6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Xm Radio

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2003, 07:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Xm Radio

What's up guys , ordered my 2k4 already, at the time i ordered it i asked about XM radio, and the dealer knew nothing about it. Today My friend tells me that it is in fact listed as an option. Did anyone order one or does anyone know if this is true.
Old 04-21-2003, 08:47 PM

Re: Xm Radio

Originally posted by SIGGY
What's up guys , ordered my 2k4 already, at the time i ordered it i asked about XM radio, and the dealer knew nothing about it. Today My friend tells me that it is in fact listed as an option. Did anyone order one or does anyone know if this is true.
I was actually wondering about this. There was a sticker on the radio in my car that stated that the current models do not have the Sat equipment (just the button), nor is the equipment available. It stated that it would be available in later builds (of 2004s), and that it would not be available as a retrofit add on.

I am not sure that I would use it, $10/month for radio is a bit much to me... but I have thought about it.

Grant
Old 04-22-2003, 02:40 PM

When i bought mine, the dealer said it was "XM ready", whatever that means. I didn't go into it, as I don't want it.

here's what it says in the Specs part of NissanUSA.com

Satellite radio option (SAT) includes hardware, activation fee, and two months service upon its activation. SAT not functional until SAT option is installed. Satellite signal required.

Its listed as Optional equipment, so I'm guessing the hardware isn't in place.
Old 04-22-2003, 04:28 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

same with Infiniti, it was listed as an option, then pushed back while Nissan looks into more attractive options for antenna placement.

As far as $10 for sat radio, you dont know what youre missing.. like comparing HBO to CBS.
Old 04-22-2003, 06:33 PM

Re: Re: Xm Radio

Originally posted by gmc74
....There was a sticker on the radio in my car that stated that the current models do not have the Sat equipment (just the button), nor is the equipment available. It stated that it would be available in later builds (of 2004s), and that it would not be available as a retrofit add on.
Yes, apparently it will be late availablity with no retro-fit possible on early '04s.

I'm dissapointed,
I actually would have wanted the XM if it was available... I have it in my home and like it.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:11 PM

Re: Re: Re: Xm Radio

Originally posted by MAXSE-RIOUS
Yes, apparently it will be late availablity with no retro-fit possible on early '04s.

I'm dissapointed,
I actually would have wanted the XM if it was available... I have it in my home and like it.
I want a Neo (click here)
Old 04-23-2003, 07:49 PM

I have it, but I did not go with XM. I have a friend that works for Sirius and opted for t that instead. Much better service and worth the money for an extra $2 a month. It is all integrated into the screen and I have non stop music. I love it!
Old 04-24-2003, 05:10 AM

Originally posted by mikey0120
I have it, but I did not go with XM. I have a friend that works for Sirius and opted for t that instead. Much better service and worth the money for an extra $2 a month. It is all integrated into the screen and I have non stop music. I love it!
So all you had to do is add the box in the trunk and the antenna?
If not, what else was involved?
Old 04-24-2003, 06:31 AM

Originally posted by LDLDL

So all you had to do is add the box in the trunk and the antenna?
If not, what else was involved?
I actually had to wire the whole car up since the car was not prewired yet. Apparently, the prewired Maxima's will not be complete until June. If the vehicle was prewired, then I would have only had to install the tuner box and antenna. That would take an hour tops. Once everything plugged in, it worked right away. I called Sirius and activated.
Old 04-24-2003, 07:23 AM

I actually had to wire the whole car up since the car was not prewired yet. Apparently, the prewired Maxima's will not be complete until June. If the vehicle was prewired, then I would have only had to install the tuner box and antenna. That would take an hour tops. Once everything plugged in, it worked right away. I called Sirius and activated.
How long did it take you, and did you take pictures of the process?
Old 04-24-2003, 08:26 AM

Originally posted by gmc74

How long did it take you, and did you take pictures of the process?
3 hours. no pics of the process. The whole installation was fairly simple. The tidious aspect was trying to figure out how to take the dash apart. I had to plug the cables in behind the cassette box. There is a module there. As I said earlier, if the car was prewired, the install would have taken at most 1 hour.
Old 04-24-2003, 09:00 AM

3 hours. no pics of the process. The whole installation was fairly simple. The tidious aspect was trying to figure out how to take the dash apart. I had to plug the cables in behind the cassette box. There is a module there. As I said earlier, if the car was prewired, the install would have taken at most 1 hour.
Do you think the dealer will install the cables/wiring on the before wired Maximas once the pre-wired Maximas are delivered?
Old 04-25-2003, 08:14 AM

XM Radio

Do you have to get the regular sunroof ($900.00) to have XM radio? There are 3 new 04's (2 SE's, 1 SL) at Stewart Nissan and all of them have the regular roof with XM radio. Previous, all of his 04 Maxima's had the skyview roof but did not have the XM antenna. I was wondering if the skyview roof would interfer with the location of the XM antenna.
Old 04-25-2003, 09:51 AM

Re: XM Radio

Originally posted by darrelfsu
....There are 3 new 04's (2 SE's, 1 SL) at Stewart Nissan and all of them have the regular roof with XM radio. Previous, all of his 04 Maxima's had the skyview roof but did not have the XM antenna...
You've actually seen some that have come in wired with the XM antenna??

Wow! I thought it wouldn't be available till much later this year.
Old 04-25-2003, 09:59 AM

XM Radio

Oh yeah, there are 3 of them. The antenna looks cool. It's a black box above the rear window with the XM logo on it. The two SE's (Liquid Silver and Spirited Bronze at 31,600) and the SL (Black) is 30,000. The cars have the mudgaurds on them and beleive me, they all look hot! They look very solid and hardcore. I was actually suprised to see the XM antenna though... but they were there.
Old 04-25-2003, 11:10 AM

Re: XM Radio

Originally posted by darrelfsu
Oh yeah, there are 3 of them. The antenna looks cool. It's a black box above the rear window with the XM logo on it. The two SE's (Liquid Silver and Spirited Bronze at 31,600) and the SL (Black) is 30,000. The cars have the mudgaurds on them and beleive me, they all look hot! They look very solid and hardcore. I was actually suprised to see the XM antenna though... but they were there.
Can we get a couple of pictures of what they look like?

Grant
Old 04-26-2003, 03:43 AM

Would be nice...

Do you think the dealer will install the cables/wiring on the before wired Maximas once the pre-wired Maximas are delivered?
It would be nice... I hope so... but Nissan claims no retro-fit will be available!
Old 04-26-2003, 07:03 AM

I have to go to the dealer this morning and I'll ask all about getting one installed.
Old 04-26-2003, 09:32 AM

I have to go to the dealer this morning and I'll ask all about getting one installed.
Went to the dealer this morning and they didn't have a clue!!!!
They first thought that all the 2004s came pre wired because the radio had the "SAT" button. Then they thought that maybe all the 2004s came equipped with Sat. All you had to do was call them up and activate the service. When I mentioned that you need the sat antenna, they said that maybe it is intergrated into the rear window. So.... after I was done educating them as to what would be needed, we went to the parts department and they could not find any information on it at all. They said that they would make some calls on Monday and let me know then. We also checked all of the cars on the lot and none of them had the antenna.
Old 04-26-2003, 10:10 AM

They first thought that all the 2004s came pre wired because the radio had the "SAT" button. Then they thought that maybe all the 2004s came equipped with Sat. All you had to do was call them up and activate the service. When I mentioned that you need the sat antenna, they said that maybe it is intergrated into the rear window. So.... after I was done educating them as to what would be needed, we went to the parts department and they could not find any information on it at all. They said that they would make some calls on Monday and let me know then. We also checked all of the cars on the lot and none of them had the antenna.
Why am I not surprised? LOL

Thanks for the update, let us know what you find out.
Old 04-26-2003, 11:23 AM

XM Radio

I'm going to the dealer either today or tomorrow to get some pics of the XM antenna. That is, if they still have them. Stewart Nissan is selling '04 Maxima's like hot cakes.
Old 04-26-2003, 12:30 PM

Late availability....

Thanks for the update... I'd be very surprised if anyone is able to get any XM info from Nissan for at least another couple of months.
Old 04-26-2003, 10:14 PM

What's XM or Sirrius?
Old 04-26-2003, 10:22 PM

Originally posted by annimax
What's XM or Sirrius?
Satellite Radio

Check out....

www.xmradio.com and

www.sirius.com
Old 04-26-2003, 10:41 PM

Satellite Radio

Check out....

www.xmradio.com and

www.sirius.com
OOPS I meant to ask: what's better, XM or Sirius ??
Old 04-27-2003, 04:51 AM

Can't speak to Sirius... but I've had XM in my home for over a year, and love it!
Old 04-27-2003, 06:56 AM

They both are great! Sirius is 100% commercial free!, whereas XM isn't.
Sirius costs $12.95 monthly and XM is $9.99.
Old 04-27-2003, 09:14 PM

I have both XM and Sirius. Sounds like overkill, but I must say that I like the programming better on Sirius. Plus they have no commercials. For an extra 3 dollars a month, it is well worth it.

I have noticed that the commercials on XM are longer now than when I first got it last year. That can't be a good sign.
Old 04-27-2003, 10:36 PM

I have both XM and Sirius. Sounds like overkill, but I must say that I like the programming better on Sirius. Plus they have no commercials. For an extra 3 dollars a month, it is well worth it.

I have noticed that the commercials on XM are longer now than when I first got it last year. That can't be a good sign.
Thanks to mikey0120 and all others who helped answer my question
Old 05-02-2003, 09:31 PM

dam, do you really think its worth having both???
Old 05-03-2003, 05:27 AM

Forgot to mention...

What's XM or Sirrius?
Can't speak to Sirius... but I've had XM in my home for over a year, and love it!
I did forget to mention one significant difference.... I believe Sirius is designed only for use in the car, I don't believe they offer any options/tuners to also enable their service in your home. Whereas XM also offers home & even portable tuners which allow you to enjoy their service almost anywhere!
Old 05-03-2003, 10:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Forgot to mention...

I did forget to mention one significant difference.... I believe Sirius is designed only for use in the car, I don't believe they offer any options/tuners to also enable their service in your home. Whereas XM also offers home & even portable tuners which allow you to enjoy their service almost anywhere!
Sirius will have a portable tuner later this month. It is made by Kenwood. Here is a Picture and link:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-IV6joe9...sp?i=113KTCH2A

Either XM or Sirius, once you have it, you will not go back to radio as you know it.
Old 05-03-2003, 10:53 AM

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe

dam, do you really think its worth having both???
Well, I wanted to try both services. Once my XM contract is up, I am not going to renew it. I am sticking with Sirius.

I am excited to see the home products from Sirius coming this summer. I beleive Kenwood and Audiovox will have units. I read some threads on the features on both and it is pretty impressive. But those are just rumors so we'll see.
Old 05-05-2003, 11:01 AM

Yup...

Originally posted by kronnman
...Either XM or Sirius, once you have it, you will not go back to radio as you know it.
Agreed!
Old 05-05-2003, 03:14 PM

I would definitely go with Sirius Sat radio. I have it in my 99 Max SE, and love it. No commercials, and no Clear Channel Entertainment involvment either. If you register over at the Sirius Backstage Forums, you can find out how to get an Audiovox FM modulator, tuner, and antenna for free when you sign up for a year of Sirius(installation not included). You can also go over there and ask questions about Sirius or XM.

Kronnman: you got a Max too? Neato! -Siriusatn67
Old 05-21-2003, 09:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

So what's the latest here? I have yet to see any at the dealers yet...
I called Nissan last week and was told they are producing them currently at the factory.
Old 05-28-2003, 09:05 AM

The following was found on the 6MT.NET site regarding the G35.
Any information on the Maximas yet?

"May 28, 2003-
Satelite radio receivers are now on sale. To see if your G35 is sat ready, first check to see if you have a black sticker on the inside of the driver's side door frame. If not, see if the last 6 digits of your VIN are above the following:

Sedan: 321894 and higher
Coupe: 210827 and higher

If so, your G should be sat ready. You can buy the receiver's from your dealer. Both XM and Sirius receivers are available. See your dealer for further details."
Old 05-28-2003, 10:58 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

heh, *just* finished installing the xm tuner my GCoupe. It was prewired. Works very well. the display is alittle weak, ala the pioneer 903.. and it wont stay in a display mode, always goes back to station.

the funny thing is Infiniti insisted on selling me a harness I didnt need. I'll take that back, but its funny how they cant seem to get the info needed to the parts guys.. or sales guys for that matter.
Old 05-29-2003, 07:37 PM

Originally posted by TimW
heh, *just* finished installing the xm tuner my GCoupe. It was prewired. Works very well. the display is alittle weak, ala the pioneer 903.. and it wont stay in a display mode, always goes back to station.

On my buddies G coupe, the whole title is displayed with Sirius. If the name of the artist or title is too long, you can press the PTY button and it reads the rest of the artist title. On all Nissans, Sirius can read 36 characters while XM can only do 16 (i could be off byu a few on either system). It is in the Service providers system, not the hardware. No scrolling function from either company for OEM. I guess they are afraid of driver distraction.
Old 05-31-2003, 03:44 PM

Well I just custom ordered my 2004 SL today and I knew about the Sat radio before hand so I asked and he was told on Tuesday that the plant in TN (where mine is coming from) is building them with XM now. He said that last month this wasnt an option but is now. Also he said the dealers will not be retro fitting older 04s with Sat. This was in Columbus GA BTW.

Quick Reply: Xm Radio