6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Technosquare ecu DYNO....

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 12:46 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by madmik
I did not keep previous runs to compare what is happening
You mean you dont have the pre ECU runs? Hmm... Wonder if any one else does

The O2 1 sensors were reading .14 - .95 (range is 0-2.55V).
You sure the sensor’s range is 0-2.55v? I think it’s 0-5v(05’s have wideband O2 sensors)

On my wideband, 2.35v = 14.7 which is stoich, and 2.5 would be quite lean. Lower voltage means rich condition, higher = lean condition.

Air/fuel ratio = 2v+10
Old 12-01-2006, 12:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

When did TS get flash for 06?

I called about 2 weeks ego, and 06 w/ wideband 02 hadnt been avail..

Apprec. any info.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:12 PM

Long term fuel trim Bank1=11.7%, B2=10.1%
Short term trim B1/B2= 24.96% (wow)

I will recheck all my vacuum hoses, EGR, etc since the problem is worst around idle. To detect leaks, someone suggested to spray carb cleaner to see if the rpm goes up. Should work.

If no leaks then TS will have to really adjust the fuel maps. Or I get an AFCII.

[When did TS get flash for 06?]
Mine is an 05. Possible that TS has not done 06' yet.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:16 PM

Hmmm, the ECU flash is starting to sound bit more complicated than most.

If it's a simple swap out, it's still at the top of my list for this spring but if not I may have to hold out even longer. Is TS is actively pursuing fixes to the bugs that the 6th gen seem to be having with their flash?
Old 12-04-2006, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Apollos2
Hmmm, the ECU flash is starting to sound bit more complicated than most.

If it's a simple swap out, it's still at the top of my list for this spring but if not I may have to hold out even longer. Is TS is actively pursuing fixes to the bugs that the 6th gen seem to be having with their flash?
Old 12-04-2006, 09:19 PM

From what I have been reading and observed, large CAI pipes slow the air flow to the MAF. This incorrectly reports that less air is entering the engine which gets the ECU to shorten the injector pulse length (open time) to lean out the A/F mix. The O2 sensors then report a lean condition for which the ECU, using its fuel maps, tries to compensate by increasing the injector pulse length and tracks this deviation via the Short Term Fuel Trims (one for each exhaust manifold). As an engine age, these trims are used to compensate for not so clean injectors, engine blow-by, etc. Mod's that affect the air flow will accentuate this Leaner condition (like my y-pipe) and send the trims way up.

Each time the STFT hits +25% correction, the Long Term Fuel Trim value is incremented by 1%, and the STFT reset to zero. When the LTFT goes above +10% and STFT hits +25% (a Nissan preset limit), the ECU set's a P0171 error condition, SES light and stores sensor data surrounding the error. At WOT, both trims are reset to zero. On a RICH condition, the trims go negative.
L Trims are almost at max between idle up to 3k rpm, close to zero (good) above 4K.

I recleaned the MAF and got the PCV valve connections real tight. Trims are still wild but not enough to trigger SES. My MAF is within specs. I used propane and carb cleaner to check for air leaks. None found.

Nissan low end A/F mix is probably quite lean to give good fuel economy. I suspect Technosquare only adjusts the fuel maps at the high end. I will call them up. They got to fix the low end.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:30 AM
Newbie just Registered

I'm not sure which version of TS program some of you have. The version that I have is tuned in my car and A/F was adjusted from low end. You may want to ask since there are a few versions for different ECU models.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:18 AM
dot dot dot ...

Do any of you have any wideband 02 A/F data?
Old 12-05-2006, 07:14 AM

If no leaks then TS will have to really adjust the fuel maps. Or I get an AFCII.
A piggyback is probably a good idea because IMO the amount of precision TS can achieve with the AFR is limited w/o having your car on a wideband or a dyno.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:49 AM

......Nissan low end A/F mix is probably quite lean to give good fuel economy. I suspect Technosquare only adjusts the fuel maps at the high end. I will call them up. They got to fix the low end.
Good work Madmilk. I hope they respond to your feedback.

Sounds like you know a lot about this kind of thing. If the TS flash becomes more of a "plug and play" I am in it next on my list of big purchases as far as mods go. Thanks!
Old 12-05-2006, 08:35 AM
dot dot dot ...

Nissan low end A/F mix is probably quite lean to give good fuel economy. I suspect Technosquare only adjusts the fuel maps at the high end. I will call them up. They got to fix the low end.
Nissan shoots for 14:7 in closed loop. (stioch for gasoline engines). The ECU tries to maintain this number via feedback from the o2 sensors.

Read this
http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...7&postcount=87

Open loop is is when the ECU uses feedback from the MAF and CPS for air/fuel corrections.

Read these and you'll know where to tune for with respect to your driving habits.
http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...42&postcount=6
Taken from this thread.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?p=3287342
Old 12-05-2006, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by RHMax
I'm not sure which version of TS program some of you have. The version that I have is tuned in my car and A/F was adjusted from low end. You may want to ask since there are a few versions for different ECU models.
Tek-niq did some back and forth with them to get the correct A/F. They did yours too. That is why I wonder why the fuel maps are still so off at the low end. Its not their first 6th gen reflash.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:00 PM
Newbie just Registered

Tek-niq did some back and forth with them to get the correct A/F. They did yours too. That is why I wonder why the fuel maps are still so off at the low end. Its not their first 6th gen reflash.
He didn't have a car to tune Tek's ECU. Originally I was suppose to use Tek's ECU but not compatible, so he ended up using my ECU with my car.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:07 PM

Thanks NmexMAX for the links. I am a bit stubborn and want to understand each component. That is why I bought Autoenginuity. I did notice that the ECU switches to open loop easily, like at 50% load sometimes. With city driving requiring lot of time between 1-2K rpm, I have to get the A/F to a relatively safe ratio.

Technosquare wants some A/F readings for their tech to analyze but he is leaving for Japan Friday. I guess that gives me plenty of time to capture O2 A/F data until he is back in January.

I know a piggyback computer is probably the sane option but the fact that the ECU already has fuel tables, and all the fancy logic, I really want TS to do the job they were paid to do. Then hopefully, it will be plug and play.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:28 PM
dot dot dot ...

Then hopefully, it will be plug and play.
Have you looked into the Cipher from UpRev?
Old 12-06-2006, 04:34 AM

I did notice that the ECU switches to open loop easily, like at 50% load sometimes. With city driving requiring lot of time between 1-2K rpm, I have to get the A/F to a relatively safe ratio.
At such low rpms, you should be in closed loop (at stoich) so that should be a safe ratio. Unless your data logs are showing otherwise.

I know a piggyback computer is probably the sane option but the fact that the ECU already has fuel tables, and all the fancy logic, I really want TS to do the job they were paid to do. Then hopefully, it will be plug and play.
Understandable, but I still think there is a limit to what TS can do. Then again, its probably just my skepticism.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Then hopefully, it will be plug and play.
Have you looked into the Cipher from UpRev?
I thought with that point, he was referring to the TS reflash, not his Autogenuity, being plug n play.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:12 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
Then again, its probably just my skepticism.
No, it's not. What is convenient about sending your ECU back to them (TS) every time you add a new mod or alter something that isn't in sync with what they previously programmed for your car, whether it be A/F, timing etc?

http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...7&postcount=20

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
I thought with that point, he was referring to the TS reflash, not his Autogenuity, being plug n play.
Unless you have other cars besides Nissan, the UpRev seems to be the superior choice.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:24 AM

No, it's not. What is convenient about sending your ECU back to them (TS) every time you add a new mod or alter something that isn't in sync with what they previously programmed for your car, whether it be A/F, timing etc?
http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...7&postcount=20

Unless you have other cars besides Nissan, the UpRev seems to be the superior choice.
Fair enough. The Cipher interface definitely looks prettier.

But seriously, from what I've seen through 6SpeedHayes and on my350z, I agree with you that it does seem like the better choice for Nissan/Infiniti. Then again, the guys with the Autogenuity haven't posted many details on that aspect of it, although it seems that Larrio likes his a lot. I like both of em just for that fact you can adjust base timing and other things w/o needing a Consult II.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:25 AM

WTF, when did you ninja edit to include my link?
Old 12-06-2006, 11:13 AM

I picked Autoingenuity because it supports most brands via the new CAN protocol, has the SAE J2534 interface and the price. It can report data from any sensor in the car. Great value IMO. Since it supports the latest protocol, I should get 5-10 years out of it.

The pretty Cipher looked too much like bling you show a G35 owner when his/her car is in the shop. Others may be better if you run a business but they cost $$$.

I did get P0171, P0174 SES (lean condition) after the Y-pipe. I cleaned the MAF and tighten a few hoses but still very lean (according to ECU). I will pull O2 readings as soon as I have time. TS needs them.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:38 PM

Did you purchase the nissan module as well or just the base program? I was looking at getting auto enginuity soon. Do your datalogging and 02 readings come out okay or does it not sample quick enough? And last, do the 02 readings show up as voltage only or do they convert to AFR ie..14.7

Sorry for the thread jack!
Old 12-06-2006, 07:19 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Nietzsche
Did you purchase the nissan module as well or just the base program?
I'm guessing the Nissan enhance since he was able to adjust base timing.

I was looking at getting auto enginuity soon. Do your datalogging and 02 readings come out okay or does it not sample quick enough?
It's rate relies on how many sensors you're logging at once, the Cipher's sample rate is faster. (18mhz)

And last, do the 02 readings show up as voltage only or do they convert to AFR ie..14.7
Raw voltage, no conversion. And it's O2, not 02.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:43 AM

It's rate relies on how many sensors you're logging at once, the Cipher's sample rate is faster. (18mhz).
1ms seems fast enough to me so I was wondering if there where any problems in actual usage-I doubt there would be.

Raw voltage, no conversion. And it's O2, not 02.
So how do you convert it to AFR? And I'm SOOOO sorry I hit the zero instead of the O
Old 12-07-2006, 06:14 AM
dot dot dot ...

1ms seems fast enough to me so I was wondering if there where any problems in actual usage-I doubt there would be.
They claim that as the highest rate, but when monitoring many sensors, I doubt the resolution would be that high.

So how do you convert it to AFR?
You have a wideband (06).

The way my WB works is given here.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:56 PM

By your calculations, 2(v+10), 2.35v=24.7 not 14.7

Are you sure your formula is correct?
Old 12-07-2006, 03:00 PM
dot dot dot ...

Sorry... I'm in mode today.

A/F = 2v +10

v=2.35

2*2.35 = 4.7 + 10 = 14.7
Old 12-07-2006, 06:03 PM

Thanks for the equation.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:51 PM

So the Auto Enginuity would be fine for datalogging wideband, rpm, throttle. The only reason I don't want to go cipher is for the ability to use it on non nissan vehicles.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:33 AM

So why is the chart in the Max's service manual, page EC-512, showing 1.5v output voltage as stoic? The specification text also indicates that the ConsultII monitor value should 'fluctuate around 1.5v'. The 2.35 V you refer seem to point to the input voltage when testing the sensor wires attached to the ECU. But I could be wrong. So many sensors and so much data.

I got my Autoingenuity for Windows/USB off Ebay for $205 new. Did a bid at the last minute. I then ordered the Nissan Expansion package from the website. You get an email with a code to activate the expansion.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:54 AM
dot dot dot ...

So why is the chart in the Max's service manual, page EC-512, showing 1.5v output voltage as stoic? The specification text also indicates that the ConsultII monitor value should 'fluctuate around 1.5v'. The 2.35 V you refer seem to point to the input voltage when testing the sensor wires attached to the ECU. No it's not, it's an output....
I was referring to my own personal wideband, (here's the post where I stated it was on my wideband http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...&postcount=441 )not stock of coursee, since my car is only an 03. (Narrow band O2 sensor equipped from the factory)

Yours is an 05, so, I'm sure it doesn't have a stock WB. They came out in the 06 A34 (WB O2's) With all that said, everything I've posted about widebands only refers to the 06 and up models.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:33 AM

.........I did get P0171, P0174 SES (lean condition) after the Y-pipe. I cleaned the MAF and tighten a few hoses but still very lean (according to ECU). I will pull O2 readings as soon as I have time. TS needs them.
So Madmilk, how is the ECU flash working out? Are you still battling lean conditions and SES light?

Would anyone else like to share their "long term" experiences with the TS ECU flash?

Old 02-11-2007, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Apollos2
So Madmilk, how is the ECU flash working out? Are you still battling lean conditions and SES light?

Would anyone else like to share their "long term" experiences with the TS ECU flash?

+1 on same info
Old 02-14-2007, 11:44 AM

Like I wrote on other posts, I did not want to buy an Apexi AFC. I drilled a few holes in the MAF sensor itself (pic below) using my Autoenginuity until I got my air/fuel ratio in a decent range (12.5-13.5). No SES light after that. Power is good, especially upper end. Not sure if its the cold weather or the ECU has learned something but the engine pulls real strong mid to high rpm. As soon as the weather improves, I will do another dyno.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:08 PM

My ECU reflash experience is good as well. Love the low end pull and throttle response. I don't like that my cruise control doesnt work above 80 mph. I brought this to Hadashi's attention, but no word on how this is corrected.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:14 PM
dot dot dot ...

Like I wrote on other posts, I did not want to buy an Apexi AFC. I drilled a few holes in the MAF sensor itself (pic below) using my Autoenginuity until I got my air/fuel ratio in a decent range (12.5-13.5). No SES light after that. Power is good, especially upper end. Not sure if its the cold weather or the ECU has learned something but the engine pulls real strong mid to high rpm. As soon as the weather improves, I will do another dyno.
Can you post a graph of AFR vs RPM?
Old 02-14-2007, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
My ECU reflash experience is good as well. Love the low end pull and throttle response. I don't like that my cruise control doesnt work above 80 mph. I brought this to Hadashi's attention, but no word on how this is corrected.

Are you using a maxima ECU or the G35/350Z ECU
Old 02-14-2007, 12:21 PM
Newbie just Registered

I have no problems with mine at all, including cruise control.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:32 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
Have you tested the removal of the speed limiter yet?
Old 02-14-2007, 05:14 PM
briancopeland

Impressive

I've been comtemplating the ECU reprogramming as my next upgrade. I'm tired of resetting my ECU every other day and want to get the most out of my Nismo intake (recently installed) and exhaust (probably a Cattman in a month or two. The 10 HP gain by itself is impressive. Of course, the point it to get the most out of the other upgrades without the ECU cancelling any positive gains. Of course, Technosquare does other things to the ECU like reprogram how the throttle responds, etc. that I want as well.

$495 and doing without your car for a few days, not to mention the risk of sending your car's computer across the country twice is not a small deal. I'm happy to hear that it may be worth the time, money, and trouble. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Technosquare ecu DYNO....