Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) (https://maxima.org/forums/6th-generation-maxima-2004-2008-48/)
-   -   Door lock sticking (or not consitently working)? (https://maxima.org/forums/6th-generation-maxima-2004-2008/557201-door-lock-sticking-not-consitently-working.html)

Monotaur 03-22-2008 02:23 PM

Door lock sticking (or not consitently working)?

Hello,

I have a 2004 Maxima, and lately I've noticed that the passenger side rear door doesn't lock or unlock consistently with the key fob. I can manually lock or unlock it with the door lever, but using the keyfob doesn't always work. When it doesn't work, sometimes I can see the door lever 'twitch' a little bit, but usually the second time locking or unlocking it doesn't move at all. Rarely does it work, actually.

Any thoughts? It kind of sounds like maybe the locking mechanism needs to be lubricated, but I'm not sure. Anyone have any good instructions on taking apart the door interior?

Thanks!

esmooth 03-22-2008 03:24 PM

Hello,

I had the exact same problem that you are describing, but with the driver side rear door. The twitching of the door lever would happen also when you tried to lock/unlock with the driver's lock/unlock switch. The problem was the actuator needed to be replaced. It was fixed under warranty, so I don't know how to take apart the door. Hope this helps.

KCMAXX 03-22-2008 04:54 PM

Just use WD40.

Mine used to do it too.

Make sure and not get any on the fake suede (fabric).

jsmithsole 03-22-2008 10:15 PM

I've had 2 of mine replaced under warranty. My car is at the stealership right now for the other 2...

LandsEnd 03-23-2008 05:35 PM

I have the same problem on the front passengers side door. Maybe a recall is needed. :rolleyes:

LandsEnd 03-24-2008 03:43 PM

Does the door need to be taken apart to use the WD-40? How you take door apart?

jsmithsole 03-24-2008 05:35 PM

The dealer is blaming the place that installed the alarm now. They also said they tapped into the BCM which they should not have done...any insight??

NismoMax80 03-24-2008 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by LandsEnd (Post 6314560)
I have the same problem on the front passengers side door. Maybe a recall is needed. :rolleyes:

what's the safety concern that would warrant a recall?

also WaterDisplacement-40 does not lubricate. it repels water.

LandsEnd 03-24-2008 06:16 PM

Does lubrication fix the problem? Again if so, how you access the area?

Monotaur 03-24-2008 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by LandsEnd (Post 6316243)
Does lubrication fix the problem? Again if so, how you access the area?

I was just about to come into this thread and ask that question. :)

I fooled around with my door lock tonight trying to figure out how to best lubricate it (or use WD40...), but it looks like we'll need to disassemble the door. Is this correct? If so, for those that have done this, how do we go about doing it?

Thanks!

esmooth 03-24-2008 11:30 PM

I don't think WD40 is gonna fix your problem if the cause is the actuator. I think it is just a matter of it failing prematurely. Me thinks you're gonna have to see the dealership.

ReficuLiu 03-25-2008 01:50 PM

Crap . ..i just realized mine is getting stuck as well. . ..
I dun wanna go back to the dealership .. . .again .. . .

po8pimp 03-25-2008 02:42 PM

don't use wd40 like stated above it is not a lubricant. there are other lubricants you can buy. I recommend trying the lubricant then if that doesn't work get the part and install it yourself. don't put the door back together till you see if it works though. they aren't hard to take apart. the parts that hold them in place sometimes break because they are plastic. to take the door off you just need to pull on the bottom of the door till the plastic retainers pop off don't worry you won't damage anything other that those retainers if anything. they are cheap if you break them check autozone or schucks/checkers. then once the bottom pops off you have to pull up on the whole inside piece because it slides into a groove along the top. very easy. hope that helps

jsmithsole 03-26-2008 01:25 AM

Mine still work, they lock fine but don't unlock. It's like they have lost current when unlocking. I am going to check with my installer...

postman370 03-27-2008 04:40 PM

It must be a problem with the 2004's because mine just started having the same problem

esmooth 03-27-2008 07:11 PM

I have a 2005 and I've had the same issue as well...

Lisa-Adam 05-16-2008 05:09 AM

Door lock maintenance Keep locks from sticking so you won't be outside, knocking and kicking . Swinging doors are for saloons! Put your doorin its place!.

archit105 05-30-2009 11:46 PM

How much did it cost u guys to get it fixed at the dealership?

ss1995rip 06-12-2009 06:01 AM

mine started doing this today. any updateS?

po8pimp 06-12-2009 09:57 PM

I had my driver's side window stop working at points and it was due to the car alarm not functioning properly. Had to have alarm reset. My battery had been disconnected while in the bodyshop which reset my alarm due to it being disconnected for such a long time. This could be the same situation? Maybe take it to the place you had your alarm installed, if you have one, and tell them your locks and windows are acting funny and you want them to reset your alarm. Tell them your battery died and you had to get it jumped and the alarm was acting funny and this was a result. Should work and should be done for free if you work it right. If it is a factory alarm then I don't have any suggestions except take the lock out of the rear and install in the front to see if that fixes it. If so buy a new lock for the rear/front.

eclipticrider 06-21-2009 07:02 AM

mine started a few weeks ago... does anyone know about how much satan (dealership) will charge?

TIA

eclipticrider 06-24-2009 02:22 PM

bump... about how much does nissan charge to repair this problem, my drivers dore lock wont open/lock every so often

tia

addicted2pain 06-25-2009 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by eclipticrider (Post 7088359)
bump... about how much does nissan charge to repair this problem, my drivers dore lock wont open/lock every so often

tia

And for us do-it-yourselfers, has anyone found a place that sells the actuator aside from the stealership?

papasuede 08-23-2009 01:54 PM

I've searched and only found this thread, no true answer. I have a problem with my 07 drivers door switch (pushbutton). It works for a while then after it rains it stops working. I can hit unlock on the keyfob and it works. I can even open the doors via the passenger door switch but the drivers side, no dice.

My guess is that some moisture got into the switch either it or the ground is corroded. Has anyone had this problem and actually fixed it themselves? Could it just be that the button is worn out?

ubersl 10-07-2009 09:26 AM

Mine driver and passenger doors are doing that. Passenger for quite some time know, driver started after recent car wash. It does feel like moisture gets inside somewhere and prevents them from operating. Happened already before, but they both became operational again. Doesn't feel like a complete failure of actuators, but is there a fix for it, other than replacing them?

Oolatec 10-07-2009 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by ubersl (Post 7240704)
Mine driver and passenger doors are doing that. Passenger for quite some time know, driver started after recent car wash. It does feel like moisture gets inside somewhere and prevents them from operating. Happened already before, but they both became operational again. Doesn't feel like a complete failure of actuators, but is there a fix for it, other than replacing them?

Well, if it's the actuator that's bad/going bad... seems like the only fix will be a replacement.

If you are brave enough to take your door apart, you can see if the moisture has caused any rust/corrosion inside.

ss1995rip 10-07-2009 10:47 AM

haha, it's an actuator for sure, i've replaced it myself, and tore my tint up, had a lot of fun though

rroepsto 10-30-2009 02:28 PM

Same issue with my car (maxima 05). Driver door first (as year ago), now the door behind that.
I guess it wont be a recall since safety is not an issue.
Anyone know where to buy the actuator? I think the dealer ship charges 300$ for part?!

Oolatec 10-31-2009 10:43 AM

Get the part number and look online. $300 is ridiculous.

amansour14 11-04-2009 10:10 AM

I have similar problem with the back left door
for some reason I can not open it from inside or outside ...
it is locked ..
any one can help ?

CLK04MAX 11-06-2009 02:01 PM

I just got mine out of the shop yesterday for the front passanger door lock. All I have to say is TGF extended warranty!!! I see from others it seems to come in a domino effect....hopefully the other doors won't have the same problem.:nervous:

rutlean 11-06-2009 03:03 PM

Yeah

Originally Posted by esmooth (Post 6313207)
Hello,

I had the exact same problem that you are describing, but with the driver side rear door. The twitching of the door lever would happen also when you tried to lock/unlock with the driver's lock/unlock switch. The problem was the actuator needed to be replaced. It was fixed under warranty, so I don't know how to take apart the door. Hope this helps.

Same thing for me...

LandsEnd 11-06-2009 04:15 PM

Live with the issue. Not a big deal. Its just a manual old fashioned door lock now. A little exercise doesn't hurt.

po8pimp 11-07-2009 08:00 PM

EBAY is your friend for these situations. I would start there for part searching. 300 is way too much for that part. Also try taking the lock apart as a last resort. You never know what kind of problems you could fix just by fiddling with it. Could be something loose or even gunked up.