Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) (https://maxima.org/forums/6th-generation-maxima-2004-2008-48/)
-   -   Cams? (https://maxima.org/forums/6th-generation-maxima-2004-2008/338268-cams.html)

VQMAX05 01-18-2006 07:51 PM

Cams?

Hey guys whats up?
I have just installed my Injen CAI, my Greddy SP2 is on its way as well. (brand new for $570.00 shipped :D ) Next week Y -pipe.....Im on my way!!

My question is. HAs anyone with a 6th gen done the cam upgrades??
I am considering the Nismo cams or the Stillen Version. I drove my buddies 350Z with cams....WoW what a difference. What are my advantages and disadvantages to doing this....other than 1500 bucks! to all who know something about this please chime in. Also does anyone know the duration and lift of the stock cams?

Link: http://stillen.com/Sportscars_detail...d=41814&page=1

Thanks
JOn

SEXIMA04 01-18-2006 08:13 PM

i am getting cams done.

working on it rite now.

will be done before the Oxnard meet.

i bought the stillen version.

APEXI-SAFC II ON THE WAY. GOTTA GET IT TUNED AND DYNO

DeusExMaxima 01-18-2006 10:35 PM

Hey Sexima: How r ur headers workig out??

9Nails 01-18-2006 10:51 PM

What made you pick Stillen vs. Nismo cams?

Just curious

SEXIMA04 01-19-2006 12:25 AM

Price And Some People Were Telling Me That It Won't Fit.

Dunno.. If You Wanna Get Nismo RACING CAM. Then You Have To Get It For 350z. I Noe We Have Same Engine And All But Dunno.. Didn't Wanna Risk It Dis Time. Not With Cam Shaft Especially. So For Safety, I juss Went With Stillen Cams Cuz I Know It's Made For Our Car.

Deus.

My Headers Are Turning Out Great. No Problem Yet. My Timing Is Little Off From Installing All This Crap Such As Cai, Headers, And Etc. As Soon As I Get My Cams In, Imma Install Safc And Get In Tuned At Place Called Church's. And Get Dyno Show Numbers To Yall.

ramberg 01-19-2006 03:28 AM

[QUOTE=VQMAX05]Hey guys whats up?
I

Where are you buying your y-pipe from? Are you going to install the racing pulley? That should be next. I have all of these installed in my car. I am waiting for headers to come out. I also have nitrous installed.

Good luck with the cams.

Warren

VQMAX05 01-19-2006 05:47 AM

Is Cams a bad idea??
I am going to order my Y - pipe from customent.com.
How beneficial are the Pulley's. I do have a system in my car...will the amps be affected?

VQMAX05 01-19-2006 05:48 AM

[QUOTE=ramberg]

Originally Posted by VQMAX05
Hey guys whats up?
I

Where are you buying your y-pipe from? Are you going to install the racing pulley? That should be next. I have all of these installed in my car. I am waiting for headers to come out. I also have nitrous installed.

Good luck with the cams.

Warren

What kind of shot do you have in the MAX?? How has it afected the tranny and motor in any way?? I dont know if I want to go that far.:noes: makes me nervous.

NmexMAX 01-19-2006 06:46 AM

There's a GD on cams now, 529$ shipped.
http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=208259
http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=212715

For teh $/gain amount, these would be the best, unless you have more $$ than brains.

Originally Posted by SEXIMA04
working on it rite now........will be done before the Oxnard meet

When will that be?

Another thread of interest for more possible performance.
http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193864

chernmax 01-19-2006 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by SEXIMA04
APEXI-SAFC II ON THE WAY. GOTTA GET IT TUNED AND DYNO

:sprint: Scheduled to be delivered today, RedLineMax is going to install it for me...

VQMAX05 01-19-2006 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by chernmax
:sprint: Scheduled to be delivered today, RedLineMax is going to install it for me...

APEXI-SAFC II what is this???

ramberg 01-19-2006 10:07 AM

[QUOTE=VQMAX05]

Originally Posted by ramberg
What kind of shot do you have in the MAX?? How has it afected the tranny and motor in any way?? I dont know if I want to go that far.:noes: makes me nervous.

The pulley gives a little more HP. It doe not the system. I have not used the nitrous yet. I have to wait till spring to run it at the track.

Warren

ramberg 01-19-2006 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by chernmax

Let me know if it makes a difference.

Warren

Glude 01-19-2006 10:36 AM

Is Redlinemax tuning it also?

chernmax 01-19-2006 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Glude
Is Redlinemax tuning it also?

No, I will be taking it to a shop to tune it in conjunction with a Dyno. After numerous PM's with Maxmale who also has one currently installed in his fly ride, I think this is the best approach to correctly dial it in based on my mods installed. :Orly:

JiuJitsuThug 01-20-2006 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by VQMAX05
Is Cams a bad idea??
I am going to order my Y - pipe from customent.com.
How beneficial are the Pulley's. I do have a system in my car...will the amps be affected?

Can't speak for the cams but I have the Unorthodox Pulley and a system as well. It hasn't seemed to have any negative effect on the bump in my ride :)

I like the pulley - ULTRA lightweight compared to the OEM...

Glude 01-20-2006 04:01 PM

Holy Tripple Post! I have a lightweight crank pulley as well and it helps the engine rev quicker although its questionable as if it really helps in acceleration and quicker track times.

NismoMax80 01-22-2006 05:26 PM

back to camshafts on topic :)

AzNx2k2xSEXima 01-23-2006 01:19 AM

lol
well the cam install should be done by the end of tomarrow....might be pushed back to tues. friends laggin w/ the gaskets

GBAUER 01-23-2006 04:34 AM

FYI: us 5.5 gen guys have found that "upgrading" the cams actually doesn't do anything. Any hp you gain at the top end is lost on the bottom in torque. I wouldn't waist my dime on it.

That said, there is one guy who claims it made a difference (donkey), but nobody has seen dyno sheets to my knowledge.

SR20DEN 01-23-2006 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by AzNx2k2xSEXima
lol
well the cam install should be done by the end of tomarrow....might be pushed back to tues. friends laggin w/ the gaskets

What gaskets are you waiting for? All gaskets you'll encounter (throttle body, upper/lower intake manifold and the VTC solenoid gaskets) are 100% reusable. The VTC covers, which don't need to be removed, the front cover and the oil pan don't use gaskets. You should have a minimum of one full tube of Ultra Grey or Nissan RTV available to you to re-seal these items. And it helps to have a die grinder with (blue) scotchbright wheels to clean off the old RTV. Then bead blast the rest of it if you have a blasting cabinet at your disposal.

So essentially you're waiting on nothing. You're good to go now.

AzNx2k2xSEXima 01-23-2006 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by SR20DEN
What gaskets are you waiting for? All gaskets you'll encounter (throttle body, upper/lower intake manifold and the VTC solenoid gaskets) are 100% reusable. The VTC covers, which don't need to be removed, the front cover and the oil pan don't use gaskets. You should have a minimum of one full tube of Ultra Grey or Nissan RTV available to you to re-seal these items. And it helps to have a die grinder with (blue) scotchbright wheels to clean off the old RTV. Then bead blast the rest of it if you have a blasting cabinet at your disposal.

So essentially you're waiting on nothing. You're good to go now.

they're reusable???? well the cams are done from what i just heard....i hate studying for midterms....i need to take alot of breaks. he needed some more silicone and the lower intake manifold gasket. he already bought the intake manifold gasket from when we were doing the headers. he didn't bother to refund it. and y not use it if he already has it?
the coilovers will be installed later tonight.

NmexMAX 01-23-2006 06:08 PM

I bet you do not have a baseline dyno for this do you?

Originally Posted by AzNx2k2xSEXima
well the cams are done from what i just heard

Deckdout2 02-02-2006 11:51 AM

Anyone know what the timeframe is to do a cam install? What is also the difficulty level on this? Are there any measurements or syncronizing that needs to be done to set them besides proper torque on bolts? Is there anything else besides the rod bolts that you can do while you already have this apart? Any insight would be helpful.

SR20DEN 02-02-2006 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Deckdout2
Anyone know what the timeframe is to do a cam install? What is also the difficulty level on this? Are there any measurements or syncronizing that needs to be done to set them besides proper torque on bolts? Is there anything else besides the rod bolts that you can do while you already have this apart? Any insight would be helpful.

Why are YOU asking about cams? It's not like you'll buy any.

Deckdout2 02-02-2006 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by SR20DEN
Why are YOU asking about cams? It's not like you'll buy any.

I'd like to know how you suspect that?

You're right.....I should call off my wedding right now, and spend all my money on my car. :yeahright