6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

New Tires Fixed My Shimmy - I hope!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 09:18 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

New Tires Fixed My Shimmy - I hope!

I bought my 2004 SE in June of this year. Since day one, it's had the dreaded shimmy. Nissan tried everything (but new tires) but to no avail. I called Nissan Consumer Affairs and told them that I wanted lemon-law paperwork forwarded to me as I had had enough. The rep asked for one more chance and said she would have the dealer put on a set of new tires from a different manufacturer.

Yesterday, the dealer swapped the Goodyear RSA's for Michellin Pilot's. According to the dealer, the new tires received the TSB treatment. Thankfully, the shimmy is gone and things are nice and smooth. I shall see if it returns over time.

Keeping my fingers crossed,

Matt Zagoren
Chicago, IL
Old 11-18-2004, 09:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

nice enjoy.
Old 11-18-2004, 03:51 PM

Matt, just wondering if the dealer that serviced your car was using the GPS9700 Hunter tire balancer. While I still don't have my car back from the dealer (that's another story), that machine diagnosed a bad front driver side tire and when they replaced it (even thought is was the wrong speed rated tire, same brand), I noticed that the shimmy was gone. That machine can find either bad tires or rims, which you probably had. For me, it only took one tire to make the wheel shimmy. Although, I wouldn't have minded getting a whole new set like you, especially the Michelins. Well, if the shimmy comes back, that will be my next option. Thanks for the info though.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yes, my dealer does have the GPS9700. They used this machine on the first set of tires. In fact, they replaced two of the original Goodyears a few months ago. The shimmy was much better but still present. (I notice I said that the dealer had not replaced tires in my original post. That was incorrect. They did, but not with a different brand.)

According to the service manager at my dealership, there is something in the tread of the Goodyears that is causing the shimmy. I don't know if that is true or not - I've heard so many different stories from Nissan Consumer Affairs, I don't know what to believe.
Old 11-18-2004, 08:00 PM

Mine's an SL so I don't have any experience with the Goodyears but the Continentals on mine are not the best tires, from what I've read. When I test drive it tomorrow after they replace the front driver side with the right tire, I'll make sure the shimmy is gone. Unfortunately, there's so much traffic around the area where the dealer is that it's very hard to find a road where I can hit around 55-65 and that is smooth, especially during rush hour. I'll take up your resolution if the new tire still doesn't fix it.

I still can't believe I've had this problem with a Nissan. I'd expect something like this from an American car but not a foreign car. I'll update this thread once I get the car back tomorrow.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:23 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by bablu04
Mine's an SL so I don't have any experience with the Goodyears but the Continentals on mine are not the best tires, from what I've read. When I test drive it tomorrow after they replace the front driver side with the right tire, I'll make sure the shimmy is gone. Unfortunately, there's so much traffic around the area where the dealer is that it's very hard to find a road where I can hit around 55-65 and that is smooth, especially during rush hour. I'll take up your resolution if the new tire still doesn't fix it.

I still can't believe I've had this problem with a Nissan. I'd expect something like this from an American car but not a foreign car. I'll update this thread once I get the car back tomorrow.

Don't forget that your car is assembled in TN. 60% American content and 40% foreign.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:57 AM

Not to be negative but once the pilots wear down and shape into something that can't be balanced the shimmy might come back.

The Pilots seem to be what Nissan is now recommending.

Note though, I've been in contact with two non-forum members with the Pilots and the shimmy came back in full.

Unless there is a TSB showing Pilots, I'm not putting them on. I will not accept a bandaid fix. I will accept the tried and true time and effort Nissan spent on deciding that the Continental tires are what should be on the car. Being an ISO corp. I'm sure they spent many countless hours testing. Nissan recommends the Continentals, by goodness thats what I'm putting on then.

When a patient sees a doctor and is complaining about severe ongoing headaches, does hey just say "here is an asprin, now you'll be ok." ? No, a good doctor at least will try his hardest to find the root cause and treat you accordingly. Whatever the cause, It's investigated to it's root and immediatly treated. This is a simple model, in fact this is the model a car manf. and service center is expected to do.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Nissan recommends Continentals? Where did you see that?
Old 11-19-2004, 09:46 AM

Contis come with the SL. They came with the car, therefore they are recommended.

Nissan Techs are recommending Pilots but with no offical corporate backing if they can't fix your shimmy.

My question to you is where *didn't you* see that?
Old 11-19-2004, 09:47 AM

One of the many reasons It's getting harder to research In large forums. You have to sift through comments like this (and mine no doubt).
Old 11-19-2004, 10:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

No need to be offended. I was just asking where you heard that Nissan recommends Continentals. The SE's (of which mine is one) came with Goodyears. So I guess that one could say that Nissan recommends Goodyears for the SE's.

As far as I am concerned, the Pilot's seem to have done the job for me. I'm not saying its a cure all - only time will tell - I was just reporting my experience with this widely reported issue.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:41 AM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by MZagoren
Nissan recommends Continentals? Where did you see that?
this discussion is so bogus. it is a business. Nissan probably has a standard it will not go below for tires and makes a cotract with the lowest bidder.

I'm sure tests are done, but with the growing amount of sidewall splits in the RSA and shimmy occurances, I have to wonder how thorough they were.

Nissan at least acts unaware of RSA problems. This is b/c they refer them to Goodyear. Unless substantial amounts of damage/deaths occur due to the tires to warrant recall, Nissan will continue ignore problems to get the low bid/standards met.

if Nissan reccomends any tire it would be Yokohamma since that is what they race with.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
this discussion is so bogus. it is a business. Nissan probably has a standard it will not go below for tires and makes a cotract with the lowest bidder.

I'm sure tests are done, but with the growing amuont of sidewall splints in the RSA and shimmy occurances, I have to wonder how thorough they were.

Nissan at least acts unaware of RSA problems. This is b/c they refer them to Goodyear. Unless substantial amounts of damage/deaths occur due to the tires, Nissan would ignore problems to get the low bid/standards met.

if Nissan reccomends any tire it would be Yokohamma since that is what they race with.

Well said.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:33 PM

Well i'm not going to stand idly by and get it in the a$$ any more.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sorry, Jason - didn't mean for it to come across that way.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:05 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by jasonjm
Well i'm not going to stand idly by and get it in the a$$ any more.
perhaps you typed in the wrong thread?
Old 11-19-2004, 01:21 PM

lol no no it's all good.

I'm just agreeing with you that the corporate dudes are fine with signing off with problems like the RSAs.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:22 PM

I remember when some member posted some pics of his tires, I was about to fall off my chair after looking at the damage