6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

How do you remove the tail lights?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 02:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How do you remove the tail lights?

How do you remove the tail lights on an 05 Maxima.? Any potantial problems I need to know about.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:48 PM

Do u mind If I ask why ?
Old 01-16-2005, 02:54 PM

Sure. Im gonna tint the lights and I dont want over spray. Easier to tint when they are off the car.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:54 PM

Hey, you're in Arcadia, about 20 min away. Wanna help? J/K!!!
Old 01-16-2005, 02:59 PM

DeusEx, sorry, I wish I could help u out, but I've been doing research about the LED conversion on my tailights, so that's why I asked.
Old 01-16-2005, 03:07 PM
*moderator*

Originally Posted by mvb4704
DeusEx, sorry, I wish I could help u out, but I've been doing research about the LED conversion on my tailights, so that's why I asked.

Have you made any progress on LED research? I've been wanting to look into it but just haven't had time...
Old 01-16-2005, 03:09 PM

What is the LED conversion?
Old 01-16-2005, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by jsmithsole
Have you made any progress on LED research? I've been wanting to look into it but just haven't had time...
jsmithsole, I'm still in the progress of doing the LED research and until I was reading this story, http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=204892
I'm sure we can come up something like that, but we just need to know how to remove the taillights. Let me know what u think ???
Old 01-16-2005, 03:24 PM

I bet my lights would look really really good with tint AND LED conversion. I still need to know how those f&*%in lights come out. m running out of daylight today
Old 01-16-2005, 04:30 PM

I figured it out. Piece of cake once you KNOW how. If you wanna know the process, email me.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:38 PM
SuPeRmOd

IIRC: just undo the snaps over the carpet by the tails. unscrew fasteners underneath. tug on entire tail assembly straight out (including body colored frame). do the cargo hooks come off? I can't remember.

I replaced my reverse bulbs over the summer. if i forgot something please add.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:41 PM

I tried to remove the colored piece. It wont come off. I had to f*&kin tape it
Old 01-16-2005, 08:04 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
I tried to remove the colored piece. It wont come off. I had to f*&kin tape it
colored piece? tape what? the tail glass is attached to the frame around it.

why not just buy the tint film? if you get cited, you'll need a pair of entire assemblies.
Old 01-17-2005, 12:06 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
IIRC: just undo the snaps over the carpet by the tails. unscrew fasteners underneath. tug on entire tail assembly straight out (including body colored frame). do the cargo hooks come off? I can't remember.

I replaced my reverse bulbs over the summer. if i forgot something please add.
That's exactly how I removed mine to switch the reverse bulbs. If you remove the taillamp, you may also be able to remedy the alignment problem. The taillamps on most 6th gens leave a larger gap on the passenger side between the taillamp trim and the bumper piece. Removing the taillamp and readjusting should fix this.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:32 PM
*moderator*

Originally Posted by mvb4704
jsmithsole, I'm still in the progress of doing the LED research and until I was reading this story, http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=204892
I'm sure we can come up something like that, but we just need to know how to remove the taillights. Let me know what u think ???

It seems the way the bulbs are placed on our cars, you wouldn't be able to insert a flat panel for a few rows of LED's. Seems like you would have to do a lot of customization work...are you prepared for the job? I don't think I'm that savvy.
Seems like this bulb would work as a quick fix since they put light out in more than one direction. I had LED's if my F350 and they only directed light straight back and they weren't very bright at all because there was no reflection inside the tailight lens itself. (it was only a 10 or 12 LEd bulb though)
Check out the 24 LED 1157 Bulbs, and let me know what you think...
http://www.superbrightleds.com/1157.htm
Old 01-17-2005, 10:47 PM

what do these look like on a car? Im putting on light tint to minimize the likelihood of police citations. I am putting on final coatings tonight and then Ill clear coat tomorrow.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:58 PM
*moderator*

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
what do these look like on a car? Im putting on light tint to minimize the likelihood of police citations. I am putting on final coatings tonight and then Ill clear coat tomorrow.

These being LED's or the tint film?
The LED's, see the thread attached above or the G35, and most stop lights (at least out here in cali)
As for tint film, there's a link around somewhere as well...
Hope I answered your question!!
Old 01-19-2005, 03:20 PM
KC's FINEST

Have you guys seen these?
Im gonna give'em a try.

Old 01-19-2005, 06:37 PM

I didnt want tint film because I cant regulate the darkness. I want to darken, some but not a lot. Ill post pics when Im done. I had to redo it. The spray isnt that easy to make look good. Grrrrr.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:17 PM
KC's FINEST

Dues, are you using Niteshades or something else? I did my neighbors accord with a can of spray tint. They sell it in hobby shops. Its used or R/C bodies, and it worked great...
Old 01-19-2005, 07:44 PM
*moderator*

Originally Posted by KCmaxx
Im gonna give'em a try.

Very interesting KC, let us know who it works out...and of course this goes without saying...post pics!!!
Old 01-20-2005, 03:04 AM

KC, I used that same stuff in the model shop. I removed the tint and started from scratch. The second time I put the tint on, I sanded the lights first this time with 600 grit. Then I reapplied the tint. Seems better now. Still same problem in that the tint was getting small craters in it. Im sure it was my fault cuz it takes the right touch to do paint right. I think i can wet sand most of the imperfections out and then clear coat the lights and then they will be fine. Will let you know and I will post pics too.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:37 AM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by KCmaxx
Im gonna give'em a try.
can you give us some info? at least price, and place to buy would be nice. what a tease...
Old 01-20-2005, 03:57 PM

Well, round two of my tinting turned out better, but still not happy with it. There are pock mocks in the paint after about the 4th coat. What am I doing wrong???? Ill try to sand with 1000 grit and then clear coat it to see if that will cure it
Old 01-20-2005, 04:59 PM
KC's FINEST

Show some pics of your problems. Are you laying the lights down flat?
Old 01-20-2005, 05:45 PM

Lights are flat. Its like the paint gathers and leave divots, like a golf ball
Old 01-21-2005, 08:07 AM

Well I smoothed out the tint with 800, 1000, and 1500 grit wet sandpaper. First light came out nice after clear coat on it. Second light has a rough look to clear coat. I kept tryintg to get second coat to smooth out but it wont get smooth. Do I have to wet sand the clear coat and reapply until I get a smooth coat?
Old 01-21-2005, 11:17 AM
KC's FINEST

Damn... thats alot of sanding. I guess you pretty much have to do it now huh? I never had any probs. You might not have shaken it up enough. Let us know.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:41 AM

can you give us some info? at least price, and place to buy would be nice. what a tease...
That's the Spiderlite from Anron. Haven't seen them outside of SEMA.

They are the sex though... without question.

http://www.sema.org/images/33501.jpg
Old 01-21-2005, 12:00 PM

I shook the cans up for quite a bit. Im puzzled. ANyway, they are installed now. I will take some pics and let me know what you think. I think it looks great except if u come close to the car. I will wait a couple days, and then try to buff out the roughness with rubbing compound, then polish and wax. Im trying to figure out how to post pics. I have a yahoo photo album. Will that make it easier to post?
Old 01-21-2005, 01:26 PM

Start a cardomain page and link pics from there. It's free and a decent site to show off the MAX... www.cardomain.com
Old 01-21-2005, 06:00 PM

Here is the web address http://spiderlite.com/

They will not be available for purchase until March, at least that is what i was told when i called today SPIDERLITE INC.

Old 01-21-2005, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by jcberb
Here is the web address http://spiderlite.com/

They will not be available for purchase until March, at least that is what i was told when i called today SPIDERLITE INC.
Did they say how much? And which model will fit the 6th gen... because I'm SO there when they come out...
Old 01-22-2005, 06:50 AM

Viguera;
When I gave them a call he threw me a ball park figure of any where between 35-50 dollars for one fixture, depending on the size and model. BUT...the problem is; they have the correct replacement for our bulb number, but the sizes they currently have, do not seem to fit our Max. I really do not know the design of our tail-light assemblies very well, but the bulbs are encased in a plastic housing inside the tail-light (I am sure you know this) I am not sure if that can be removed...but with that the spiderlite can’t completely expand. I wrote them yesterday and asked if they were going to make different models that were smaller, or designed to fit our particular vehicles. Waiting for a response. He (Juan was the guy I spoke with) did seem eager to speak with me after I told him that I discovered his product through this forum. He mentioned if we were unable to purchase these lights from local vendors, then he would set it up to where we can purchase directly from them.

Originally Posted by viguera
Did they say how much? And which model will fit the 6th gen... because I'm SO there when they come out...
Old 01-22-2005, 12:49 PM

I wetsanded the one light with 1500 grit n then polished with Meguiar's Step 2 Polish. Looks much better. Im happy again. I have even had compliments from people that see them. They ask, How did you do that!!! Right on
Old 01-22-2005, 05:40 PM
*moderator*

I was looking at the tailight today and I don't see any way the spyderlight could work in our cars without doing some mods inside the the housing. Both lights are housed in a cup like shape whereas the light couldn't "open up" once inside, as jcberb said above.
I'm going to try these and see how they look:
(2nd one down 1157 24 LED bulb)
Any thoughts?
Old 01-22-2005, 06:58 PM

jsmithsole, I think they look good, i had purchase bulbs similiar to those, but the ones i bought at the time i had my mazda were crap and only illuminated in the direction they were facing. From the diagram on the website it seems the ones you want to purchase do not have that problem. I wish there was a short video clip with them lit up. I might even order a pair to try them out.

Originally Posted by jsmithsole
I was looking at the tailight today and I don't see any way the spyderlight could work in our cars without doing some mods inside the the housing. Both lights are housed in a cup like shape whereas the light couldn't "open up" once inside, as jcberb said above.
I'm going to try these and see how they look:
(2nd one down 1157 24 LED bulb)
Any thoughts?
Old 01-23-2005, 07:51 AM
KC's FINEST

Sorry guys, I couldnt find the info on the lights sson enough... Like others have said, it dosent look like their gonna work.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:57 AM
*moderator*

Originally Posted by jcberb
jsmithsole, I think they look good, i had purchase bulbs similiar to those, but the ones i bought at the time i had my mazda were crap and only illuminated in the direction they were facing. From the diagram on the website it seems the ones you want to purchase do not have that problem. I wish there was a short video clip with them lit up. I might even order a pair to try them out.
Agreed, I had the uni directional ones in my previous truck and they sucked, I left them in just because they were different.
I'm going to try and search them out today.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:45 AM

I fimally have pics of my tinted lights, both before and after. I need someone to let me e mail them so they can post cuz i dont know how.

Quick Reply: How do you remove the tail lights?