Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) (https://maxima.org/forums/6th-generation-maxima-2004-2008-48/)
-   -   Fog Lights Dead (https://maxima.org/forums/6th-generation-maxima-2004-2008/262749-fog-lights-dead.html)

DougJones 11-10-2004 03:52 PM

Fog Lights Dead

Like quite a few people here, one of my fog lights burned out. Well, I replaced them with a 55w Sylvania H3 bulb and all was fine.... until tonight. I got out of my car to find that both fog lights had gone out. When I got home, I pulled each bulb to check for damage, but they both looked fine. I even re-installed the old bulb that was still working and it no longer works.

I am now afraid that the wiring has been damaged somehow. I don't know how, but I'm at a loss for any other explanation. Is there a fuse for the fog lights somewhere? I have not been able to find one.

Has anyone had this happen?

CanadianMoFo 11-10-2004 04:30 PM

There are a couple fuse panels for the car. One under the dash to the left of the steering column. One by the battery (not sure). And a bugger of a one under the beauty panel on the left side of the engine bay. Its the one that covers the windshield washer fluid and coolant area. Remove the quick release buttons, and pull the cover off. There will be a small long rectangluar shaped fuse box. It will pull out a bit to gain access to the mini-fuses inside.

You'll likely need a voltmeter with a continuity tester to verify if the fuse is dead or not. Those little mini-fuses are not see-through like the normal automotive kind.

Check your owners manual to find out if they list where the fog light fuse is located.

Alternately, since its a new car, take it to the dealership and have them service it.

CM.

DougJones 11-10-2004 05:08 PM

I've checked all fuses both in the cabin and under the hood, but there is no specific fuse designated for the fogs. As for the mini-plugs, mine ARE see through... and they all APPEARED to be fine.

I'll be taking it to the dealer at some point. I just need to find the time since, as we know, loaners are few and far between.

Thanks for the response

mailjbrown 11-10-2004 05:26 PM

The legend/location for each fuse and the AMP rating is shown molded into the cover of the fuse box (the one by the windshield washer)

DougJones 11-10-2004 05:29 PM

I know where that legend is. And unless I just overlooked it, I didn't see anything denoting a fuse for the foglights

carcus 11-10-2004 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by DougJones
Like quite a few people here, one of my fog lights burned out. Well, I replaced them with a 55w Sylvania H3 bulb and all was fine.... until tonight. I got out of my car to find that both fog lights had gone out. When I got home, I pulled each bulb to check for damage, but they both looked fine. I even re-installed the old bulb that was still working and it no longer works.

I am now afraid that the wiring has been damaged somehow. I don't know how, but I'm at a loss for any other explanation. Is there a fuse for the fog lights somewhere? I have not been able to find one.

Has anyone had this happen?

If the fuses check out OK...might have melted a wire, it happens. BMW had alot of problems with aftermarket bulbs. How do the wires look?

Edify11 11-11-2004 02:25 AM

I had the same problem. I forget which fuse it was under the hood, but I do remember that it was a 15amp fuse (blue). It is housed near the windshield fluid reservoir. When both fogs go out at the same time, it's usually because of this fuse. Going by your description of the problem, I'm pretty sure it's the fuse. Check all the 15 amp fuses near the reservoir.
However, recently I had just one go out. Since both fogs are on the same circuit, I'm assuming it's the bulb that went out. I've heard complaints from other 6th gen owners saying that they've been having the actual bulbs go out frequently. What's causing this?

04SEelite 11-11-2004 05:18 AM

It could be the start relay that is shot - take it to the dealer and have them check it out - may /may not be warranty but certainly worth getting it fixed...

DougJones 11-11-2004 05:30 AM

Carcus - I was afraid too that a wire/harness had melted. However, I was using a stock bulb wattage so that shouldn't have happened. I did take a look around and everything appears to be fine.

Edify - I'm going to skip out of the office in a minute to go check all of those 15a fuses. It makes sense to me that it would be a fuse since they both went out. I still wonder why the fuse blew. And I've also noticed the number of people having issues with the fogs. It just doesn't make sense.

04SEelite - If it doesn't turn out to be a fuse, I'm headed to the dealer.

NismoMax80 11-11-2004 06:04 AM

just put the oem bulbs in and take it to dealer. they could rightly deny you warranty work for adding a/m bulbs. when they replace your dead oem ones and see they still don't work, they will have to fix the real problem.

fogs are covered under 3yr/36k

DougJones 11-11-2004 06:22 AM

That's the thing Nismo. I replaced them with a standard OEM wattage sylvania bulb. The only reason that I replaced them was because one had already burned out.

Well, I've got some things to check before I head to the dealer.

NismoMax80 11-11-2004 06:41 AM

That's the thing Nismo. I replaced them with a standard OEM wattage sylvania bulb. The only reason that I replaced them was because one had already burned out.

Well, I've got some things to check before I head to the dealer.

but I mean, do you have the original bulbs that came with the car? I know some are so uptight, if they know you even touched the assembly, they will be hard-a##es, voiding your warranty.

I have PIAA H3 55W bulbs, and my dealer wouldn't even put them in. They could claim the bulb was defective, or was installed improperly and caused the damage. So I put them in myself, but if something goes wrong, I'll put the oem ones back in to get them worked on.

Hopefully they will be okay, if not you'll have to fight a losing battle. Nissan leaves warranty issues up to the discretion of these independent dealers. Discrepencies become a legal matter.

DougJones 11-11-2004 06:53 AM

I hear 'ya. I still have the original bulbs. One is obviously burned out and the other is good. I just hate to go through all of the hassle of putting them back in. I probably will if I end going back to the dealer.

carcus 11-11-2004 01:52 PM

I hear 'ya. I still have the original bulbs. One is obviously burned out and the other is good. I just hate to go through all of the hassle of putting them back in. I probably will if I end going back to the dealer.

That is what I would do...just to be safe.

DougJones 11-11-2004 04:36 PM

Last night really wasn't a good night. The fog light fuse that I swore was not under the hood magically appeared tonight :bonk:

The 15a fuse was blown. Now my question is why did it blow?

Major thanks to Ron (0404SEelite).

Edify11 11-11-2004 05:06 PM

Good question. After I replaced my fuse, I didn't have any problems until about two week ago when my driver's side blew. However I think this is a different problem altogether. What's going on with these fogs?

04SEelite 11-12-2004 06:17 AM

Last night really wasn't a good night. The fog light fuse that I swore was not under the hood magically appeared tonight :bonk:

The 15a fuse was blown. Now my question is why did it blow?

Major thanks to Ron (04SEelite).

Not a problem - glad to help - would suggest replacing the fuse and see if it was just a weak fuse or if there truly is an issue - if so, the new fuse will blow too :redbounce ...keep us posted, and again, glad to help!

DougJones 11-12-2004 07:20 AM

I replaced the fuse and all seems to be fine now (for now). Even my SES light has gone off. I've got my fingers crossed so we'll see what happens.

Switch 10-08-2010 06:41 PM

Digging up an old thread here, but both of mine are out and have been out since I bought the car. I thought I bought it with some trim package that didnt include fogs but I was apparently wrong.

Both of mine are out and unresponsive to the switch but the fuse is fine...yes, the one under the hood next to the wiper reservoir. What should I check next?

Thanks guys.

JB

mattmay94 11-04-2010 05:00 PM

I have to same problem. They won't come on

BadBlackMaxSL 11-04-2010 05:11 PM

Put in new bulbs? :facepalm::gotme:

NismoMax80 11-05-2010 07:57 AM

replace the bulbs...
many of us grew tired of replacing them (apparently like your car's previous owner) and upgrade to HID kits.

Was such a pain to remove everything in the engine bay to barely reach the bulbs. plus after a few replacements, you pay for a HID kit anyway.

pcassady 05-12-2011 07:17 PM

Does anyone know if there is a relay for the fog lights for 07 SE? and if so where is it located?

6.5affiliate 05-12-2011 10:16 PM

Nope, there isn't a relay for the fog lights unless you purchase one for an HID kit. Why do you ask?

Are you not getting power to the fogs or something?

DAlastDON 05-14-2011 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by pcassady (Post 8046326)
Does anyone know if there is a relay for the fog lights for 07 SE? and if so where is it located?

The fog light relay and fuse are located in the IPDM. You will find it under the beauty cover on the passenger side next to the windshield washer bottle. The fuse that usually blows is 15amp #43 though there are others related. To the best of my knowledge the relay is not replaceable and requires the whole IPDM to be replaced.

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g...Shots/IPDM.jpg

6.5affiliate 05-14-2011 05:34 PM

I stand corrected, I was horribly wrong

DeusExMaxima 05-18-2011 09:09 AM

Both my fog lights AND turning lamps are out. Any idea which fuse is for the turning lamps, also called cornering lamps?

DAlastDON 05-20-2011 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima (Post 8052016)
Both my fog lights AND turning lamps are out. Any idea which fuse is for the turning lamps, also called cornering lamps?

Try fuse #41 in the IPDM. Its a 15amp.