6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Help! XM Radio Installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 09:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Help! XM Radio Installation

i purchased my 04 in june 2003... it's an SE with premium/bose audio and sensory package. i was always under the impression my audio system was pre-wired for satellite radio. hence the "SAT" button...

i decided to take the plunge during a maintenance visit to purchase dealership, and ordered XM from the parts department. "note" they needed the VIN number to custom order the part @ $400. when i arrived, i was told i could probably get it installed cheaper elsewhere.

i called a few places about install and got cheap quotes (ranging from $120 - $200). i called the dealership closest to me and they quoted $299. i asked why so much and after careful consideration figured it would be in better hands if something went wrong.

long story short... they couldn't install as i do NOT have prewiring. they didn't start prewiring until 10k cars later. apparently there is a TSB about this, which would have been revealed had parts guy known or checked VIN. so the guy installed everything and took it out... and is now asking for $250 labor!!!

i understand the time vested by the mechanic, but seeing as this is obviously a nissan issue i'm confused.

my question is what is my recourse? can i demand a refund for the part? tell purchase dealership to contact local dealer to reimburse for labor? honestly, i love the car, and although i'm disappointed about the satellite (don't want the aftermarket clutter) i'll deal with it.

any feedback is greatly appreciated. peace...
Old 11-19-2004, 02:53 AM

All you need to know is right here:

http://g-owners.com/article_read.asp?id=19

Parts are the cheapest through Grubbs.

Have a local stereo shop do the install a hell of alot cheaper than the dealer if you can not do it yourself.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-20-2004, 04:17 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

IMOyou are in line for a refund and a waiver on the labor. Contact NNA and write them a "nice" letter. Don't sound too irate and DO NOT say, "I'll never buy nissan again". That is a sure way to get them to do nothing for you. A cust service rep should give you a call about a week or so after they get the letter.

Good luck.
Old 11-20-2004, 04:43 PM

I know that they either told me up front, or there was a sticker on the radio of my car that said that it wasn't upgradable. I bought mine in early April 2003.
Old 11-21-2004, 12:08 PM

No way the dealer will give you a penny refund for not being SAT prewired unless you bought the car with the SAT install option. Kinda sucks that Nissan put the prewired SAT harnass on the later 04 models......but stuff like that happens. Will it be expensive to install it without having the harnass installed stock......at the dealer....hell yes.

I guess I lucked out having a late model 04 that was prewired. Still, you have an option, get a cheap 100 buck roady that is plug and play. I know that is not what you are wanting to hear though. Would have been nice if ALL Maximas came with the harnass prewired and the RECEIVER installed but there would be the option of XM or Sirius that would be a problem if they installed on unit, plus some people would not want to pay for that option if they never plan on getting the SAT activated.

You can still use the link I posted above for some good info on adding a SAT receiver if you are still wanting one though. If you have the time and paitence, you can do the install yourself....or have a stereo shop do it for you that will be a hell of alot cheaper than the dealer will charge.

Some car manufacturers have stock stereos prewired for add on CD changers....they learned it is a waste of money to use a part that some people will not use. You know where I am coming from. But than again, I am cheap and my budget Roady XM works just fine for now until I have money to waste and add the receiver from Grubbs to clean things up and intergrate everything. Even adding the PAC adapter seemed too much to me....would rather spend 170 bucks more and get the receiver. Again, just my opinion.
Old 11-21-2004, 02:10 PM

If you want a free sirius sat system, check the thread that I started about Sirius yesterday. You have to pay a year up front for service, but it is a good deal