Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) (https://maxima.org/forums/6th-generation-maxima-2004-2008-48/)
-   -   R2C intake in the works! (https://maxima.org/forums/6th-generation-maxima-2004-2008/590618-r2c-intake-works.html)

Oolatec 05-20-2009 08:32 AM

R2C intake in the works!

Ok, I will just cross-post from "elsewhere"... :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's their site. I know I've mentioned them in a few other threads... but now I think it's time to start one specifically about these guys.

http://r2cperformance.com

After 2 months of back and forth... mostly me and my stupid schedule, I was finally able to take my car in today for them to do an evaluation. They removed my Fujita, and did a 3D scan of the intake area... boy that was interesting. They used some $30,000 piece of equipment hooked up to a laptop, and before long, had the whole intake section of the engine bay scanned.

So this week, and part of next, the engineers are going to be working on a new CAI (actually a short-ram with a heat shield around the filter that seals up nice to the hood... which means it will be a lot easier to clean... a lot) this week... and I'll hopefully hear from them next week after they get a working prototype put together for a test fit/drive.

I must say... these guys are huge on R&D... they design their own filters, and tubing... everything from scratch. Even the military has been using their filters in the Humvees and some tanks too. Pretty impressive stuff. And best of all, for us lowly car enthusiasts, is the cleaning of their filters... just some compressed air from inside-out, and that's it!

Their filters are the least restrictive ones I have seen... and don't require any oiling or washing. A few other 6th Genners here were at the Z meet in Evanston IL back in March... that's when I ran into these guys.

Of course, more updates... most likely next week... :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The dual intake for the G37 is $439 shipped with the group deal via paypal going on at:

http://myg37.com/forums/supporting-v...take-sale.html

Keep in mind, that's really for two intakes (and the metal tubing).

I'll try and get an idea as far as price for us next week. I'd guess (with a good bit of confidence) that it will come in evenly with Nismo... probably cheaper than Takeda.

Seriously guys... I have been so impressed with this company. As evidenced in the myG37.com thread, they have had some growing pains with their move to the end user mod market, but they seem to have worked out the kinks.

And some more info I guess I forgot... the tubing for our intake would be similar to that in the 350Z:

http://www.r2cperformance.com/nissan350m.html

It's some proprietary rubber/plastic mold that they came up with, which would keep the air a lot cooler than all the other CAI systems that use metal tubing. I really am quite stoked about this... I can't wait for next week to see what they have come up with! :banana:

Once the ball is rolling and design has been completed, I know they will do a group deal for us... :)

There's a poster over there that even put up a review... and video:

http://myg37.com/forums/intake-and-e...xflow-cai.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course, I'll know more next week (I hope) when they get a prototype put together, and I go back for a test fit/run... But I just wanted to give everyone a heads up about a new intake option that's in the works for us... :)

silverbeast2004 05-20-2009 08:40 AM

Those look awesome!!! How much do u think they'll run at for our cars?

Oolatec 05-20-2009 08:46 AM

Not sure quite yet... like I said, the pricing I have quoted is for a dual system for the G37... I would guess, cheaper than Takeda, comparable to Nismo... probably somewhere between Fujita and Nismo. :)

These guys are huge on R&D... while most other companies just design the tubes and outsource the filters from elsewhere, R2C does everything in-house.

Apollos2 05-20-2009 09:25 AM

I'll be watching. Ideally we need a filter that is some sort of combination of the OEM and CAI. The OEM provides better power at lauch because of the velocity of the ram style intake that it is, but on the highway the CAI really brings in the power much better.

Oolatec 05-20-2009 09:33 AM

Which is exactly what the R2C intakes are! The heat shield around the filter will keep the hot air from the engine bay away... :)

three.fiveSE 05-20-2009 11:05 AM

This looks really nice. Thanks for the info... I have been wanting a short ram style, but have not been sold on the nismo. Keep us posted as to details please!

Oolatec 05-20-2009 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by three.fiveSE (Post 7039392)
This looks really nice. Thanks for the info... I have been wanting a short ram style, but have not been sold on the nismo. Keep us posted as to details please!

Yeah, I had a JWT short-ram in my '99 SE, and swapped it over to my '04 when I bought it. I took that thing out pretty quickly. It was doing more harm than good, performance wise... heck, it was doing that in my '99 but back then I just didn't know... all the hot air being sucked in really bogged it down, plus the oiling of the JWT... screws with the sensors (MAF/o2), and you have to be very careful how much you oil one of those. Too little and you aren't getting good enough filtration. Too much, and there go your sensors.

Oolatec 05-20-2009 09:53 PM

A G37 owner posted some pics of the black chrome system... so damn hot! Don't be lazy... click!!!!!

http://myg37.com/forums/2636932-post692.html

http://myg37.com/forums/2637352-post694.html

Oolatec 06-01-2009 08:10 AM

A quick update:

Thanks for the help with the stock system.

We have already started the process of making the intake tube. We'll test a
few configurations to determine which provides the best performance and
cosmetic appeal.

We may produce a plated aluminum tube similar to the G37 system and make it
available in several finishes.

I'll keep you advised.

Thanks again,
Ed
:)

SmokinMaxSE 06-01-2009 09:13 AM

Very nice ! Will the filter look like the one for the G37? Sweet deal man,keep working on it. Since the guys are in Illinois can they install mine too?:D

Oolatec 06-01-2009 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by SmokinMaxSE (Post 7057126)
Very nice ! Will the filter look like the one for the G37? Sweet deal man,keep working on it. Since the guys are in Illinois can they install mine too?:D

They are still testing. If the aluminum tubing yields more gains than the rubber/plastic tubing they have for the G35/Fords, then they will definitely go with those.

I am sure, once these are for sale, that you could actually go there and they'd install it for you. :)

m_turner_02 06-01-2009 11:36 AM

I wonder if these will be compatible with the 3rd gen altima? I am pretty sure nismo and fujita can be used on both max and alti....hmmm. interesting:)

three.fiveSE 06-01-2009 02:34 PM

Either way will look good, but what is awesome is that they are not going for looks, but strictly performance. If we can get 9whp like they are getting on other models, i will be happy

Oolatec 06-09-2009 09:13 AM

Update:

Dyno testing next week! June 15th.

Would you like to use your car?

Regards,
Ed
3.5, I'll chat it up with the guys next week... I can guarantee you they'd also want to test a stock setup as well. ;)

HMAX08 06-09-2009 09:22 AM

Oolatec, Keep us posted on this, i definitely would like to get in on a Group Deal for these. Hopefully it isnt tooo pricey. Thanks for bringing this to the org.

HMAX08 06-09-2009 09:34 AM

Oolatec, Keep us posted on this, i definitely would like to get in on a Group Deal for these. Hopefully it isnt tooo pricey. Thanks for bringing this to the org.

Oolatec 06-09-2009 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Hamchan (Post 7068084)

Will do! As far as price, I really don't know... but I would guess on par with Injen/Nismo. But given the amount of testing/research they put into their product (they design 100% of the system, while most companies just fab a metal tube, and use some generic filter with their name on it), something in the low to mid $200s wouldn't be bad at all.

If I can get a group deal, I will... :)

tonedef 06-09-2009 08:12 PM

nice

Oolatec 06-16-2009 08:29 PM

Dyno got rescheduled for this Thurs. I'll do my best to take pics and video. :)

SmokinMaxSE 07-02-2009 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Oolatec (Post 7078179)
Dyno got rescheduled for this Thurs. I'll do my best to take pics and video. :)

Update?

three.fiveSE 07-08-2009 12:56 PM

I think there was a miscommunication and not too sure when it is going to happen again. I had planned on being there when they did the tests, but they were not able to make it.

Havent heard from Oolatec about anything further...

HMAX08 07-08-2009 04:34 PM

i am disappointed, lol. I was really looking forward to this but as they say good things comes to those who wait.

Oolatec 07-09-2009 07:41 PM

lol Well, I'll be meeting up with them on Monday the 13th... I'll have pics and video this time... :)

SmokinMaxSE 07-10-2009 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Oolatec (Post 7108193)
lol Well, I'll be meeting up with them on Monday the 13th... I'll have pics and video this time... :)

Cool.

Oolatec 07-13-2009 02:34 PM

Cross-posted from 6th Gen... :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm baaaaaack!!!!

I'll work on posting some vids and pics later, but I just wanted to give everyone a quick update...

Their prototype tested 9hp+ and 4+ torque compared to the Fujita. I really couldn't believe it... :)

I have a dyno printout comparing the best runs of the Fujuta vs. R2Cs prototype.

The final product should be finished in a week... When it's done, I'll head into their place in Forest Park IL, and get it installed. Pics of the finished product when that day comes as well... of course! :)

I'll get vids/pics on later. Sorting through them now.

All in all, I did a total of 6 runs. 3 with the Fujita, and 3 with the R2C prototype... :)

Numbers for with the Fujita were:

Max Power = 245.15
Max Torque = 237.32

Numbers for the R2C prototype were:

Max Power = 254.10
Max Torque = 241.60

On a DynoJet. :)

I'll scan the dyno sheet later.

HMAX08 07-13-2009 02:47 PM

Well Mr. O, we cant wait, see if you can talk them into a group deal as well, maybe between the org and 6thgen site, we can get a good deal. Please post pics SOONNNNNNN, lol. You know us short ram guys cant wait. Thanks for posting

athlon omega 07-13-2009 03:07 PM

WoW I might be upgrading my Fujita to this intake soon. How's the sound compared to the Fujita?

tonedef 07-13-2009 03:23 PM

me likes...

Oolatec 07-13-2009 03:29 PM

Not too sure about a group deal, seeing as how much work has gone into this thing. I'll bring it up with Ed though!

Yeah, working on the vids/pics... chillaxxxx! ;)

One interesting thing the R2C guys were telling me... Fujita actually contacted them, asking if they could make filters for them. Fujita sent them a few of their filters for R2C to test, etc. Out of all the filters (K&N, AEM, RC2, Fujita, etc (there were a few more... I just can't remember which ones exactly), Fujita was the worst as far as restriction/filtration. Seeing as how my throttle body is pretty filthy, I'm inclined to believe them. lol

Sound-wise? I little more toned down at full throttle/6,500 RPM, but still a beast!

Keep in mind, the pics I have are of a prototype... but the finished product will look fan-f'n-tastic... I guarantee! :)

Oolatec 07-13-2009 03:40 PM

Fujita run:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0Rny1ujpcc

R2C prototype run:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeKXIFzemeU

m_turner_02 07-13-2009 03:51 PM

so this will be a short ram intake?

Oolatec 07-13-2009 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by m_turner_02 (Post 7113146)
so this will be a short ram intake?

Short ram with a heat shield around it that seals against the hood with a rubber gasket. Cold air benefits, with easy short-ram installation/maintenance. :)

m_turner_02 07-13-2009 03:59 PM

wonder if these will be compatible with the 3rd gen altima? I am 99% sure cold air intakes are the same for both, but what about wai? I like the results:)

Oolatec 07-13-2009 04:07 PM

Not sure with the 3rd Gen Altima. If you know of anyone close to Chicago, they can always go to R2Cs warehouse/factory and see if it will fit. :)

Oolatec 07-13-2009 04:28 PM

Pics! Keep in mind folks, this is a prototype... they brought the wrong heat shield with them, but that's not an issue at all... :)

Smaller filter at the bottom of the pic, and the tube outside of the box was for the Maxima. The other tube/filter was for the 2000 Mustang they were testing.

https://img504.imageshack.us/img504/...magejiz.th.jpg

Close-up of the filter itself. The honeycomb mesh is metal, and protects the filter media.

https://img504.imageshack.us/img504/...magejxr.th.jpg

Installed. Final product will be mandrel bent, and have the heat shield.

https://img504.imageshack.us/img504/...magepaa.th.jpg

What kind of finishes would you guys be interested in? They will have a black chrome (soooo bad-***... that's what they will be giving me)... they will also have a polished, and chrome I think. I can get definite details on that.

Price? It'll be a little more expensive... probably $200-$250... they weren't too talkative about that just yet, but I'll try and get something out of them. Considering all the research these guys have done, and the fact they manufacture the whole shebang, it's totally worth it.

Honestly, if you guys sell the Fujitas (which is what I will do. I honestly can't wait to get rid of that thing lol), cost really won't be much of an issue... I'll see what I can do! :)

Oolatec 07-13-2009 04:29 PM

Another angle:

https://img504.imageshack.us/img504/...mageuha.th.jpg

04CleanMaxx 07-13-2009 05:13 PM

How soon will this be for sale???

HMAX08 07-13-2009 05:23 PM

i vote black chrome, that woudl be nice. Regular chrome is nice too as my fstb is polished. I am very excited, work on them Mr. O on the price but 200-250 is reasonable, but the later is better, lol. thanks for the update. Guys give O the props he deserves.

Oolatec 07-13-2009 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by 04CleanMaxx (Post 7113225)
How soon will this be for sale???

Not sure... a few weeks hopefully... they should have a final product for me next week. I'll take it in for a test fit, and any tweaking that may need to be done... I'm sure they will want me to put some miles on it too. There isn't much room at all for the heat shield, but they will get it done... Once they are happy with the final product, they should start making them. I'd hate to really give a time frame, as any number of things could set things back.

And thanks Hamchan... Black Chrome is the seks!!!!!

cjbaldw 07-13-2009 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Oolatec (Post 7113133)

If that was the actual dyno run, then it was performed on a WAI intake with the hood up, which IME produces inaccurate/overinflated dyno results. Drop the hood and run the dyno again and I think you'll see numbers more in line with the CAI. I've seen WAI's dyno'd with the hood up time and time again, and dropping the hood almost always brings the dyno numbers back in line with a CAI. Just my .02 from having done this before myself.