6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

How do you remove door panels?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 10:35 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How do you remove door panels?

Has anyone removed their door panels? How hard/easy is it and when they went back on the car, did they fit ok still? How much do they weigh?

I think I might want to remove 3 of mine for weight-savings for my upcoming race.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:01 AM

mad easy...

pop-out your window controls with a flat head... and disconnect the harness (make sure your window is rolled down so you don't scratch anything like your tint etc.

take the silver/woodgrain trim off with a small flathead...there is clips holding it on.

There is 2 phillps screws underneath that.

Take off the cover that's by your inner handle. That's another screw. (3 total) after that. it should come off it's just clips holding it on...
Old 05-16-2009, 11:10 AM

Awesome. Any idea what they weigh?
Old 05-16-2009, 11:46 AM

they dont weigh too much.. but if you took 3 off i bet it'd bel ike 20-28lbs
Old 05-16-2009, 01:17 PM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

20-28 lbs LOL... nice range..

Dues man you are going to tear up that track.. Cant wait for update on race day and vids !!
Old 05-16-2009, 01:46 PM

Thanks. By the way, i took the car out for test drive last night up in the mountains too see how the Azenis tires handle. OMFG, I couldnt get them to break loose!! They grip like mad. They didnt make a peep as I went over 100 mph down the canyon from Mt Baldy. When I race, the car is going to be over 150 pounds lighter than last night too, and the suspension will be on full stiff.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:13 PM

door panels are at least 10-15lbs each. They are super easy and go back on with no problem. I have taken just about everything out of the car and the front seats are by far the heaviest. Our cars are 61-39 weight distribution. If you could get it to (65-70)-(35-30) then you would be set. You did mention that you can't break the tires loose but I would check some real harsh cornering and see if you get em loose then. If so you might want to shift a bit more weight up front. suspension adjustment would do the job. Once you find the weight you want then take it to a place that can weigh the car and adjust your suspension there to make it where you need it. Put a mark on your suspension so that way you know where to set it. Not sure if your suspension can do this but when you get coilovers it will work nice. Make sure you set up some cameras so we can see some vids. would be pretty sweet if you had a frontmount and rear mount camera so we can see what you see.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by po8pimp
door panels are at least 10-15lbs each. They are super easy and go back on with no problem. I have taken just about everything out of the car and the front seats are by far the heaviest. Our cars are 61-39 weight distribution. If you could get it to (65-70)-(35-30) then you would be set. You did mention that you can't break the tires loose but I would check some real harsh cornering and see if you get em loose then. If so you might want to shift a bit more weight up front. suspension adjustment would do the job. Once you find the weight you want then take it to a place that can weigh the car and adjust your suspension there to make it where you need it. Put a mark on your suspension so that way you know where to set it. Not sure if your suspension can do this but when you get coilovers it will work nice. Make sure you set up some cameras so we can see some vids. would be pretty sweet if you had a frontmount and rear mount camera so we can see what you see.
I actually dont want weight up front. It causes the car to understeer or push. I want the rear to swing out more so i crank the adjustable KYBs to 8 and it stiffens the rear big time. I keep traction control on to control the slide of the front tires
Old 05-16-2009, 11:38 PM

doesn't the traction control actually make you lose power?
I mean it is designed to control the tire so it does not spin right meaning less power applied. Might want to rethink the traction control thing. I had a mustang rental with that crap and the first thing I did was turn it off when I got in it. I want all the control not a computer which could limit my cars ability. You are the track master though. I don't autocross anymore and have yet to do it in this car so I will take your word on it. Front wheel drive cars have a hard time getting away from understeering. Lighter in the back allows the back end to move around a bit more. I would put a different type of rated tire on the back to allow for a little sliding. I mean use Z rated up front and maybe R or S at the rear. I mean you won't be going that fast and your spinning will happen up front so the rear shouldn't have an issue unless you go over the rating which I think is like 140mph. If your tires are as sticky as you claim then they should be fine for a little understeer.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:46 PM

http://www.drivingfast.net/car_contr...t_transfer.htm this is a good link for weight distribution. Here is one for Understeer and how to keep it from happening http://www.drivingfast.net/car_control/understeer.htm#7 . Hope these help.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:23 PM

Still thinking about panel removal. Id love another 30 lbs off
Old 05-28-2009, 07:22 PM

do it, it's real easy... door handle led mod thread has instructions I think.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:09 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

doesn't the traction control actually make you lose power?
I mean it is designed to control the tire so it does not spin right meaning less power applied. Might want to rethink the traction control thing. I had a mustang rental with that crap and the first thing I did was turn it off when I got in it. I want all the control not a computer which could limit my cars ability. You are the track master though. I don't autocross anymore and have yet to do it in this car so I will take your word on it. Front wheel drive cars have a hard time getting away from understeering. Lighter in the back allows the back end to move around a bit more. I would put a different type of rated tire on the back to allow for a little sliding. I mean use Z rated up front and maybe R or S at the rear. I mean you won't be going that fast and your spinning will happen up front so the rear shouldn't have an issue unless you go over the rating which I think is like 140mph. If your tires are as sticky as you claim then they should be fine for a little understeer.
If I remember correctly, Deus like my Max does not have TDC.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
I actually dont want weight up front. It causes the car to understeer or push. I want the rear to swing out more so i crank the adjustable KYBs to 8 and it stiffens the rear big time. I keep traction control on to control the slide of the front tires
That was what my reply was referring to.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:24 PM

I have traction control but I usually keep it on because I have a bit of a heavy foot and the traction control forces the power to back off until traction is gained. A lack of traction usually means slower speeds, with certain exceptions. When I am doing the high speed gates, which is around 70-80 mph in my car, a lack of traction can be a disaster. The TDC keeps the car planted extremely well.

If someone can get me a linkie (since Im working on other projects on the car) for the door panel removal, Ill give it a whirl. I just dont want to wreck the door panels or trim
Old 05-28-2009, 08:29 PM

easy to do. remove the little square piece inside the door handle and then the screw. use a small flathead to remove the switch piece which also pulls up and forward. then the piece that runs from front to back that you pull the door closed with pops off and has two screws under that. take them out and pop the panel off from the bottom up around the sides. then up and out the panel comes out. very easy. once you do the first one you can take the rest off in about 3 min each. here is the link you need http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...d-install.html

Last edited by po8pimp; 05-28-2009 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:50 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
I have traction control but I usually keep it on because I have a bit of a heavy foot and the traction control forces the power to back off until traction is gained. A lack of traction usually means slower speeds, with certain exceptions. When I am doing the high speed gates, which is around 70-80 mph in my car, a lack of traction can be a disaster. The TDC keeps the car planted extremely well.

If someone can get me a linkie (since Im working on other projects on the car) for the door panel removal, Ill give it a whirl. I just dont want to wreck the door panels or trim
Damn wasn't sure if you had TDC, damn I have an early Max because TDC was not available when I bought my Max.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:32 PM

easy to do. remove the little square piece inside the door handle and then the screw. use a small flathead to remove the switch piece which also pulls up and forward. then the piece that runs from front to back that you pull the door closed with pops off and has two screws under that. take them out and pop the panel off from the bottom up around the sides. then up and out the panel comes out. very easy. once you do the first one you can take the rest off in about 3 min each. here is the link you need http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...d-install.html
Maybe I need a thinner screwdriver. I dunno.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:10 AM

good luck on ur races man...
Old 05-30-2009, 07:03 AM

Thank you!!