6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

scary thing happened

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 06:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

scary thing happened

Hey all, i had a scary thing happen to me today... i started the car, and the SES, TCS, and SLIP lights all remained on while i started to drive. The throttle response felt funny, and extremely sluggish. I stopped, turned off the car, and started it again, and the TCS and SLIP lights went away, but the SES light remained. I reset the ECU, and pulled code P1212, which showed up as "P1212 - ABS / TCS Communication Line". Does anybody have any idea what the hell happened? im so confused and im not sure if i should worry now. Light stayed off after i reset, so im not sure. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:18 PM

Me personally, I wouldn't toy with it. I would take it to the stealership and have it notated that it is throwing codes. Are you still under warranty?
Old 01-31-2007, 08:39 PM

True, take it to the dealership and have them check it out
Old 01-31-2007, 09:07 PM
Newbie just Registered

Yeah, sounds pretty major. I'd go to the stealership.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:07 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

You don't want your ABS to fail on you, its that simple
Old 02-01-2007, 06:31 AM
KC's FINEST

Is this in a 6th gen?
Old 02-01-2007, 07:27 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by KCmaxx
Is this in a 6th gen?
Must be, I don't think 5th gens came with traction control (TCS)...
Old 02-01-2007, 07:43 AM
KC's FINEST

Originally Posted by chernmax

Ahh... Theres old threads around about SES/BRAKE lights coming on sparaticlly. My car has done several times over bumps/potholes. I would stop, turn the car off then restart. No problems... Had the dealer check into it, nothing was found.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:57 AM

They sure did. Before my 04 i had a '00 and it had traction control. Awful awful traction control but there
Old 02-01-2007, 12:04 PM

First thing I did when I read your topic Title was to think, hey this guy should have the same problem I had, and guess what?, I was right.

My car just have 19,000 miles on it, on Monday Jan. 19, I left the car parked for about 10 minutes, when I got back and turned it on, I got the SES, TCS, and SLIP lights on, I just started to run it, and immediately felt something wrong was happening, the first thing that occured to me was to turn it off, and turn it on again, that seemed to take care of the TCS and SLIP lights and the weird feeling, but SES, was still on, so I went to my home, and unplugged the battery, I didn't want to go to Service, I left it unplugged for about 3 hours, then I connect the battery back, and so far I haven't seen or feel anything weird on the car.

I must tell you, it was scary, but I thought that it was a very weird and isolated episode, but now that i see that you also had the same, it makes me wonder what can be causing it?, Again, if it was something bad, after almost 2 weeks of normal use it should have appeared again, but still nothing, not that I'm expecting it or want to happen, but you know, I prefer to fix whatever can be causing it that it cause a major problem or possible an accident later on.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:10 PM
F---ing Kangaroos

Some 4th gens had traction control
Old 02-01-2007, 01:51 PM

I'm kind of glad now that I didn't get TCS with my 04.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:19 PM
Banned

Dont think TCS is the only thing that can break, my ABS and SES lights came on after a few episodes of my ABS activating EVERY time i hit the brake (talk about an annying f'd up problem) Actuator went, $1400 fix...goodwill by the dealer, note this is onlycovered for 3/36 and nissan basically told me to go to hell bc its out of bumper to bumper warrenty. I wasnt even planning on fixing the car for that kind of money, I would have just lived without abs and let the next owner deal with it bc that kind of money to get ABS back isnt worth it to me.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:00 PM

I haven't had this issue with my Maxima, but I had a very similar issue twice on my Grand Prix with TCS and ABS. In both cases the dash board lit up like a Christmas tree (ABS, TCS, Tire inflation, etc.) and in both cases it ended up being the right front hub bearing. Basically it just deteriorated so bad that the speed sensor just quit working. I suspect you could also get a similar result if the connection became loose or somehow got water in it. Anyway, just my past experience.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:14 AM

Someone posted same problem a while back that he went to dealer and they said his aftermarket sound system may be the cause, that they would check it out only if he removed the sound system. He didn't believe them but took it out anyway. Can't remember if problem went away or if they replaced a defective wheel sensor.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:17 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 03maxsiny
Hey all, i had a scary thing happen to me today... i started the car, and the SES, TCS, and SLIP lights all remained on while i started to drive. The throttle response felt funny, and extremely sluggish. I stopped, turned off the car, and started it again, and the TCS and SLIP lights went away, but the SES light remained. I reset the ECU, and pulled code P1212, which showed up as "P1212 - ABS / TCS Communication Line". Does anybody have any idea what the hell happened? im so confused and im not sure if i should worry now. Light stayed off after i reset, so im not sure. Thanks in advance.
Originally Posted by erasat
First thing I did when I read your topic Title was to think, hey this guy should have the same problem I had, and guess what?, I was right.

My car just have 19,000 miles on it, on Monday Jan. 19, I left the car parked for about 10 minutes, when I got back and turned it on, I got the SES, TCS, and SLIP lights on, I just started to run it, and immediately felt something wrong was happening, the first thing that occured to me was to turn it off, and turn it on again, that seemed to take care of the TCS and SLIP lights and the weird feeling, but SES, was still on, so I went to my home, and unplugged the battery, I didn't want to go to Service, I left it unplugged for about 3 hours, then I connect the battery back, and so far I haven't seen or feel anything weird on the car.

I must tell you, it was scary, but I thought that it was a very weird and isolated episode, but now that i see that you also had the same, it makes me wonder what can be causing it?, Again, if it was something bad, after almost 2 weeks of normal use it should have appeared again, but still nothing, not that I'm expecting it or want to happen, but you know, I prefer to fix whatever can be causing it that it cause a major problem or possible an accident later on.
I must have missed the scary part.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Max_Ash
I must have missed the scary part.
Maybe it was because 03maxsiny already posted what the car felt like while driving it, and I didn't want to post exactly all the details, but it was scary as hell...

Thanks God yours haven't give you the same, because if it does, you won't miss the scary part...
Old 02-07-2007, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by 03maxsiny
I have an "01" with 51,000 miles and for the first time today, I had the same thing happen to me on the way to work. Anyway, when I got to work I turned off the ignition and restarted, but the same 3 lights reappered on the dash. When I started the car this afternoon to go home from work, the TCS and SLIP lights were off but the SES light remained lit. I'm hopeing this is nothing major cause I really can't afford big repairs right now.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by titot4u
I have an "01" with 51,000 miles and for the first time today, I had the same thing happen to me on the way to work. Anyway, when I got to work I turned off the ignition and restarted, but the same 3 lights reappered on the dash. When I started the car this afternoon to go home from work, the TCS and SLIP lights were off but the SES light remained lit. I'm hopeing this is nothing major cause I really can't afford big repairs right now.
Just reset your ECU, unplug the battery and plug it back after a while, the SES should be off , if it turn on again, then, you should be considering taking it for service.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by erasat
Just reset your ECU, unplug the battery and plug it back after a while, the SES should be off , if it turn on again, then, you should be considering taking it for service.
Last night I got an oil change and took her out for a rough "30 mile" ride. None of the other lights reappeared, but the SES light is still lit. I'll wait a couple weeks to see if the SES light turns off (as it usually does). If I experience the same issue, I will need to purchase the coils and replace them.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:52 AM

I'm probably stating the obvious, so bear with me:

What about running the codes at Autozone? See why it is throwing lights at you?

Titot4U:

Hey there Boss, are you aware you are posting in 6th gen and yet your sig shows you as owning a 5th? No biggie, we love to help anyway we can. I was just thinking that it might be advantageous to post in the 5th forum. Maybe someone over there has experienced what you have and can offer advice we might not think of.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by 4MySwee
I'm probably stating the obvious, so bear with me:

What about running the codes at Autozone? See why it is throwing lights at you?

Titot4U:

Hey there Boss, are you aware you are posting in 6th gen and yet your sig shows you as owning a 5th? No biggie, we love to help anyway we can. I was just thinking that it might be advantageous to post in the 5th forum. Maybe someone over there has experienced what you have and can offer advice we might not think of.
Hey, thanks for telling me. I performed a search on my problem and it linked me here. I didn't even realize I was posting on the 6th gen forum. Anyway, thanks for the advice. I will take it to AutoZone to see what code is displaying, then I'll decide what to repair from there.
Thanx again.