6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Noisy Air compressor,Scaring Me

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 01:41 PM

Noisy Air compressor,Scaring Me

Hey Guys, I have a annoying noise that only happens when I turn the Air conditioner on, sounds like a da-n generator or something. Has anyone else experienced this? Its on a 2004,SL with lot of miles, thing is the only service ever documented at the Dealer was a new air compressor, so it is fairly new OEM part. Would it be the bearings in it? the belt loose, or what? Please help it is 90 degrees already, last thing I want to tear up,by the way I have ice cold air its just noisy.maxman7
Old 04-24-2009, 02:19 PM

maybe they put a bad rebuilt one in????

it could be the belt too. you or someone is just gonna have to get in there and check and see if the belt is loose
Old 04-24-2009, 02:29 PM
GrandPa

Check the belt tensioner to see if its broken. Mine was broken and I replaced it, no more noise.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:20 AM
KC's FINEST

Hey Guys, I have a annoying noise that only happens when I turn the Air conditioner on, sounds like a da-n generator or something. Has anyone else experienced this? Its on a 2004,SL with lot of miles, thing is the only service ever documented at the Dealer was a new air compressor, so it is fairly new OEM part. Would it be the bearings in it? the belt loose, or what? Please help it is 90 degrees already, last thing I want to tear up,by the way I have ice cold air its just noisy.maxman7
Old 04-25-2009, 06:58 AM

wtf kc?
Old 04-25-2009, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by maxman7
Check your ac belt, probably needs a tightening. Also could be your tensioner, and lastly your compressor.

Originally Posted by KCmaxx
Old 04-25-2009, 12:00 PM

noisy A/C

Hey guys sorry I never get any replies on here so I havnt checked it. Im the one with the noisy A/c. I know the A/c is a new OEM replacement cause I saw the Dealers records personally, I will check the tensioner but there is no wobble or play in belt when engine is running. That may not mean nothing. It may be the electric fans cuz they kick on anytime ya turn A/C on (dont they?) I t is not a horrible loud noise just a groaning sound but surely they didnt come from factory sounding annoying. I really wanted to know how loud or quiet other 04-08 max were, cuz I am so paticular about stuff it may just be Me, if so it dont sound like I would expect a $34,000 car to use A/C.As I said it has freezing cold air so. Does these compressors have oil in them? If so is it possible to change it without a big expense? Thanks for help I got three kids in this car so I need My air it is 90degrees today.maxman7
Old 04-25-2009, 12:18 PM

May be low r134a freon in your AC system.

Get hvac gauge and check your freon, if low then recharge yourself or have someone to do that job.
Old 04-25-2009, 03:07 PM

These cars are built like 90's fords IMO. My A/C is damaged and I only used it a total of 6 times. Heater works fine but had problems with air in the system at one point. I love the design exterior and interior of this thing and the engine, but everything else seems to be crap on these things. Suspension, ABS, Shimmy, Exhaust sheild, Rear frame, armrest, Driver's seat harness, Battery draining issues, Transmissions, Oil consumption, 40ft turn radius, etc. The list is never ending. Not to mention most are Very expensive repairs. Wait about 5 more years and everything will be figured out and solved as far as problems with this car and then it will be the best vehicle to own. Turn radius will suck forever but the rest have a bright future ahead. I apologize for venting but Nissan is pi$$ing me off with putting all these problems on our hands as consumers. $30k+ on a good looking exterior and interior is not worth it to me. If I knew then what I know now I would have bought a Fiero and built if from the ground up and put a Lambo body kit with a LS1 engine in it for around $25k.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:31 PM

RE noisy A/C

Well I agree all things All things nowadays are way overpriced specially cars, I think it is directly related to the newer generations of people, They are lazy,spoiled,selfish,prideless and work at places that overcharge us for their products.I am a Supervisor at a Woodworking factory I used to hire Younger Men for their fitness but now I hire older cuz the Young men are just Punks. Anyway to get 8 hours over, no pride in workmanship and no initiative. Thats Me venting for whAt I see round Me. I am 32yrs old My wife is 26yrs old We have three kids. I see that behavior in my wife and kids, it is why our country is in the mess it is in, NO SELF PRIDE, I wont eat food at restaraunts anymore cuz People dont care if Ya get poisoned or not They cant get off the damn cell phones long enuff to care. We are gonna get fussed at for talking bout wrong subject. I DO HAVE TO SAY THOUGH THE MAXIMA I HAVE IS AMAZING, IT HAS 224,000 MILES ON IT (ALL HIGHWAY) AND LOOKS AND RUNS PERFECT SHORT OF THE NOISY A/C. I HAVE HAD IT 4 MONTHS ONLY SO I DONT KNOW IF THE A/C JUST SUPPOSED TO SOUND LIKE THAT OR IF IT IS WORE OUT, SOMEONE SUGGESTED CHECKING THE REFRIGERANT IN IT,THAT WOULDNT HAVE ANY EFFECT ON THE NOISE FACTOR,WOULD IT? I CHECKED THE TENSIONER IT IS FINE, HASNT GOT A SPECK OF DIRT ON IT OR ANY DAMAGE. I CANT REALLY TELL IF BELT IS LOOSE OR NOT AS I DONT HAVE ANYTHJING TO MEASURE DEFLECTION WITH. DONT SAY FEEL OF IT I DONT CARE WHAT PEOPLE SAY YA CANT TELL BY HAND UNLESS THE THING IS SUPER LOOSE,TO GET A TRUE TENSION AND NOT HURT BELTS OR PULLY BEARINGS BY OVERTIGHT BELT,BEEN THERE BEFORE, ANYONE GOT A CREATIVE WAY OF CHECKING TENSION ? I USED TO USE ONE OF THOSE HOOK SCALES THAT YA HANG STUFF ON AND A SPRING READS LBS. BUT I DONT THINK I COULD GET THAT IN THAT AREA. SERVICE MANUAL SAY 94KG OF PRESSURE TO CHECK DEFLECTION WITH. MAXMAN7
Old 04-25-2009, 07:07 PM

If you have loose belt or belt tensioner then you may be getting that noise. Your visual inspection only can find if you have this problem.

If belt and tensioner are fine but your compressor pulley do not turns and makes loud squealing noise means you have locked-up compressor. Your visual inspection only can find if you have this problem.

If your belt, tensioner, and pulley are ok and if you hear hissing noise when you turn on your AC means definitely you are running low on freon. That means low pressure cycling switch prevent your compressor clutch to engage with your compressor outer pulley. You can also see that the center of the compressor does not turns with outer pulley. Your visual inspection plus cheaper pressure gauge only can find if you have this problem.

You have given three easy checkpoints. Try them and if you still hear that noise then it's time to wipe some plastic at dealer.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by po8pimp
These cars are built like 90's fords IMO. My A/C is damaged and I only used it a total of 6 times. Heater works fine but had problems with air in the system at one point. I love the design exterior and interior of this thing and the engine, but everything else seems to be crap on these things. Suspension, ABS, Shimmy, Exhaust sheild, Rear frame, armrest, Driver's seat harness, Battery draining issues, Transmissions, Oil consumption, 40ft turn radius, etc. The list is never ending. Not to mention most are Very expensive repairs.
Yes there are alot of problems lol. 04-06 seem to have the bulk of these issues...u get power and looks over quality craftsmanship
Old 04-27-2009, 07:12 AM

Yes the fans have bearings too and can make the noise. I have a UDP and was getting your similar noise from a basically new gates belt. Switched to a nissan belt and viola...no noise. even if your tensioner is tight, still maybe a belt. With the miles on your car could easily be the fans as well. Start simple and tighten the tensioner. You may have to loosen the tensioner bolt first then tighten the cylinder screw in the engine bay, then tighten the tensioner bolt. Hope that makes sense. If that doesnt fix it...change the ac belt. If that doesnt fix it a recharge could help but doubtful. G/L
Old 04-27-2009, 08:31 AM

I don't know about you guys, but I have had no problems as of yet on mine. Had it for over a year now, I just do regular oil changes and maintain the damn thing.

Is it only on some of the 04's or on ALL 04 to 06 models ?
Old 05-04-2009, 07:31 AM

noisy A/C

Thanks Guys, for the helpful info, It is confirmed. It was electric fans all along. but not the bearings. it seems the two rubber gromets that dampen the top of the radiator were tottaly rotten,I cant believe something so minor caused that. I had some forming rubber so it didnt cost me a dime. Forming rubber is similar to bondo in that ya have a chemical reaction but the rubber never gets all the way hard. I used a small cup as mold and then my dremel tool to finish took 20 minutes tops. It still has a little noise when hood is up but cant hear from interior like before. I would say bearings are little wore,but from my experience them damn fans are loud when they are new. I dont care if they sing all day as long as it isnt my compressor.maxman7
Old 06-27-2011, 05:08 PM

I know this is an old thread but it was the only that I searched and found was remotely relevant to the situation I'm having. My car makes a very weird noise when I turn the air on, when I'm accelerating, and when I'm idle. It's quite loud and its gets louder the faster I go. When I'm driving on the interstate and I'm driving at a constant speed it stays constant. I thought I needed freon but I put freon in it three weeks ago. I had a broken high pressure hose and was told that was the problem so I replaced it and it still did the same thing. The air is NEVER ice cold, even when I put it at the lowest (60 degrees). When I'm driving, the air will go from cold to hot in a matter of 20 minutes. If it's a hot day (every day here) it gets hot in like 10 minutes. When it rains, it will stay cold like yesterday on an hour trip back home it remained cold. Another thing is when the air starts to go from cold to hot, there is weird smell that the AC emits. Nothing putrid, but it's like a stale smell similar to when you leave the refrigerator door open for a long time. I went to several shops and they aren't too sure what it could be. Before going to the dealership and pay 95.00 bucks I want to get some of you guys, "the experts" opinions on what the issue could be. The past week has been 102 degrees and up and I just need to get this fixed.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Propa Teknique
I know this is an old thread but it was the only that I searched and found was remotely relevant to the situation I'm having. My car makes a very weird noise when I turn the air on, when I'm accelerating, and when I'm idle. It's quite loud and its gets louder the faster I go. When I'm driving on the interstate and I'm driving at a constant speed it stays constant. I thought I needed freon but I put freon in it three weeks ago. I had a broken high pressure hose and was told that was the problem so I replaced it and it still did the same thing. The air is NEVER ice cold, even when I put it at the lowest (60 degrees). When I'm driving, the air will go from cold to hot in a matter of 20 minutes. If it's a hot day (every day here) it gets hot in like 10 minutes. When it rains, it will stay cold like yesterday on an hour trip back home it remained cold. Another thing is when the air starts to go from cold to hot, there is weird smell that the AC emits. Nothing putrid, but it's like a stale smell similar to when you leave the refrigerator door open for a long time. I went to several shops and they aren't too sure what it could be. Before going to the dealership and pay 95.00 bucks I want to get some of you guys, "the experts" opinions on what the issue could be. The past week has been 102 degrees and up and I just need to get this fixed.
Good ole' Lafayette! I love that place.....My 2003 Maxima makes a noise when the A/c is on "only", so all that crap about the tensioner, belt tighteness is all hog wash! If it were any of those they would be making that noise all the time.....I believe it's the A/c clutch bearings or the Compressor bearings generating the squeally cricket noise....If it were the compressor bearings with 120K on it it would be leaking by now, So I'm looking at the A/C Clutch bearings being the actual culprit when under a load/engaged!!!! Go eat one of those "Ole Tyme Grocery" shrimp Poboy for me please....I lived there for about 7 yrs working as an A&P aircraft tech @ PHI....
Old 07-01-2011, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
Good ole' Lafayette! I love that place.....My 2003 Maxima makes a noise when the A/c is on "only", so all that crap about the tensioner, belt tighteness is all hog wash! If it were any of those they would be making that noise all the time.....I believe it's the A/c clutch bearings or the Compressor bearings generating the squeally cricket noise....If it were the compressor bearings with 120K on it it would be leaking by now, So I'm looking at the A/C Clutch bearings being the actual culprit when under a load/engaged!!!! Go eat one of those "Ole Tyme Grocery" shrimp Poboy for me please....I lived there for about 7 yrs working as an A&P aircraft tech @ PHI....
So you don't think it's the actual compressor but the bearings that I may have a problem with? Would that explain why the A/C goes from cold to hot in a matter of minutes? Do you think I should just buy a used compressor and bearings and change it out? BTW, I went to Old Tyme and got a poboy! Il est tres magnifique et delicieuse!
Old 07-01-2011, 10:20 PM

Your's sounds like the compressor itself....Mine is still blowing ice sickles and snow but it's been making this squeaky cricket noise for at least 5-6 yrs...I'm not sure the dealership's $960 compressor replacement is a guaranteed fix...I'm trying to find a reliable compressor in this untrusted aftermarket....
Old 07-04-2011, 09:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Mine has been making this noise for years...I just laugh and put up with it cause I only use Air a few days in the summer....the rest of the year it's ok. With the Air off the "crickets" can make a bit of noise at idle then it goes away once the car is warm. No big deal. Air works fine. I have an underdrive pulley and use Gates belts ....I read up stream that this could be one of the problems ....oh well.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:40 PM

I bought my 05 used in 09 with 69,000 miles on it. Mine has made a clunk/thump off and on since I bought it (now has a little over 87,000 miles). Sometimes the clunk when I turn it on is so violent the belt squeals for a 1/2 second and sometimes it makes no noise at all. It'll freeze your nipples off though so until it just stops working I'm not touching it.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It could also be the air con compressor bearing. If you don't use the compressor enough the bearing will seize. Even in winter you should us the AC just to get the thing moving.