6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

And now my latest trick...

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 02:18 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

And now my latest trick...

Ok-before I get flamed just remember my main goal.
#1 Maintain outstanding ride quality*
#2 Lower and level car*
#3 Drastically improve handling*
#4 Keep lady friend happy so I get desert*
Ok I'm busted #4 is actually #1.

I lowered the front of the car with H&R springs. Front end was still higher than the back end by 3/4 of a inch. I installed the rear springs. It was great at first..then they settled (ride got rougher). This resulted in rear of the car being 2 inches lower than the front of the car. Altho my ride quality was still better than Progress springs the degradation was still more than I liked. I felt the improvement in handling was not worth the degradation in ride quality. Neither did my lady friend (the power of the womb was overwhelming). Plus I like my rear end in cars like my ladies-not sagging. I had to do something...

I removed the rear springs and threw the OEM springs back on. Back to a 3/4 inch sag. Then I did the unthinkable. I threw spacers on the rear springs to level the car. You may now begin the flaming. Man that's HOT!!!

For those of you with weak stomachs please shut off your computers.
I can't be responsible for these gruesome pictures some of you are about to witness. I will say this much in my defense. Goals #1-4 have been met.
Lady friend rode in car and then promptly fed me. Even got desert.
God this car is smooth. I LOVE the handling and the leveled look. It is higher than everyone else with lowering springs, but lower than everyone else without lowering springs. This is the result of too many illegal activities in the 70's...Ok I've stalled enough...

I'm pretty sure my butt will start sagging again sometime in the future. Until then I'll enjoy the ride!

This is how it looked before.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:17 AM

At least it looks good
Old 03-17-2007, 04:59 AM

That was definately a creative idea. I applaud your way of thinking. I haven't lowered for a couple of reasons. One of which was one of yours as well. I bought an SL...why convert to an SE with a stiffer ride? I love my nephews SE, but his is also a standard tranny, so it feels like a a rocket with his new tight suspension. Just like it should. Mine is an autotragic, so it wouldn't be the same to me.

The other reason I haven't lowered mine is because I am afraid I won't be able to get into my driveway to tuck 'her' in at night. My driveway bit my nephew's car once.

I like your way of thinking. Lower but make the ride just a touch softer than the full stiffness. I would like to see your pictures in a couple of days when she settles a bit. I also like the even ride. And from the sounds of 'other things': Mission Accomplished.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:00 AM

Um...where's your grille?
Old 03-17-2007, 05:43 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by 4MySwee
Um...where's your grille?
LOL, that's the first thing I noticed!!!

Great level look...
Old 03-17-2007, 07:30 AM
SmokinMaxSE

Looks good.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:11 AM
MDS

Coolmax05, no flames from me! I installed four spacers in each rear spring from day-one in my car. It raised the backend just enough to make the car appear level. Most important when I drive at night with two or three people in the backseat, the back end no longer sags and turns my low beams into high beams. The spacers also significantly firm the rear suspension and noticeably improve handling. They make the car feel more solid.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:59 AM

Thanks for the responses. I'm still waiting to get flamed.

Wow MDS you're coming out of the closet too huh. LOL
Maybe there are others who feared saying so but did the same thing.
Let us all come together and say "our rears are spaced butt we are proud"!
That didn't come out to well. Let me rehearse that one.

Thanks for the kind words 4myswee.

The grill is back on after epoxying on three bars across the back.
This stopped the noises and after painting does not look bad.

After 12 hours car still looks the same and is as level as can be.
I went through downtown Phoenix to test the suspension (huge potholes and construction going on). The suspension handled it extremely well. Yes the spacers stiffened the rear end a little bit. Feels great. Me happy!!!! That didn't sound too good as well. Let me say this...I am hetrosexual to the Max!
Old 03-17-2007, 10:14 AM

Nice rebuttal...let me rephrase that......glad you like it.
You're quite welcome for the compliments.....
Old 03-17-2007, 11:49 AM

Could the ride degradation happen after your springs settled b/c you also switched the shocks to the KYB GR2s, which are stiffer than stock?

Ultimately though, you reached your goal of lowering, leveling, maintaining ride comfort and getting some booty. I think that can be considered a successful operation. The only other thing you could do to really make the Max look good is to paint it BLACK!!
Old 03-17-2007, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by BadBlackMaxSL
Could the ride degradation happen after your springs settled b/c you also switched the shocks to the KYB GR2s, which are stiffer than stock?

Ultimately though, you reached your goal of lowering, leveling, maintaining ride comfort and getting some booty. I think that can be considered a successful operation. The only other thing you could do to really make the Max look good is to paint it BLACK!!
It's true that the combination of rear lowering springs and KYB GR2's is a stiff one-but add to that a sagging rear end and at least two goals went down the tubes. Also remember, there is a Progress rear sway bar back there as well. I could have went back to OEM RSB & OEM shock and I'm sure the ride quality would have been just fine but one of the goals would have not been met (leveling).

Black is beautiful but tough to keep clean looking. If our cars were together for a couple of weeks without car washes I'd surpass you in the looks department. Can we say "Jungle Fever"? Yes sung by Stevie Wonder...I'm sure the KKK can't stand that song. LOL

BTW I'm Black in a white car & you're probably White in a black car. As they say, opposites attract. Jungle Fever!!!
Old 03-17-2007, 01:59 PM

Hey now, I'm white in a white car. Does that make me 'white on white?'
Old 03-17-2007, 04:13 PM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by coolmax05
This is how it looked before.
Def looks better now, hey what rims are those...2007? Frig I'm wondering if those rims would clear my BBK...... can you help a brother out? and measure the distance from caliper to the inner wall of a the wheel spoke? I want to get a set to use on the track and in winter time

Kamski
Old 03-17-2007, 08:19 PM

did you get an alignment after doing all that work?
Old 03-17-2007, 08:31 PM

lol looks good
Old 03-18-2007, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by 2LEET4U
did you get an alignment after doing all that work?
I got a alignment after the front spring installment.

Did you get your Progress springs installed today?

Can't wait to see your ride after it's finished bud.

I bet you're going to love the look.
Old 03-18-2007, 02:48 PM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

Coolmax: Got yoru msg today.. Im glad all worked out for you! I would stll like your help on hte install part... I also bought some HID"s .... have any idea on how to do those ... Ill buy ya beer and lunch...and maybe a suns game. Im hte biggest suns fan in CA hahah
Old 03-19-2007, 07:42 PM

You could have used a Mr Gasket Coil Spring Spacer or other urethane spacers at the low end of the spring. I guess this is cheap and it works. Desert time.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:51 PM
Banned

No grille FTW
Old 03-20-2007, 12:35 PM

car looks great with those rims. I just bought a white max. myself and am looking to put a light tint on the windows. I can't remember what the maximum percentage tint you can have here but it's not much. I don't feel like getting pulled over every day!!!
Old 03-28-2007, 09:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I like it. I always found it a little funny how the front tires (wheel well) is higher than the rear ones. Why have they not made the stock car more level?
Old 03-28-2007, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by coolmax05
Can we say "Jungle Fever"? Yes sung by Stevie Wonder...I'm sure the KKK can't stand that song. LOL

BTW I'm Black in a white car & you're probably White in a black car. As they say, opposites attract. Jungle Fever!!!
OT. Stevie Wonder is one of my all time favorite, along with Barry White and Luther Vandross (Went to his concert a few years before he died, awesome show) Yupp, white guy, black car.

Your car looks great, it must be nice to live in a climate where your car can stay clean for a good while after washing it. We are always battling the weather here, rain, sleet or snow and with spring here, it will be the heavy green pollen dust.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:38 PM

all good but

all good ideas and I'm with you all the way except for one point, get those spacers out and replace with a full block that goes at the top or bottom of the spring, that type of spacer is really really bad for the springs. I've been wanting to lower the front of the car to level it out as well and very interesting to know that it takes more than jsut lowering the front.

thanks for the post and pics!!
Old 03-28-2007, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by digitalfish
all good ideas and I'm with you all the way except for one point, get those spacers out and replace with a full block that goes at the top or bottom of the spring, that type of spacer is really really bad for the springs. I've been wanting to lower the front of the car to level it out as well and very interesting to know that it takes more than jsut lowering the front.

thanks for the post and pics!!
I'm a hearin' ya bud. I got my spacers in the mail and will be installing them soon. Thanks for all the feedback.

Regarding lowering the fronts only-with H&R springs it won't level the car.
but Progress or Eibachs will. If you're not to concerned with ride quality degradation then go with Progress or Eibachs. You can even use a spacer on the rear of one of the aforementioned.

Trust me, I am not done yet...