6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

6th Gen Performance Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 03:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

6th Gen Performance Upgrades

I am looking for some performance upgrades for my '04 Max. I currently only have a K&N air filter on it. My wife drives the car about 40 miles everyday to work. So, it can't be anything that is extreme like a turbo. I am really looking for an exhaust system or an intake or something else bolt-on. I have not had a lot of luck searching on the internet.

Has anyone added anything? And what are your thoughts on what you added?

Thanks!
Old 03-15-2004, 08:54 PM

I'm adding a Stillen High-Flow Intake, Greddy SP2 Exhaust System and a Stillen RR Sway Bar this Friday. I will let you know how it goes. The guy's at Stillen said I am looking at about 18-23 HP gains from the Intake and Exhaust System. Got the Intake at www.stillen.com and the exhaust at http://www.hopupracing.com/

Good luck brother!
Old 03-16-2004, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by JiuJitsuThug
I'm adding a Stillen High-Flow Intake, Greddy SP2 Exhaust System and a Stillen RR Sway Bar this Friday. I will let you know how it goes. The guy's at Stillen said I am looking at about 18-23 HP gains from the Intake and Exhaust System. Got the Intake at www.stillen.com and the exhaust at http://www.hopupracing.com/

Good luck brother!
I wouldn't trust $tillens HP quotes. They tend to inflate thier numbers quite a bit. Exhaust typically don't give you any more than 2-3hp on the 4th/5th gens. Maybe the 6th gens exhaust is more restrictive than the older cars (I doubt it). The intake may give you another 5-8 hp. Hopefully you realize your car will probably be significantly louder with this set up.
These mods won't "hurt" you car, but just don't expect the gains they're telling you.
This is only my opinion.
Good luck....
Old 03-16-2004, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by maxfreak_98
I wouldn't trust $tillens HP quotes. They tend to inflate thier numbers quite a bit. Exhaust typically don't give you any more than 2-3hp on the 4th/5th gens. Maybe the 6th gens exhaust is more restrictive than the older cars (I doubt it). The intake may give you another 5-8 hp. Hopefully you realize your car will probably be significantly louder with this set up.
These mods won't "hurt" you car, but just don't expect the gains they're telling you.
This is only my opinion.
Good luck....
No worries and thanks for the reply. I have heard about Stillen inflating their numbers so I went to an independent source www.hopupracing.com. They don't even stock Stillen products. He said I would be looking at about 8 from the intake and the exhaust I got from himi and Greddy. Greddy told me I would get 10hp - the guy at hopup told me I would get anywhere from 5-8. Regardless even if the combo of the intake and exhaust only give me a total gain of 10hp I will be more than happy with the power. As for the sound, the Greddy SP2 Exhaust is rated as one of the quietest upgrades you can get. I heard a G35 coupe with them on and they sounded awesome. As soon as the 35 hit over 3Krpm it ripped! So hopefully I will get more of that or the Z sound. I will elt you guys know how it sounds after everything is installed this Friday Cya
Old 03-19-2004, 02:20 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

How much is everything costing you? Will it affect the factory warranty?
Old 03-20-2004, 12:39 PM

Yeah definately keep us up to date on that Stillen intake, it looks like it sits alot higher that the injen intake. Is this true? How low that injen one sits really worried me, but if this sits higher it might work great! Keep us posted!
Old 03-20-2004, 01:47 PM

Well the injen is a cold air intake and the stillen is not. I have the injen right now and it sounds very nice. Power is hard to tell because noise can be deceiving but so far I havent beating my best stock time because of traction issues.
Old 03-20-2004, 02:43 PM

Here are a few of my pics from my performance upgrades.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/547671

I can't say enough how much I love the new intake, exhaust and sway bar. The butt dyno was felt immediately by my Nissan technician, he said it was the fastest 04' he has driven. I noticed it immediately too. The sound of the intake really kicks in past 4K plus the exhaust sound is AWESOME. Perfect balance of power and sound. It sounds almost exactly like my friends 03' M3 when he's pushing it. The sway bar also helps ALOT. No more roll when hitting turns and it just feels tighter. Took one of my friends for a ride and he said he felt like the car felt alot faster and tighter also. I am totally happy with everything. The exhaust is very agressive looking and I'm still getting used to it but everyone really seems to like it. My only other investment might be for the Stillen rear section to cover the exhaust canisters a tad bit more. Very happy overall!
Old 03-21-2004, 09:08 AM

I can't say enough how much I love the new intake, exhaust and sway bar. The butt dyno was felt immediately by my Nissan technician, he said it was the fastest 04' he has driven. I noticed it immediately too. The sound of the intake really kicks in past 4K plus the exhaust sound is AWESOME. Perfect balance of power and sound. It sounds almost exactly like my friends 03' M3 when he's pushing it. The sway bar also helps ALOT. No more roll when hitting turns and it just feels tighter. Took one of my friends for a ride and he said he felt like the car felt alot faster and tighter also. I am totally happy with everything. The exhaust is very agressive looking and I'm still getting used to it but everyone really seems to like it. My only other investment might be for the Stillen rear section to cover the exhaust canisters a tad bit more. Very happy overall!
The exhaust is a little too ricer looking for me, but that Stillen intake looks good, did you order it from Stillen directly or from someone else? Thanks!
Old 03-21-2004, 09:25 AM

JiuJitsuThug, you should pop off the front air vent... you will get more air under the hood for the intake.
Old 03-21-2004, 10:19 AM

winterk - I'm still getting used to the exhaust look too, but its growing on me... Here's a pic of antother 04 with a Magnaflow Exhaust that looks similar to mine.

http://www.freshalloy.com/site/cars/...photos/002.jpg

I think with the way the rear is designed on the 04 alot of performance exhausts are going to sit a little low. Anyway if the look doesn't grow on me, I will just keep my eye open for another exhaust, maybe the Stillen when it comes out. Love the sound and performance of the Greddy so far though. Got the Stillen Intake directly from them. Actually received it via UPS the next day.

04 ELiteSE - thanks brother -I will give that a try.
Old 03-21-2004, 12:02 PM

if you wanna sell the greddy later on down the road I may take it off your hands if the price is right.
Old 03-21-2004, 05:09 PM

I have been having trouble about the exhaust I may put on, I want dual tips. I want a cat-back but I may need / want head and or Y later which means I need my stock resonator for sound ...

Anyway hears my ideal exhaust look.

They are Magnaflows, but I don't know if it is a cat-Back

http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/405e401e...2TkXABNBp5NrXH

Hope the links works
Old 03-22-2004, 05:50 AM

Nice set up
How much for the chromed stock rims? I think they're going to be available from the factory soon.
Old 03-22-2004, 07:47 AM

maxfreak_98 - Thanks! I did a wheel exhange directly with the Nissan Dealership. You should contact your dealership and see if they have a wheel exhange program for your 04's. It was a fairly new process at my dealership. I paid $600 for the full set and they took my old rims as trade ins. I think if you were to buy them directly with the 04 they are like a $1,200 option.