6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Cigarette Lighter & Power

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 04:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Cigarette Lighter & Power

How many of you guys wished when you were out of the Maxima that you could charge your cell phone or MP3 player?

I know I do. So has anyone connected the DC going to the cigarette lighter for 24/7? I searched and could not find. Does anyone know a easy quick way of doing it?

If not then I will be the first. I will post pics on how to do it and the entire process. "I need more POWER"...24/7!
Old 05-21-2007, 06:43 PM
KC's FINEST

Better check up on your insurance policy...
Old 05-21-2007, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by KCmaxx
Lots of vehicles including my last vehicle have 24 hour power to the cigarette lighters.

What does this have to do with insurance? Do explain.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:56 PM

what exactly do you mean by 24 hour power? are you talking about keeping the power flowing to the cig lighter even after turning off the car? if so, that's easy to do. just wondering how long your battery will last before it drains?
Old 05-21-2007, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by TrojanNemo
what exactly do you mean by 24 hour power? are you talking about keeping the power flowing to the cig lighter even after turning off the car? if so, that's easy to do. just wondering how long your battery will last before it drains?
What I mean is power flowing to the cigarette lighter socket only. Forget the heating element.

In order for current to flow there must be a closed circuit.
In order to drain a car battery it would take a whole lot of energy/power.
The amount of energy/power to charge a MP3 player or Cell Phone is infinitesimal compared to the amount of energy/power stored in a car battery.
One good thing, if it does drain the car battery you can call a tow truck. LOL But then we get into paradoxes.
Just don't leave it plugged in for weeks at a time--all tho I have done it in the past with no ill effects.
Also, there is no need to hide. Hiding to long will definetly drain your energy a lot faster.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:27 PM

umm....my 07 maxima has a 24/7 cigarette lighter in the center console

i have a d/c to a/c converter hooked upto it so i can use my laptop and surf the net whenever i want...!
Old 05-22-2007, 10:37 AM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Yep it would proly take weeks or months to drain the battery, that is correct!
Old 05-26-2007, 07:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

No power available to my center console power point, 06 maxima SL

hello people,

Thought you guys could help me out, seems like some people here have a good awareness of power points in cars..here is my problem,

Recently i was trying to hook up my Ipod FM transmitter to the center console( near the shifter) and realized no power...took out my transmitter to find its end hollow...thought it got stuck in the power point..was in a hurry and so...tried messing with the power point and i guess i accidently pulled /twisted part of the power point...took it to the dealer and asked him to replace it...paid for it from my pocket...forgot to check if it worked...( still cursing myself)...and today, i tried to charge my phone and it would power it up..tried the other power point under the arm rest( the one ...u get to after pulling out the inside holder in the arm rest)..did not work eiher...PS i never used this power point till now since i got my car..this was the first time...didnt power up ...after trying these two power points....i tried using the one that is on the passenger side of the car...it works and powered my charger...

i can go back to the dealer and screw him for not fixing the power point that he worked on earlier...but i was surprised that all this time..the one under my arm rest didnt either...can anyone tell me what could be the reason for two of these power points not working and the third one working...are they not supplied by the same line? i dont know...just curious...

please advise , so that i can have somethign sensible to defend myself with regardign the one that i never used before...

thanks..cheers
Old 05-26-2007, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by sosbuddha
hello people,

Thought you guys could help me out, seems like some people here have a good awareness of power points in cars..here is my problem,

Recently i was trying to hook up my Ipod FM transmitter to the center console( near the shifter) and realized no power...took out my transmitter to find its end hollow...thought it got stuck in the power point..was in a hurry and so...tried messing with the power point and i guess i accidently pulled /twisted part of the power point...took it to the dealer and asked him to replace it...paid for it from my pocket...forgot to check if it worked...( still cursing myself)...and today, i tried to charge my phone and it would power it up..tried the other power point under the arm rest( the one ...u get to after pulling out the inside holder in the arm rest)..did not work eiher...PS i never used this power point till now since i got my car..this was the first time...didnt power up ...after trying these two power points....i tried using the one that is on the passenger side of the car...it works and powered my charger...

i can go back to the dealer and screw him for not fixing the power point that he worked on earlier...but i was surprised that all this time..the one under my arm rest didnt either...can anyone tell me what could be the reason for two of these power points not working and the third one working...are they not supplied by the same line? i dont know...just curious...

please advise , so that i can have somethign sensible to defend myself with regardign the one that i never used before...

thanks..cheers
Sometime over the next four days I'm going to disect the electrical system.

Stay tuned...
Old 05-27-2007, 09:22 AM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

keep me posted plz i would totally use it
Old 05-27-2007, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by sosbuddha
hello people,

thanks..cheers
Ok here's the deal. There are three separate fuses for the three cigarette sockets. They are all 15 amps.

The fuse for the passenger side power socket is called "CIG LIGHTER".
The fuse for the exposed center console cigarette lighter to the right of the stick shift is called "FR POWER SOCKET".
The fuse for the power socket underneath the storage tray is called "RR POWER SOCKET".

Here are the corresponding fuses. *NOTE I removed 2 15 Amp fuses on left*

Chances are you have a blown fuse or two. Good Luck!
For complete 24/7 power to your cigarette lighter refer to this link...http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=523505
Old 05-27-2007, 08:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

coolmax5,

thanks a bunch for the very informative info..i did find a fuse ...i guess it was broken...so..im guessing it must be one of the power sources...but i have two power outlets not working...so i ll look into it again..tomorrow..ll post what i find...from what i remember...i guess my CIG LIGHTR FUSE WAS OK, which according to ur illustration corresponds to the passenger side outlet. The RR WAS GOOD, which means that my center console should be working.but it is not..i ll confirm it tom...and the FR had a broken fuse...so..i ll verify all this and let u know..tom..but im wondering if checking the fuse is the only way of knowing if the outlet had gone bad or...are there any other ways..coz, im confused..as my RR looked good, but my center console under the arm rest outlet doesnt work either..
cheers
Old 05-28-2007, 03:27 PM
M&M

ok where the hell is the third power socket. I only know about two. One inside the armrest all the way on the bottom. And the other one on the passenger side of the center console near the floor. Where's the third one?
Old 05-28-2007, 06:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

M&M,

Guess i was referring to the power socket near the stick shift...actually next to it as the 3rd one...
Old 11-05-2008, 09:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

So did changing the fuse work because I am having the same issue and all the fuses look like they are not blown.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:36 PM

Good info. thanks....
Old 11-12-2008, 08:37 PM

good post.... I am missing my cig lighter in centre consol... Dealership tells me replacement is a plastic cap... but I have seen max's with 12v DC cig lighter...where can I get this part...just bought car and did not have...can anyone PM with some help!!!!!!!!!! thanks
Old 11-12-2008, 08:38 PM

Also missing in side passenger compartment.....Thanks for you help!!!!!
Old 11-13-2008, 07:02 AM

[quote=trance.addict;4810037]umm....my 07 maxima has a 24/7 cigarette lighter in the center console

yupp.. my 08 has the same in the armrest/center console..
Old 11-13-2008, 07:41 PM

do the o7/08 have a third socket beside the obvious dash one and the one inside the center console?
Old 11-14-2008, 07:54 AM

No sir.. lol i just know of those 2
Old 11-14-2008, 08:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by KCmaxx
can you explain?

as i work in the insurance business i'm very curious as to what this has anything to do with..well....anything?

details?
Old 11-14-2008, 09:12 AM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

Originally Posted by Torgus
can you explain?

as i work in the insurance business i'm very curious as to what this has anything to do with..well....anything?

details?
Modding your electrical on a car is a NO NO w/ insurance companies is what he was saying...

dont want your ride to catch on fire and then find out you have no coverage

is that what you were saying Kc?
Old 11-14-2008, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Fastmax05
Modding your electrical on a car is a NO NO w/ insurance companies is what he was saying...

dont want your ride to catch on fire and then find out you have no coverage

is that what you were saying Kc?
This is a very old thread.

KC (through not knowing how electricity works) thought I might catch my car on fire by way of 24/7 12 volts applied to the cigaratte lighter socket. This is very common amongst todays cars (for Ipods, cell phones, ect...).

I put a very low amperage fuse in series with the circuit so it is literally impossible for the car to catch on fire. Without the car catching on fire it is a mute point. Period!

Considering all of the Mods you see on cars on this site this is nothing in terms of fire risk.

Mods, I think it's time to close this oldie but not goodie. LOL
Old 11-14-2008, 10:12 AM

Oh by the way...it has been over a year and my Ipod and cell phone have always been charged when I need them.

My car is still has not burned to the ground as well (as you can see).

The only fire I got was from KC and there isn't any insurance to cover that.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:13 AM
Banned

lol!

1st of all it's 100% safe as coolmax05 has said. Obviously KC doesn't understand basic electronic theory, which is fine not everyone does. however not knowing about a subject and then telling an op not to do it based on the fact you don't know what you're talking about is a little absurd. that being said...

#2 insurance companies don't give a damn what you do to your car. trust me. unless when you file a claim there is something obvious that you did which made you have need to the claim, and or a reason for them to deny you.

for instance some have been known to deny claims because of the car's modified suspensions or brakes etc. it's VERY unlikely but it does happen in rare cases usually with smaller insurance companies that don't like to pay out.

if your car burnt down BECAUSE of the cig lighter being on 24/7 they could deny you. the chance of it catching on fire is basically 0 especially if he fuses it, which i will assume he will as the op sounds like an intelligent kinda guy. Also if the fire started there it's going to be hard to prove what happened and at the end of the day they'll just say faulty wiring started behind the console as everything will be burnt to **** anyways by that time.

when my ol 4th burnt down they never once knew or asked about my high wattage stereo or 0 guage runs going to my trunk in my 4th gen.

at the end of the day this mod is 100% safe and 100% legal and your insurance company isn't going to give a damn. they have much bigger fish to fry trust me.

thank you all for tuning in
Old 11-14-2008, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Torgus
lol!

1st of all it's 100% safe as coolmax05 has said. Obviously KC doesn't understand basic electronic theory, which is fine not everyone does. however not knowing about a subject and then telling an op not to do it based on the fact you don't know what you're talking about is a little absurd. that being said...

#2 insurance companies don't give a damn what you do to your car. trust me. unless when you file a claim there is something obvious that you did which made you have need to the claim, and or a reason for them to deny you.

for instance some have been known to deny claims because of the car's modified suspensions or brakes etc. it's VERY unlikely but it does happen in rare cases usually with smaller insurance companies that don't like to pay out.

if your car burnt down BECAUSE of the cig lighter being on 24/7 they could deny you. the chance of it catching on fire is basically 0 especially if he fuses it, which i will assume he will as the op sounds like an intelligent kinda guy. Also if the fire started there it's going to be hard to prove what happened and at the end of the day they'll just say faulty wiring started behind the console as everything will be burnt to **** anyways by that time.

when my ol 4th burnt down they never once knew or asked about my high wattage stereo or 0 guage runs going to my trunk in my 4th gen.

at the end of the day this mod is 100% safe and 100% legal and your insurance company isn't going to give a damn. they have much bigger fish to fry trust me.

thank you all for tuning in
I am lovin' this post. Finally some vindication.

KC is cool, he just gets over zealous sometimes.

Thanks for chiming in. And I can't agree more.

We shall feel his wrath any moment now. LOL
Old 11-14-2008, 11:41 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

I even tapped into my overhead lighting for a 24/7 power source for my radar detector. Works great and zero issues. My radar detector auto turns off so when I unlock my car you can hear my radar detector turning on!!!
Old 11-14-2008, 12:01 PM
Banned

that's pretty cool chern!

maybe i'll go make my cig lighter 24/7 now. i have some time to kill...easy enough mod.

i'm seriously getting tired of everyone saying i hate 6th gens and basically getting **** every time i post with a positive or negative comment to someone. sorry some things don't look good, some do. i was here before this section of the forums even existed.

grow up, get over it, and move on.

Last edited by Torgus; 11-15-2008 at 05:20 AM.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by chernmax
I even tapped into my overhead lighting for a 24/7 power source for my radar detector. Works great and zero issues. My radar detector auto turns off so when I unlock my car you can hear my radar detector turning on!!!
And with all those extra ponies, you especially need 24/7 power for radar protection Chern.

Now if you'll excuse, I have a car fire to attend to...
Old 11-14-2008, 01:22 PM

You can buy a kit from say, walmart?, where you can wire an outlet directly to your battery. It would be a lot more effort to change the ones in your dash.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by klemenz
You can buy a kit from say, walmart?, where you can wire an outlet directly to your battery. It would be a lot more effort to change the ones in your dash.
Or for those of you with aftermarket headunits, just tie into the yellow wire through a fuse.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by klemenz
actually no. it would be basically free.

fwiw you can buy a kit from radioshack and a million other places to hardwire an outlet to do it. but why? just use your stock one...
Old 11-14-2008, 04:56 PM

I agree so many places see these kits!!!
Old 11-14-2008, 07:14 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by coolmax05
And with all those extra ponies, you especially need 24/7 power for radar protection Chern.

Now if you'll excuse, I have a car fire to attend to...
...............and
Old 11-14-2008, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by I3LaZeN
No sir.. lol i just know of those 2
thanks
Old 03-30-2013, 02:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

MaxRookie

Came to this forum to find info on my lighter/power outlets that were non-functional. I found the answer and followed the instruction of the MaxPros! I'm up and running and so impressed with you all, that as of 2 minutes ago I'm one of your newest members! Thanks guys
Old 03-31-2013, 08:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have 2006 Maxima SE. I have 3 socket outlets. The 1st one is next to the shift. The 2nd is bottom front passenger. The 3rd is at the bottom of the armrest. In my car the FR Power Socket fuse powers the one next to the shift & the bottom of the armrest. Cig Lighter fuse powers Bottom Front Passaenger. I have a RR Socket fuse but can't find what that's for. Any ideas?
Old 04-01-2013, 06:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Download the owner manual from google its a pdf I think