Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003-7/)
-   -   Going to Install suspension??? (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003/89747-going-install-suspension.html)

CIRCO 05-21-2002 11:54 AM

Going to Install suspension???

I was wondering if there is anything else I need to know aside from punkdorks instructions and MichaelAE add on. Where could I buy the bump stop if I don't want to cut it? Tips or any help is appreciated.

theMax 05-21-2002 07:39 PM

haven't seen the sticky in a while but here are some tips

-Have extensions and universal joint for rear springs
-jack up whole front do springs, lower then whole rear. Easier to get springs on and off when both wheels off ground
-have a friend help
-be sure to torque to correct settings

good luck

as for the bumpstops, I do not know of any aftermarket ones. If you want another set of nissan ones to cut, go to a dealer or junkyard. Depending on the drop it may not be necessary. Follow spring manufacturers directions. I didn't cut mine. (maxspeeds on 2001 SE)

CIRCO 05-22-2002 01:43 AM

Originally posted by theMax
haven't seen the sticky in a while but here are some tips

-Have extensions and universal joint for rear springs
-jack up whole front do springs, lower then whole rear. Easier to get springs on and off when both wheels off ground
-have a friend help
-be sure to torque to correct settings

good luck

as for the bumpstops, I do not know of any aftermarket ones. If you want another set of nissan ones to cut, go to a dealer or junkyard. Depending on the drop it may not be necessary. Follow spring manufacturers directions. I didn't cut mine. (maxspeeds on 2001 SE)

Thanks for the tips! I guess I will just trim them like Galo then. I am changing out struts too so I think it don't matter if both wheels are off the ground. I will have the car on stands anyway. When you installed the maxspeed fronts did you compress the spring? Or did you only change the springs so the stock strut is way taller? So there is no need for a compressor? BTW I have three friends helping all more knowledgable than me.

srbarnes4ever 05-22-2002 06:07 AM

Originally posted by CIRCO

Thanks for the tips! I guess I will just trim them like Galo then. I am changing out struts too so I think it don't matter if both wheels are off the ground. I will have the car on stands anyway. When you installed the maxspeed fronts did you compress the spring? Or did you only change the springs so the stock strut is way taller? So there is no need for a compressor? BTW I have three friends helping all more knowledgable than me.

Just did my spring swap with Eibachs and yes you will need a compressor to get everything back together, unless you have Ground Controls which I'm sure are small enough that a compressor is not needed. See page 3 of my web page for latest pics after install! Good luck, I did mine by myself and took about 6 hours total for all 4, the rears took longer than the fronts due to the shi!!y location of the tower nuts in the rear but all in all you shouldn't have much trouble with 3 others helping!