6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Test drove a 2005 SE today...thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 04:34 PM

Test drove a 2005 SE today...thoughts

Hey guys. I'm a two time maxima owner, who currently drives a 2001 SE automatic. I'm looking at buying either an Acura TSX or another Nissan Maxima, so I went to test out the new Maxi today.

My initial thoughts are that I loved just about everything about it. It was way better than I expected it to be. For all of those people who say that the 6th generation isn't "really" a Maxima, I strongly disagree. Maxima's have always challenged conventional design elements. That's what the branding means to those of us over 35 years old. Some styling works, some doesn't. This car was awesome. Comparing it to my fully loaded 2001 SE, the new Max has a more aggressive exterior, and better exterior lines make it more aerodynamic (and easier to clean). The fuel economy is better, the interior fit and finish is better, the leather seats are WAY BETTER, the climate control is better, the engine is faster, and the 6sp manual is now more readily available (although not common).

I was leaning towards the TSX before my test drive today, but that has totally changed. I cannot believe how fast the Maxima feels. So many people talk about 0-60 and 1/4 mile track times, but so much of car ownership is based on "feel." This car feels fast, especially with the 6sp manual. It's feels like a blend of sport sedan and cruiser. Much like a Caddy, actually, only with much better reliability. I also gained a lot of respect for this particular dealership. The sales department took me on a 30 minute test drive and answered all my questions. Additionally, the salesman honestly told me that (if it were him) he wouldn't get the NAV system, but instead get an aftermarket NAV that you can remove from the car and take with you. The Acura dealership has treated me as though I should feel "lucky" to have such a car, and finding the one that I want is "rare."

Pros: engine, power, styling, low finance rates, fit and finish, dealership integrity compared with Acura, reliability, unique, skyline roof. Rear bucket seats, interior space

cons: clutch is good but too long, suede fabric trim on dash & doors seems out of place, grill needs work, NAV system not as good as touch screens w/voice commands, only average cornering, maybe too much fake alloy interior trim.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by BobbyG123
Hey guys. I'm a two time maxima owner, who currently drives a 2001 SE automatic. I'm looking at buying either an Acura TSX or another Nissan Maxima, so I went to test out the new Maxi today.

My initial thoughts are that I loved just about everything about it. It was way better than I expected it to be. For all of those people who say that the 6th generation isn't "really" a Maxima, I strongly disagree. Maxima's have always challenged conventional design elements. That's what the branding means to those of us over 35 years old. Some styling works, some doesn't. This car was awesome. Comparing it to my fully loaded 2001 SE, the new Max has a more aggressive exterior, and better exterior lines make it more aerodynamic (and easier to clean). The fuel economy is better, the interior fit and finish is better, the leather seats are WAY BETTER, the climate control is better, the engine is faster, and the 6sp manual is now more readily available (although not common).

I was leaning towards the TSX before my test drive today, but that has totally changed. I cannot believe how fast the Maxima feels. So many people talk about 0-60 and 1/4 mile track times, but so much of car ownership is based on "feel." This car feels fast, especially with the 6sp manual. It's feels like a blend of sport sedan and cruiser. Much like a Caddy, actually, only with much better reliability. I also gained a lot of respect for this particular dealership. The sales department took me on a 30 minute test drive and answered all my questions. Additionally, the salesman honestly told me that (if it were him) he wouldn't get the NAV system, but instead get an aftermarket NAV that you can remove from the car and take with you. The Acura dealership has treated me as though I should feel "lucky" to have such a car, and finding the one that I want is "rare."

Pros: engine, power, styling, low finance rates, fit and finish, dealership integrity compared with Acura, reliability, unique, skyline roof. Rear bucket seats, interior space

cons: clutch is good but too long, suede fabric trim on dash & doors seems out of place, grill needs work, NAV system not as good as touch screens w/voice commands, only average cornering, maybe too much fake alloy interior trim.
I really liked your post. I agree and think the 6th gen Maxima's must be test driven to truly understand how good they are. I originallu went in to nuy an Altima which I did not like at all after the test drive but the Maxima I test drove next impressed me so much I just bought it. Now had the car a few weeks and loving every thing about it. I actually didn't know if I initially cared that much for the suede and skyview features but after I absorbed the whole car experience I actually love both the features. Definayely different and unique to say the least.

Go for the Maxima and leave the Hondas for those who didn't bother to test drive the Maxima first.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:14 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Clutch

I have about 7k on my max, the clutch is much better now. At first it was a bit long, chew it up a bit!

Old 02-02-2005, 08:22 PM
SuPeRmOd

see, I told you to test drive them. So this maen you're getting one? I wouldn't want the 5th gens to see your post (too many still in denial).
Old 02-02-2005, 09:15 PM

Yeah. Agree with your feedback about '05 Maxima SE. Except one thing: I believe the cornering is great despite its size and weight, IF you dont stay on the gas during a hard turn.

I went to dealership looking for a good V6 Altima, but after a quick test drive, my mind went completely blank with only one thing in my mind: MAXIMA!

I love my new car!
Old 02-02-2005, 10:07 PM
Maxima addiction cured w/ the GS pill

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
I wouldn't want the 5th gens to see your post (too many still in denial).
Hey! I like the 6th gen! Don't make a generalization for the majority of the 5th gen crew.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:44 PM
Banned

05 Maxima vs 05 TL : you will have hard time making a decision.

05 Maxima vs 05 TSX: I'd get the maxima in a heartbeat.

my friend had 04 TSX as a loaner. so i got to test-drive/abuse it.
before the test drive, I really liked the TSX.
after the test drive, TSX is absolutely over-priced sedan.
what I've noticed: way too small back seat, weak acceleration, nice vtec
4cyl engine but still it's 4 cyl engine.

tho it had much better fit and finish than the maxima.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by HammerDown
I have about 7k on my max, the clutch is much better now. At first it was a bit long, chew it up a bit!
I agree. I have about 24K on my 04 Max and the clutch is fine. You may want to consider the aftermarket bracket that shortens the throw on the 6-speed gear shift. I don't have it, but others on this site have spoken highly about it.

That discussion of the short-throw shifter is on this thread:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=365329

You should also check out the posts here:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=370594

Finally, you should also check out the comments by lightonthehill and me near the end of this thread about manual trannies vs the manual "mode" on the Max's auto trannie (and this will take you to the end of that thread, so you need to scroll up for all of it):
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread...04&goto=newpost
Old 02-03-2005, 07:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I am a Nissan fan to the bone. I am always trying to get folks on to them. The first time I test drove the 6th Gen was last year when dealerships were really proud of them. So, I waited and I have 700+ miles on mine. It still shocks me to realize that I am the owner of such a fantastic machine. There is a thing or 2 I don't like, but it's so far outweighed. My parents haven't seen it yet adn they will freak out when they see it. (You should save your money rather than spend it on a flashy car)... I love that the backseat is so large. The car itself rides almost as good as a 5 Series in terms of smoothness. I also love that the car just tickles your foot and says "SLAM ME TO THE FLOOR, BIG BOY"...and you do. Hot car!
Old 02-03-2005, 08:09 AM

i think a Maxima would cross better to an Acura TL mnore so then a TSX....but obviosuly that is up to you.

the TL is a very nice car....great sound system, and a better Nav system then what i have seen on the Max, but i prefer the look of the max and all other componets that make my choice easy
Old 02-03-2005, 08:13 AM

Two letters to make this decision easier.

VQ

Honda's = torqueless.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Atomic_Ed
I originallu went in to nuy an Altima which I did not like at all after the test drive but the Maxima I test drove next impressed me so much I just bought it.
Me too - I did the same thing. Went in and test drove an Altima first, hated it. Then tried a Max "just for kicks" - liked it so much went back that afternoon and made a deal. ...and this was after test driving a slew of other cars (03 Lincoln LS, Caddy CTS, VW Pissant, Acura TSX, Toyota Camry, +++)
Old 02-03-2005, 05:49 PM

Lovin it

My 04 Max has 6K (Kilometers) and will be in for its first oil change next week (I should get a cake ). Being a previous 98 5SP Max owner I was delighted with the new Max. I love its looks and power and the heated steering wheel up here in Canada. When I first got my baby she was clunky going into 2nd and 3rd and I was not happy. I also had the shimmy problem. I took Maxie into the dealership and they fixed the shimmy. They said nothing was wrong with the tranny. I even went out with the mechanic and he was shifting hard but said it was fine. Ever since it has been shifting much better. Either they made a cable adjustment and did not tell me or as mentioned by someone earlier that you need to let it chew up a bit.

Everyone is now jealous of me and Maxie and we are just soaking it in. The beamer crowd can stick theirs up the yahoo as they are a million look alikes on the road. The max is an original!

Good luck
Old 02-03-2005, 06:02 PM

i took a TSX out for a bit... it is a nice car.. a lot of standard features.. leather, heated seats.. sound, sun roof... HID.. but the power is not there.. the wheels are smaller (then the SE).. not as spacious... etc.. so my choice was easy.. i went with the maxima.. i can do w/o leather and HID.. but i cannot do w/o the engine.... that engine sold me on the max..
Old 02-03-2005, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by homerjay4242
i can do w/o leather and HID.. but i cannot do w/o the engine.... that engine sold me on the max..
LOL well put!

Old 02-03-2005, 07:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Definately go with the Maxima. The TSX is a 4-cylinder with only 200 HP. The Maxima gives you a V-6 with 265 HP. That's a big difference to me. I've never test driven a TSX before (only the Acura TL), but I can imagine it couldn't compare to the Max. I don't think you can go wrong with the Max. I just ordered my 2005 Maxima a week ago, and can't wait till it comes in.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by aliti19
Hey! I like the 6th gen! Don't make a generalization for the majority of the 5th gen crew.
I agree both are good cars....especially us 5.5 genners we don't have anything to envy about the 6th gen.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:18 AM
rmb

I was in the same process before the Acura dealers and their absurd "rare car" BS got to be too much. Plus the TSX is the acura loaner car in most dealerships.... Remember it's just an Accord....

I bought an Altima SE-R. Maxima motor + closer ratio 6spd + handling you wouldn't believe on a stock car. Just don't pay attention to the sticker price. They're going for invoice(roughly 28k w/ side airbags/TCS). I didn't like the boaty Max.... Test drive one... you'll see....

-RMB
Old 02-06-2005, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by rmb
I was in the same process before the Acura dealers and their absurd "rare car" BS got to be too much. Plus the TSX is the acura loaner car in most dealerships.... Remember it's just an Accord....

I bought an Altima SE-R. Maxima motor + closer ratio 6spd + handling you wouldn't believe on a stock car. Just don't pay attention to the sticker price. They're going for invoice(roughly 28k w/ side airbags/TCS). I didn't like the boaty Max.... Test drive one... you'll see....

-RMB
Say what you want...the Max is a superior car if you value a combination of style, luxury, performance and uniqueness.

The Altima V6 and SE-R is a fantastic machine, but to the average "joe" on the street the Altima is a rental car and there are hundreds of thousands on the street.

No comparison in my book, that's why I bought a Max.

It is a free country, and enjoy your Altima rmb!
Old 02-06-2005, 11:58 AM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

Originally Posted by rmb

-RMB
you must have drove the sl, my se is as stiff as my 02 was with tokico struts and dropped with eibachs. hardly no roll with the se, not bad for a heavy car. anyways good luck with the alti...

Old 02-06-2005, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Tek-Niq
you must have drove the sl, my se is as stiff as my 02 was with tokico struts and dropped with eibachs. hardly no roll with the se, not bad for a heavy car. anyways good luck with the alti...

Yup! I am also a fan of the SE sport tuned suspensions too.