6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Ahhh! Die Snow, Die

Old 03-08-2005, 12:03 PM

Ahhh! Die Snow, Die

yea... so all the roads are fine except for by my house (3 blocks away) where i couldnt stop from 20mph in a whole block and blew right through a stopsign and plowed into the curb at id say 10-15mph.

what parts should i be expecting to buy, i am too pissed off right now to go check if my tires flat yet, but aside from that (dented rim/flat tire), my steering wheel is off about a full half a turn, so im guessing the tie rod end is a little mashed and maybe the control arm. am i about right?

where would i be able to buy these parts? any place online anyone knows of?

Figured id add this up top so you dont have to read all the way to the bottom....

thanks guys..... two more questions....

ive had an appointment to get my struts replaced/looked at (they are going to need replacing) for a week now. the appointment is next week. is nissan gonna ***** if i dont get this fixed by then? saying something along the lines of "well see its from smashing the curb"

--just thought of this.... can i get away with not getting an alignment and maybe adjusting the tie rod end by myself so steering goes back almost normal. because nissan has to do one if they change the struts anyway.

and #2 how hard is it to replace a control arm on your own? any special tools? i did my brakes and rotors on the 6th gen and i did the shocks and struts with a mechanic friend on the 5th i had, but never a control arm. do i have to seperate the ball joints and use those U fork things? also... would it be the lower or upper control arm that gets damaged when you hit curbs?

mmm just noticed the side that hit is pushed back an inch into the wheel well and rubs when i turn.... not good
Old 03-08-2005, 12:22 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Not sure about which parts, but hopefully you can jack it and take a look in a couple of days when old man winter finally goes to hell where he belongs...

As far as where to get them, I wish you luck. Apparently 6th gen parts are hard as hell to come by, so you might be stuck having to head out to the junkyards looking for what you need -- and hoping that they're not all banged up. Of course if the damage is bad enough (and depending on your deductible) it should be covered by your comprehensive... otherwise coming out of pocket for parts at the dealership is gonna really hurt.

Another place to try is car-parts.com... after you figure out exactly what you need. The listings for control arms are non-existent though, so best of luck.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:24 PM

same happened to me like a month ago!!! i had to replace the control arm which i bought at the dealership... my boy that works there hooked it up and i only payed like $35 for it... I had to re-align it and that cost me around $75.. Total= around $100 (Thank god i didnt bend my rims)
Old 03-08-2005, 02:01 PM
KC's FINEST

Fixxxer, try this link:

Max Parts

You ought to be able to find what your lookin for there. If not better get out the old phone book and start shoppin...
Old 03-08-2005, 04:25 PM

thanks guys..... two more questions....

ive had an appointment to get my struts replaced/looked at (they are going to need replacing) for a week now. the appointment is next week. is nissan gonna ***** if i dont get this fixed by then? saying something along the lines of "well see its from smashing the curb"

--just thought of this.... can i get away with not getting an alignment and maybe adjusting the tie rod end by myself so steering goes back almost normal. because nissan has to do one if they change the struts anyway.

and #2 how hard is it to replace a control arm on your own? any special tools? i did my brakes and rotors on the 6th gen and i did the shocks and struts with a mechanic friend on the 5th i had, but never a control arm. do i have to seperate the ball joints and use those U fork things? also... would it be the lower or upper control arm that gets damaged when you hit curbs?
Old 03-08-2005, 04:27 PM

Damn, that sucks...sorry to hear this. Hopefully you won't have to buy anything to expensive!