6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.
View Poll Results: Did your struts go bad?
Yes, Front Left replaced no new problems
6.06%
Yes, Front Right replaced no new problems
14.72%
Yes, Rear Left replaced no new problems
0%
Yes, Rear Right replaced no new problems
0.87%
Yes, Both Front Replaced no new problems
19.05%
Yes, All 4 replaced no new problems
2.60%
Yes, Had one/some/all replaced and need new ones
12.12%
Yes, Had one/some/all replaced and waiting for redesign
4.33%
No, no problems at all (maybe wait to vote?!)
27.71%
I don't know (wait to vote then?!)
12.55%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Bad Strut Poll

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 04:55 AM
VIP

No problems YET.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:09 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by DIGITAL
No problems YET.
Good.
When I came to replace struts for the third time dealer actually didn't have them in stock. I had to wait 2 days for them to get my struts.
Interesting part is that my service advisor told me that this is normal and almost every single 6th gen comes to replace struts every so often.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by mroleg
No it was still under warranty. Once you hit 36000 miles warranty is out and you would have to pay.
i had to pay about 600 $'s and it only had about 8,000 miles oni t
Old 04-26-2006, 05:27 PM

you can buy the struts at 1stnissanparts.com for like 75 bucks each, then take it somewhere else to have them put it. Better than paying the dealer $279.00 just for one strut.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I had some thumping noise when I went over bumps. Dealer said it was the the front right strut. I asked them to replace both because of all the problems I read here and that it was suggested to do so. They refused and when I spoke to the service manager, he said the the last time he did that he got his hands slapped. I asked them to call Nissan and check. They claimed they called and Nissan and Nissann said they were not aware of a problem with the 04 struts, so they would not replace the left one at this time. I guess I just have to wait and go through this again. BTW they had my car for 3 days.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:39 PM

Hi maxium, what was the sound on bad struts that you heard my max warrenty is up in aug. Please describe I thank you for your input. Glen
Old 10-04-2006, 12:54 PM

5 months later, my car is in for the left front strut that they wouldn't replace in May. Another 2 or 3 days in the shop because they don't have the part. No problems that they are aware of! I quess it is normal for the struts to fail in less than 22000 miles. Why put people through this.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:27 PM

Yeah I had to have my front struts replaced too. Guess it happens to more people then I thought.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:50 AM

I had the same problem with my 02 altima. Made a real nasty 'clunking' noise when I went over bumps. I hope I don't see the same problem with my max.

I never got it fixed on my altima, since it only got real bad after my warranty was up. I lost control of my car rather easily after trying to dodge some debris on the hwy, consequentally slamming into the side of the highway. Totalled. I'm wondering if the broken strut might have affected that at all.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:14 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Lowered on Eibach for over 2 years now and still have my original OEM front struts. Zero sound and still great handling...
Old 10-19-2006, 10:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I am having tons of issues.....they admitted that the right front strut was bad and replaced it. Won't admit that any of the others are bad even though they sound exactly the same as the right front one did. All they have done is the TSB that calls for replacing strut insulators and front portion of carpet replacement, all in hopes that it will dampen the sound to the point that they hope I won't hear it and the warranty will just run out and they won't have to be liable for it anymore. Nissan custome care is a JOKE...in my conversation with them they asked me "what would you like us to do to remedy this problem?" I say "replace my other 3 bad struts so that they match the good one that you put on the right front....they finally determine that they "can't do that" since they haven't determined that there haven't been any problems reported with the 2004 Maxima struts. How sleezy has this company gotten? Or greedy shall I say. They know good well there is a problem because they revised the strut and issued a new part number. Somewhere underlying in all this with everyone that has and is having problems there ought to be a way for us to get together and take legal action against them. After owning every generation Maxima since 1994 this has been the worst experience ever.....Nissan just isn't what it used to be since they moved the Maxima to Tennessee to be assembled. Never had a problem with my other 3 Max's.....whew! soapbox over! LOL
Old 10-21-2006, 09:57 AM

i had my front struts replaced too long time ago i had like 12 000 miles on my SE 04 so far soo good now
Old 11-22-2006, 06:49 PM

2yr+5mos and 43Kmiles later, my right front strut finally pops its ugly head. I got poping noise going over road irregularities. Man, I'm losing patience with Nissan now. I don't think I would want to go with stock OEMs. Time to go shopping for some aftermarket and call it the day. I heard a lots of this issue from many people here. But nobody seems to have drivability problem ? I'm about to head out for a 1200mile road trip, I hope it will hold up. Man, I would never thought I have to give that a 2nd thought for a car this new. I wanna say bye to Nissan finally, but my wife just told me shw really like the Murano. I would try to talk her into something else.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:00 PM
gec

6200 miles on my 2006 max and the left one just started to rear its ugly head. I know this is covered under warranty but I'm going aftermarket. I had the same problem with my 04.

Old 11-23-2006, 08:55 PM

This place seems to have the best price on the KYB, free shippping too:
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/pe...=203&year=2004
I will call my mechanic tomorrow and see how much he will charge for labor. Will check if he would recommend an alignment.
Anyone here use this strut ? Any comments ? Is there a problem to keep the existing boot and base ?
Old 11-24-2006, 10:29 AM

So it's confirmed. The labor will cost $117 for both sides. The two struts are ~$110. Not bad at all. I will update later how the new struts will feel. That's how much it will cost me, so you all have some ideas. For that much, I don't think do-it-yourself worth the trouble, unless you enjoy the hassle. An alignment is optional, and it's another $49. The noise started a few days ago and now it's getting worse fast (noise that is).
Old 11-29-2006, 07:43 PM

Just got the KYB installed today. The noise is gone for good. The front is quite a bit tighter and rougher than stock struts. The Shop swore the old strut was fine, no leak and bounce test was good. I asked them to replace anyway (it's my $$$). I found the problem: when I wiggle the shaft, it moves a tiny bit (1/16") that was the source of the clunking noise (I can even hear the noise when wiggle by hands). The left strut's shaft was still solidly tight. I'm not used to the tightness upfront yet. But if I like the new handling, I may replace the rear shock with KYB also. This time I may do the job myself, since there is no coil springs involved.
By the way, I let the shop bought the struts ($20 more than the web) and they gave me lifetime warranty (labor too). KYB already has lifetime but you have to return to an authorized dealer and they have 90days to replace after verifying the failure (what a joke). The shop will give me same day replacement. I hope never to hear about strut issue again, but feel better to have that warranty.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by MaxFan
Just got the KYB installed today. The noise is gone for good. The front is quite a bit tighter and rougher than stock struts. The Shop swore the old strut was fine, no leak and bounce test was good. I asked them to replace anyway (it's my $$$). I found the problem: when I wiggle the shaft, it moves a tiny bit (1/16") that was the source of the clunking noise (I can even hear the noise when wiggle by hands). The left strut's shaft was still solidly tight. I'm not used to the tightness upfront yet. But if I like the new handling, I may replace the rear shock with KYB also. This time I may do the job myself, since there is no coil springs involved.
By the way, I let the shop bought the struts ($20 more than the web) and they gave me lifetime warranty (labor too). KYB already has lifetime but you have to return to an authorized dealer and they have 90days to replace after verifying the failure (what a joke). The shop will give me same day replacement. I hope never to hear about strut issue again, but feel better to have that warranty.
I am getting the same wiggle but from the upper mounting flange/gasket with rubber gasket and bearing that holds the shock absorber/strut assembly in place. They replaced my right front shock and the very same night when the mechanic at the Nissan Stealership took my car out to road test it right after replacing the flange/gasket minus the bearing, the car still made a clunking sound. They think that they may have a bad batch of Strut/shocks. The noise is coming from the right front and it happens when I drive over a rough patch of pavement like a crack or depression in the road due to a man hole cover. This noise started about one month after I got the new Eibach Pro kit lowering springs. I don't think (and neither does the machanic) that it has anything to do with the spring. He says that although they lover the car there is only a bit more compression on the strut than usual and not enough to make a big difference. We were wonder also, could it be something else thats clunking like the hood or something. When we pressed down on the car with the hood open and our finger on the mounting screw that holds the Strut we could feel a ticking sound. Anyway, the car is going back on Wednesday night for a whole new shock/strut assembly, mounting flange and bearing.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:35 PM

OK Guys and Gals, So the stealership replaced the entire assembly again last night and it's all good for now again. They replaced the shock/strut, the top bracket that hold the shock (under the hood) and the bearing.

No more noises and the car is quiet like she should be. Had the winters put on again. Man is it ever bouncy with those winters. The car sits higher as the winters are not low profile. Even though the winters are on 17" steel rims, the car still sits higher by about an inch. All good as I don't want the car to double as a snow plough too. LOL!
Old 12-09-2006, 03:36 PM

Brought mine in for the 30k service today. I decided to leave it for the weekend to have the tsbs rectified. The service advisor called, and informed me that once again, I needed the right front strut (#3) replaced. Also I have a cracked watchumacallit that has to do with the exhaust, and need the brakes replaced front and rear. I'm not a speed demon, and I don't drive aggressively, but the vehicle isn't two years old yet, and....never mind
Old 12-11-2006, 05:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My 06 is having a clunking noise as I drive slow and when I turn right to left. They replaced my struts but the noise is still there. Now there saying its my Eibach springs??? N E one know what it could be
Old 12-12-2006, 09:09 PM

Check the front sway bar links
Old 12-13-2006, 12:21 PM

I've brought my car in twice for this same problem and just got it back to realize it's still there. I shoudnt say this but I kinda feel bad, I've gotten two new front struts and most recently those endlink things and alot of wated time. I don't know much about this kinda of stuff, but I went in with a printout from the org. of what I believed my problem was, also we went for a test drive, but I was unable to really get the car to duplicate the noise exactly what I was feeling.

Anyways as I turn right or lean right on a curved road, it has to be a bumby road too, I feel a clanking noise. The noise seems to travel up the steering column, maybe not, but knock or hit the steering wheel and you can kinda hear a resemblance of that same sound that comes from the drivers side...

The tech I deal with is mad cool and treats me very well, I just dont want him to think Im abusing his willingness or my warrenty, but on the other hand it's my investment, my warrenty, etc... I may try a different dealership next time before going back to him, but that wont be till after the holidays.

After new struts and endlinks my car feels tighter than before and smoother, but Im still stuck with that noise....good luck!!
Old 12-13-2006, 02:13 PM

First off, I have been very lucky to have a stealership that has backed me up 100% even with my Eibach's on. My First strut was defective and that is why I still had the noise up front. When they replaced it a week later along with the bearing on top and the entire braket on top that holds the shock/strut assembly under the hood, they solved the noise problem.

1. Check to make sure that the assembly on top is not defective. This includes the strut mount on top and the bearing. Mine was loose by over 1/8 of an inch! This would definately contribute to early strut failure.

2. This would not be the following: Tie rods, wheel bearing and CV joint.

3. This noise could be: a loose front anti-sway bar.

4. I do not think that the noise is from the steering system as this is a direct link. Sometimes a bad strut can cause the noise to seem like it's coming from the steering column. It is probably either a bad left or most likely a bad right strut.

5. I can not stress enough the relationship you have with your Customer Service person and your mechanic at your dealer...they are your best source of help with respect to this issue. Talk to both of them. Be there when they work on your car!

I am probably going to install KYB GR2's in the front next spring if the strut issue doesn't resolve itself and continues to be a problem.

Good luck!
Old 12-14-2006, 01:32 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the feedback. So it isnt the Eibach springs?
Old 12-14-2006, 08:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I recently purchased an 04. I ran a car fax on serveral that I looked at before purchasing mine. Every one I ran a car fax on had "Suspension system serviced" listed in the details section. I wonder if that was truly just service or actually replacing the struts.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:31 AM

04 SE and havnt had any problems. THough I bought it last year with 17kon it
Old 12-14-2006, 09:58 AM

04 SE and havnt had any problems. Though I bought it last year with 17k on it
Old 12-14-2006, 09:38 PM

Maryland and Georgia both have amazing roads...try coming up here to Montreal in the spring and have a go at our pot hole filled roads....One pot hole at 35 MPH and that will be end your shock and the alignment...that's guaranteed....NY and NJ can be bad too...

Why don't make plans for a test drive up here next spring...lol

Especially the early 04's unless you bought them from a dealer and they changed the shocks to the newer model...they last a bit longer eh.

And no, the Eibach lower springs had nothing to do with this...I spoke with the mechanic who told me that the lowering spring actually does not add that much compression to the shocks....go figure...that's why a lot of us Max owners are switching to aftermarket shocks like the KYB GR2's...apparently they are quite good...I will find out next year in June if they need changing by then.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:42 PM

Yep, another one of my struts is failing. 20,000 miles ago, the front struts were replaced for the first time. Now, they need to be replaced again for the second time. Worst struts I have ever had on a car.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:47 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Strut Problem 2nd Time Around

After having the front struts on my '04 replaced a year ago, I am experiencing the same problem again. And of course I am 2000 miles out of warranty on the new struts. I will check my work order to determine the part number and hopefully the new information will help me when I take my car in tomorrow.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

yes, there is a big problem with the maxima's struts from the front. just had my 07 replaced both front struts and the car still has noise in the front>suspension. anyone with lemon law cases let me know, i just took nissan to court for the issue and they deny there is a problem
Old 12-30-2008, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by benny56
yes, there is a big problem with the maxima's struts from the front. just had my 07 replaced both front struts and the car still has noise in the front>suspension. anyone with lemon law cases let me know, i just took nissan to court for the issue and they deny there is a problem
you filed a law suit with the strut problems? wow, keep us updated on that.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:24 AM

I just replaced my struts on my 04, and all of the bushings/hardware.. I went with KYB's, instead of stock. Much better ride, and no more noise.

Travis
Old 11-01-2010, 09:09 PM

I am at 112,000 miles and I have not replaced struts yet. How do I check if my sunspension or struts are shot?

Thanks.

Last edited by KevMaster; 11-02-2010 at 05:16 AM.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:15 AM

Here is my story, I got my car pre-owned with 13k. drove it around for a bit, then around 15k, I had the front suspension replaced. Now im at 46k and have to get all replaced. my 1996 max waited till about 80k to get replaced. something is wrong with our suspension.

Oh, I live in NYC where the roads are always F*cked up.

Last edited by chris350; 11-03-2010 at 11:17 AM. Reason: added