6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

third set of rotors only 35678 miles

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 11:08 AM

third set of rotors only 35678 miles

i have many more problems with the car
nissan refuses to do the work under warranty
thanks paul
Old 12-13-2004, 06:47 AM

Rotors are not generally considered to be a warranty item, since they fall in the category of things that normally wear out with use. Yeah, there were some stories about warpage, but if yours have been replaced 2 or 3 times already I think they have been pretty generous. Most people never go through a set of rotors in a car's normal lifetime.

This is just my opinion, but I think some people interpret the Maxima's power to mean it should perform like a a NASCAR racer, and they get pist if the tranny, tires, brakes and other components don't hold up to susbstantial abuse. I've even seen people say Nissan shouldn't have put this much performance into the car if the brakes and tires and struts, etc. can't take it. That's fine if you want a $40,000 or $50,000 car, but this is a car you can buy for under 30 grand!

If the OEM rotors aren't doing it for you, spring for some heavier-duty aftermarket items.

Mike
Old 12-13-2004, 06:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I try to be very gently with my brakes and I ended up having to have mine turned at 11.5K miles, and once in a while (at 16K), I notice a little brake shudder (again) here and there.

What brand of after market rotors would you recommend? Because if the cost difference between after market and OEM Nissan rotors isn't too much, I'd be more inclined to purchase after market ones when I have to replace these...
Old 12-13-2004, 08:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Brake pulsation

I have been driving for 35 yrs and the have been working at dealerships since 1977. I have owned or leased many new cars and have never had to replace or resurface rotors on any of them. I have 28k on my Max SL and the brakes pulsate terribly.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:08 AM
SuPeRmOd

everyone know Nissan brakes suck. warranty on them is no more than 16k miles. so of course work is denied under warranty. Personally I'd be fine with no warranty b/c many people cannot drive and stomp on the brakes.

you wonder why our low profiles don't have a mileage warranty? awesome people do burnouts in them.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:17 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by NismoMax80

everyone know Nissan brakes suck. warranty on them is no more than 16k miles. so of course work is denied under warranty. Personally I'd be fine with no warranty b/c many people cannot drive and stomp on the brakes.

you wonder why our low profiles don't have a mileage warranty? awesome people do burnouts in them.
Nope, brake warranty is 12K miles/1 year...
Old 12-13-2004, 11:55 AM

Well actually, the 12,000 mile "warranty" on our brakes is a 'courtesy' Nissan has extended to accommodate owners complaining of brake problems. They wouldn't ordinarily have covered them, instead telling you that brakes wear out depending on use, just like windshield wiper blades and tires, and aren't a defect in materials or workmanship as defined in the warranty. Try getting the brakes on your Chevy covered by warranty and watch the dealers laugh at you.

I don't have any recommendations for aftermarket rotors, since I've never had to buy any in my 40 years of driving. Others on this board can recommend some brands and sources.

Mike
Old 12-14-2004, 05:20 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Well actually, the 12,000 mile "warranty" on our brakes is a 'courtesy' Nissan has extended to accommodate owners complaining of brake problems. They wouldn't ordinarily have covered them, instead telling you that brakes wear out depending on use, just like windshield wiper blades and tires, and aren't a defect in materials or workmanship as defined in the warranty. Try getting the brakes on your Chevy covered by warranty and watch the dealers laugh at you.
Do you have anywhere that points to this "courtesy" from Nissan? I can't find it on any paperwork, it's not listed on their website or my dealer's, and I'm headed out there tomorrow because my brakes are pulsating at just 10k miles...

Thanks
Old 12-15-2004, 09:04 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Well nevermind that... I went in and had them inspect the brakes, and supposedly they're 65% front and 70% rear. Notwithstanding the weird percentages (seeing how front is always much, much lower than rear), I know that there's something going on that they're not seeing or that they didn't check... the brakes are starting to pulsate softly during slow braking, and I'm getting some shuddering on the steering wheel at highway speeds.

Seems like it's time to go look for a mechanic to take a look and do the work, since I doubt I want to pay the dealership's retarded labor rates...

And just like I thought, rotors and pads are wear items, so they're not covered under any warranty (12k miles or not). Not that it matters though... if the rotors are warped I'm gonna talk to the service manager or something... it's unheard of that rotors would warp that quickly. Even in my other car, which is a sports coupe and I drive much harder, the fronts don't need replacing for at least 25k miles.