Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) (https://maxima.org/forums/6th-generation-maxima-2004-2008-48/)
-   -   Is the 6th Gen Max ugly? (https://maxima.org/forums/6th-generation-maxima-2004-2008/310487-6th-gen-max-ugly.html)

TheFink 07-04-2005 05:41 AM

I wouldnt think they were that bad but the interior looks horrible.....

Bobo 07-04-2005 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by DR-Max
The area where I live, there's a lot of people in their 20s driving the 6 gen. And they are acting all hard and posing in it like they are driving an exotic car. It's stupid. One time, some kid in it cut me off. We both ended up at the light. He didn't suspect that I was driving a 5-speed. Light turns green and I lit him up, he was totally caught off guard. I beat him thru the off-ramp as it goes from 2 to 1 lane. I was on the freeway and gone! That was one of the rarest times I drove aggressively in my Maxima. I felt like a kid again.

Even at my age, sometimes a guys gotta do, what a guys gotta do, lol!

Max Mutes 07-04-2005 11:31 AM

I love the 6th Gens. Considering it to be one of my choices of my next car.

Ceasars Chariot 07-04-2005 01:02 PM

yes and no, its one big, fwd, fish though.

Doc 07-04-2005 01:45 PM

Forgot one choice in the original poll. This would be "It's growing on me". At first I thought Nissan really f---ed up with this drastci change. I did not like the style at all. But it seems to be growing on me.

Doc 07-04-2005 01:47 PM

The only real problem I now see with all Nissans is they all have the same grill. Basically from the front end they all look the same from the Sentra right through to the Murano.

Amarao 07-04-2005 01:53 PM

I think Nissan really ****ed it up with this new design scheme straight from Renault. I personally prefer the look of 4th gens over any new Nissan model, the sport concept I like a little, perhaps because it's the first 2-door Nissan in a long time. If I had to replace my max I'd either get a 300ZX, 240ZX (with a lot of work), another 4th gen and if I could afford it a R34 Skyline, maybe I just prefer the design team who worked for Nissan in the 90s. ?_?

NmexMAX 07-04-2005 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Amarao
because it's the first 2-door Nissan in a long time. ?_?

What are you talking about? :scratch:

only 1 BLAK MAX 07-04-2005 07:54 PM

i think the 5th gen is ugly ..i kinda dont like how they made all the newer nissan look the same

OrestP 07-04-2005 08:21 PM

The 6th gen looks too bloated, and the front is just ughh.

Amarao 07-04-2005 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
What are you talking about? :scratch:

I'm talking about this. http://www.freshalloy.com/site/cars/...tch/home.shtml

JettmiesterMax 07-04-2005 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Amarao

That's what they call a 3-door. Hatchback. Not a 2-door.

Amarao 07-04-2005 08:59 PM

sorry for not considering the trunk a door >_>

jinsatx 07-05-2005 06:59 AM

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I recently bought two 05 SE's, one for the wife and one for me. One of the reasons is that both the wife and I like the looks of the 6th gen. I've had enough of bland automobiles and could not bear to buy an "ugly" bland Accord or Camry. As for you guys complaining that it is too large and like the Altima better, please check your facts. The car is only 2 inches longer and about an inch wider, just looks larger and more aggressive. As for the fourth and fifth gens. The fourth gen was nice for it's time, but that time has passed and the fifth gen never really grew on me. Just could never get a warm fuzzy over the rear styling and tail lights on the fifth gen. I remember in 2000, when I bought the wife an Accord, we looked at a Max SE and neither one of us could get past the rear end styling. I remember many forums back then on the fifth gen about the rear end and either you loved it or hated it. While I didn't hate it, I just didn't like it and still don't. No offense to you fifth gen owners. As for the 6th gen interior, it's clean and functional, no "goofy do dads" and the leather seems to be better than previous generations.

Again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I would guess that that more of the "older" people like me (57 yo) like the 6th gen looks than the younger people at this forum. If you look at other autos aimed at my age group, you see a lot of Max like styling, like the Cadillac CTS, Lexus GS300, etc. However, while a lot of younger people like the 6th gen, Nissan really aimed it's sales toward my age group of 40 to 65 year olds who can stand to buy a Buick or an Avalon.

JiuJitsuThug 07-05-2005 07:03 AM

Funny thread - lol @ the 6th gen being ugly. I get compliments almost daily on mine and I've had it for over 2 years...

JettmiesterMax 07-05-2005 07:06 AM

Wise purchase. And congrats! I love the 6th gen styling. Especially the rear door and the profile. Aggressive is right. They seem to stand out among the other sedans on the road. My only beef is the "fleece" that goes across the top of the dash from the doors. Not too noticeable in dark colors or grey, but the beige stands out too much.

What colors, transmission and option packages do you have?

Leaving here in a few to go pick up my niece's 97 Max SE we just bought her.

darrinps 07-05-2005 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by 96MillyS
I voted YES... sorry but I think the 6th gen is ugly. I can't accept it as a Maxima anymore, it's not longer a teenager car, I can only see 50+ ppl driving it.

Hmmm...never knew the Maxima was ever a "teenager car". Isn't it supposed to be Nissan's flagship?

BTW, most people on this forum who own one (me included) seem to be under 50, and it looks like the Maxima has inspired other car companies to follow suit.

xorbitman 07-05-2005 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by sterlingmaxima
they are nasty looking looks like a puma ready to attack. Thing is they weigh to much and to expensive i rather a g35 or 350z

I thought I would clarify something here. First off the New Maxima weighs about the same as the New Mustang Coupe GT! There is extensive use of Aluminum, Plastic and rubber. The hood and trunk are made of aluminum as is the suspension, engine and transmission (aluminum, Nickel alloy) The side panels or quarter panels are Plastic or aluminum etc. They are not too expensive when you consider how much you get in this car plus the rear leg room. Heated electronic tilting and telescoping steering wheel with position memory. Electronicly dimming side view mirrors and an engine that can be modded to around 300 HP. You definately get more car for the money than a G35 and some of the 05 Maxima's that I have seen can kick most cars buts 0 - 60 and on the highway.

xorbitman 07-05-2005 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by VTonmymind
Not a fan of the front end either (namely the grill and the way the fogs are set on the side), but I do find myself liking the way the back looks. Looks pretty tough.

Those are not fogs...their side illumination lights used at night when you are turning.

pae1215 07-05-2005 07:31 AM

:russ: :calvin:

chernmax 07-05-2005 07:36 AM

6th gens are by far the hottest, but what do I know, I just own one...

04BlackMaxx 07-05-2005 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by oTranscendental
I personally think the body is ugly, nice interior but gnarly exterior.

I thought maybe this was a thread from 2 years ago...but its from this month? :scratch: Its a little late to still be talking about this issue, in a few years it will grow on you anyway, and the stock power compared to a stock 4th gen is no contest.

Pretty soon the 6th gen will be as common as a 5th....I dont see very many 4th gens on the road anymore. The poll on here is biased because of the majority of owners being 4th and 5th.

:repost2: :repost2: :repost2: :repost2:

04BlackMaxx 07-05-2005 08:07 AM

The area where I live, there's a lot of people in their 20s driving the 6 gen. And they are acting all hard and posing in it like they are driving an exotic car. It's stupid. One time, some kid in it cut me off. We both ended up at the light. He didn't suspect that I was driving a 5-speed. Light turns green and I lit him up, he was totally caught off guard. I beat him thru the off-ramp as it goes from 2 to 1 lane. I was on the freeway and gone! That was one of the rarest times I drove aggressively in my Maxima. I felt like a kid again.

Im sure he was not trying, he knew you werent game :buttkick:

Max'dMatt2k3 07-05-2005 09:13 AM

It's one of the few cars I know of that the color makes or breaks it, 3rd-5th Gens just look good, no matter what color, however I think the 6th looks good only in Onyx, Smoke, and Polished Pewter. The interior is great in black but that lame Daewoo / Hyundai type fuzz thats on the doors, and the dash strip really hurts it, esp after it starts to wear.

RHMax 07-05-2005 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by 96MillyS
To me it is, because here in NYC, 90% of the maxima owners are around 20yrs old.

90% of Max ownwers in NYC are around 20, so they are teenagers' car. This is a real good point to ponder. Hmmmmmmm.......

So in DR-Max's area, 6th gens are teenagers car too? And I'm glad you taught that kid a lesson for driving a 6th gen, no 6th gen drivers should EVER dare pick on 4th and 5th geners. BTW, have you ever been picked on by kid in a TL, wait, better yet a G35, , oh wait, even better, an Altima?

blakstarz 07-05-2005 10:03 AM

I think it's the best looking max out...I just love the way the back of it looks....it's looks like a retro car from the 50's a little bit (the roundness in the back, like a hot rod or something, can't explain it) but the dual pipes just makes it VICIOUS!!!! I think it's an awesome looking car....I love it, it doesn't have the "me too" look.....it's has a very cool style. even the headlights are awesome looking on it......just seeing one come down the street with some HID's is a head turner, IMO......plus there is not a whole lot to trick out on the car, it's stands out....just tinting it and rims, makes the car look HOT...

RHMax 07-05-2005 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by blakstarz
I think it's the best looking max out...I just love the way the back of it looks....it's looks like a retro car from the 50's a little bit (the roundness in the back, like a hot rod or something, can't explain it) but the dual pipes just makes it VICIOUS!!!! I think it's an awesome looking car....I love it, it doesn't have the "me too" look.....it's has a very cool style. even the headlights are awesome looking on it......just seeing one come down the street with some HID's is a head turner, IMO......plus there is not a whole lot to trick out on the car, it's stands out....just tinting it and rims, makes the car look HOT...

To quote my wife, "a very masculine looking car" :thumbsup:

Mystery 07-05-2005 10:14 AM

As soon as i saw it i loved it. Test drove it and loved it. The only part i hated was the grille and thats why its gone. I get so many complimants on mine so i'm happy with it. But its all a matter of opinion of course.

darrinps 07-05-2005 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by RHMax
And I'm glad you taught that kid a lesson for driving a 6th gen, no 6th gen drivers should EVER dare pick on 4th and 5th geners.

After owning a 5 speed 96, and now a 6 speed 2005, I can assure you that the new Maxima has nothing to be ashamed of in either the performance or handling categories.

There really is no comparison.

Oh, and my wife really likes the looks of the new Maxima.

RHMax 07-05-2005 10:44 AM

[QUOTE=darrinps]After owning a 5 speed 96, and now a 6 speed 2005, I can assure you that the new Maxima has nothing to be ashamed of in either the performance or handling categories...QUOTE]

I was trying to set up my next lines :grinno:

You're right, stock versus stock, 6th gens are tough to beat.

DR-Max 07-05-2005 10:49 AM

I pretty much know that these new muscle sedans will totally annihilate me, including that kid's Maxima. I just used the element of surprise on him. On straight away, he'd quickly catch up and leave me eating his dust. That is why my only hope was to beat him to the freeway and getting him stuck behind several slow moving vehicles. By the time he got in the clear I was already merging onto another freeway (on my way to LAX) and by then, there's no way that he'd know where I'm at so I literally disappeared on him. I would never take on any of those cars. As for the 2.5 Altima, I'm sure I'll have a shot. But it's pretty impressive to see a 4 banger put out that kind of power. When I get my vq35 engine, hopefully next year, then I'll be up to par to take on these 4 door beasts.

BTW, now that this thread has been moved to the 6th gen forum, of course the poll will be biased in favor of the 6th gen. :hmmph: I thought that this poll was in the 4th gen to get the 4th gener's opinion on the matter. It's pretty obvious why the 6th geners own a 6th gen Maxima.

BTW, have you ever been picked on by kid in a TL, wait, better yet a G35, , oh wait, even better, an Altima?

RHMax 07-05-2005 11:19 AM

:wavey:

... When I get my vq35 engine, hopefully next year, then I'll be up to par to take on these 4 door beasts.

BTW, now that this thread has been moved to the 6th gen forum, of course the poll will be biased in favor of the 6th gen. :hmmph: I thought that this poll was in the 4th gen to get the 4th gener's opinion on the matter. It's pretty obvious why the 6th geners own a 6th gen Maxima.

What IS interesting is that this thread was originally for 4th geners about ugly 6th gens are. I wonder if there was a thread about 5th gens. I remember when the 4th gens first came out, how Car and Driver magazine called them "bland" looking. Now they call the 6th gen "eyebrow raising". I took neither as complements, but we love our Maxes anyway. Otherwise we'd be spending our time in front of our screens elsewhere.

04BlackMaxx 07-05-2005 11:41 AM

Ive always liked car designs that pushed the envelope, thats why when I first saw a 6th gen in a nissan dealerships parking lot I was sold, It looked to me like a more expensive car than it was. One was open and when I got inside the interior amazed me and I knew it was my next car, something so different.

DR-Max 07-05-2005 11:50 AM

That was exactly my reaction when I first saw the 6th gen. I also felt that the Maxima has taken on a more sophisticated look but I just didn't dig the lines and front end styling, I do like the back end a bit. All these years, I have owned a 3rd gen and two 4th gens. When the 4th gen was first introduced, my reactions were the same as with the 6th gen. But it grew on me, and its obvious now how much I like it because I have owned two 4th gens so far (the first one was traded in for a truck several years ago). I think the media conditions us consumers to begin to accept and like new interesting designs that push the envelope and its interesting how it always gets us. One automobile manufacturer would come up with a new design and the rest of the industry follows. The generation of vehicles that have been coming out lately have had many commonalities and personally, I have not seen a new sport sedan that I would even consider buying, except for the more expensive european ones. Anyway, I know that my next car would be a G35 coupe and I plan to keep the Maxima as a daily driver. I know that the G35 has a hint of the 6th gen Maxima front end styling but I think it is way more refined and more desirable to the eyes. :D

they call the 6th gen "eyebrow raising".

ramberg 07-05-2005 12:02 PM

I like all the different gens but love the 6th gens.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67...200012copy.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67...g/DSC02158.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67...g/DSC02157.jpg

boone 07-05-2005 03:11 PM

I can't believe people are still going on about if the 6th Gens are ugly or not. Some people like it, some don't. There isn't a car out there that you can't say the same thing about. Nissan took the Maxima in a different direction with the 6th gens. That is just the bottom line. I get compliments on my car almost daily. I could never say that about my 4th or my 5th gens.

JClaw 07-05-2005 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by darrinps
After owning a 5 speed 96, and now a 6 speed 2005, I can assure you that the new Maxima has nothing to be ashamed of in either the performance or handling categories.

There really is no comparison.

Oh, and my wife really likes the looks of the new Maxima.

My mom has a 6th gen (04 SL, auto). Stock for stock, her car would undeniably be faster than mine. Now it is an entirely different matter since we have the same engine, but her car weights 3485 and mine weights 2890. Either way, I really can't see how you can say that the 6th gen handles better. It feels HUGE compared to my 95, and I'm not even lowered yet. The handling on the 95 is much better, solid beam or not. 600 lbs is just too much to overcome, and the 95 really is much more nimble.