6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Newbie in the forum, NEEDS SOME SCHOOLING!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 07:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Newbie in the forum, NEEDS SOME SCHOOLING!

hello,

ive only just been in this board for less than a day...ive been car hunting since last month and my craving to have a ride has gone bad. first choice was an accord...and then i came across the maxima, all i said was wow.

to get to the point, im choosing between buying a 6th gen 04 or 05, preferably used since itll be my first ride and im ready to pay for it for the next 4-5 yrs. i think the maxima has a lot of comfort to offer in my opinion, so im shredding my options to 3 cars being one is the maxima...

what is the diffrence between the 04 and 05 models? ive been to websites to compare, theyre pretty much the same unless there are some things that they dont tackle much i.e. extra features for 05s---what are THEY?

thanks, id appreciate some responses.
Old 02-26-2005, 07:28 PM
SuPeRmOd

if you're going to pay 4-5 years, make sure you compare overall price of both years. usually a new car loan will get a lower % than used. I'm sure if you look hard enough you could find a great deal on an 04 though.

New 05's get traction standard. DPP package now includes auto-dim side mirrors. Plus new interior trim: 05 shiny silver vs. 04 dull, smooth silver plastic that scrachtes easier. Besides that, nothing.

I'm sure if you test drive one, you'll forget the other two cars.
Old 02-26-2005, 07:38 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

You will be glad you posted this. As an owner of an 04, I would definately say go for the 05. The first year of ANY model is going to have problems. Scroll thru the links here and you will see.

One thing im not sure of yet, is if they fixed the torque steer problem for the 05. The 04s have a pretty hard pull when you nail it. It could be worse, but its there.

As for the Accord. Go drive both. That should answer your question. Best car for the money on the road is the Max...im my humble opinion
Old 02-26-2005, 07:43 PM
SuPeRmOd

you can't "fix" torque steer. unless you go to RWD. the more power w/ FWD, the more torque steer.

My late build 04 has only had the strut problem. now I have 05 struts.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:04 PM

only500 - The traction control became standard on the '05s effective in November. Only a small percentage of '05s built before November have traction control.

The '05s have what is supposed to be a more advanced airbag system than the '04.

Whichever Maxima you are considering, drive it before buying to check for shimmy. Find a lightly travelled road, ease the speed up gradually from around 30 mph to 60 mph (faster if possible) holding the steering wheel VERY LIGHTLY with the fingertips at the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock position. Watch for a side-to-side vibration of the steering wheel. If it (the dreaded shimmy) is clearly there, skip that car. Most other Maxima problems can be addressed, but the shimmy can sometimes be very difficult to analyze and fix.
Old 02-27-2005, 05:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i will test drive one for sure!so anything else...the 04s are the same with the 05 huh?

yes, il make sure to look out for the costs as i know used cars have high interests than brand news...prolly when the 06s come out, the 05s will go down. (BTW, are they planning to do the 6th gen a 5 yr thing or 3-4 years only?????)

this is what really put me into looking at a maxima to be honest, the interior:

( ABOVE anything else, i want comfort when i ride in my car, i dont want the racy athmosphere...i want the luxury and relaxed athmosphere...sexy?lol, that would need a woman. )

Memory System
Heated Steering Wheel and Seats
Information Centre
Bose®-powered Audio System
Dual Zone Automatic Climate Control
DVD-based Nissan Navigation---which is an option, i have a pocket pc GPS so i wont need it.

^those listed above are all standard right(04s and 05s)? just except for the navigation?

if il buy an 05, il be looking at the 5 seater SE to be honest. there are some options such as:

Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC)5 - A/T only
High Intensity Discharge (HID) bi-xenon projector---i know i could buy an aftermarket one for a cheaper price
Power sliding glass sunroof with pre-select switch
Power tilt and telescoping steering column
Driver’s seat power lumbar support and 4-way power
Memory system
Driver’s seat entry/exit system (A/T only)
Leather seating surfaces
Gated automatic transmission shifter (A/T only)

---i didnt post the rest since i wont honestly need them, but some of these options might be interesting.

compared to the accord, the maxima is REALLY loaded just with its standard features.

answers will be appreciated, thanks again!
Old 02-27-2005, 06:02 AM
Banned

04 here, build date 06/03..BTW does anyone know when the 1st 04 maxima rolled off the line? Is there a way of knowing what number yours is? I think it would be cool to know. Anyway, Ive had no MAJOR problems with my sorta early made 04..No strut problem, no scratches on the console because im careful. The 05 has a cigarette outlet on the horizontal portion of the console in the upper right corner near the shifter. It has a cheezy looking '12V DC' plastic cap on it that in my opinion looks chinzy. The 'Improved' console material looks more durable, more metallic, but I dont think it matches the frost leather as well as what I have in my 04. The chrome door pulls do not look good, the 04's door trim matched ones look way better. Anyway, 30k on my 04 and I don't wish I waited till '05. Auto dimming sideviews on the 05 is something I wish my 04 had...bc i wont tint my windows..so, thats about the only thing I wish I had.
Old 02-27-2005, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by only500made
hello,

ive only just been in this board for less than a day...ive been car hunting since last month and my craving to have a ride has gone bad. first choice was an accord...and then i came across the maxima, all i said was wow.

to get to the point, im choosing between buying a 6th gen 04 or 05, preferably used since itll be my first ride and im ready to pay for it for the next 4-5 yrs. i think the maxima has a lot of comfort to offer in my opinion, so im shredding my options to 3 cars being one is the maxima...

what is the diffrence between the 04 and 05 models? ive been to websites to compare, theyre pretty much the same unless there are some things that they dont tackle much i.e. extra features for 05s---what are THEY?

Get a late model build 04 and you will get a nice deal on them. Resale sucks on the 6th gen Maximas. If I was to do it over again, would have waited a year and got a nice low mile 04 with executive package and every option and saved alot on what I paid for my brand new SE.

04-05....changes are small. New smart airbag, traction control standard, and interior cosmetic changes are about it. Look around at some LOW mile 04 still under warranty with tons of options and NAV. There are plenty of them out there sitting on dealer lots they are just waiting to move. My experience from buying my 04 Max new off the Nissan lot....should have waited. Also, I still would have got a used 04 even after the 05 model year changes.....nothing major....cosmetic.
Old 02-27-2005, 03:28 PM
GrandPa

I saw it
I brought it
I Love it

No major problems for 34,000 miles, Some scratches on the console and that can be changed. You can check out my site at www.cardomain.com/id/ramberg Later Warren

Old 02-27-2005, 05:36 PM
wsu

Suggest 2005

Originally Posted by only500made
hello,

At the end of last year, I was looking at the Accord too, but when I drove a Maxima there was no comparison (to be fair, the Maxima costs significantly more). At any rate, my response was similar to yours.

If you are set on a Maxima, I would suggest you go for a 2005 over a 2004. I test drove a 2004 and it had the dreaded "shimmy" that has become somewhat infamous. The center console of the interior is less prone to scratches on the 05, as they switched from a matte finish on the 04 to a brushed metallic look on the 05. I agree with the comments that the first year of a new model is prone to some unforseen (and inevitable?) problems. When I purchased my 05 there was (only) a 1% difference in the financing rate (1% for a 2004, 2% for a 2005), so I decided to bite the bullet and pay a little higher finance rate and avoid some of the 2004 problems about which I have read. My 05 SL has VDC with TCS (and a full size spare). I think most of the Maximas come with splash guards. If not, I would get those (and the floor and trunk mat set too). I live in an area that has some cold winter weather, so I also got the package with the heated steering wheel. I love not having to drive with gloves on in the winter (the heated wheel keeps my hands comfortable). I also got the sun roof because on occasion I like being able to open up the top to feel the air or look at the night sky.

The ride and general feel of my 2005 SL is smooth and sure. I am very pleased with the car (about 7K miles). If comfort and ride are you highest priorities, I think you will be pleased with the Maxima. The engine purrs and hums in a satisfying, even pleasing, manner. In my experience, the ride of the SL was significantly smoother than that of the SE.

Good luck with your purchase.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:19 PM

Get a used 04 with low miles....loaded...trust me, save over 5 grand. These cars lose their value FAST! No shimmy with my 04, no problems and first owner since new. Some of the 04 Maxima's are running loaded a tad over 23K. Take all you can with the options and do not deal with the loss in resale the 6th gen has. Just the smartest thing I can tell you to save you grands. Loaded 04 Max.....used....get the low price....you will thank me later.

05 changes are not a big deal. As far as the SL.....fake wood is not any better than the fake aluminum on the SE, but does not scratch as easy.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:19 PM

I am against buying used. If you can swing a new one do it. Definately get the 05'. I think reading this forum and seeing the tire and strut and skyview issues just to name a few you don't want to go anywhere near one.

2005 Onyx SE

Need I say more?

Come to Desert Nissan, look at this selection!

Now get to the dealer and buy one!
Old 02-27-2005, 11:08 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I am shocked that there are new Maxima's under the Certified Used Car sign. I bet Autonation inspectors (the symbol I believe means they are an autonation dealer) wouldn't like that too much.

500: The price and APR will come down during the transition to the next model year. I would imagine more so this year than any year prior due to the drive to a million campaign, that is unless they have already made the million sales by then. If you are buying now then as the others said, drive all cars on your list. Don't let the dealer talk you into staying around after the drive and pressure you into a buy. Once you decide which car you want and are ready to buy, goto a book store (Barnes and Noble, or Borders) and get a new car invoice book so that you are armed with what the dealer pays for the car.

Then go back to a dealer that is recomended in your area and buy the car you chose with the options you want.

BTW most of the features you list are Driver Prefered Package options, not standard.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

yes, im expectin for the 05s to go down, thats why i plan to buy arround september when im up and going with my pockets.

about the features, im really confused now because i thought these were standard except for:

Memory System<---this one
Heated Steering Wheel and Seats
Information Centre
Bose®-powered Audio System
Dual Zone Automatic Climate Control
DVD-based Nissan Navigation<---this one, i have a pocket pc GPS so i wont need it.

Navi and Memmory system are the only two options listed above right?

and these ones:

Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC)5 - A/T only
High Intensity Discharge (HID) bi-xenon projector---i know i could buy an aftermarket one for a cheaper price
Power sliding glass sunroof with pre-select switch
Power tilt and telescoping steering column
Driver’s seat power lumbar support and 4-way power
Driver’s seat entry/exit system (A/T only)
Leather seating surfaces
Gated automatic transmission shifter (A/T only)

are the real options? (im eyeing the 3.5 SE 5 seater).

is it smart to assume that if a dealer is selling a 05 maxima SE ... w/ leather...ETC it means it has the 3.5 SE 5-Seat Leather Package ???
Old 02-28-2005, 07:44 AM

Canada and the U.S.A have different options. Check the nissanusa's site for accurate info.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:06 AM

only500 - You absolutely MUST get a Maxima brochure from your dealer (or go to one of the online car services such as Edmunds, etc, and study the option packages). There is MUCH you need to know about options on the 6th gen Maxima.

Memory seats and mirrors, heated steering wheel, etc, are part of the driver's preferred option package in the U.S., and probably in Canada.

The heated front seats are part of the sensory option package for the SE. The BOSE system is part of the premium audio option package in the SE.

I could continue, but you see where I'm headed. PLEASE look at the Maxima brochure before even thinking about buying. The MSRP for new Maximas ranges from 27,000K to 35,000K. That wide range is a function of the many option packages.

The things included in those option packages vary between the SE and the SL, and are too numerous to list here.

After studying the Maxima brochure, come back here with any unanswered questions, and I promise we will find answers.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey!

will do sir...

and yes, to tell you i have been looking at the website (nissan.ca) lately, it seems that some options are standard for the maximas here i.e. bose system

for the 3.5 SE 5 seater:

AUDIO SYSTEMS
Digital Bose® audio system with AM/FM/cassette, in-dash 6-disc CD changer
Radio Data System (RDS) and speed-compensating volume control
Eight Bose® speakers, including two woofers and two tweeters <-----

SEATING/APPOINTMENTS
8-way power driver’s seat with manual lumbar support
Heated front seats (high and low settings) <------
Heated steering wheel <-------
Driver and front-passenger seatback pockets
60/40 split fold-down rear seatbacks with lock
Rear centre armrest trunk pass-through with lock
Leather-wrapped steering wheel, leather-wrapped shift **** and leather-wrapped parking brake lever
Titanium-tinted trim, including aluminum door sill plates
Cargo net

--------------------------------------

so i guess nissan canada is giving more than nissan us?

heres the link to it: http://nissan.ca/en/vehicles/maxima/specifications.html

if someone cares to show some differences between the US version and Cdn one.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:22 PM

I bought a used '04 for $24,000 at the end of the year. It seems as if the previous owner had already fixed whatever issues the car had under warranty, so I don't have to have my car in the shop. I wanted to switch back to an auto tranny for this car. The only regret I have is that mine has the 4-sp auto, where the newer ones come with a 5-sp auto. However, the comfort and all the options out-weigh the tranny issue.
Good luck with your decision!
Old 03-01-2005, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by SLuxury
I bought a used '04 for $24,000 at the end of the year. It seems as if the previous owner had already fixed whatever issues the car had under warranty, so I don't have to have my car in the shop. I wanted to switch back to an auto tranny for this car. The only regret I have is that mine has the 4-sp auto, where the newer ones come with a 5-sp auto. However, the comfort and all the options out-weigh the tranny issue.
Good luck with your decision!
I bought my 04 new....base model and owe quite a bit more than 24K for my car. Have about 7K on it so far....but wish I was in you position. Enjoy it and the great deal. Do not worry about the trans that much, not much difference. 24K though for a Max.....how many miles on it? I am VERY happy for you, great deal on it.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:47 PM

It was the mileage that allowed me to have this car for the price. They were asking $25,995 for it, but it had 25k miles. I told them I would give them $24k for it and waved $10k cash in front of their faces for the down payment (i had just sold my previous car). They pretended to hesitate for half a minute then finally broke down and knew that they had a sale. Shook my hand and I was in the finance office in no time. I am totally loving this car and I get compliments from my neighbors all the time.
Old 03-02-2005, 05:02 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

haha good story.

someone also suggested me to purchase a car at the months end because dealers are trying to make their quota...and that smaller dealership tend to have better deals than the bigger city dealers---which IMO makes sense.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by SLuxury
It was the mileage that allowed me to have this car for the price. They were asking $25,995 for it, but it had 25k miles. I told them I would give them $24k for it and waved $10k cash in front of their faces for the down payment (i had just sold my previous car). They pretended to hesitate for half a minute then finally broke down and knew that they had a sale. Shook my hand and I was in the finance office in no time. I am totally loving this car and I get compliments from my neighbors all the time.
You did real good. Very happy for you. Granted, I was upside down on my trade in.....had no money down...good deal though.