6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

weird engine whine noise

Old 01-18-2009, 03:50 PM

I agree with bob
Old 01-18-2009, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by turbizzy
Really? I've never heard about this. Only time i've seen the VQs burn oil has been when they've sucked in damaged catalyst material into the exhaust ports and have had oil consumption but i've never seen this after a timing chain tensioner repair. Why would it? Your only messing with a couple O-rings and gaskets not related to the head gaskt or cylinders in any way. Can you show me where folks are having oil consumption issues after having the timing chains updated?

I haven't seen any excessive oil burning ever since the repair. I racked up about 2000 miles since.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:29 AM
reb

There are 2 or 3 posts floating around the recent archives either here or an the other Max forums. I would not have posted this if it were not actual info I read. Don't have the time right now to track those links down, but if pressed I will. And you can search as well. They are out there.

And let me ad that this Nissan timing chain issue is a massive f*ck up. On par with the GM plastic intake/gasket/dexcool issue. Hiding behind a TSB is a major mistake, the Kind that can and will lead to a loss of future business. Nissan needs to voluntarily recall ALL vehicles that have the "defective" plastic tensioner. F*cking your customers that are not sharp enough to notice this issue (before 60K) is in reality f8cking yourself. I give Nissan two yrs until they face bankuptcy again.

Last edited by reb; 01-19-2009 at 07:35 AM.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by reb
There are 2 or 3 posts floating around the recent archives either here or an the other Max forums. I would not have posted this if it were not actual info I read. Don't have the time right now to track those links down, but if pressed I will. And you can search as well. They are out there.

And let me ad that this Nissan timing chain issue is a massive f*ck up. On par with the GM plastic intake/gasket/dexcool issue. Hiding behind a TSB is a major mistake, the Kind that can and will lead to a loss of future business. Nissan needs to voluntarily recall ALL vehicles that have the "defective" plastic tensioner. F*cking your customers that are not sharp enough to notice this issue (before 60K) is in reality f8cking yourself. I give Nissan two yrs until they face bankuptcy again.

Well im almost sure the timing chain tensioners did not cause oil consumption, it may have been from other issues such as the cat or whatever but theres no real way for this to happen. They're not gonna make it a recall because its not safety related... unless the govt makes them but thats unlikely.

And I wouldn't worry about Nissan too much, i understand your frustration but this isn't the first time Nissan has dropped the ball on something and they've survived. Case in point all the early Titan/Armada brake issues, all the early 04 Quest issues, all the 350Z front tire issues and now these timing chain issues. They're not gonna go bankrupt, they're not even asking for any help right now. Don't worry about it too much, they'll survive.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:40 PM
reb

BTW, since you have been so helpful. And I sincerely mean that. I had to have the entire upper dash assembly changed out in my Wifes '08 SL. A bubble formed under the soft plastic dash material just to the right of the center HVAC dash air outlet vents (the farmost left portion where the airbag is housed). Dealer said that another car had come in a few weeks earlier for the same problem. If you read the service manual, this involves removing mucho amounts of interior to do the job. The new replacement dash started to have a raised lip in the same area a few weeks later. So far (6 months now)no bubble has returned.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:00 PM

I just got back from the dealer and i'm having the same issues with 75K
Old 01-24-2009, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by kenjio6
I just got back from the dealer and i'm having the same issues with 75K
good luck with that one. did they give you a quote yet for the repairs?
Old 02-05-2009, 09:00 PM

Ok guys just thought i'd update the info and say that while at Nissan Training last week i asked what the differences were in the new tensioner guide material and they told me the problem is moreso with the secondary chains having a sharp sawtooth design. They said that was wearing the plastic down alot so the newer chains are smoother. Didn't mention the materials being any different so im sure the new tensioner guides are prob just a beefier design.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by sabretooth
Just bought 2006 Maxima with 60k milage. Few days after I started driving I noticed the same whining annoying sound above 2K RPM. I was ignoring it and didnt want to face the reality that I just bought a car with this annoying sound.
However after reading the forum I decided to take it in. Tech at the Nissan dealer was like "we changed the catalytic converter, plz see if the sound is still there" (catalytic converter was changed due to service engine light, and has nothin to do with the sound).
I went out started the engine and the sound was there, called the tech (guy at the front desk) to check it out, he did a quick check and went back in by saying "oh let me send a mechanic out"
After 5-10 minutes he came back and said they will replace the parts, it will take 2-3- weeks to order so we will call you once the parts are in.
I was like - what parts ?? he goes "the belt assembly blah blah". I threw in the tensioner related tech stuff. He goes, yes we will replace the whole assembley and they will "take care of it"
All along the conversation it seemed like they knew what the issue was and they dont fix it untill you complain. I give them partial credit for the "we will take care of it" part of the deal
Stay tuned for the rest of the update, I wil update once my "assembly" is changed. Thanks again for everyones great input, it was a huge help.
All, I got my whole chain assembly changed finally. I tell you it is day and night difference. And all was covered and didnt have to pay anything, my car has 60k on it. Thanks for everyones input and support, and excellent detailed descriptive messages.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by AscendantMax
good luck with that one. did they give you a quote yet for the repairs?
about $1600
Old 03-03-2009, 09:36 AM

Turbizzy,

First off, Thank-you for the information..

Secondly, I have this exact sound lately with my 05 Altima se which has just over 81,000 with an extended warranty.

My questions are the oil consumption.. How bad is this issue? how durable is the vq if i monitor the oil every 500-1000 and change frequently.

What about durability of the chains despite the annoyance of sound?

The tensioners if left untreated how long until they go? I've been hosed by the dealership before where they literally damaged my car requiring a new transmission for a simple clutch install. I don't trust the dealers yet have this dilema.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:32 PM

You don't really need to worry about oil consumption on this model year, only the 2006 2.5L Altimas had issues with oil consumption and thats why they released a recall to check the crankcase pressures.

Let me make this clear, the secondary timing chain whine issue this thread is about is not caused by any oil consumption issue nor will it cause one. All that happened was Nissan began using a sharp "saw toothed" style secondary chains that begin wearing away at the plastic tensioners and eventually wear through to the tensioner piston causing the whine sound. The fix is replacing the chains with less sharped linked chains and new tensioners.

As far as how long it can it go untreated i can't say for sure. I had a 2005 Frontier the other day with 115k
miles and the noise was pretty bad. We did the work at full boat since it was out of warranty. Just goes to show it was still running ok at almost 120k.

But if you've got an extended warranty i'd say get it done soon. Maybe even knock out 2 birds with one stone and have your 90k major service done at the same time. Since youll be gettin new coolant, engine oil and filter might as well have the dealer do the tranny service and the remainder of the service. Remember to ask for a discount since some stuff will be done under the chain replacement.

Last edited by turbizzy; 03-03-2009 at 10:35 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:17 PM

oh boy, mine sounds like video 1 every morning when its cold. Luckily i'm at 58k miles, so I have 2k miles before the warranty is over. Maybe I should do the 60k mile service a little earlier and have my dealer check over my timing chain. I havent noticed any whining though, I gotta pop the hood and listen to it when i get a chance. That sounds like a lot of work to fix a problem like this and may have to leave it at the dealer for a few days.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:14 AM

You don't really need to worry about oil consumption on this model year, only the 2006 2.5L Altimas had issues with oil consumption and thats why they released a recall to check the crankcase pressures.

Let me make this clear, the secondary timing chain whine issue this thread is about is not caused by any oil consumption issue nor will it cause one. All that happened was Nissan began using a sharp "saw toothed" style secondary chains that begin wearing away at the plastic tensioners and eventually wear through to the tensioner piston causing the whine sound. The fix is replacing the chains with less sharped linked chains and new tensioners.

As far as how long it can it go untreated i can't say for sure. I had a 2005 Frontier the other day with 115k
miles and the noise was pretty bad. We did the work at full boat since it was out of warranty. Just goes to show it was still running ok at almost 120k.

But if you've got an extended warranty i'd say get it done soon. Maybe even knock out 2 birds with one stone and have your 90k major service done at the same time. Since youll be gettin new coolant, engine oil and filter might as well have the dealer do the tranny service and the remainder of the service. Remember to ask for a discount since some stuff will be done under the chain replacement.

Why would an 05 with only 81,000 consume about .5 to .75 quarts per 500 miles then? That can't be normal...

I haven't ruled out the 5 speed tranny but I believe that is a different "whine" which occurs in 2nd and 3rd gear. Is that a sign of worn bearings?
Old 03-05-2009, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by rich2342
Why would an 05 with only 81,000 consume about .5 to .75 quarts per 500 miles then? That can't be normal...

I haven't ruled out the 5 speed tranny but I believe that is a different "whine" which occurs in 2nd and 3rd gear. Is that a sign of worn bearings?
Could be. Yeah thats alot of oil being burned. There are some issues with the 3.5 burning oil but that was really only addressed in the 350Zs. The fix was a new HR longblock.

I've done a couple 3.5L short blocks for oil consumption, a 2003 Altima and a 04 Murano. Both engines developed oil consumption issues when the cats started breaking down and began getting pieces sucked back into the exhaust ports and eventually taking out the rings.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:40 AM

Is there any way to tell if this has happened to my car? The stock headers looked pretty rusted when i had my y-pipe installed recently. I was actually concerned looking at them. What signs would i be noticing if it had?
Old 03-07-2009, 12:50 AM

Well sometimes it will set a P0420/P0430 cat efficiency codes. You can pull off the header pipe and look inside the cats and make sure the material is still good and maybe gently poke the honeycomb with a screwdriver and see if it moves around at all. Or if they're off the car then just look at both ends of the cats. Sometimes the header pipe will have cat material inside of it too.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2004 Maxima SL
59,400 Miles
Powertrain expired 3 weeks ago

..and guess who is likely going to need the tensioner fix?
Old 04-17-2009, 01:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

05 @ 45k

i too heard the whining noise starting two months ago. It got louder and then I found this thread! Big props to the starter and contributors. I will need a new timing chain that is on order and should be in soon. It fell under warranty as stated and the dealer has given me a verbal on a rental car as well. The repair is said to take at least a few days.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:39 PM

glad your dealer took care of you!
Old 04-20-2009, 10:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just an update..

Went to the dealer today. Not the dealer where I originally bought the car. Explained the issue, whining sound around 2000-2500 RPM's. After an hour or so of waiting, I'm diagnosed with an alternator issue. Repair should run about $1G less than the timing chain fix.

This sound plausible to everyone?
Old 04-20-2009, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by TreySmooth
Just an update..

Went to the dealer today. Not the dealer where I originally bought the car. Explained the issue, whining sound around 2000-2500 RPM's. After an hour or so of waiting, I'm diagnosed with an alternator issue. Repair should run about $1G less than the timing chain fix.

This sound plausible to everyone?

If dealer diagnosed correctly then I would say pick-up an altearnator from http://www.car-part.com for about $150 then find one local repair shop around and get it installed.

Last edited by Sarara; 04-20-2009 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Sarara
If dealer diagnosed correctly then I would say pick-up an altearnator from http://www.car-part.com for about $150 then find one local repair shop around and get it installed.
As a dealership tech i have to disagree with this statement for obvious reasons. But seriously though, if you have a dealer diagnose something and another shop does the repair and it turns out to not fix your problem, the dealer is not liable whatsoever for the misdiagnosis so technically you'd be out the money spent at the dealer like you weren't even there. The way it works is the dealer will diagnose something and give you an estimate, you agree and they perform the repairs. If there is a scenerio where they repair does not fix the problem, the dealer should continue on with the diagnoses for free. A shop won't care if it fixes it or not, so case in point you should have the dealer fix it, period.

As far as the whining noise being the alternator, that is highly possible. I've heard that sound before, its typically a lot higher pitch than the timing chain noises we're describing in this thread. Alternators aren't cheap either, but just remember if you have the dealer do the work, you also get a 12month/12k mile parts and labor warranty. If it goes out again or whatever, you will be 100% covered no questions asked. If you buy an aftermarket alternator with a "lifetime warranty", all that means is they'll swap you out your bad one for another remanufactured one (that might go out again later on due to cheap parts) but your still responsible for the labor so thats something else to consider when having the dealer do the work

Last edited by turbizzy; 04-20-2009 at 07:35 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:42 AM

As a dealership tech i have to disagree with this statement for obvious reasons. But seriously though, if you have a dealer diagnose something and another shop does the repair and it turns out to not fix your problem, the dealer is not liable whatsoever for the misdiagnosis so technically you'd be out the money spent at the dealer like you weren't even there. The way it works is the dealer will diagnose something and give you an estimate, you agree and they perform the repairs. If there is a scenerio where they repair does not fix the problem, the dealer should continue on with the diagnoses for free. A shop won't care if it fixes it or not, so case in point you should have the dealer fix it, period.

As far as the whining noise being the alternator, that is highly possible. I've heard that sound before, its typically a lot higher pitch than the timing chain noises we're describing in this thread. Alternators aren't cheap either, but just remember if you have the dealer do the work, you also get a 12month/12k mile parts and labor warranty. If it goes out again or whatever, you will be 100% covered no questions asked. If you buy an aftermarket alternator with a "lifetime warranty", all that means is they'll swap you out your bad one for another remanufactured one (that might go out again later on due to cheap parts) but your still responsible for the labor so thats something else to consider when having the dealer do the work

Or he can find someone else and have them diagnose (lets hope they find the same alternator issue) and have them repair with 12mo/12k warranty. It will be 50% cheaper than dealer. Dealer = Big NO NO because of labor charge period.
Old 04-21-2009, 07:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Appreciate the advice, Sarara and turbizzy. I can respect the difference in opinions from one coming from the dealership end, and the other, obviously, not, lol.

I ended up going with the dealer, mainly for peace of mind. My Max was bought used at a Mitsubishi dealership, so I wanted to ensure a Nissan shop did the work. My main concern was the timing chain & tensioner as discussed in this thread, and I was actually mildly relieved to find out it was the alternator. I don't really want to be bouncing getting work done and re-diagnosed when we're talking these dollar amounts ($800 for the alternator, labor, and swapping a few belts).

I'm in the dealer's waiting room right now, taking advantage of their wifi, and almost feel like that Dane Cook skit about dealerships. "Seven thousand dollars? I would love to pay seven thousand dollars. Thank you for not ****ing me big time."
Old 04-21-2009, 12:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

another update..

..left the dealership with a new alternator, power steering belt, and compressor belt, just over $700, plus the $50 diagnostic from yesterday

as soon as my car hits 2500-3000 RPM's, the whinning/wherring sound is there again. the tech noted yesterday during the diagnostic, that when taking off the main belt, the sound did not occur, which lead him to believe it was the alternator. this would also eliminate the timing chain tensioner issue, correct?

ugh, i'm going to call back in a few minutes. two days spent in a dealership waiting room, i am not eager to go back for more.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by TreySmooth
..left the dealership with a new alternator, power steering belt, and compressor belt, just over $700, plus the $50 diagnostic from yesterday

as soon as my car hits 2500-3000 RPM's, the whinning/wherring sound is there again. the tech noted yesterday during the diagnostic, that when taking off the main belt, the sound did not occur, which lead him to believe it was the alternator. this would also eliminate the timing chain tensioner issue, correct?

ugh, i'm going to call back in a few minutes. two days spent in a dealership waiting room, i am not eager to go back for more.
I had a reason to say Big NO NO for repair work at dealer. Talking from my experience, I spent over $1100 so far to eliminate diesel type engine noise in my car. Lucky they charged you only $50 to diagnose as I paid $89.99 for every diagnose visit. First visit diagnosed oil and filter crap. Second visit diagnosed belts. Thirs visit diagnosed fuel dampers. Forth visit diagnosed exhause clamps. Fifth visit diagnosed too many miles (WTF??) for 89k miles car.

They quoted me once $480 to change rear hub assembly and I end-up spending only $80 and replaced it myself in 3 hours. They quoted me around $450 I believe for spark plugs change and I am planning on changing them myself for $90 plus some change.

Of course every dealers are different but for me they all the same
Old 04-21-2009, 06:38 PM

any new updates on this issue from anyone? I'm starting to get a whine only when I accelerate/decelerate...however there is no noticeable whine during idle....

I'm trying to figure out though whether it is my aftermarket headers or in fact this secondary timing chain issue...
Old 04-21-2009, 07:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hindsight is 20/20. I'll be getting a re-diagnosis on Thursday. I'll keep you all posted =\
Old 04-21-2009, 09:29 PM

Well that sucks bro, but at least now you can drop the car off and they should be able to fix it for a really good deal. At least thats how we do business. I will agree with Sara, all dealers are different but in the end, they do have alot more financial backing than a mom and pop shop would so rest assured your car is safe. Make sure to express your frustration and tell them about the known chain issue, see if they can do a goodwill or something. Maybe they can work something out. Remind them that technically they sold you a part plus labor for something that was not needed. Drive belts get removed to do the chains anyway so usually i just throw those in if they need em, just charge the customer for parts, no labor.

And just some advice, make plans on just dropping the car off and gettin a ride. See if the dealer has a loner car or ask them for a courtesy rental. If it is the chains, the job might take into next week so plan ahead. If they plain and simple don't wanna help you out, contact Nissan Consumer Affairs, im sure theyll be happy to hear about this.

Last edited by turbizzy; 04-21-2009 at 09:31 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:18 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks turbizzy and Sarara, I appreciate the advice. Definitely a ****ty spot to be in for sure. I'll let you know how things turn out on Thursday.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:16 AM

just an update: technical service bulletin on the Altima

have to replace the timing chains and get new tensioners installed, that is what the whine is, fully covered under warranty thank goodness, 2500$ job over 2 days...

oh well, at least it's getting fixed! my car is parked until then!

thanks for the information guys, I would not have gone to the dealership if I had not read this thread. gl to everyone else that has this issue!
Old 05-02-2009, 06:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i have a 2005 Quest (brother of maxima) and there is some kind of whistling noise at idle since around 9,000km. Currently, at 45,000km the problem still there. Nissan Canada does not admit there is a problem. i went to a few dealers, either they don't admit there is a problem and say it is normal. I am sure it is not coming from the belt and the steering pump. There is a moment of whistle after releasing the gas pedal (doesn't matter is is in Drive or in Neutral). Just wonder for those who has the repair, does your also make whisting noise at idle?
Old 05-02-2009, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Cleankill
i have a 2005 Quest (brother of maxima) and there is some kind of whistling noise at idle since around 9,000km. Currently, at 45,000km the problem still there. Nissan Canada does not admit there is a problem. i went to a few dealers, either they don't admit there is a problem and say it is normal. I am sure it is not coming from the belt and the steering pump. There is a moment of whistle after releasing the gas pedal (doesn't matter is is in Drive or in Neutral). Just wonder for those who has the repair, does your also make whisting noise at idle?
Hmmm well have you listened to the videos in the beginning of this thread? The timing chain whine noise is more of a lower pitch whine sound, i wouldn't really call it a whistle. I can't say i've ever heard a "whistle" from a VQ35, but i have noticed the timing chain whine noise does occur right after releasing the gas and the engine winding down around 2,000 rpm. Can you get a video of this whistle sound? Do you know the area its comming from? Front or rear of the engine (by the drive belts or by the air filter area)?

Last edited by turbizzy; 05-02-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:39 AM

my timing chain tensioner needs to be replaced..i am awaiting the phone call for the qoute on how much...if im gonna replace the tensioner, is there anything else that i should replace while its gonna be worked on in that area...got 121k on mine
Old 05-06-2009, 01:20 AM

Not really... I mean if you wanna be super cautious about it you can also have your rear timing cover O-rings replaced but that would require the upper oil pan removal. Its a bit more labor but at least your engine won't leak oil from those crusty O-rings around 200k like the 4th gen VQs do.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

A/C compressor?

Well, I haven't checked the videos (can't watch at work), but have you guys run your A/C lately? If it's blowing hot, I guarantee your problem is the A/C compressor. Mine went out due to a leaky hose-- you'll have to find and replace that, too. The noise came from the passenger side and it was horrible, especially during acceleration. I also have a 6th gen, so I'm just saying, check it out...
Old 05-06-2009, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by barbear1978
Well, I haven't checked the videos (can't watch at work), but have you guys run your A/C lately? If it's blowing hot, I guarantee your problem is the A/C compressor. Mine went out due to a leaky hose-- you'll have to find and replace that, too. The noise came from the passenger side and it was horrible, especially during acceleration. I also have a 6th gen, so I'm just saying, check it out...
it was definitely not my AC. i posted the pics of my worn out tensioners on the the 2nd page.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:43 PM

turbizzy,

would the timing chain hurt preformance and acceleration? becuase my acceleration is terribible in low gears...also would it cause the tranny fluid to burn? sounds farfetched but my tranny works fine once it catches gear but if im cruising and barely pressing the pedal like in a neighborhood my engine whines really loud like an overloading computer and then catches gear(really embaressing), not hard but just picks it up..my rpms are a little bit high from when it should shift but not anything crazy..i mean its been doing this for about the last year or so...i mean if it was the tranny it would have gotten progressivly worse or even **** the bed on me by now right?
Old 05-06-2009, 06:45 PM

i cant figure it out...i thought it was a bunch of other things but i just wasted my money fixing other parts that didnt really needed to be replaced...its annoying...and no havent gone to the dealer to get it checked..prob should...doesnt nissan do like a 130 point inspection of something?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: weird engine whine noise