6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Squeeky auto steering wheel adjust when hot?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 11:52 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Squeeky auto steering wheel adjust when hot?

I have the auto tranny with the "auto up/down steering wheel on exit/entry" feature enabled and when it is hot (like 90+) and the car has been sitting in the sun, there is a loud squeeking sound coming frm the steering column as the wheel moves when I get in or out. Does anyone else have this problem? It's surprisingly loud, and to me sounds like some metal bits are expanding more than the surrounding frame causing there to be more friction or something as the steering wheel adjusts. I've taken this to the dealer, but they mysteriously can't replicate the problem (I don't think they let the car heat up enough in the sun). It seems to go away after the A/C has been on for 15-20 minutes though. Could something need to be lubricated, or is this a design flaw?

Thanks
Old 07-16-2005, 09:18 PM

We have used the auto 'up/down' steering wheel adjustment every time we get in or out for over a year, and we have never heard anything but the normal hum of the motor sliding the seat forward/backward at the same time the steering wheel is moving.

We don't park that often in full sun. If at home, our cars are always garaged. When not home, we try to find shade somewhere when we park.

But more importantly, I don't recall seeing this problem mentioned here during the last two years.

What we have seen here recently are a few posters who found some of the mechanicals loose in their steering wheel column, resulting in some 'play' in their steering wheel. Could a loose bolt/nut/etc be allowing metal parts to rub in your steering column area? I would think it would either be that, or something broken, or something out of adjustment.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:35 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
We have used the auto 'up/down' steering wheel adjustment every time we get in or out for over a year, and we have never heard anything but the normal hum of the motor sliding the seat forward/backward at the same time the steering wheel is moving.

We don't park that often in full sun. If at home, our cars are always garaged. When not home, we try to find shade somewhere when we park.

But more importantly, I don't recall seeing this problem mentioned here during the last two years.

What we have seen here recently are a few posters who found some of the mechanicals loose in their steering wheel column, resulting in some 'play' in their steering wheel. Could a loose bolt/nut/etc be allowing metal parts to rub in your steering column area? I would think it would either be that, or something broken, or something out of adjustment.

Thanks lightonthehill... I'll see if the dealer can replicate this next time I bring it in.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:17 PM
Banned

I also have auto up/down steering wheel enabled, but the steering wheel
didn't come down very rarely(like once in a month). so i didn't even bother
to take it to the dealer. Luckily, it happened when i was at the dealer and
the technician was in the car. so I told him that it happens very rarely.
well...he wanted to replace the motor anyways while it was getting serviced.

mine also makes very little squeeky sound other than normal motor operating
sound. but it's very hard to hear, so i'm ok with it.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:09 PM
Newbie just Registered

Heat must expanded something in the column. Try have the steering wheel telescoped out a little. Whether this does anyhing or not, it either eliminates one possible cause, or points out the cause.