6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

She is dialed in W/rear KYB GR2's

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 04:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

She is dialed in W/rear KYB GR2's

First of all I want to thank the board (you guys) for all the great reading/advice. This board makes buying a computer worthwhile on it's own.

The setup...

HR springs in the front only-
Progress rear sway bar-
G35 18X8 +30mm Wheels-
Bridgestone 050A PP Tires-
And finally (just installed) KYB GR2 Rear Shocks

The car rides as if it's on rails but is smooth as silk. The improvement over OEM rear shocks is unreal. Still smooth but sooo much more control.
Turn-in response greatly improved and leaning in corners greatly diminished.
Feel of the road is outstanding and bumpsteer is greatly improved.
The handling is absolutely exceptional!!!

With stock springs you can't go wrong with KYB GR2's.
For only $85 shipped and less than a hours worth of work, it has got to be the best "bang for the buck" Mod I have ever experienced.

Guys in the Phoenix area, drive your car over and I will install them for you.

BTW Anyone who needs stock rear shocks you can have mine (they are in great shape) for FREE!
Old 02-22-2007, 06:03 PM

Honestly that sounds like a pretty outa wack suspension setup.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:05 PM

The KYB AGXs are adjustable. That makes those better, woohoo. Glad ur happy though
Old 02-22-2007, 07:35 PM
Cool Member

Hey coolmax05,
I am sold on the KYB GR2 man, now I just need some free time to get to your place. Where do you buy it from?
Old 02-22-2007, 07:53 PM

kidd4l, look at the GD section, importrp has them for a good price
Old 02-22-2007, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Glude
Honestly, that sounds like a outa wack comment.

If you don't have anything constructive to say just STFU and find another thread for your untold wisdom.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by kidd4l
Hey coolmax05,
I am sold on the KYB GR2 man, now I just need some free time to get to your place. Where do you buy it from?
Send me a PM and I'll send you my phone number. You can test drive my car and see what you think.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:47 PM
Cool Member

Originally Posted by coolmax05
Send me a PM and I'll send you my phone number. You can test drive my car and see what you think.
I have your number, i will call you this weekend. Thanks man.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:11 PM
Cool Member

Originally Posted by eK9aT10pSi
kidd4l, look at the GD section, importrp has them for a good price
Thanks, I will check it out.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:24 PM

If you don't have anything constructive to say just STFU and find another thread for your untold wisdom.
Untold wisdom? Sorry but I just don't see why u would throw springs on the front with stock struts and leave the rear stock with Gr2s.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:59 PM

Untold wisdom? Sorry but I just don't see why u would throw springs on the front with stock struts and leave the rear stock with Gr2s.
Priority 1: Level car while minimizing ride quality

I threw springs on the front (only), to level the car as much as I could while minimizing compromising the ride quality ( if I throw them on the rear I am contradicting the basis of MY operation).

Now I'll throw in "to each his own".

Got slightly improved handling while the front end dropped only 1.25 inches (oh well). The ride quality is almost exactly the same.

Then I focused on improved handling.
Added rear sway bar and got a little better-then went to the Max Summer pole positions which helped a whole lot (the tires).

Still felt I could stiffen the rears without taken a significant hit in ride quality.
Added the rear KYB GR2's...Fricken PERFECT--I LOVE IT!!! PERIOD.

To each his own...There are things I don't like about your car but appreciate the fact that YOU do. Therefore, why uneccesarily rain on your parade... especially since I have not driven your car.

Now you sir are amused by attempting to refute with rude, inappropite- hear say...with what you believe to be "the poor bastards fakin' himself into thinking he actually likes his set up".

Really all I'm saying is "get a life". 1.8 post a day is a bad sign.

You'll probably raise it even more by replying again when I begged you to go somewhere else. I'm done.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:30 PM

Nice to see you took time outa your day to check out my stats. I was unaware that I posted that much, I guess being a member here for 4+ years takes its toll on post count. And I didnt think I was being rude, just offering my opinion which u were quick to call me out on because apparantly u have something to prove.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:06 PM

Maxima handling like it's on rails? YES PLEASE!
Old 02-27-2007, 11:59 AM

I drove the car round trip from Phoenix Arizona to Las vegas Nevada (about 700 miles).

The trip was a blast. I got a chance to do some very high speed turns with bumps in them as well as low speed manuevers. There is a lot of construction going on in Vegas so I went over some huge potholes, bumps, and road irregularities. The maxima handled everything with aplomb. A lady friend commented on how smooth the car was but then again she drives a H2. Needless to say I am very pleased with the way the car handles and rides.

For those of you considering HR springs be prepared for a measly 1.25 inch drop but you will maintain great ride quality. Doing only my fronts the rear of the car is still lower by .75 inches. For the best leveling HR springs are not the way to go. I do imagine they are easier are on stock struts though.
The fronts are rated for 1.5 inche drop while the rear is rated for 1.25 inch drop. Only a .25 difference???

If I had it to do all over again I will probably go with the Eibachs on all 4 corners. The Eibachs lower the fronts 2 inches while only reducing the rears by only .8 inches. I have ridden on progress and found them to be pretty stiff. I hear the Eibachs ride better than progress-->and I'm pretty sure the HR springs ride better than Eibachs.

My only complaint at this time is the front is still noticably higher than the rear altho it is 1.25 inches better than before.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:19 PM

very nice......... i plan on buying some struts, lowering springs and Nismo Front and Rear stabilizer bars...

I want to do all 3 installs at once... where did you go to get them installed? Hook me up man...
Old 02-27-2007, 08:06 PM

With regard to differences in suspension setups; spring brands, strut and shock brands and how they are packaged together for both the appearance and the ride quality, I think, is a very personal decision. Each of us hear can agree that the OEM wheel gap on the Max is UGLY!!!! But the ride "quality" is a very subjective topic, I don't think it is as black and white/ right or wrong as some say. Some folks will enjoy the ride feel of being slammed and riding on 22s, while some will like a moderate drop and a little more aggressive spring/stut combo and some will like stock.... and all will be "correct" with their setup for ride quality and handling desires. If it were a "one size fits all" solution to finding the "correct" setup then the guys in NASCAR and other auto racings would all have the same setup on Sundays, yet they don't. They each like the car to handle/perform in a certain way and that why they go with different shock setups, spring rubbers, traction bar adjustments, tire pressure, etc to get their car to handle the way they want it to. But heck, what do I know, I haven't changed my stuff yet, hopefully I'll have some money left over after I pay my friggin taxes to Uncle Sam!!
Old 02-27-2007, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by BadBlackMaxSL
With regard to differences in suspension setups; spring brands, strut and shock brands and how they are packaged together for both the appearance and the ride quality, I think, is a very personal decision. Each of us hear can agree that the OEM wheel gap on the Max is UGLY!!!! But the ride "quality" is a very subjective topic, I don't think it is as black and white/ right or wrong as some say. Some folks will enjoy the ride feel of being slammed and riding on 22s, while some will like a moderate drop and a little more aggressive spring/stut combo and some will like stock...
You said a mouthfull pal.
I will say this though, the vast majority of us want our cake and eat it too.
What I'm sayin' is we want supple ride quality along with race inspired handling while eliminating the huge front gap in the wheelwells. On Maximas we have to work hard at it all tho we get a lot of car for the money.

BMW's, Mercedes, Porshe's and such, spend serious money up front and have the added benefit of rear wheel drive to acchomplish this blending of the two worlds that are diametrically opposed to one another. Lets face it-great handling and a cushioned ride are tough to get at the same time. And yes it's subjective. However, there are cars you jump into and ya better hold on hard to your coffee if you ever expect to use your privates again. Then there are cars you jump into and ya better do that 30mph turn at 25mph or risk damaging your privates (yes I love coitus). This what I love about adjustable suspension. Woman in car dial 1. Woman out of car dial 7.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:19 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
The KYB AGXs are adjustable. That makes those better, woohoo. Glad ur happy though
for the KYB AGX, awesome gas shocks and 8 way adjustable for street or track (helps eliminate the squat because of FWD)...

Great work on your handling upgrade...
Old 02-28-2007, 10:01 AM

Hey Chernmax,

That is one hell of a "hotrod" you have there. I checked your website and it is a oustanding one. Your attention to detail is amazing. One hell of a car to say the least. Your mods are unbelievable. Needless to say, you know a hell of alot about 6th Gen Maximas.

Very, very nice job on your ride! I am indeed humbled...

BTW Thanks for serving soldier. I was in the navy as well (4 years). I was in Diego Garcia (yes the IO) back in 1980. It was pure mayhem. I kissed the ground when I arrived back in the States.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:57 AM

everyone here gets butthurt WAY too easily
Old 02-28-2007, 10:58 AM

Watch out, they'll label you a "hater" and everyone will end up crying because you don't like their stuff.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by tehaviator
everyone here gets butthurt WAY too easily
I know, wait till they venture into another area of maxima.org, I am one of the nice people.

Originally Posted by tehaviator
Watch out, they'll label you a "hater" and everyone will end up crying because you don't like their stuff.
Not worried about that, ive been here 4+ years so the people who **** talk about me obviously have no clue and the ones who have been around as well usually just sit back and listen since they know I will only speak the truth, im NOT one to spread false info. Anyways, im not trying to cloud this guys thread, if the suspension setup suits his needs than thats ok with me.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:29 AM

Hey Chernmax,

That is one hell of a "hotrod" you have there. I checked your website and it is a oustanding one. Your attention to detail is amazing. One hell of a car to say the least. Your mods are unbelievable. Needless to say, you know a hell of alot about 6th Gen Maximas.

Very, very nice job on your ride! I am indeed humbled...

BTW Thanks for serving soldier. I was in the navy as well (4 years). I was in Diego Garcia (yes the IO) back in 1980. It was pure mayhem. I kissed the ground when I arrived back in the States.
Thanks for the feedback, yes I've done a lot but I also get fresh ideas from other members so I owe a lot to various Orger for helping me make "Red Heat" a fun car to drive...

Great to know theres another shipmate on the Org, there are others too, just takes time finding them... :thumbsup
Old 03-01-2007, 06:20 AM

Great to know theres another shipmate on the Org, there are others too, just takes time finding them... :thumbsup[/QUOTE]

Serving proudly in Norfolk, Virginia!!! Go Navy, 21 years and counting. LT Submarine Ordnance Officer (LDO)

Mike
Old 03-01-2007, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mike
Great to know theres another shipmate on the Org, there are others too, just takes time finding them... :thumbsup

Serving proudly in Norfolk, Virginia!!! Go Navy, 21 years and counting. LT Submarine Ordnance Officer (LDO)

Mike
Sorry OT

Hey shipmate LT Surface Ordnance Officer (LDO 6160, Ret) (Former Gunner Mate Missiles Chief, served May 1980-Feb 2004), currently I'm a Defense contractor in Southern Maryland working to support NAVAIR clients at Patuxent River Naval Air Station...