Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003-7/)
-   -   so how's the paint and glass holding up on the 2002s??? (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003/79459-so-hows-paint-glass-holding-up-2002s.html)

serin 03-27-2002 10:55 PM

so how's the paint and glass holding up on the 2002s???

just wondering how these sore spots were holding up on the 2k2s. i hope you guys are faring better than the rest of us. i figure it's been long enough now to know...
besides, if it is an improvement, then i'll give nissan the benefit of the doubt and assume that they're listening to customer concerns.

KTM 03-27-2002 10:59 PM

Re: so how's the paint and glass holding up on the 2002s???

Originally posted by serin
just wondering how these sore spots were holding up on the 2k2s. i hope you guys are faring better than the rest of us. i figure it's been long enough now to know..
500 miles & 2 weeks, very careful to keep good distance behind other cars, never behind big rigs, and have two big chips on the hood, and the plastic headlight covering has about a dozen pock marks in it. So all in all, not good.

emax02 03-27-2002 11:13 PM

Pretty good for me but I have a clear bra :cool: I do however have 2 nicks in my left fender, a sand truk blasted rocks/sand onto me at a combined speed of about 100 MPH, theres not much any kind of paint could do there.

BTW I have 5600 Miles.

KTM 03-27-2002 11:36 PM

Originally posted by emax95
Pretty good for me but I have a clear bra :cool: I do however have 2 nicks in my left fender, a sand truk blasted rocks/sand onto me at a combined speed of about 100 MPH, theres not much any kind of paint could do there.

BTW I have 5600 Miles.

Did you get the covers for the headlights also? or just hood and bumper?

Patrick O'Day 03-28-2002 01:00 AM

Paint chips on my 2002 very easy. I have a dodge Dakota with 5 times the miles and alot of it off road. Not one paint chip on it. The maxima has dozens. Worst paint I have ever seen on a car. When it gets bad enough I'll get a custom paint job.:(

Aggie Jurist 03-28-2002 02:21 AM

Not worth a damn. I have 10.5 k on my Merlot GLE and I have chis EVERYWHERE. Car was hit by a metal sign in a parking lot, so it's getting a new paint job next week. Here's hoping the body shop does a better job than the factory. After paint cures, I'm buying a clear bra dammit!

Trey
02 GLE
Merlot/Tan

mattattax 03-28-2002 05:38 AM

lots of chips here--when I tell someone they say "I don't see but a couple" --I'm wishing I got the clear bra now

soundmike 03-28-2002 06:35 AM

I had a couple of chips in the hood and sides.

However, for some reason the paint doesn't chip as easily now as it did when i first got it.

Btw, i also have a Carflector up front which saved me from a possible glass cracking/breakage when a good sized rock just came flying at me on the highway at around 80mph. I literally saw the rock bounce of the Carflector and whiz by the top of the roof.

NOLA 03-28-2002 06:50 AM

What is this clear bra yall are talking about? Is it one of those spray on things?? What brand is it and how much does that cost??

Thanks

mattattax 03-28-2002 06:51 AM

Originally posted by soundmike
Btw, i also have a Carflector up front
dang, I meant to take a look at it while I was there--my friend really had to go so I didn't have much time anyways--still trying to switch over to the basslink though

soundmike 03-28-2002 07:07 AM

we could prob'ly meet up again sometime? john (jjs) also wants to see the FSTB i got on ebay so perhaps we can all have our mini-meet of sorts.

if i get the day off tomorrow m probably gonna meet up with Jeff (jefferdy1) as well to have our springs installed at hyper racing.

btw, i saw your post on the amps/subs. i might have a buyer, she's not sure yet though.

Originally posted by mattattax

dang, I meant to take a look at it while I was there--my friend really had to go so I didn't have much time anyways--still trying to switch over to the basslink though

GregP 03-28-2002 07:10 AM

1000 miles and not a single chip. Advice to people who live on Long Island is STAY OFF THE L.I.E. and your car will last.

Also it helps to keep a crap car around and drive it in bad weather.

Jaws 03-28-2002 07:13 AM

Originally posted by NOLA
What is this clear bra yall are talking about? Is it one of those spray on things?? What brand is it and how much does that cost??

Thanks

It might mean different things to different people, but usually they are refering to 3M protectant film that is applied to leading hood edge and the front bumper. It is better than a traditional bra in that you never have to remove it to wash the car, it doesn't flutter at high speeds and it looks better. It may not be as effective as a bra; on my previous car a couple of rocks made it right through the film. I'd recommend it.

NOLA 03-28-2002 07:17 AM

Ok thats what I was thinking it was...I have heard of this before but have not seen it. Can you see that it is on the front of that car or is it totaly clear and smooth?? About how much does that cost?

mattattax 03-28-2002 07:22 AM

I forgot to mention that my windsheild has a little crack in it. The crack came from dried up dirt off of a big rig. I was surprised it didn't break more b/c the dirt was about the size of a baseball and I was driving at about 80.

mattattax 03-28-2002 07:26 AM

Originally posted by Jaws

It might mean different things to different people, but usually they are refering to 3M protectant film that is applied to leading hood edge and the front bumper. It is better than a traditional bra in that you never have to remove it to wash the car, it doesn't flutter at high speeds and it looks better. It may not be as effective as a bra; on my previous car a couple of rocks made it right through the film. I'd recommend it.

OT: Do you have a homepage or some pics of your max? I haven't seen many maxes in that color but the ones I have seen looked sweet.

soundmike 03-28-2002 07:26 AM

You won't see it given it's invisible. However if you look *really* closely you'll see the point where the edges are (usually a feet or so from the front of the hood)

Depending on the coverage area it will cost you anywhere from $300 upwards.

I got quoted for:

a) hood (24" coverage)
b) bumper
c) side mirrors
d) front side fenders

$450+tax installed.

They also quoted me a full-body coverage for twice that amount. Crazy idea? Perhaps. But it does make a bit of sense. Cleaning plastic laminate (as i'd call it) is sure easier than waxing/scrubbing and polishing the actual body/paint.

Check out Emax95's ride. I'll bet you a Donating Member status here at the Org if you can visibly see from a good distance where the clear bra is.

Ok thats what I was thinking it was...I have heard of this before but have not seen it. Can you see that it is on the front of that car or is it totaly clear and smooth?? About how much does that cost?

NOLA 03-28-2002 07:30 AM

Ok they have something here in New Orleans that is called "auto teflon" I am guessig that is the same thing as the clear bra over the whole car? So do you have to wax the clear bra as well or it never needs wax and will never wear off??

Thanks for the info :D

MILANO 03-28-2002 08:25 AM

same old ****ty paint

02MaXiMa_GLE 03-28-2002 11:47 AM

I keep a LONG distance between cars & trucks... but still have dem damn chips! Not many, but I only have 4K mi. I'm sure Nissan uses a patented "fengerpainting" technique! Damn A-holes! :mad:

G :cool:

Newman 03-28-2002 12:13 PM

1500 miles and a handful of fairly large chips on the hood. glass is fine.

2K255HP 03-28-2002 12:58 PM

I have the clear bra on my hood mirrors and front bumper
washing the car reveled that i have many paint chips on the rear door opening just above the side skirts up along there probably like 8-10 chips waiting for my touch up paint to come in
other then that no other problems for now :)

Jaws 03-28-2002 03:11 PM

Originally posted by mattattax

OT: Do you have a homepage or some pics of your max? I haven't seen many maxes in that color but the ones I have seen looked sweet.

I just got the car on Tuesday, so nothing yet. Nissan Canada's website shows the colour www.nissan.ca . As soon as I get tint, Eibachs and clear markers I'll post some pics. Take care.

20 MAXIMA 02 03-28-2002 03:39 PM

CHIPS/CRACKS

pushing 5900 miles on my 2k2 and i have a dozen chips on my front bumper, 2 pot marks on my passenger side front head light, 1 crack on my driverside front head light, 1 HUGE 1 cubic centimeter sized chip on my hood ... looked like a rock took a bite outa my paint. I feel nissan uses weak paint and doesnt bake it on the car... also, i feel that the 2k2 headlight plastic is very thin and not dent resistant.. my previous 92 5sp stanza xe didnt have pot mark on its headlights... quality has gone downhill :(

akrus 03-28-2002 03:40 PM

Thanks

I've had the Stoneguard version of the clear bra on my black 2k2 SE for about 4 months and 17,000kms. It's been great having it on the car as the only chips I have now are a couple just above where the protector ends. Check out the following thread:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=80395 for some discussion.

Also goto http://www3.sympatico.ca/akrusvar/StoneGuard/ to see some pics of when it was first installed. The bubbles that you can see under the film are completely gone now. I'll try to get some pics over the weekend to give you an idea of what it's like now.

Another thing about this stuff is that my friend (service manager for Lincoln) has told me that he's seen the stuff peeled off after a couple years by reheating it and carefully pulling it off. All without damaging the paint.

Albert

Audtatious 03-28-2002 09:06 PM

Re: CHIPS/CRACKS

Originally posted by 20 MAXIMA 02
pushing 5900 miles on my 2k2 and i have a dozen chips on my front bumper, 2 pot marks on my passenger side front head light, 1 crack on my driverside front head light, 1 HUGE 1 cubic centimeter sized chip on my hood ... looked like a rock took a bite outa my paint. I feel nissan uses weak paint and doesnt bake it on the car... also, i feel that the 2k2 headlight plastic is very thin and not dent resistant.. my previous 92 5sp stanza xe didnt have pot mark on its headlights... quality has gone downhill :(
3100 miles to date. I have around 10 chips on the hood/fenders and lots of marks on the bumper. No problems with the glass yet. What I have seen of the chips on the hood is that the paint will flake off around the initial impact point, making it a bigger chip than it should have been....er...should NOT have been....

Time to raise the roof with my Nissan dealer. Won't help, but, won't hurt either.

cwerdna 03-28-2002 11:59 PM

got clear bra after a couple chips

I have about 2300 miles now and had quite a few chips on the front of the hood (maybe 7 or 8). I'd say the paint chips real easily... So I got a clear bra installed on the hood, front bumper, and mirrors recently. I haven't noticed anymore now. Glass is fine.

(I don't recall many paint chips on my old car, a 91 Camry V6 w/91.5k miles.)

AznWontonboy 03-29-2002 12:20 AM

:confused: Everyone complain about paint chips.. but on my Icelandic pearl, I dont see many chips.. a few, but not as many as people say. Must be a white thing.

lcf 03-29-2002 07:06 AM

i have the nissan bra on my 2000 se. no chips except one. huge one. right next to the left foglamp. 1" and i wouldve had a shattered lamp.

*whew*

:cool:

rerunn 03-29-2002 07:48 AM

Try a hood deflector

I racked up quite a few hood chips in the first couple months I had the car. I then installed the front hood deflector and it DRASTICALLY improved the chipping on the top of the hood. The only downside is that it seems to have increased the hood flutter a bit at high speeds. Hopefully the new tsb for the hood will fix this.

Of course, this is only good if you like the way the deflector looks -- I do.

mikemmcd 03-29-2002 12:41 PM

I have had my 2K2 GLE grey lustre for 5 months now. I just washed and waxed it today.
Found a few tiny chips mostly on the back bumper and on the wheel wells. She still looks like new
after 5600+ miles

SeOh2mAx 03-29-2002 01:06 PM

Over 12,000 miles on my majestic blue and the hood looks speckled at times so many chips. have one chip on the front right fender, one on the trunk lip from some shmuck hitting it with something and one on the drivers side front door from someone banging into it. looks like sometime this summer I'm going to be painting the hood and getting the clear bra!! as for the rest some touch up paint should do them good once it gets nice for awhile and I got the time!!!

ACMAX1995 04-28-2002 09:51 AM

Originally posted by emax95

BTW I have 5600 Miles.

hOW MUCH DID YOU PAY FOR THE CLEAR BRA - HOOD LIGHTS & BUMPER ? i JUST BOUGHT A 2K2 MAX ..I KNOW THE CLEAR BRA IS THE WAY TO GO

Stereodude 04-28-2002 11:07 AM

Originally posted by Patrick O'Day
Paint chips on my 2002 very easy. I have a dodge Dakota with 5 times the miles and alot of it off road. Not one paint chip on it. The maxima has dozens. Worst paint I have ever seen on a car. When it gets bad enough I'll get a custom paint job.:(
Ditto, my car has more chips/scratches at 3k miles than my Chevy Lumina had at 75k. I figure I'll keep driving it and when it gets bad enough I'll get it repainted correctly.

Stereodude

Mike S. 04-28-2002 12:19 PM

you guys may flame me, but my moms 98 Altima SE (American Built) had virtualy NO PAINT CHIPS after her 3 year lease. It had around 42K when we finsihed with it. AND the hood on the car bent down and was part of the grille. That part of the hood actually pointed down to the ground and would be in direct contact with rocks. NO CHIPS, and yes she drives fast and many many highway trips.