU issues. That's why she was selling it,and didn't want to deal with it.
All the Infinitis I have ever seen had that rear sunshade screen. Kind of a neat item but I'd trade it for the heated seats which the 02 Infiniti I-35 I had for a VERY short time (terrible suspension issues) did not have.

What is an IACV motor mount?? Is this the hydraulic-actuated mount same as in the Maximas?
Old 04-25-2019, 08:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by chop_sooie
All the Infinitis I have ever seen had that rear sunshade screen. Kind of a neat item but I'd trade it for the heated seats which the 02 Infiniti I-35 I had for a VERY short time (terrible suspension issues) did not have.

What is an IACV motor mount?? Is this the hydraulic-actuated mount same as in the Maximas?
Two separate things (and problems). IACV is known to have a moisture related failure that causes a short inside of the ECU. The electronic motor mount is unrelated except for the fact that it also can fail and short out the ECU. IACV is an issue for any maxima/infiniti with the vq30dek motor, the motor mount is an issue for any maxima/infiniti with an automatic trans.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Slamrod
IACV is an issue for any maxima/infiniti with the vq30dek motor, the motor mount is an issue for any maxima/infiniti with an automatic trans.
Hmm well my car is an 02 Maxima with the VQ35DE engine not the 3.0. Like I said it's very random when that code decides to fire usually about 3-4 week intervals. I already replaced the worn and torn front hydraulic mount on this car with a (I assume) non-hydraulic mount, the new one still had the wires coming off of it but the mount was only like $40 off of amazon (It was a Febest) so I assume it's a cheaper non-hydraulic mount and the wire harness on it is only there to complete the circuit to the ECU so it doesn't trigger a code, but I could be wrong.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:52 AM
Banned

EDIT- sorry I am thinking of something else, it wasn't the IACV code it was for the VIAS. (Been a while since that code came on.)

Carry on....
Old 04-25-2019, 02:37 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Got these from JEGS last year $187 shipped. Gonna put these on this car. It's heavier than the max and it's an auto.

From a 07-08 maxima.

Hope they clear the rims

https://www.jegs.com/i/Power-Stop/419/KCOE116/10002/-1

Old 04-25-2019, 02:55 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Car has alternator replace by Infiniti,2 years ago. New tires,new starter new battery. So that's a good start body is in nice shape.
Little bit of rust in some places brackets and stuff like that underneath.

Car is up on blocks on all 4 corners . I'am going to cavity wax plus the whole unibody. And door like i did in my other build thread.Then treat the underneath with some rust inhibitor.

And even though i don't have to i am going to replace the Rad support. It has minor surface rust as you see after i get it striped down.But this car must last 8-10 years.
I got a free rad support ,Nissan one and a rear lateral link free Nissan with bolts.I am gonna use them. And do my special stuff to them.

Also replace a few inside plastic pieces ,because this last woman smoked and coated them with tar. Then she must have cleaned them with gas and brillo pads

This project i would like to have finished in around a month.

Old 04-25-2019, 02:58 PM
Father of the 00 VI

What"s weird is the window sticker says heated mirrors, But there are no switches or such to turn them on or off.

No way to tell.

I bet quite a bit of maxima's have them but people don't know.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:46 PM

Look in the fuse panel. If the fuse is there it's got t them. They turn on with the rear defog.
Old 04-25-2019, 06:42 PM

As for that I35 ,i may go looking for it But as for me no more rusty cars. Body has no rust. But it's strange the rad support has some rust? Maybe people from the south can tell me if the cars down there have a little rust on them?
I could send you a PM with the location of that car if you really had interest. Honestly though I have no idea what the story is on it. I just happen to pass by that house every day & all winter I've been wondering why it hasn't moved. I'm always nervous about invading peoples privacy so I never stopped.

But as for me no more rusty cars. Body has no rust. But it's strange the rad support has some rust? Maybe people from the south can tell me if the cars down there have a little rust on them?
I think those rad supports were so weak & flawed that even in southern climates they rusted out.
Old 04-25-2019, 06:45 PM

What"s weird is the window sticker says heated mirrors, But there are no switches or such to turn them on or off.
On any car I've ever seen with heated mirrors they come on with the rear defrost switch.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:57 AM

Question is what ECU's can i use? Can i use a 01 maxima, I30 ecu? With the same options?
Any DE-K ECU should be fine. I would be mindful of your cars equipment ie Swirl Valves and EGR. You'll need to have the keys reprogrammed.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:41 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
Any DE-K ECU should be fine. I would be mindful of your cars equipment ie Swirl Valves and EGR. You'll need to have the keys reprogrammed.
2001 doesn't use EGR, which is why it's nice to toss 2000 ecu.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:01 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
2001 doesn't use EGR, which is why it's nice to toss 2000 ecu.
But I haven't met anyone to get the NDS 2 to work on the 00 ECU ? Is all the wiring the same?Maybe it will work if i use a 01 ECU?

What's different about automatic ECU's,maxima's and I30's ...traction control?
Old 04-27-2019, 08:53 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Nice car, a friend had one very similar. Last year one popped up for sale, not far away. It was low miles and hadn't seen winter. The wife didn't like it, she thought it looked like a granny car.

You'll love those brakes. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.
Old 04-27-2019, 12:01 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by JSutter
Nice car, a friend had one very similar. Last year one popped up for sale, not far away. It was low miles and hadn't seen winter. The wife didn't like it, she thought it looked like a granny car.

You'll love those brakes. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.
Thanks... it does look like a granny car. But my wife likes her money more than cars. Gonna sell the sentra.

And she is driving the i30. She wants a summer car,so she has to sacrifice for the winter.

Here's the stuff i ordered. They say the endlinks are for right and left ? I always used them on any side . Didn't know they were different?
Old 04-28-2019, 12:36 AM

oh the rear sun shade is amazing for those that feel the necessity to drive around with their highbeams on
Old 04-28-2019, 10:44 AM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by Gaki
oh the rear sun shade is amazing for those that feel the necessity to drive around with their highbeams on
Wow i didn't think of that. Good idea.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:24 AM
Father of the 00 VI

OK an update. The 7-8 maxima brakes work on the front. With the stock wheels.Maybe a 1/4 inch or more to the caliper and wheel.

And ,i'll tell you people must get on a breaker bar to tighten their lug nuts. Have people ever heard of a torque wrench?Already they had to replace wheel studs,at 74K? Must have went to a small town tire shop in somebodys garage

Old 05-01-2019, 02:43 AM

As far as elec motor mounts....I have a 2000 maxi and there are 2 that I know of and have disconnected. One connection just below the air intake and one closer to front of car.

If there's any more please fill me in.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:20 PM

Nice ride! Those headlights look nice and clear. My lugs get 85 lb ft. You must really like doing core supports!

Edit: I don't think it matters, they don't look different to me and I have that same set sitting on my counter waiting to be installed, but Moog does specify pass & driver side endlinks:

Click "sway bar parts" on left hand column

https://www.moog-suspension-parts.co...an_maxima_2000

Last edited by User1; 05-01-2019 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:26 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Took the restrictor plate out . this tells me the car hasn't been played with.

And these headlights have a lot going on and from underneath too. The fog lights are really different than 5 th gen.Tons of grease in the stepper motor on the IACV . Don't know what people were doing.

Old 05-14-2019, 02:07 PM
Father of the 00 VI

OK these are the two spots where the motor mounts plug in. The rear motor mount had oil leaking all over it.I am assuming they have a type of oil inside.

I cut the plugs off the mounts.

Old 05-14-2019, 06:39 PM

is taking that plate out a modder thing to do?
just asking by the way you talked about it.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:25 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by Donkeypunch
is taking that plate out a modder thing to do?
just asking by the way you talked about it.
It is much smaller than the TB(i'll measure it later). They are on all 00-01. Anything that restricts air flow will lower HP.

I bet Nissan didn't want the HP on the DEK to outshine the 3.5 ,when they released it. HP on the i30 is 227 ,don't know how much it adds removing this? The DEK when released ,they knew the 3.5 would replace it.

Anyways got the new bumper brackets from infiniti dealer on line. About $55 bucks for both brackets and screws.Shipped

Last edited by krismax; 05-15-2019 at 11:29 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:27 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Picked up more marine grade nuts and bolts. I used over 100 on my maxima.

They are the most common nut and bolt on our cars. Still ,10mm head.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-100-16m...72.m2749.l2649
Old 05-15-2019, 11:30 PM

Picked up more marine grade nuts and bolts. I used over 100 on my maxima.

They are the most common nut and bolt on our cars. Still ,10mm head.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-100-16m...72.m2749.l2649
Nice find! Added to my watch list.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:37 AM
Father of the 00 VI

For people who want to know . Heres the bypass. It's a little different on EGR and non EGR cars.

Looks like i have a valve cover leak . Have to fix that later.When i get rid of the butterfly valves.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:49 PM

But I haven't met anyone to get the NDS 2 to work on the 00 ECU ? Is all the wiring the same?Maybe it will work if i use a 01 ECU?

What's different about automatic ECU's,maxima's and I30's ...traction control?
i got a generic obd2 to usb cable that they said they supported on the site and it works with nissan datascan 2 ( I think that's what you're referring to with "NDS 2") This is the cable https://www.dx.com/p/kkl-vag-com-409...1#.XODt_tjkWUl . But if you buy it from there, maybe choose the fastest shipping option, mine took almost 2 months to arrive.

But I haven't been able to test all the functions because i just had the free version to see if it worked. It connected, and i even got some error codes that the obd2 with blutooth didn't pick up.
Old 05-19-2019, 02:49 AM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by flames101sully
i got a generic obd2 to usb cable that they said they supported on the site and it works with nissan datascan 2 ( I think that's what you're referring to with "NDS 2") This is the cable https://www.dx.com/p/kkl-vag-com-409...1#.XODt_tjkWUl . But if you buy it from there, maybe choose the fastest shipping option, mine took almost 2 months to arrive.

But I haven't been able to test all the functions because i just had the free version to see if it worked. It connected, and i even got some error codes that the obd2 with blutooth didn't pick up.
Thanks for the reply ,i have asked many times with people with a 00 and got no answers.

I have the program and cable already. I programmed keys for my 01.

If the ECU is bad i want to replace it,with same year 00. But i wanted to know if it can program keys like the 01. If not i'll try an 01 ECU. (don't know if it will work)

I guess i'll know in a week or two. Replacing rad support now car is apart.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:15 AM
Father of the 00 VI

Took the radiator support off ,first time leaving the condenser.

When i weld i'll have to protect AC components.

Polished the TB.

I think the I30 has more spot welds.
My 01 doesn't have the bars in front of the radiator. I thought they were on newer maxima's.

I guess this is how you tell have heated mirrors

Old 05-22-2019, 07:34 PM

Do you use screen in front of your condenser? Makes life a lot easier when cleaning. You've got it nice and exposed now... You're probably the only guy on planet Earth that loves replacing core supports as much as you do. If I ever need a core support I'm calling you There's not enough Xanax in the world for me to want to do another one of those.

Nice work. The car is in good hands. What's up with those bars? Is that an added safety thing?

Quick Reply: Picked up a 00 i30T gonna fix it up.......