6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

4 Ohm subs

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 10:08 AM

4 Ohm subs

Would putting in 4 ohm after market (pioneer) 8 inch subs hurt the factory sub amp on a non-bose system? Ive read that the rear door speakers are 4 ohm, however the rear deck subs are actually 2 ohm...

Will putting in 4 ohm subs hurt anything???
Old 11-20-2008, 10:36 AM

i suggest you put an amp for that set up becasue i did what you want to do and little by little my speakers started to stop workin. like i took out the original subs the car came with and put in a sub alpine type r and the two rear door speakers stoped workin so just redid it and put an amp still waitin to replace my two rear door speakers (no money) but yea
Old 11-20-2008, 10:59 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think the speakers are all 2ohm. You cannot replace them and use the Bose amp. Get an aftermarket amp to drive you sub box or free air subs.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:40 AM

I thought the speakers rear are actually 1 ohm, so yes they will work but not for long. Could be wrong though on the ohm comment.

Last edited by VigilanteMax; 11-20-2008 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by maktro
Would putting in 4 ohm after market (pioneer) 8 inch subs hurt the factory sub amp on a non-bose system? Ive read that the rear door speakers are 4 ohm, however the rear deck subs are actually 2 ohm...

Will putting in 4 ohm subs hurt anything???
In my opinion it wouldn't hurt anything at all. Why? Because the lower the ohmage on the speaker the more stressed out the amplifier driving it will be. You are doing the opposite.

The classic way of getting more power out of a amplifier are lower ohmage speakers. The downfall...HEAT! The amplifier runs hot due to this simple equation. Voltage over resistance equals current. Resistance is measured in ohms. Clearly, the current will go down. Power equals current times voltage. So you will have less power transfered into the 4 ohm speakers.

So, the higher the output resistance of a amplifier in referance to a lower resistance speaker the better the power transfer. And visaversa...

The problem you're going to run into is a sorry OEM amplifier trying to drive 4 ohm speakers that are probably not as efficient. The net result will be very low output in terms of dB. In other words, it will sound worse. So you will have that baby cranked to the max all the time so you can hear it wich will result in a blown amplifier.

Your best recourse is a inexpensive aftermarket mono or stereo amplifier. They can be had for just over a hundred bucks.

Do it right or don't do it at all. That's my two cents (worth about as much).

Last edited by coolmax05; 11-20-2008 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by coolmax05
......The problem you're going to run into is a sorry OEM amplifier trying to drive 4 ohm speakers that are probably not as efficient. The net result will be very low output in terms of dB. In other words, it will sound worse. So you will have that baby cranked to the max all the time so you can hear it wich will result in a blown amplifier.

Your best recourse is a inexpensive aftermarket mono or stereo amplifier. They can be had for just over a hundred bucks......
Agreed. Get an after market amp and sub box. You can still take out the stock "subs" and let the bass from your box come up through the holes. The system will sound better if they are removed.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:14 PM

Thanks for the input guys. Kindof was hoping this would be an easy swap...in all honesty, didn't know stocks were 2 ohm when i was buying the subs. Oh well, didnt pay too much for them...
Old 11-20-2008, 02:24 PM

Just put them in anyway and get an amp. It will be fine. Just make sure your amp is stable bridged to 2ohm if you wire your Pioneers in parallel or you can just get a two channel amp and put one channel to each Pioneer. Modding is almost never "easy".

I have a step by step on replacing those rear deck speaker here:
http://www.6thgenmaxima.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2404 it was some work but I am happy with the results. I will be updating that thread or starting a new one soon with some pics of my MTX subs that I recently switched too.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:18 PM

"I have a step by step on replacing those rear deck speaker here:
http://www.6thgenmaxima.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2404"

Big time props to you apollo2. Great write up!!!
Old 12-13-2008, 01:13 PM

Non-Bose to Bose

So after reading and analyzing all this... the majority of owners on here really dislike their stock and Bose premium systems and suggest aftermarket... I do want to say I appreciate that all of you guys have that ability and know-how to teach us "audiologically challenged" how to properly establish a good system according to your preferences into your vehicle. I have the non-Bose system and have wanted to switch to the Bose system partially because I received all 4 door speakers and the 2 Bose subs for free after I told him two of my speakers were busted.. he just didnt know that I had non-Bose.. With that being said... the Bose speakers I have are only 2 years from an 06. I dont really want to go and buy speakers for an aftermarket system because I dont mind the Bose system... my cuz has an 08 and I like the sound...

My question is, though, besides those 6 speakers and the 6-disc Bose headunit (which I can get for 40.00 with a phone call :-D) what else would I need to do to my Max to get that system in there working??? Any help is much appreciated.. I'm just tryin to get those 2 busted speakers out of there...I may be in the wrong place but any hellp or .02 regarding installation would be helpful!
Old 12-13-2008, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Propa Teknique
So after reading and analyzing all this... the majority of owners on here really dislike their stock and Bose premium systems and suggest aftermarket... I do want to say I appreciate that all of you guys have that ability and know-how to teach us "audiologically challenged" how to properly establish a good system according to your preferences into your vehicle. I have the non-Bose system and have wanted to switch to the Bose system partially because I received all 4 door speakers and the 2 Bose subs for free after I told him two of my speakers were busted.. he just didnt know that I had non-Bose.. With that being said... the Bose speakers I have are only 2 years from an 06. I dont really want to go and buy speakers for an aftermarket system because I dont mind the Bose system... my cuz has an 08 and I like the sound...

My question is, though, besides those 6 speakers and the 6-disc Bose headunit (which I can get for 40.00 with a phone call :-D) what else would I need to do to my Max to get that system in there working??? Any help is much appreciated.. I'm just tryin to get those 2 busted speakers out of there...I may be in the wrong place but any hellp or .02 regarding installation would be helpful!

I would repost your question as a new thread in the audio section. There is a huge amount of audio "know how" over there. That's where I figured out what I wanted to do with my system.

As for a direct answer for you question, I think the Bose system is 8 speakers. 4 up front, 2 in the back doors and 2 subs. I know there is an amp for the system as well. You can see it attached to the underside of the rear deck in one of the pics I posted. I don't know if there are any other amps in the system or not though.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:04 PM

Okay thanks for your help! I will do that now!
Old 12-14-2008, 05:31 PM

bose setup is 6 speakers 2 in front, 2 doors, 2 rear deck. The 2 in front are comp's which have 2 tweaters. I think you can deffinitly put the bose in a non bose with what you have. You will need to buy a bose amp which I have and don't mind parting with. Im me if interested. Reason you need the amp is because it not only drives the subs but it drives the speakers too.

As for the original thread you can use the original OEM Amp as long as you bridge the two subs to the amp. here is a writeup from crutchfield.com

A common way to get a 2-ohm stable amp to produce the extra power it delivers at lower impedance is to wire your speakers in parallel. Remember — while series wiring always raises your impedance, parallel wiring always lowers it.
To wire your speakers in parallel, connect the positive (+) leads of both speakers to the amplifier’s positive (+) terminal, and the negative (-) leads of both speakers to the amp’s negative (-) terminal. You can increase your system’s impact dramatically by hooking up two subwoofers (in parallel) to each of your amp’s channels.
After you complete the wiring, break in your subwoofer properly. Play the sub at low volume for approximately
20 hours to condition it before you turn up the volume. This will improve the sub’s performance and lifespan.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:42 PM

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/woofer_wizard.asp this is an awesome tool for wiring so check it out based on your application. Hope this helps.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:04 AM
Banned

1) wrong section of the forum to post this in...
2) spend some $ and buy a real system and stop trying to mickey mouse it together. if you don't have the scratch then save up.