5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Wierd Noise After Shutdown - 2K SE

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2002, 08:33 PM

Wierd Noise After Shutdown - 2K SE

Hey Guys,
It's been awhile since I've posted, but the car has developed an issue and I'm hoping someone can help. Everytime I shut the car down, I hear a strange noise coming from the engine bay. It sounds like an electrical motor (almost like a power antenna). I'm thinking it's the IAC motor in the throttlebody retracting, but I've had the car since December and never noticed it before. Anyone else hear this on their car??

Thanks in advance all!
Old 06-14-2002, 08:37 PM

every day...it's normal...

Old 06-14-2002, 08:38 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Wierd Noise After Shutdown - 2K SE

Originally posted by TPI Monte SS
Hey Guys,
It's been awhile since I've posted, but the car has developed an issue and I'm hoping someone can help. Everytime I shut the car down, I hear a strange noise coming from the engine bay. It sounds like an electrical motor (almost like a power antenna). I'm thinking it's the IAC motor in the throttlebody retracting, but I've had the car since December and never noticed it before. Anyone else hear this on their car??

Thanks in advance all!
If it's a screeching sound, then it's the electric motor mounts and they need to be replaced under warranty. Another person on this forum had the same problem.

Thread
Old 06-14-2002, 08:42 PM
2K1HoMax

its normal, ull only hear it if your right next to your hood when the engine shuts off, or if ur windowns are down. so dont worry about it.

Old 06-14-2002, 08:43 PM

Originally posted by 2K1HoMax
its normal, ull only hear it if your right next to your hood when the engine shuts off, or if ur windowns are down. so dont worry about it.
Lies, all lies... that's what I thought at first when Yogik posted a thread about this problem. He found the fix, check the thread!
Old 06-14-2002, 08:48 PM
2K1HoMax

Originally posted by Tanmann9

Lies, all lies... that's what I thought at first when Yogik posted a thread about this problem. He found the fix, check the thread!
the noise i was refering to is the sound IAC motor in the throttlebody retracting, it last about 1sec in may car. now if there was a screeching noise comin from under the hood for 5-7sex, then the mount that u are refering to would be the problem, but in my car thats the only noise that i hear. i cant hear exactly the noise, or tell what it is from him describing it online, but if its the sound u say it is, then no qustion about it, ur right it is the mount.

Old 06-14-2002, 08:54 PM

Re: Re: Wierd Noise After Shutdown - 2K SE

If it's a screeching sound, then it's the electric motor mounts and they need to be replaced under warranty. Another person on this forum had the same problem.

Thread
Thanks for the info guys! I'll check with the dealership once I'm on summer vacation. Though, I might try a different dealer. Last time I brought my car about the TSB for the automagic, they told me it was normal for the car to hold redline, then bang into second gear. Thankfully I bought the 5yr/75K mile warranty!
Old 06-14-2002, 08:54 PM

Originally posted by 2K1HoMax

the noise i was refering to is the sound IAC motor in the throttlebody retracting, it last about 1sec in may car. now if there was a screeching noise comin from under the hood for 5-7sex, then the mount that u are refering to would be the problem, but in my car thats the only noise that i hear. i cant hear exactly the noise, or tell what it is from him describing it online, but if its the sound u say it is, then no qustion about it, ur right it is the mount.
Yeah, I figured it was the same thing when Yogik posted about it, but he proved me wrong. My weird engine bay noises last about 3 seconds. How long do your's last, Monte?
Old 06-14-2002, 09:00 PM

Yeah, I figured it was the same thing when Yogik posted about it, but he proved me wrong. My weird engine bay noises last about 3 seconds. How long do your's last, Monte?
Mine is also about 3-4 seconds, I'd say. It's definitely a screeching type sound too. I also hear it if I turn the key to the "On" position, but don't start the car. That's what made me think the IAC might be making the noise. The car only has 26K miles on it.

Do you hear the noise with the key "On" too??
Old 06-14-2002, 09:34 PM

Mine is also about 3-4 seconds, I'd say. It's definitely a screeching type sound too. I also hear it if I turn the key to the "On" position, but don't start the car. That's what made me think the IAC might be making the noise. The car only has 26K miles on it.

Do you hear the noise with the key "On" too??
Nope. Only immediately after shut down. I'd have it checked at the dealer. PM Yogik since he probably had the same problem.
Old 06-15-2002, 08:28 PM

Nope. Only immediately after shut down. I'd have it checked at the dealer. PM Yogik since he probably had the same problem.
Man, this is bizzare. I will also hear the same noise when I come to a stop with the engine running, or if I put it in Neutral, rev it, and when the RPMs return to idle speed, I hear the noise again. Gonna go to the dealer pronto I guess.

Any ideas how I can make them do the TSB for the computer reprogram too?
Old 06-15-2002, 09:30 PM

Man, this is bizzare. I will also hear the same noise when I come to a stop with the engine running, or if I put it in Neutral, rev it, and when the RPMs return to idle speed, I hear the noise again. Gonna go to the dealer pronto I guess.

Any ideas how I can make them do the TSB for the computer reprogram too?
Well, since it's the motor mounts that are bad, I'd guess anytime you force the engine (starts, stops, etc), the mounts will make the noise.