6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

boston area pricing/dealership experiences

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 12:15 PM

boston area pricing/dealership experiences

After spending the last few days going back and forth on the Max vs TL, I've decided to go with the Max. I believe the TL is a better car overall but the 3k+ price difference is important to me. I also like the fact that the Max is much more roomier than any of the entry level luxury sport sedans.

Some questions...

Anyone have anything to say (positive or negative) about a particular boston area nissan dealer. Is there anyone I should absolutely stay away from?

On the day after christmas, I plan on sending out an email to every local dealer saying "I'd like to buy an 05 SE with driver preffered package for ____ and I'm willing to choose from the colors on the lot. etc etc."
I'm hoping to leverage some month/quarter/year end sales pressure in hopes that they would discount the car further than what they normally do.

What do you guys think I should put for a number to fill in the above blank?

Do you think another approach would be better in hopes of getting a great end of year deal?

Thanks,
Slink
Old 12-17-2004, 02:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

go to edmunds.com and price out what you want. consumerreports.com offers a report for $10-$20. I got one and it saved me $1000. Well worth the money. You need 2 weeks or so to shop around and take a few test drives. This is a major purchase so spend the time to get a good deal. You should not pay over invoice. A good rule of thumb is that you should be able to walk OTD for 2-3% under sticker. If the dealer won't do that take your money elsewhere. Also make sure to negotiate a free car loaner for when you have to bring it in the shop for more than a day. Free car washes if they have the facilities and possibly some free oil changes.

I was able to get lifetime free oil changes and car washes from my dealer. The free loaner would have been nice considering how often my car has been in the shop, that's why I added it to the list. Beat the dealer up...don't let them make you think they are losing money on the deal. That is pure BS. Good Luck
Old 12-17-2004, 02:44 PM

I had a great experience with Frost Nissan... They offered me a much better deal than Clay Nissan. I went to a third dealership out in Marlborough but they wouldn't talk prices with me on my first visit.

I started looking for a manual SE with the navigation system in June, 2003. The car was pretty new to the market at that point. I sat with the people from Clay for an hour or so and they couldn't come up with a decent offer. It was pretty obvious that they didn't know much about the option packages for the Maxima. As in, to get a manual se with nav, you had to get the rear console. I was also not happy with what they offered for my trade in. So, I left and told them to call me when they could get their act together and a decent offer.

Two days later (June 30), I went to Frost. Within ten minutes they offered me a deal that was $3000 better than Clay. So, I bit... I paid ~$500 over invoice for the car and they paid ~$500 over blue book trade in value for my car.

All in all, I think being in the right place at the right time was a big factor, but Frost was better prepared and able to make a better deal for me. They are definitely worth checking out.

Clay came off as disorganized... In all fairness the 04 Maxima was pretty new at the time.
Old 12-18-2004, 01:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had a great experience at Kelly nissan at Lynfield,MA.I have spent 2 hrs at the dealer and was home with the car.I did some homework before looked at edmunds and requested few quotes and i ended up paying 600$ less invoice.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:33 PM

my max

Well i bought a 04 from a guy i know..he has a dealer however here in michigan...if you wanted to get one from him you would have to drive...but i got asteal and so could you...i have everything but nav for about 28,600 + tax....rubber floormats, leather, sunroof etc..sticker was like 33,700 i think...so that could be a gauge for you
Old 12-20-2004, 06:45 AM

I got my 04 Max at Nissan of Natick (I think it has moved to Framingham now)... I *don't* recommend them. This is the second Max I have gotten from them (leased a 2000, and bought my 2004). As a repeat customer, you'd think I would be treated well... unfortunately I didn't know as much as I thought I did, and got screwed. Paid probably $3000 more than I should have, and got stuck with a high interest rate. There were a couple deceptive practices that I won't get screwed by again.

Anyway... talk to as many dealerships as you can and find who can give you the best price.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:41 AM

Kelly Nissan of Lynnfield and Quirk Nissan in Quincy. Both seem to be pretty equal in price and service.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:52 AM

Kelly Nissan of Beverly (as well as Lynnfield) are exceptional. I have bought eight Nissans from them over the years, and they have always been great. My wife and I are recognized by many of the staff who welcome us by name.

I have heard rumors that Quirk isn't 100% above board, but they are just rumors (things like delivering vehicles with scratches).
Old 01-04-2005, 06:56 AM

It's been 3 years, but I had a good experience buying an Altima from Glick Nissan in Westboro. They quoted me an excellent price over email and didn't try any dirty tricks when I was signing the papers. The salesman (Paul K., don't know if he's still there) was very honest and helpful.

I now get my car serviced at Colonial Nissan in Medford, and I find them a bit high-pressure, but they do a good job with the service and have performed any warranty service I've asked for. They seem like a good outfit and I would recommend them.

I've had bad experiences with the service department at Frost. They charged me over $600 to replace the alternator in my NX2000, and then they refused to do warranty service on my Altima because I didn't buy it there. I would strongly recommend you stay away from them because of their poor service department.